http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 10:11:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada's Netflix dreams have been answered!!!1  (Read 528 times)
Roman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2010, 02:11:04 PM »

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/837394--netflix-to-bring-internet-movies-tv-to-canada?bn=1

Can't wait for this. Love to see what my US cousins are getting!! Very happy to hear this.

Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 02:40:26 PM »

While it's a step in the right direction, internet streaming + capped bandwidth = out.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 04:12:18 PM »

For me the issue would be inconsistent bandwidth, which at times is nothing short of terrible. I'd need to break my contract with my current ISP, but might just do that anyways. One thing for sure, I won't be using Rogers' competing service - too many bad experiences with them when they were still in the ISP biz out west.
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 05:57:09 PM »

Canada F*CK YEAH!

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/864617--netflix-launches-in-canada-for-7-99-a-month?bn=1

Signed up just now and very happy.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 05:58:46 PM »

I hear they are using 286's for the Canadian servers  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »

that's just fine. My USR 9600 Baud modem can keep up.

Roman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »

installed the iPad App and streamed my first movie as a test. AWESOME.

Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 10:53:48 PM »

I"m waiting to try the trial once they enable Xbox 360 for streaming. Apparently that'll be later this fall.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 10:59:53 AM »

It really irritates me the whining and complaining that I've witnessed online about Netflix Canada's selection, or lack of.  People don't seem to get the fact that if you don't support a service like this in it's infancy then it will never grow.
I signed up as soon as I could.  I've recently cancelled cable TV, so 8 bucks a month is the same as renting 2 movies.  As a horror fan, I was pleasantly surprised at the decent selection they have right out of the gate.  The documentary selection is equally impressive.

I'm going to give it 6 months to improve.  If it doesn't, at least I've supported it and given it a chance.. I suggest all do the same.

I am interested to see what Zip.ca has up their sleeves.

"Goonies never say die"
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 01:23:43 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on September 23, 2010, 10:59:53 AM

It really irritates me the whining and complaining that I've witnessed online about Netflix Canada's selection, or lack of.  People don't seem to get the fact that if you don't support a service like this in it's infancy then it will never grow.
I signed up as soon as I could.  I've recently cancelled cable TV, so 8 bucks a month is the same as renting 2 movies.  As a horror fan, I was pleasantly surprised at the decent selection they have right out of the gate.  The documentary selection is equally impressive.

I'm going to give it 6 months to improve.  If it doesn't, at least I've supported it and given it a chance.. I suggest all do the same.

A lot of us are on capped bandwidth internet provider (Cogeco). I have no use for a service that only allows streaming because I won't be able to take advantage of it. So until someone can do a mail delivery service properly in Canada then I'll continue to whine and complain.
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 01:49:12 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on September 23, 2010, 01:23:43 PM

Quote from: El-Producto on September 23, 2010, 10:59:53 AM

A lot of us are on capped bandwidth internet provider (Cogeco). I have no use for a service that only allows streaming because I won't be able to take advantage of it. So until someone can do a mail delivery service properly in Canada then I'll continue to whine and complain.

JayDee - you and I are in the same boat and I am not impacted (yet). We have 2 Xbox Live accounts and use them A LOT. I also do a fair amount of downloading  ninja (purely research projects) and have not noticed and extra charges yet.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 01:59:58 PM »

For me my ISP concerns are about the quality of the connection and the supplied hardware. I ditched my ISP of the past 2 years and I'm now going to give Netflix a try. I plan on using my 360 though, so I'll have to wait a bit.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 07:40:34 PM »

Well I chucked my existing ISP and have a new, improved Internet connection in anticipation of using Netflix - so far the difference in XBL downloads has been night and day. slywink I've noticed on the Netflix.ca site that it still doesn't support the 360 yet, but it will work with the Wii. I really want to use my 360 as I understand the service will support up to 720p, but might just use my Wii until the 360's supported. Does anyone know how the service works with a Wii? I thought to even stream a movie the connection device needs some temporary storage; similar to how movies work on XBLive. So where does the Wii temporarily store the digital movie/episode - internal memory of SD memory card?  I can't imagine it's the former as the Wii has very little internal memory. Or do I have this wrong, as in no temporary storage is required?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:43:54 PM by kronovan » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 08:01:12 PM »

I was sure this was going to be something about DeGrassi Jr. High being on instant...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 09:08:29 PM »

Canadians Wetflix Dreams Cum true! would have been a better title.  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: