http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:17:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Capt. America back from the dead...  (Read 2887 times)
javahead
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2007, 09:58:30 PM »

and brought into the 21st Century.
When Captain America returns to the pages of his comic book in January, it won't be his star-spangled new duds getting all the attention. Instead it will be what he's wielding in his right hand, the one once reserved for pummeling the jaws of evil. Come next year, he'll be gripping cold, hard steel.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/15/AR2007101501494.html?hpid=topnews

I think they should have left him dead, personally.  icon_eek

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:03:47 PM »

Probably be a clone of Steve.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 10:09:40 PM »

Captain America Lives

and he has a gun

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 10:10:52 PM »

About damn time.  Just seemed kind of off that his main ranged attack resulted in him losing his most potent defense, his indestructible shield.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:12:15 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 16, 2007, 10:10:52 PM

About damn time.  Just seemed kind of off that his main ranged attack resulted in him losing his most potent defense, his indestructible shield.

for what, the gun or the resurrection?  +1 for the former.  everyone expected the latter.

odd, i hit reply before your edit.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 10:29:25 PM »

I'm curious how he's going to use the gun.  Is he going to use it mainly as a scare tactic or will he actually kill people?

Maybe it shoots sparkles or a cool refreshing stream of spring water.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 10:48:33 PM »

I heard some earlier rumors that the Punisher would become the new Captain America, and even if he's not it seems the character might be leaning towards that style more.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 12:05:36 AM »

Apparently Cap also will blind enemies with his chest plate as well.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 12:28:33 AM »

Quote from: Nth Power on October 16, 2007, 10:29:25 PM

I'm curious how he's going to use the gun.  Is he going to use it mainly as a scare tactic or will he actually kill people?

Maybe it shoots sparkles or a cool refreshing stream of spring water.

he'll shoot it A-Team style!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 01:03:05 AM »

You know, Captain America is such a big guy. He has the big ass shield and overall just a lot of bigness for the character.

Why give him 1 colt 1911 pistol? Does that not seem out of proportion with everything else? Dual pistols woud be cool, or attach a chaingun to the shield or something. But I mean 1 pistol just looks retarded. I mean how is that going to play out.

"Captain America uses his shield for cover, then dives out from his shield, pistol blazing and fires off a stunning 8 rounds while rolling behind a dumster."

*Captain America reloads*

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 03:44:40 AM »

Shoulda gave him the glaive from Krull

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 03:54:19 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 17, 2007, 03:44:40 AM

Shoulda gave him the glaive from Krull

well, he does have a knife......

Because I can,
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 12:56:47 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on October 17, 2007, 01:03:05 AM

You know, Captain America is such a big guy. He has the big ass shield and overall just a lot of bigness for the character.

Why give him 1 colt 1911 pistol? Does that not seem out of proportion with everything else? Dual pistols woud be cool, or attach a chaingun to the shield or something. But I mean 1 pistol just looks retarded. I mean how is that going to play out.

"Captain America uses his shield for cover, then dives out from his shield, pistol blazing and fires off a stunning 8 rounds while rolling behind a dumster."

*Captain America reloads*

Something like this would be a bit more appropriate then.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 12:59:55 PM »

Quote from: CSL on October 17, 2007, 12:05:36 AM

I think he robbed his new wardrobe from Zack (DOA4).

edit: errr, "Liberated for the good of America".

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 02:30:46 PM »

Man, when they "kill" a superhero, can't they at least leave him alone for a year?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 02:34:04 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 17, 2007, 12:59:55 PM

Quote from: CSL on October 17, 2007, 12:05:36 AM

I think he robbed his new wardrobe from Zack (DOA4).

edit: errr, "Liberated for the good of America".

it makes him look 'FABULOUS'!

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 03:53:31 PM »

It's either Jim "Bucky" Barnes or (my guess) the Punisher.

But I'm thinking it might be Barnes (Winter Soldier) not only because of his ties to Cap, but because he uses guns (and even lethal force) as well.  And while it could be the Punisher... would he really want just a pistol?  Seems kind of light for him.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 17, 2007, 03:53:31 PM

It's either Jim "Bucky" Barnes or (my guess) the Punisher.

But I'm thinking it might be Barnes (Winter Soldier) not only because of his ties to Cap, but because he uses guns (and even lethal force) as well.  And while it could be the Punisher... would he really want just a pistol?  Seems kind of light for him.

I think the Punisher gave up on his attempt to be like Captain America and gave Cap's mask back to Barnes.  I doubt it will be someone with their own established comic, so I'm guessing Barnes aka Winter Soldier aka Bucky.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 04:19:55 PM »

Well, I just looked up Barnes on Wikipedia, and Barnes was recently captured by Red Skull.

Now that doesn't completely discount Barnes: perhaps they will re-brainwash him and have him "become" Captain America, as part of their dastardly plan.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 04:58:06 PM »

I can just see the planning session behind this:

"Hey guys, we need Cap to have another weapon."
"Hmm, what would go well with a shield?"
"A bat"
"A pen!"
"A chicken!!"
"..."
"What about a sword? Y'know sword and shield"
"Ok, we're going with a pistol"
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 08:40:59 PM »

How about a gunsword?  It worked for FFVIII.  Even though I never shot anything with it.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 07:39:01 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 17, 2007, 02:30:46 PM

Man, when they "kill" a superhero, can't they at least leave him alone for a year?

While I agree, and it's stupid how often they do this in comics (Superman, anyone?), this is (from what I've read) not going to be *the* Cap returning, but someone else taking up the shield in his stead.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »

There's actually a scene recently where Tony Stark (Iron Man) finds a letter that Cap wrote before his death, apparently during the Civil War, basically staying that if and when he died, that he didn't want the name to vanish, that someone had to take up the shield as Captain America, and that he was relying on Tony to find someone to do it.

So yeah, the concept of the 'name' coming back, but not the same person is quite likely.  It's happened before, remember, when Cap was 'fired' and they had someone else in the costume (the guy who is now US Agent).  And it's not like it's happened to other hero names.  It's just that this is Captain AMERICA.
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 08:47:04 PM »

You can't really say you didn't expect Cap to not come back.  The man is one of Marvel's most iconic characters, of course he will be back.  We can even know Steve Rogers will be back eventually.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 08:48:45 PM »

That I doubt.  Apparently when Steve died...his body all but disintegrated.  A clone, maybe, but not him.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 08:58:42 PM »

Wash. Post had a fun article about all this:

Good Guy With a Gun: A Superhero For the Times
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/15/AR2007101501494.html

I like where the comic shop owner mentions that in the 1940s Cap ran around with a machine gun in one hand (probably a Tommy Gun) while Bucky had a flamethrower (!). So it's not like Cap has been running around inserting flowers into enemy weapons and saying "Can't we give peace a chance?" his whole comic book run. icon_smile It has been interesting seeing how different writers handle him, or how different animated series portray him. Some portray him as this "government tool," while others portray him as someone questioning the very idea of a "super soldier." I bought the graphic novel compilation a few years back that had him battling terrorists in a small U.S. town just post-9/11. Pretty powerful stuff.

Although I've been a Cap fan since I was a kid, I'm not all that up in arms about a "new Cap" with a pistol. It just seems like killing is generally against what most spandex super heroes stand for, so I'm not sure how Marvel's writers are going to include a pistol in it unless he just uses it as a tool (like blasting a chandeleir so it drops on some evildoer).

Besides, given that Steve Rogers got blown up in a plane and was buried in the ice for decades, and survived, I just have this vision of his snipered corpse getting cryogenically frozen, propped up next to poor Ted Williams, and then probably getting revived by Reed Richard's grandson in 2148 who magically revives him ... or better yet, swipes Steve Roger's DNA and creates a clone of him. Oh yes, I can think like a cheesy comic book plotter.  saywhat

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2007, 02:12:05 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 18, 2007, 08:47:04 PM

You can't really say you didn't expect Cap to not come back.  The man is one of Marvel's most iconic characters, of course he will be back.  We can even know Steve Rogers will be back eventually.

Oh, I have no doubt he will. But they're at least not bringing him back within the first year post-mortem. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2007, 02:18:01 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 18, 2007, 08:58:42 PM

Besides, given that Steve Rogers got blown up in a plane and was buried in the ice for decades, and survived, I just have this vision of his snipered corpse getting cryogenically frozen, propped up next to poor Ted Williams, and then probably getting revived by Reed Richard's grandson in 2148 who magically revives him ... or better yet, swipes Steve Roger's DNA and creates a clone of him. Oh yes, I can think like a cheesy comic book plotter.  saywhat

alternate earth dark future Captain America?
nanite infested cyborg Captain America?

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 16, 2007, 10:09:40 PM

Captain America Lives

and he has a gun

I'm looking at the face in the picture... and it looks like The Punisher.  I could be wrong, since different artists might make the face look a bit different, but that's my guess.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 04:35:14 PM »

Nah.  The cover to the most recent issue of Cap is almost blatantly telling us it's going to be Bucky:

Note the shield and gun placement....

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2007, 04:34:50 PM »

I was kind of thinking it would be Bucky, especially since many of the Captain America comics I've read recently seemed to be more about Jim Barnes than Steve Rogers.

I think more I was hoping it would be The Punisher, since I like the character.  But from a sales perspective, they would have to cancel at least two series  (I think Punisher and War Journal?) to go with a Punisher cap, whereas Buckie was already a regular character in the Captain America comics.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 06:33:04 AM »

I didn't follow Cap, so any chance I can get a quick primer on who Bucky is?

And what's this comic I saw in stores that had some Captain America strapped to a chair using some form of telepathy to help some soldier in Iraq?
unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 04:37:14 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 23, 2007, 06:33:04 AM

I didn't follow Cap, so any chance I can get a quick primer on who Bucky is?

Jim "Bucky" Barnes was Cap's sidekick character in the classic WW2-era comics.  The last mission they were on in that era, Bucky died trying to disarm a bomb on the wing of an airplane (in flight), and Cap fell into the arctic waters, freezing him in ice for several decades.

But what actually happened with Bucky turned out a bit differently than what Cap remembered.  Bucky's sleeve had been caught on the wing near the bomb, and when it exploded, Bucky fell off into the arctic waters and was frozen, as Cap would shortly afterward.  However, Jim Barnes was found by the Soviets, who brainwashed him, gave him a robotic arm/shoulder, and used him as an assassin.  The program was similar (and may have shared some resources with) the Canadian/USA's infamous "Weapon X" program, the same one which brainwashed, augmented, and trained characters like Wolverine, Sabretooth, and others.

Eventually the Red Skull "acquired" Jim Barnes, who had now become known as the Winter Soldier, but Captain America found out Bucky was still alive and managed to restore his memory.  Needless to say, Bucky is having trouble reconciling with the things he did in his past, just as had Wolverine once his memories were restored.

This may not be 100% accurate, since I've actually been reading around it (mostly through stuff involving Wolverine), rather than reading the Captain America comics.  But one great source about all things comic related is, surprisingly enough, Wikipedia.  They do a really fantastic job on comic book characters and storylines (DC and Marvel are really good, Dark Horse stuff like Hellboy not so much, probably simply due to the huge amount of people who read DC/Marvel).
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2007, 09:07:51 AM »

I kind of don't want to look at Wikipedia for comic info, if only because I always end up wasting hours reading up on characters and stories, which then ends up with me buying some new comics in my 2 local comic shops.  It's a vicious cycle. Tongue

Right now I'm limited to Fables issues, Runaways trades, Crossing Midnight trades, and if they ever release the next one, Powers trades.
unbreakable
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2007, 02:59:33 PM »

I've been thinking of getting "30 Days of Night".  But I'd kind of like to finish "Lone Wolf and Cub" before I take on any new series.
unbreakable
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2007, 01:41:59 AM »

I forgot to post on this.

A few weeks ago I picked up Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America.  It covers the story of what happened after Cap died.

Well, I don't think he actually died.  I'll spoiler quote my theory:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think Tony Stark had him captured and cryogenically frozen (again, really).  Why?  Basically, he thought Cap going to trial and winning would torpedo everything he had built, and I think Stark started enjoying being in charge of everyone and everything way too much.

At the end of Fallen Son, Stark holds a private funeral for Steve Roger's REAL body.  He states the one in Arlington is a fake.  The funeral is in the arctic, where the casket is sent into the sea, and he gets Namor to pledge not to let anyone get near it.  Namor agrees... but I think Tony fools him into protecting the secret that Cap is not dead, and is frozen inside the casket (Namor would never knowingly agree to such a subterfuge against one of his oldest friends).  Thus, nobody will ever (at least until it happens eventually) find out that Iron Man was responsible for... well, not the death of Steve Rogers, but certainly removing him from the world.

From what I've heard, Tony Stark is missing after his confrontation with The Hulk in the recent "Planet Hulk" story arc.  Meaning... it may be a while before Steve Rogers returns to the Marvel Universe.  But the good thing is, the real Cap is not dead, and they don't have to make some kind of lame justification for his return.  He will come back to life in a direct parallel to his previous return.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 02:03:40 AM by unbreakable » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2007, 08:28:49 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on November 10, 2007, 01:41:59 AM

I forgot to post on this.

A few weeks ago I picked up Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America.  It covers the story of what happened after Cap died.

wow, they didn't waste anytime getting that out.  I've just gotten back into Marvel, and I can see myself buying a ton of those collections- especially the Civil War ones, House of M and the Hulk stuff.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2007, 06:47:00 AM »

I'm really digging the Civil War stuff, more than I thought I would.  And the Hulk stuff is just incredible!  I can't wait for the World War Hulk TPB, it's out soon.  Also, my friend just picked up some House of M stuff, I read the first one, it's really good. 

I've been trying to balance out with some DC stuff as well, but the whole Infinity Crisis thing really kind of boggles my mind.  Looking at it, it's probably better to retcon things than try to explain them.  It's certainly less confusing.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2007, 10:26:57 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on November 11, 2007, 06:47:00 AM

I've been trying to balance out with some DC stuff as well, but the whole Infinity Crisis thing really kind of boggles my mind.  Looking at it, it's probably better to retcon things than try to explain them.  It's certainly less confusing.

The Batman comics just started 'The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul' which is supposed to be a major event.  I have the first 2 parts but haven't read them yet.  the whole 52 week thing does look pretty complicated- I don't think I'll touch it at all.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2007, 09:59:58 PM »

Actually, the 52 thing seems sort of interesting.  I have no idea why all the major heroes would be gone for a year, but I kind of like how the other powers would have to 'step up' to fill in, simply out of necessity.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: