http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 11:36:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CD Players In Cars On the way Out  (Read 402 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2013, 05:19:19 PM »

CD players make quiet exit from cars.

As both of our cars pre-date bluetooth in cars (at least at the pricepoints we bought), one of our cars (2002) has a tape deck and CD player and the other (2007) has an 'MP3' cd player.  On the former, the CD player gets a good bit of use with the kids, on the latter I almost always use a Jabra bluetooth fm modulator thing to listen to music from my phone.

I still buy an occasional CD, but most of my music is now purchased as MP3s from Amazon...
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »

My current ride has a single cd in the dash, and a factory installed cd changer in the back.  Haven't used either more than a handful of times - in fact I don't think either works anymore. I've used iPhone -> aux in jack for music since the day I got the car. 

My MIL has a 2007 car with a tape deck, believe it or not.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 05:27:44 PM »

My 6-disc changer in my F150 went out and I just paid $180 to get it fixed. I will eventually go digital but then what would I do with all my CD's?

And disc's and disc changers are on the way out.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »

C....Ds...?  those still exist?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 05, 2013, 05:31:44 PM

It only took 53 of them to install Skyrim.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 06:22:25 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 05, 2013, 05:52:39 PM

I remember being impressed with how many 5 floppies it took to play King's Quest IV (seven, if I remember right).  Skyrim would take about 5,000.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 05, 2013, 06:22:25 PM

Quote from: Moliere on August 05, 2013, 05:52:39 PM

I remember being impressed with how many 5 floppies it took to play King's Quest IV (seven, if I remember right).  Skyrim would take about 5,000.

Your mom takes about 5,000!

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 06:53:29 PM »

Since BT seems to affect sound quality, I just bridge my phone in with an aux cable while it sits on the charger.  I've even done it while listening to the local public radio station so that I can use my phone's nav system through the speakers as well.  The only reason I still have my CDs is that there are some that I need to re-rip due to issues with the first attempt a few years ago.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »

I'm still sporting a snazzy tape deck adapter to get my iPhone to play in my car.  Funny how I currently use my car's tape deck far more than I ever use its CD player.  Also funny is that the tape deck adapter gives better sound than you get with cars that are newer, but not new enough to have aux inputs (those FM adapter solutions are awful).
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »

The FM adapters are awful. Especially in a lager city.  When I had one after moving to Dallas, I used Radio Locator to try and find empty frequencies.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 07:07:47 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 05, 2013, 06:53:29 PM

Since BT seems to affect sound quality,

It's not unbearable.  Overall there's still good sound quality...and my car does not have an aux jack.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 07:58:39 PM »

My 9-year-old car has a 6-disk changer. I only ever make mix CDs for my car. In WMA format.

Looked into getting an auxiliary jack installed so that I could plug in my ipod, but the only nearby car stereo installer is Best Buy, and I'm not going to let them cut into my dashboard. Apparently car stereo shops are on the way out, too.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 09:17:45 PM »

My car just has a USB connector hidden in the console between the seats that I hook my MP3 player up to.  That was one of the deal breakers when I was looking at new cars 3 years ago, so I assume they have become more widespread since then.  

It also has a built-in hard drive I could rip music to, but only 10GB is usable by me so that's not nearly enough for my music collection.

I did have to use the CD player on one road trip after I made the mistake of doing a firmware update on my MP3 player just before leaving my parents' place.  Thankfully I had actually gotten a few CD's as gifts that holiday so I had them in the car.  smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 09:52:24 PM »

To explain how many times I have played a CD in my 2011 car - I'm not sure offhand if it has a CD player. I just use the USB to attach my iPhone. My 2006 car does have a CD player, a 5 disc in-dash, I think. Certainly not a feature I'll have on my checklist for my 2016 car.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 10:05:04 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on August 05, 2013, 07:58:39 PM

Looked into getting an auxiliary jack installed so that I could plug in my ipod, but the only nearby car stereo installer is Best Buy, and I'm not going to let them cut into my dashboard. Apparently car stereo shops are on the way out, too.

I had to replace the factory stereo in my car earlier this year.  I went to Best Buy and I'm very happy with the results.  There's a USB cable that runs behind the dash into my glove box where my 240GB customized iPod lives.   I either listen to my music from the iPod or my daughter tortures me with her music from the back seat via Bluetooth (current fave - One Direction.    saywhat  )

The only time I've put a disc into the stereo since it was installed in January was while the car was parked - I had to test out the DVD functionality at least once.  I"m not sure what the point of playing a movie on a tiny car stereo screen is but at least I know it works....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:43:39 PM by Exodor » Logged
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 10:18:07 PM »

compressing to MP3/AAC/OGG/etc loses sound quality. you could use FLAC/APE or apple's lossless, but you eat up quite a bit of disc space doing so, and... the car is hardly a pristine listening environment and compact discs were never intended for car use, i think... however, i do have many, many CDs accumulated over the years, so this is annoying - it's gonna be like 1993 again where i'd have to plug in a portable CD player (this time with a line-in cable as opposed to cassette deck adapter). then again, i don't own a car...
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 01:22:29 PM »

I'll occasionally play my iPod in my car, but since CDs still sound better than MP3s (and lossless files are too effing big to carry around in an iPod), I stick with CDs.

I didn't pay almost $1k for an upgraded sound system to not take advantage of it.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 01:25:48 PM »

What kind of audio system does your car have that you can even hear a diff-

Quote from: pr0ner on August 06, 2013, 01:22:29 PM

I didn't pay almost $1k for an upgraded sound system to not take advantage of it.

-oh.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 01:29:04 PM »

Ok. I'm no audiophile so grain of salt here, but several of you have mentioned the degradation of sound with CD vs Mp3 and some gobblygook.

Is it really noticeable given, as mentioned previously, the overall audio conditions of a car (road, engine noise, etc?) or going for a run or whatever?

I have a good surround sound system in my house, but I don't know that I have every bothered to tune it to perfection for movie viewing or music listening.

I also know that people spend $400.00 on a pair of headphones to maximize audio quality...but is it really that different?

I didn't pay almost $1k for an upgraded sound system to not take advantage of it

If I may ask: My assumption then is that that 1k bought better speakers...but what else? Better wiring? I know you drive a nice car, but what else did that 1k include and is there really that much of a difference between the system and the system + 1k?  Edit: pug beat me to it...same question though.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 06, 2013, 01:29:04 PM

I also know that people spend $400.00 on a pair of headphones to maximize audio quality...but is it really that different?

$400?  PFFFT!

A friend of mine spent $1000 on his headphone amp, plus probably $1500 for the headphones themselves.

As for how much of a difference you can hear, well...  It depends on your ears, of course.  Some people just are never going to hear an appreciable difference.  The recording quality also plays into it a lot.  Trying out that $$$ setup, it also seemed to matter greatly what kind of music you were listening to.

The best demo song my friend had for me was an opera recording.  With "just" a set of nice $300 headphones, it sounded great.  If you didn't know you were missing out on other sounds, you wouldn't know.  With the $2500 setup, you could hear more.  You could hear the musicians turning pages of their sheet music, for example.  Other sounds were more... crisp?  I guess the best way to put it was that it sounded more like you were there in person than like you were listening to a recording.

With other types of music I tried out, the difference between the $300 and $2500 listening experience was much less noticeable.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 06, 2013, 01:25:48 PM

What kind of audio system does your car have that you can even hear a diff-

Quote from: pr0ner on August 06, 2013, 01:22:29 PM

-oh.

Yeah.  Came with extra speakers and two subwoofers.  It's the Logic7 system found at the bottom of this page.

Why waste the goodness with compressed audio?

Of course, like pug said, recording quality does play into it, too.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:59:04 PM by pr0ner » Logged

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 03:13:16 PM »

Cars come with USBs now? As someone who has been living in Japan since 2005 and spends most of his transportation time in a train, I'm not sure I'd be able to find my way around the inside of a new car!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 03:24:39 PM »

I'll trade a little audio quality for having all of my music on a stick.  Of course, I am also 3/4 deaf, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »

I used to be an audio quality guy but form factor eventually won out for me.

My car has a CD slot, but it has not been used a single time since I purchased it in 2010.  My previous car also had a cd player which I know I used at some point, but definitely stopped using once the iPhone came around.  I can't remember the last physical CD I purchased.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 03:47:16 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 06, 2013, 01:29:04 PM

If I may ask: My assumption then is that that 1k bought better speakers...but what else? Better wiring? I know you drive a nice car, but what else did that 1k include and is there really that much of a difference between the system and the system + 1k?  Edit: pug beat me to it...same question though.

Yeah $1K is nothing in the car audio world.  My previous car (a show car for my cousin's audio shop) had single components that were way north of $1,000 retail.  I think overall the audio system in that thing was in the $7-8K retail range, which is absurd.

Your source is a point of upgrade, more money there includes better circuitry/hardware (along with fancy pants features that do little to upgrade the SQ but are more of toys/eye candy).  The most important of upgrade to the source is the ability to pass a higher voltage connection to the amplifier, which is going to do the heavy lifting from there.

Amps themselves have very little in terms of features (mostly tuning - mine had the ability to be tuned by an application on a computer).  Their price is based primarily on their ability to output a) clean sound and b) loud sound.

Then you have the speakers.  Again you are paying for quality of components (material of the cones, horns, size of magnets etc...) and the # of components.  The more you specialize your speakers (from both a location and frequency standpoint), the better they sound.

All in all, it's a fairly stupid hobby and one I am glad I no longer participate in.

Edit: I should note that all of my info is circa 2005, so it may be a bit on the old side.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 05:49:26 PM »

My hearing sucks now so as long as their is no hiss I am happy. I had hoped to get a new F150 with built in USB ports but that has not happened, and probably will not happen for quite some time. But even the modern truck has ports built in for IPods and the like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: