http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 07:02:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada losing its "second national anthem"? UPDATED-Not lost, but almost as bad  (Read 1826 times)
JayDee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2008, 05:18:03 PM »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/437636
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 02:45:55 AM by JayDee » Logged
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:23:21 PM »

$500 per broadcast

Wow!  Probably the one show on the CBC that actually generates revenue, and they only had to pay $500 per broadcast?

Be interesting to see if lots of Hockey fans write in to complain, CBC has bent over backwards to appease them in the past.

16-bit and loving it!
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 05:31:29 PM »

Read this earlier today and was saddened.  Hopefully the fans can save this one.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 05:50:57 PM »

Why would you guys have a national anthem other than the Star Spangled Banner? I'm pretty sure that's sedition.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 05:53:44 PM »

Thats insane.  HNIC is the only thing the CBC has going for it, and they'd allow one of the strongest traditions of that show to be lost due to $500 per broadcast?  Another example of the ineptness of the CBC.  Hockey fans in Canada will freak out.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 06:18:09 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on June 05, 2008, 05:53:44 PM

Thats insane.  HNIC is the only thing the CBC has going for it, and they'd allow one of the strongest traditions of that show to be lost due to $500 per broadcast?  Another example of the ineptness of the CBC.  Hockey fans in Canada will freak out.

But they won't stop watching.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 07:18:55 PM »

Not like it matters much to me since I'm not into Hockey, but they could always, you know, write a new theme.  But, I do find that little by little, Canada is losing some of its distinctiveness due to greedy people. First the censorship bill issue and now this. What's sad is that CBC is really the only one still airing lots of Canadian Content. The others like CTV and Global fight each other on who will kick more ass with American TV shows they've bought and then do the signal superstitions thing to get more advertising dollars. Lazy BS.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 07:21:49 PM by Rumpy » Logged
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 07:31:07 PM »

Canadians wont stop watching a show because the theme song isnt the same anymore.

It's hockey, it's what they do, they'll keep watching even if the intro is annoying and stupid.  They just wont switch over to the game until right before ti starts or just mute the beginning.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
tjg_marantz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 08:16:55 PM »

It's just negotiating tactics. That song ain't going anywhere.
Jolor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 01:48:56 PM »

Quote from: tjg_marantz on June 06, 2008, 08:16:55 PM

It's just negotiating tactics. That song ain't going anywhere.

Agreed.  I'm sure Sportsnet or TSN would like to take over the rights if CBC doesn't come to an agreement with the author.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 02:19:48 AM »

They just announced that CTV bought the rights and that they'll be using it on TSN and the Vancouver Olympics.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 02:40:31 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on June 10, 2008, 02:19:48 AM

They just announced that CTV bought the rights and that they'll be using it on TSN and the Vancouver Olympics.

Booooo. CTV is claiming that they "saved" the song for Canadian hockey fans. Given a bit more time I'm sure the CBC would have reached a deal with the rights holders. I'm upset that CBC let it get this far, but I'm even angrier at CTV for putting the nail in the coffin. Hockey Night in Canada will never be the same. I don't know why this news affected me so much, but for some inexplicable reason, I'm saddened by this news.

I think I may have found something else to do on Wednesday night rather than watch TSN's Wednesday Night Hockey. Blech.
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 03:08:12 AM »

Quote from: JayDee on June 10, 2008, 02:40:31 AM

Booooo. CTV is claiming that they "saved" the song for Canadian hockey fans. Given a bit more time I'm sure the CBC would have reached a deal with the rights holders. I'm upset that CBC let it get this far, but I'm even angrier at CTV for putting the nail in the coffin. Hockey Night in Canada will never be the same. I don't know why this news affected me so much, but for some inexplicable reason, I'm saddened by this news.

I think I may have found something else to do on Wednesday night rather than watch TSN's Wednesday Night Hockey. Blech.

I agree. I heard this and was annoyed to no end at CTV. Why even do it? Do they honestly think they will gain much of anything out of having a 1-2 minute tune to play at the start of their game? I wonder how much they paid, CBC apparently offered 'high six figures' for it, and was turned down. I'm not going to tune in to CTV/TSN simply because they have the song now. The song *is* part of Saturday night hockey on CBC to me, but it only is the first minute of it. I'll still tune in most Saturdays to watch the CBC games, and continue to ignore most of the TSN games.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 03:14:06 AM »

Quote from: Jiffy on June 10, 2008, 03:08:12 AM

I agree. I heard this and was annoyed to no end at CTV. Why even do it? Do they honestly think they will gain much of anything out of having a 1-2 minute tune to play at the start of their game? I wonder how much they paid, CBC apparently offered 'high six figures' for it, and was turned down. I'm not going to tune in to CTV/TSN simply because they have the song now. The song *is* part of Saturday night hockey on CBC to me, but it only is the first minute of it. I'll still tune in most Saturdays to watch the CBC games, and continue to ignore most of the TSN games.

I always found TSN's broadcasts to be annoying anyways. Their panel of analysts is terrible and they have Pierre McGuire.  I'm not going to kid myself and say that I'm going to boycott all of their broadcasts, but in my own defiant way, I may find myself muting the intro if I happen to tune in early. Heck, I might just play the .mp3 myself before a Saturday game starts.
walie
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 03:17:36 AM »

Quote from: JayDee on June 10, 2008, 03:14:06 AM

I always found TSN's broadcasts to be annoying anyways. Their panel of analysts is terrible and they have Pierre McGuire.  I'm not going to kid myself and say that I'm going to boycott all of their broadcasts, but in my own defiant way, I may find myself muting the intro if I happen to tune in early. Heck, I might just play the .mp3 myself before a Saturday game starts.

They got a MONSTER intro now.  Plus it was getting annoying watching McGuire having an orgasm everytime Paneuf did something

On a related note, Stompin' Tim Connors says he would be open to having the Hockey Song used as HNIC's new intro
tjg_marantz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 03:21:28 AM »

Don't blame CTV, blame CBC squarely, bunch of fucktards.

As for Stompin' Tom as the intro... marvelous idea. Just like MNF, have him sing it and all that stuff.

Fuck you CBC
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 03:24:11 AM »

Quote from: walie on June 10, 2008, 03:17:36 AM

Quote from: JayDee on June 10, 2008, 03:14:06 AM

They got a MONSTER intro now.  Plus it was getting annoying watching McGuire having an orgasm everytime Paneuf did something

On a related note, Stompin' Tim Connors says he would be open to having the Hockey Song used as HNIC's new intro

I noticed this is your first post. Welcome!
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 03:28:46 AM »

Quote from: tjg_marantz on June 10, 2008, 03:21:28 AM

As for Stompin' Tom as the intro... marvelous idea. Just like MNF, have him sing it and all that stuff.

Fuck you CBC

But CBC offered "high six figures". I really don't know the full story yet, but if they made a legit offer and CTV blindsided them by making an outrageous offer of their own then you can't blame CBC fully. I can't comment too much until I know the full story, but I have to question why CTV bid in the first place. Yes, I know the business world is harsh and cruel, but do they really think they are going to get a positive reaction by taking away the iconic theme to the longest running program in Canadian television? I'd much prefer the theme to not be used at all rather than having CTV/TSN get their grubby hands all over it. Leave my hockey alone, thanks.

EDIT: A post from another hockey forum puts another twist on it.

"How about booing Dolores Claman and her lawyer for selling out? CBC are not the only ones who disrespected the tradition. I can't help but think that Claman and John Ciccone were negotiating with CTV this whole time and that's the reason they turned down the 6-figure offer. They knew they could get a better deal elsewhere and in the meantime, screwed a Saturday night tradition."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:34:34 AM by JayDee » Logged
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 11:24:25 PM »

Thanks to Mike Myers, the Hockey Theme will be linked to Hockey Night in Canada one more time. You'll just have to go see The Love Guru, opening June 20, to hear it.

The funnyman from Scarborough, Ont. and regular at Toronto Maple Leafs games insisted that the song be used in scenes that spoof the CBC show in his latest movie, in which he plays a self-help instructor hired to get a Leafs star player over a broken heart.

Globe & Mail article

16-bit and loving it!
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 04:37:56 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on June 10, 2008, 03:28:46 AM

Quote from: tjg_marantz on June 10, 2008, 03:21:28 AM

Fuck you CBC

But CBC offered "high six figures". I really don't know the full story yet, but if they made a legit offer and CTV blindsided them by making an outrageous offer of their own then you can't blame CBC fully. I can't comment too much until I know the full story, but I have to question why CTV bid in the first place. Yes, I know the business world is harsh and cruel, but do they really think they are going to get a positive reaction by taking away the iconic theme to the longest running program in Canadian television? I'd much prefer the theme to not be used at all rather than having CTV/TSN get their grubby hands all over it. Leave my hockey alone, thanks.

EDIT: A post from another hockey forum puts another twist on it.

"How about booing Dolores Claman and her lawyer for selling out? CBC are not the only ones who disrespected the tradition. I can't help but think that Claman and John Ciccone were negotiating with CTV this whole time and that's the reason they turned down the 6-figure offer. They knew they could get a better deal elsewhere and in the meantime, screwed a Saturday night tradition."

I have no idea what CTV thinks they're going to get out of this.  If anything they're going to piss off viewers.  Both CBC AND CTV lose in this deal.  The song, by itself, means nothing.  The song is part of CBC's HNIC tradition and only in that context is valuable.  Unless CTV doesn't care about their own welfare and is simply trying to sway public opinion against the government funded competition at any cost...

The whole lot of them are a bunch of idiots, starting from Claman and working their way down.  Morons.
ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »

The theme song to HNIC is a piece of Canadiana in itself.  If HNIC looses the right to use it, than no one else should.  That's akin to Canada changing it's national flag design and another country saying, "Well, if you aren't going to use it, we might as well."  Um, sorry... No.  That leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. 

Having moved to the U.S. I've been exposed to several different flavors of NHL broadcasts (Thanks DirecTV!).  HNIC is still hands down the best in the buisness.  But not because of the theme song.  The production staff and broadcasters are what's importatant.  I will continue to shell out $150 per season so I can watch HNIC.  Theme song or not.  The day Don Cherry is no longer around will be the only factor to change that. 

That reminds me, there's another big F.U. to CBC.  Get the hell off Cherry's back about Crosby.  He doesn't live up to his hype, Don has every right to call him out on it.  If CBC wants to continue to give Crosby literary BJ's, go right ahead.  Just don't expect everyone else to follow suit.  Keep in mind I'm a big Crosby fan.  But if he's not playing well, then we should be able to point that out.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »

Oddly I saw a guy with a hockey night in canada Hockey jersey last night and his 2 friends.  They were all from canada, and the running joke we had is they could have passed a hat around and made the money it probably went for easy.

Canadians aint happy.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Debris
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 08:58:59 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on June 12, 2008, 08:23:31 PM

Oddly I saw a guy with a hockey night in canada Hockey jersey last night and his 2 friends.  They were all from canada, and the running joke we had is they could have passed a hat around and made the money it probably went for easy.

Canadians aint happy.

They seem to be more upset about losing a song than losing the cup for the last 15 years.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 09:06:17 PM »

Well....at least it will be used for an international event in the only Canadian city that really counts.  Tongue
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 11:07:38 PM »

Quote from: Debris on June 12, 2008, 08:58:59 PM

Quote from: Semaj on June 12, 2008, 08:23:31 PM

Canadians aint happy.

They seem to be more upset about losing a song than losing the cup for the last 15 years.

zing

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: