http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 09:21:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone recommend some good Warhammer 40K novels?  (Read 615 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:50:11 PM »

I just finished reading two Warhammer collections: The Soul Drinkers Omnibus by Ben Counter, and The Inquisition War by Ian Watson. I found both to be highly enjoyable, with the nod going to Ian Watson for the absolutely incredible atmosphere he provided. Can anyone recommend some other good Warhammer collections? Anything dark and revolving around the struggle with Chaos is especially desired.

To be honest, I was surprised at the quality of these two collections. While neither is exactly high art, both were clearly written by authors with a very firm grasp on the story they wished to tell. (Unlike some of the old D&D collections I've read.)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:54:54 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:52:25 PM »

From what I hear, Dan Abnett is the standout Warhammer author and you can't go wrong with any of his stuff. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:55:14 PM »

A friend recommended Eisenhorn by Dan Abnett. Good place to start?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:57:27 PM »

I went through a WH40k kick a few years ago.

The Horus Heresy is probably my favorite thing I read.  It's ancient history in the 40k universe, detailing the civil war between the space marine chapters.  Very interesting read, but also really long.

I think I also read the Soul Drinkers set.

I also really liked Lord of the Night, where a lone chaos marine pretty much corrupts an entire colony, and it's told half from his perspective.  

I think I liked just about anything that Dan Abnett wrote.  This kind of makes me want to get back into them.  I've always liked the 40k fluff, and they're good testosterone-filled pulp fiction.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 12:06:47 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on December 03, 2009, 11:57:27 PM

I've always liked the 40k fluff, and they're good testosterone-filled pulp fiction.

That is a great description of both books. I very much enjoyed the gritty, gothic environments. Neither collection really had much characterization beyond a few lead characters, but that is a welcome change from some of the more ponderous, intricate books I've read recently. They almost have that summer blockbuster feel to them... if the summer blockbuster was written by a very pessimistic Nihilist. 
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 05:56:13 PM »

Abnett's stuff is all good.

My favorite is the Ravenor series, but moreso because I love his operatives (Nayl, Kys, Kara, Thonius, Frauka).

But the Eisenhorn Omnibus is perhaps grittier, and might be the place for you to go first.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 06:05:53 PM »

Space Wolves Omnibus is good

Some of the Horus Heresey books are good, but I stopped at the third or fourth book as the Black Library seemed to change the focus to covering every plotline and Chapter  story during the Uprising.

The Grey Knight series is good if you like to read about Daemons

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
GGIronSkull
Gaming Trend Reader

Up the Irons!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 06:44:01 PM »

Eisenhorn....nuff said.  Once you finish this omnibus, read the Ravenor series. 

Gaunts Ghosts is really well done also....lots of books in that series.  Love them.

Horus Heresy, first few books are great.

And for just fun the Gotrek and Felix Warhammer fantasy books are good quick, light reads that amuse.

I own a bunch of the omnibus books, spacewolves, ultramarine, etc...they are all good.

also...

Storm of Iron...great

Angels of Darkness....Great

Brothers of the snake....More Greatness.

Computer-A-Thon:   C.A.T.

3 days of sleep deprivation, Thai Food, and trash talking, all centered around making the network gods smile upon us so that we may smoke, frag, hack, kerplode, and otherwise beat upon your friends in a basement in Idaho.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 06:55:06 PM »

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I just finished reading through the Rogue Trader RPG book.  I was really impressed.  Some great fiction and artwork, along with what seems like a decent set of game rules.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »

I'll also throw in a nod for Eisenhorn.  I'm reading through it now and really liking it a lot.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 02:09:27 AM »

Thanks everyone. I grabbed Eisenhorn and The Grey Knights Omnibus to start. I'll definitely take a closer look at the other suggestions. I can't believe that we've never had a great Warhammer FPS. Seems so obvious.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 06:19:20 AM »

When you finish Eisenhorn, pick up the Ravenor series.  It's very good and has some crossover between some of the characters. Gaunts Ghosts is also excellent.  The Horus Heresy series also has some really good reads but it has a few that I found mediocre. 
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 08:13:59 PM »

Just picked up Eisenhorn thanks to you lot. Enjoying it a lot so far. Going to get a few more more for Xmas i think.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: