http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 05:11:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you believe this prom dress?  (Read 6311 times)
Moat_Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2008, 02:43:07 PM »

I can't believe no one has mentioned her tongue stud. What does that say about her?

End of line.
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2008, 02:45:29 PM »

Quote from: Moat_Man on May 16, 2008, 02:43:07 PM

I can't believe no one has mentioned her tongue stud. What does that say about her?

that she is a teenager??

Jeez, are you people really that judgemental as it seems from this thread?? Come on, people can have tight dresses, revealing clothes, piercings, tatoos, and it doesnt tell you a single thing about them..All it does is showcase the stereotypical judging I see all too often....

All I'm trying to say is - lighten up!! the world is a bright place, where people make mistakes and especially the young ones!! Do we really need CNN telling us about it?

EDIT: and yeah, the slut thing? way out of proportions in my opinion...

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2008, 02:47:55 PM »

Quote from: Hiccup on May 16, 2008, 01:09:30 PM

Quote from: old-fashioned on May 16, 2008, 01:03:03 PM

Quote from: ATB on May 16, 2008, 12:57:22 PM

I mean really. It seems like you're just manufacturing outrage now...
I dunno, guess I just come from a place where you don't use words like "bitch" and "slut" for high school girls, or to women in general unless they really deserve it. Call me old-fashioned.

I too come from a place where you shouldn't use words like 'bitch" or "slut".  However, her actions clearly fall into the bitch category; breaking the dress code which she agreed to follow with her signature.  I wouldn't call her a slut, but the dress was defiantly slutty.

so, you never broke a rule as a teen? impressive....

A new one
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2008, 02:52:43 PM »

"I axed her.."  LOL I love it!

I don't think the dress was that bad.  Sure it showed a lot of skin but it covered up in all the right places-it's not like it was see-through.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2008, 02:56:24 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 16, 2008, 02:47:55 PM

so, you never broke a rule as a teen? impressive....

So are you saying that you get a free pass for breaking rules if you're young?  I broke plenty of rules when I was a teenager, and in hindsight, I was a stupid bastard.  In some instances, I'd go as far as saying I was a stupid asshole.  I'd venture to say that implies to many of us on this board.

I'm sure that this young lady is just that most of the time.  However, she knew the rules going in and decided to attempt to circumvent them anyway.  That is stupid.  After she was told she could not enter because her dress broke the same rules that she signed to abide by, she became belligerent to the point that the police were called.  That is being a bitch.  I really don't see what the big deal that some people are making this out to be.  Yes, we all do stupid stuff; especially in our teens.  Age, however, does not excuse our actions nor their consequences.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2008, 03:09:09 PM »

I guess what I really dont understand is people's reactions to this...its nothing...nothing at all! Its something that should have stayed between the school and the parents, and thats it...I just shrugged when I read it..until I saw peoples reactions.. stupid slut, bitch...and so on... I mean, GEEZ...she didnt participate in a gangbang like others do at that age, now did she? THATS's what I'm reacting at...

A new one
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2008, 03:12:28 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 16, 2008, 03:09:09 PM

Its something that should have stayed between the school and the parents, and thats it

You're absolutely right.  This should have stayed between her, her family and the school.  But you fail to mention that it wasn't the school that called the local news about it.  It was her or her family, so she brought the attention on herself.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2008, 03:43:50 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 16, 2008, 03:09:09 PM

I guess what I really dont understand is people's reactions to this...its nothing...nothing at all! Its something that should have stayed between the school and the parents, and thats it...I just shrugged when I read it..until I saw peoples reactions.. stupid slut, bitch...and so on... I mean, GEEZ...she didnt participate in a gangbang like others do at that age, now did she? THATS's what I'm reacting at...
I agree that personal insults to the girl are out-of-line and that the story is hardly newsworthy - although obviously it's an interesting triviality. I think it's judgemental though - intolerant even - to judge us for being judgemental.  slywink Heh, apparently you can only be judgemental when you're approving of something or someone. You argue that tight dresses, revealing clothes, piercings, tatoos, don't tell you a single thing about someone - au contraire, even the people with the tight dresses, revealing clothing, piercing, etc. believe it does say something about their personality or they wouldn't bother to wear such things. It should be no surprise if not everyone reaches the same conclusion about what statement someone is trying to say with a pierced tongue, or tight dress, etc. 

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2008, 04:07:53 PM »

Apropos of personal appearance: I've a cousin who loves getting tattoos. He says they don't say anything about him, while simultaneously admitting that they are "who I am." He's aware of what it says to others though: to some girls, it's dangerous and sexy, to his fellow cholos it's a uniform, to outsiders it signals this guy is no whitebread officeworker who wouldn't harm a fly. To me, that snake tattoo on his neck says, "I'm not going to get this job, am I?" - unless, of course, it's as a bouncer or carny worker.

My brothers both have USMC tattoos and they're clear that it says something about who they are, where they've been. To them it's a badge of  honor but probably to our nonjudgemental (except when they disagree with something) types, it's a questionable symbol at best.

I'm not against tattoos, piercings, die-tied hair, "weird" clothing - hell, I'm from Berkeley and San Francisco - but I feel that if someone wears something that they had to make an effort to obtain, then I should acknowledge their statement and not pretend that the noserings, tongue-piercings, tattoos, green hair and "Death to Capitalism" t-shirt only mean all their clothes were in a heap on the floor needing to be laundered and they were trying to distract with all the metal.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 05:55:47 PM by JohnathanStrange » Logged

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2008, 04:42:51 PM »

I'd like to meet her parents and SLAP THEM SILLY for allowing the girl to even own a dress as sleazy as that one.

Maybe she borrowed it from her mom... oh well...

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2008, 05:25:21 PM »

My tattoos certainly say something about me, as each one represents a particular aspect of my life and together they form a road map of my life and experiences.  I'd be lying if I suggested that they weren't part of what defines "me".  I have at least been very mindful of my ability to conceal them when necessary (such as at work, during job interviews, when meeting with clients). 

But, if I were to attend a function with a specific dress code, intentionally violate that dress code by arriving in chaps and nipple pasties, and then proceed to cause a scene, being unruly enough to be placed in handcuffs and physically removed by the police, my ivy league education, successful career, and clean tax record all go right out the window and I would expect anyone viewing the video on CNN to characterize my tattooed unruly ass as a "dumb bastard".  Perhaps "slut" might even enter into the equation because of the nipple pasties and chaps with no undergarments.

Regardless of age, I feel that the inappropriately dressed teen handled herself very poorly.  Yes, we've all made mistakes throughout our lives, especially as teens, but to conduct yourself in such a way as to warrant a call to the police, and then to contact CNN in order to draw attention to your asshattery while claiming innocence and ignorance and looking for sympathy as if you were the victim is absolutely ridiculous.  Perhaps some were out of line in their characterization of the teen in question, but as I've illustrated above, even the fabulous PeteRock could potentially conduct himself in such a way as to be characterized as a "dumb bastard."  Perhaps calling her a "dumb fuck" would have been more palatable?

This entire scenerio is ridiculous.  She broke the rules.  She acted poorly.  The prom organizers were not out of line to refuse admittance to the event because of the thwarted dress code, and the teen is question was out of line in terms of the way she handled the situation.  Claiming to be the victim in such a situation is absolutely beyond me.  But when considering a society that places blame on all other parties outside of itself, I am certainly not surprised.  If I am removed from a function due to poor behavior and inappropriate attire when being well aware of the rules governing such an event, I am no victim.  I am simply a dumb bastard/bitch/idiot/asshat/moron/dipshit/fucktard/etc.  To involve the media merely adds "attention whore" to the mix.       

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2008, 06:05:32 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 16, 2008, 05:25:21 PM

My tattoos certainly say something about me, as each one represents a particular aspect of my life and together they form a road map of my life and experiences. 

Which tattoo represents the part of your life where I kicked you up and down the map in Gears of War multiplayer?  icon_biggrin
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2008, 06:11:15 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 16, 2008, 06:05:32 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on May 16, 2008, 05:25:21 PM

My tattoos certainly say something about me, as each one represents a particular aspect of my life and together they form a road map of my life and experiences. 

Which tattoo represents the part of your life where I kicked you up and down the map in Gears of War multiplayer?  icon_biggrin

The phoenix rising from flames, as it is a mythical creature, which is just as mythical as the alleged event you describe.   ninja2

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2008, 10:42:58 PM »

I don't see what the issue is.  She wore a skimpy dress when the rules said not to, and they enforced the rule.  The issue then is...what?  Racism?  Give me a break.  I would expect a white girl to not be allowed in like that either.  Prudishness?  You tell me: is there any situation where that's appropriate attire for a 17-year-old girl who isn't walking the streets?

Geez, maybe I'm old (I'm 26), but whatever happened to a classy long dress?  Throw in a nice neckline, and you've got something that's classy and still sensual.  I guess that makes me Andy Rooney, but I don't really care.  It's absolute idiocy to show up to your promi n what amounts to large underwear when the rules say not to and then complain when you don't get in.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2008, 11:49:49 PM »

"Slut" goes to far in a teen society where almost all the girls dress like "sluts" at least part of the time. 

Another factor worth knowing would be whether other girls were let in with similarly classless atire or not.  If they were, she has a point.  If they weren't then she has no ground to stand on. 

Based on what we know, she seems to have been mostly if not entirely at fault that this escalated to the police being called.  We all make stupid decisions, but I know I paid for a lot of the ones I made when I was in high school.  If she was sent to jail or suspended from school over this I might have some sympathy.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2008, 07:30:11 AM »

Anyone who couldn't figure out the dress code wouldn't accept that kind of dress at prom probably isn't too smart...  not a huge leap.  And though you coudn't possibly know my friends/family - I can guarentee you I'm not racist.  What I do dislike it stupid ignorant people who get on the news sucking up national news airtime when there's way more important stuff going on in the world.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2008, 07:55:27 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 16, 2008, 12:38:21 PM

Quote from: Thin_J on May 16, 2008, 12:21:14 PM

Why is anyone defending her again?
No one's really defending her. My position is that people are too harsh and judgemental about her, and that it's inappropriate and poor-mannered to use such words as "bitch" and "slut" when referring to a high school girl.

I knew lots of bitches and lots of sluts in high school.  Just because they are in high school doesn't make it any different.  Assuming they will always be that way is a mistake, but calling it what it is isn't.

There's a difference between being an dumb and being stupid and though I don't know if she's dumb, she sure as hell is stupid.

So when some high school kid starts yelling obscenities at you on the subway and then gets in a fight with the cops when they respond do you not feel like he was being an asshole and stupid?  Or do you just shrug and say 'heh, kids!'

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: