http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 12:13:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Causality-Violating Higgs Singlets discovered tomorrow at the LHC  (Read 2207 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »

A funny thing about light speed is that the closer you get to it, the more 2D everything will seem.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2011, 05:21:50 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 18, 2011, 05:12:56 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 18, 2011, 01:06:42 AM

What?  No!  Who said anything about moving faster than light?

I didn't say that it is possible to move faster than light, just that if you could, you would be able to see into the past, by virtue of arriving somewhere prior to the light being able to show it on your original time.

I understood what you said, but the question you were addressing was "what does the speed of light have to do with time?" and the speed of light has a lot more to do with time than what you suggested.

Your time travel scenario is something any of us can do without even a flux capacitor.  Just look up on a clear night and observe things that happened a million years ago.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2011, 05:35:37 PM »

Enchantment!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2011, 05:42:35 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 18, 2011, 05:21:50 PM

Quote from: Scraper on March 18, 2011, 05:12:56 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 18, 2011, 01:06:42 AM

What?  No!  Who said anything about moving faster than light?

I didn't say that it is possible to move faster than light, just that if you could, you would be able to see into the past, by virtue of arriving somewhere prior to the light being able to show it on your original time.

I understood what you said, but the question you were addressing was "what does the speed of light have to do with time?" and the speed of light has a lot more to do with time than what you suggested.

Your time travel scenario is something any of us can do without even a flux capacitor.  Just look up on a clear night and observe things that happened a million years ago.

True enough. Plus my brain hurts.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2011, 06:09:11 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 18, 2011, 05:42:35 PM

Let's twist the knife, then!  Shall we?

You're sitting on a bus stop bench that is just sitting there in one spot as benches are known to do.

I, on the other hand, am driving the finest in Hyundai nuclear powered rocket cars and I zoom past you at a ridiculous pace.

Due to special relativity and time dilation, you observe that the Rolex watch I am wearing is advancing much more slowly than your own timepiece.

Naturally, as I look out my Hyundai window I would see your Casio moving much faster than my Rolex, right?  If my time is moving slower, then yours should be faster?

Nope.  To me it looks as if your Casio is moving much more slowly than my Rolex.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2011, 08:35:03 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 18, 2011, 06:09:11 PM

You're sitting on a bus stop bench that is just sitting there in one spot as benches are known to do.

I, on the other hand, am driving the finest in Hyundai nuclear powered rocket cars and I zoom past you at a ridiculous pace.

Due to special relativity and time dilation, you observe that the Rolex watch I am wearing is advancing much more slowly than your own timepiece.

Naturally, as I look out my Hyundai window I would see your Casio moving much faster than my Rolex, right?  If my time is moving slower, then yours should be faster?

Nope.  To me it looks as if your Casio is moving much more slowly than my Rolex.

Man, those are some big watches.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2011, 11:09:17 PM »

That's because your Hyundai is actually a piece of junk, and his bench is zooming past you.

Ale
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2011, 03:20:29 PM »

Don't you mean "spatial" relativity??
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »

No?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: