http://gamingtrend.com
September 24, 2014, 12:56:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadians: Is Bell Internet faster than Rogers Cable?  (Read 1980 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2008, 02:07:16 PM »

Moving in July to a new house in a different town just wondering what Internet service is better suited for MMO playing.

Anyone try both?(Bell or Rogers-cable)

Grace: Unmerited favor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 02:13:09 PM »

well, Bell moves it's packest by moose while Rogers uses the geese protocol which is normally faster except in the winter where the speed goes south on you.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:16:53 PM »

I'm not sure it would make much difference for MMO playing.  Either DSL will be fast enough.  The speed difference will come in downloading the patches maybe, but you can call and see how many mb's you're getting with each package.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 02:19:52 PM »

I've had Bell DSL in the past, and it was good.  Howver the company is terrible to deal with.  I've gotten rid of any BELL services totally.  I went to VOIP phone, and get my cable through a local provider which purchases from Cogeco.  If you've ever had to deal with Bell Canada, you'd know why.  They are also one of the companies looking into bandwith throttling.

I would also look at download/upload caps.. many of the companies are different.

"Goonies never say die"
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 02:21:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 12, 2008, 02:13:09 PM

well, Bell moves it's packest by moose while Rogers uses the geese protocol which is normally faster except in the winter where the speed goes south on you.

Although a Moose is a big lumbering beast at least its sticks around for the Winter....Hard choice. Not sure I want to put my money on a Goose who heads to Florida in November..

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 03:48:33 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 12, 2008, 02:21:04 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 12, 2008, 02:13:09 PM

Although a Moose is a big lumbering beast at least its sticks around for the Winter....Hard choice. Not sure I want to put my money on a Goose who heads to Florida in November..

I'm still trying to figure out what packest is. I think this would have been funnier if you had pulled this off without the typo.

It's OK, CK, you'll try again later. It might be funny then. Tongue

(You should have made some mention of the Beaver torrent variant for pr0n downloads... maybe even alluding to the fact that the pictures were of real beavers and not vaginas. There's some comedy gold in them thar hills; have at'r.)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 03:50:45 PM »

Oh, I've been on Shaw forever. (Rogers).

Manitoba:
Bell=MTS=DSL
Shaw=Rogers=Cable

On Shaw I have 10Mbps service for 39.99. (on a promo right now, 10 bux off)
The same speed on MTS would cost somewhere in the 60's.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 05:01:03 PM »

Rogers is going to be implementing a bandwidth cap starting in June. I'm looking into alternative providers right now. It's at 60GB, but I'm what they call a heavy user: last month I ran through 60GB three weeks into the month.
Both Bell and Rogers throttles torrent traffic (which I use to get my TV goodness). I believe Bell is more aggressive than Rogers though.

DSL speed depends on how far you are away from a switching station. Cable speed depends on how many people around you are online.

If your main concern is MMOs, either service will be fine.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 07:50:15 PM »

Thanks all.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 08:27:11 PM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on May 12, 2008, 05:01:03 PM

I'm looking into alternative providers right now.

Heh, does that mean you'll be changing your avatar? Those beaver mascots annoy me. And man, is Bell ever relentless! It's been about a year and a half since we quit Bell and went with VoiP through our cable company. Bell's been at us ever since, trying to get us to reconsider. The truth is, they don't give a dam (haha) when you're with them, only when you're not. They're too big for their own good and don't know the meaning of customer service and competition, charging an arm and a leg for basic services.  They have the gall to harass us with telemarketing calls day after day.
The Mad Hatter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 08:55:15 PM »

I've had both Bell and Rogers Portable Internet out on the outskirts of Ottawa - something around here began interfering with the signal last summer, and since they share the same towers and basic technology both ISPs had the issue. I eventually moved onto Xplornet's WiMAX network and have had no problems since. There are better providers out there than either Rogers or Bell, but if I had to choose one I'd go with Rogers. Bell not only had the packet loss issue, but unlike Rogers their network always slowed down a lot in the evenings. They also have truly abysmal customer service.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 12:30:15 AM »

Too bad you're not moving into Cogeco territory. IMO the best internet provider in the province.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: