http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 03:20:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cell Phones - Need recomendations on Service and Phone  (Read 1380 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 10, 2005, 11:47:49 PM »

My wife and I will be needing cell phones in the future unfortunately due to our horrible horrible schedule issues.  Here is what I'm thinking we need, maybe you guys can provide some insight:

We need two phones, could care less about text message, photo, etc. No extra features needed.
We need to be able to call eachother as much as we need to without using up minutes.
We probably would use at the most 600 minutes between the both of us.  
Trying to do this without spending a fortune.  

Who is good?  Who is bad?  What else should I be asking?  What else do you need to know?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 12:02:51 AM »

I would avoid Cingular like the plague. Frogs Honey and I use Sprint PCS and they're alright, but the trick was to get a family share plan for around 1000 anytime minutes that is $90 a month with taxes included. I've heard great things about T-Mobile, but their coverage area wasn't as broad as we needed them to be. They might have increased that since last year, but I haven't checked.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 12:10:53 AM »

I'm shooting for something more low-end than 90 a month.  We honestly both would rather do without the phones, so we don't want to bleed ourselves of a c-note just to have them.  :/

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 12:14:15 AM »

T-Mobile Cell plans

Cingular Wireless Choices

Sprint PCS choices

Nextel Choices

AT&T Wireless Choices

Try those and see if any work for you.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 12:28:23 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
I would avoid Cingular like the plague. Frogs Honey and I use Sprint PCS and they're alright, but the trick was to get a family share plan for around 1000 anytime minutes that is $90 a month with taxes included. I've heard great things about T-Mobile, but their coverage area wasn't as broad as we needed them to be. They might have increased that since last year, but I haven't checked.

You like Spring wbs?  cause I *HATE* them.  Yes hate...a cell phone company.   :roll:   But they're terrible, IMO.  Ill be dropping them like a bad habit as soon as my contract is up.

I had one...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 01:14:02 AM »

I suppose I should also mention that I'm in Phoenix.  I'm sure the mileage will vary a bit from city to city...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 02:02:55 AM »

Quote from: "GungHo"
Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

You like Sprint wbs?  cause I *HATE* them.  Yes hate...a cell phone company.   :roll:   But they're terrible, IMO.  Ill be dropping them like a bad habit as soon as my contract is up.

Allow me to point out I said they were alright. Initially, they were about the worst thing ever but once we got that straightened out they've been fine. Make no mistake though, when the two-year service plan is up next summer we'll be changing the next day. smile Just presenting all options here.

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 02:22:59 AM »

hate HATE HATE  T-Mobile.  They got into the habit of shutting my phone off before I ever got a bill in the mail- basing the shut-off ion the bill I was going to get a few days later.  drove me fucking batshit crazy.

I switched to at&t, which I liked, but they got bought by cingular, and I had to make the switch-off a few days ago.  so far, I like the fact that the added cingular coverage in the merged network actually includes my house (unlike at&t's spotty coverage only here) and the fact that I got a spiffy new phone out of it.  So far so good.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Warlord of Mars
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 02:54:39 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I suppose I should also mention that I'm in Phoenix.  I'm sure the mileage will vary a bit from city to city...

It does.  Even from state to state.  I'm in your area, and use T-Mobile.  No complaints.  They do have some basic plans that are pretty cheap.  Check them out.  I require a little more out of my cell phone than you do, so I won't recommend a phone.

"Bone breaking in the night, it's such a delight."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 03:41:54 AM »

I pay south of $80 for a Family Share Plan with Verizon.  With Verizon you would have unlimited minutes between the phones, so maybe that would be the way to go.  I believe Phoenix has good coverage via Verizon.  Yep, just looked at the map and Verizon covers Pheonix and a good radius around it.

Looks like right now they have a $59.99 per month Family Share Plan deal for 2 lines (unlimited IN or in network calling, Nights and Weekends).  Looks like $35 for 1-year activation and $15 for 2-year activation (one time fee).

You should also check your place of work.  Sometimes businesses have deals with cell phone companies that you can use via your employment there.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 04:52:56 AM »

You should also check your place of work. Sometimes businesses have deals with cell phone companies that you can use via your employment there.
Not a bad idea.  Given that the company I work for is a sub of The Washington Post, I wouldn't doubt it..just gotta dig the details out.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 06:58:10 PM »

My wife and I have used Verizon for about 3 years now.  2 phones with unlimited calling on the Verizon network (mainly between the two of us), and a pool of 1000 minutes or so shared between us.  $80 a month.  We liked it so much we dumped our SBC landline service and went strictly cellular.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 02:57:20 AM »

just wanted to bump this because my wife and i are in the same boat.  need 2 phones preferably with shared minutes around 500 and preferably unlimited on same network.  we also did not want to spend much more than $60 or so.  
anyone know of some good deals where we could get a free phone or more thrown into the deal?  my wife has been searching the web and has found some decent deals from online dealers, but i'm very skeptical and don't like the idea of entering a contract for a year or more with someone i can't see face to face.  anyone use an online company with success?

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 04:07:52 AM »

These days, if you are intending to have a phone for a while I would shy away from Verizon.

1.  They don't use SIM cards.  Those fancy little storage devices for your phonebook and any additional files you might want to accumulate if you get some fancy-pants phone.  They can be moved from phone to phone as you buy new ones without much hassle.

2.  There is something (please correct me if I am wrong) about Verizon not using satellites to exchange calls and therefore technology is basically out pacing their ability to handle such things as GSM, GPRS, EDGE, etc...

But how much you looking to spend on a phone and what do you want from it?  Just a phone to call people or do you want a PDA like device?  More specifics might help.  As of right now I would suggest checking out Cingular and T-Mobile.  Sprint is an option though I didn't like them and I don't know much about them anymore so listen to WBS.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 12:15:30 PM »

we are basically wanting to do exactely what ksd and his wife wants to do.  basic phone use, no pda or other fancy options.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: