http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 09:13:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: canine teeth cleaning  (Read 805 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2005, 09:42:39 PM »

How safe is this procedure? It involves anestetic and im REALLY worried about this. I know 2 people personallythat have lost dogs to this even witha pre procedure test and I hear stories onlineabout it. We've had other dogs put to sleep for other things and they've done fine. Then again we lost one ourself cause it did not wake up properly. Im not sure if that was due to the gas or the surgery itself though.

My little dog needs his teeth cleaned badly. His back teeth are completely covered in tartar and just today a piece came out and I think it has a tooth in it. He is 6 years old and overweight..he should weigh about 5 lbs but weighs about 10 lbs. He has never been anestetised. Im so scared of losing him that Ive put this off at least 3 years longer than I should have already. But Im still hesitant. He's like my son, probably even care more for him than i woulda kid lol.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 10:25:52 PM »

I know a family friend who is a vet, and he told me (about a dog we used to own) that not getting your dog's teeth cleaned is dangerous, not as much because of the plaque and possibilities of cavities, but because of the bacteria which is present. I cant remember exactly what he said, but if I remember correctly is is a much bigger deal and you are more likely to lose your dog by not getting the teeth cleaned then you are to lose it putting it under. Plus he said that the new medicines are much better, and the chances of losing your dog are much much smaller then they used to be. Have a chat with your vet about it. They will know what is best.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 05:09:30 AM »

Our dog had some other issues recently but I won`t ever begin to get into this :cry: , but seems to be doing really good recently biggrin . Hopefully this continues.
 But anywho, we had our dogs teeth cleaned only because he was already getting something else done that required him to be put under. I`d ask the vet all kinds of questions just to be safe. Ask, ask, and ask more. It never hurts.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 01:08:01 PM »

We've had our dogs teeth cleaned (and man did they need it!  Whew!) and didn't have a problem.    Chrisoc13 is right though, if the plaque gets into the dogs bloodstream it can cause a lot more damage than the risk of the anesthetic.  I'm right there with you on my love for my dogs man...I know exactly what you are going through.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 01:51:08 PM »

I've had my cats teeth cleaned several times with no problems.  There is always a danger when you are anesthetizing an animal (or human for that matter).  If you trust your vet, I wouldn't worry.  

BTW, my vets have always done a urine anaylisis before hand to make sure the animal was up to anesthesia.   Not sure if this is only for cats.

Formerly known as "matt" on GG
fountainpengwen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 03:49:25 AM »

My opinion as a vet student...
Yes, those who have told you that it can be more dangerous to not have your dog's teeth cleaned are correct.  Bacteria that build up on his teeth could potentially cause infections in other organs, such as the kidneys, heart, etc.

And yes, any anesthetic procedure has risks involved, but if you trust your veterinarian, and they are experienced, the risks will be minimal.  Your vet should take a blood sample before the procedure to check the liver and kidney values for your dog.  There are certain chemicals that will increase if the liver or kidney are not functioning well, and this is important to know, since these organs function in metabolizing the anesthetic drugs (getting them out of your dog's system).  Of course, it is possible to have early liver or kidney disease that does not yet show up on a blood profile, but by having the bloodwork, the risks associated with anesthesia are minimalized.

If you're still worried about the procedure, I'd talk to your veterinarian.  I'm sure they would be happy to explain things to you.

Also, my dog has had dental cleanings in the past, and has always done well even though she has an immune disorder and liver disease.  smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 02:20:04 PM »

This is helping easy my worries a little. I think my 2 biggest fears at this time are high weight and his sleep apnnea. My wife says shes never heard of that in dogs. Its where someone sleeping will stop breathing for a bit then start again. My little dog does that. he will stop breathing for a bit then gasp for breath quickly a few times then back to normal. Only does it when he is sleeping.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: