http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 11:29:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't believe it happened to me (laid off)  (Read 2942 times)
Graham
Managing Editor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2009, 03:41:10 AM »

So I get a meeting request at 1:00 PM from my boss for a meeting about a status report at 2:00 PM.  I have been working on a project to create our status reports to cubes, so I figure that is what he wants to chat about.  We head to the meeting room and I notice that the HR person is there.  Since I have had a few issues with someone from work and met with her and him, I thought that maybe something had come up with him.

I get into the room and to make a long story short, I was laid off.  They said that it didn't have anything to do with performance, but that since we are slaves to the stock market they had to make some difficult choices.  I got my stuff from my desk and then headed to conference room again and signed my paperwork.  Fortunately I do have a several week severance package that will help with the mortgage.  My wife has been very level headed.  She picked me up and we went home.  I have started to update my resume and there are some interesting looking prospects on Dice.com, and maybe this will turn out for the better.

If any of those of you in the Chicago area know of a place that needs a DBA for just about any database platform out there, let me know.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:51:33 AM »

ouch, sorry to hear the news.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 04:14:25 AM »

My last day was 4/7 but I sort of knew it could happen anytime for the last year. We were a small office and needed more clients. Almost had them but in the end it didn't matter. We were recently acquired and the main company shut down our office though this actually let me have a better severance than if the original company just went bankrupt. While the new parent company did similar stuff it was more automated than the manual work we did.

I've only sent out a few resumes but seem to be having OK success. I've had 3 interviews for sending out resumes to 4 companies. 1 I already had but didn't get the job but it seemd to ge well. 2 I have later this week with one of them having 3 positions. I've seen a couple other jobs that I don't quite quality for but will send my resume as I doubt most people meet what they ask for either and I'd rather have them reject me then me reject myself. There are also a few job placement companies that seem like they would be a good fit if I need to use them, but I haven't yet.

I've mainly been using a local job ad site and indeed.com, which seems to scrape from dice and monster and some other sites. I've also used it to look up other possible positions on companies I see with open jobs I didn't quite match for.

Good luck to you in finding something soon.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:05:02 AM »

Sorry to hear about the layoff.  icon_frown  I hope you find something soon.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 11:48:53 AM »

Damn, sorry to hear that Keith.  frown

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »

Sorry, old friend. 

Did they make any mention of bringing you back when things rebound?

The only advice I have is obvious: check all the sites... Monster has always been good to me...Careerbuilder etc...

Good luck.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 01:01:26 PM »

Dang, sorry to hear that, Graham.  I know something better is just around the corner though! 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 01:36:08 PM »

Quote from: Graham on April 22, 2009, 03:41:10 AM

So I get a meeting request at 1:00 PM from my boss for a meeting about a status report at 2:00 PM.  I have been working on a project to create our status reports to cubes, so I figure that is what he wants to chat about.  We head to the meeting room and I notice that the HR person is there.  Since I have had a few issues with someone from work and met with her and him, I thought that maybe something had come up with him.

I get into the room and to make a long story short, I was laid off.  They said that it didn't have anything to do with performance, but that since we are slaves to the stock market they had to make some difficult choices.  I got my stuff from my desk and then headed to conference room again and signed my paperwork.  Fortunately I do have a several week severance package that will help with the mortgage.  My wife has been very level headed.  She picked me up and we went home.  I have started to update my resume and there are some interesting looking prospects on Dice.com, and maybe this will turn out for the better.

If any of those of you in the Chicago area know of a place that needs a DBA for just about any database platform out there, let me know.

Not sure what sort of drive it would be for you, but Fedex Smartpost is growing, they are headquartered out of New Berlin, Wisconsin.  I do not know for sure if they are in need of a DBA but it is always possible.  Are you more of a logical DBA or a physical DBA?  I assume you know both Sybase and Oracle?
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 01:47:01 PM »

Sorry to hear that Graham.  I got laid off at the beginning of Feb and was without work for a couple of months.  My best suggestion would be linkedin.com.  You can get a lot of contacts through there.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 02:26:53 PM »

frown

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 02:37:46 PM »

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys.  I have one email from someone already, but they are looking for someone in Georgia and it's only a four month gig with possibility to extend.  While I really don't want to move, it would be something we would consider if we needed to.  That being said, getting one email already is helpful.

Arkon, I am from WI originally, and while it might be a drive, it would be something.  I haven't done much as far as designs of databases, more on the operating and updating side, as well as getting the information needed from people.  I am familiar with SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase, and Informix.  I worked mostly with SQL Server in my last job, but I learned quite a bit about Oracle.  I'm a bit rusty on Sybase, but it wouldn't take much to get familiar with it again.

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 03:00:21 PM »

I am sorry to hear about this, Graham, and wish you and your family the best of luck.

I was very surprised to see that our Chicago office wasn't hiring a DBA (specific listing) on our job sheet but there were a couple of things that might work for you:

Lead Business Systems Analyst - Oracle: Service Contracts
Lead Business Systems Analyst - Oracle CRM

Send me a PM if those are of interest and I'll get you the HR contact info.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 03:36:10 PM »

Sorry to hear about it. Only advice I can give is to keep in touch with co-workers, friends etc. People use the "networking" term too often for frivoulous stuff these days but it can be both a lifeline and an indirect way to job leads when a lay off happens.

My 2 layoff stories are from a Virginia newspaper (I got laid off and then came back, and got laid off again  Roll Eyes).

-Publisher called in me (assistant editor), the associate editor, the sports editor and the chief photographer. I think his eloquent words were, "I'm sorry, but we have to lay off all of you. Please clean out your desks tonight. Don't worry about the current newspaper issue." We just kind of looked at each other, like, "WTF?" Our editor in chief had already been laid off and walked out earlier, I don't think we even realized it.

We all hurriedly tossed things into boxes and left, with a couple of our non-laid off co-workers in tears.

-They rehired me the next week because, "After the layoffs, we didn't have anyone left who remembered how to lay out your newspaper."  saywhat Eventually they sort of laterally shoved me out of the way because I wasn't "creative" enough and kept laying out the paper the way the previous editor had taught me. Duh!

Anyway, this time I didn't even get a courtesy of a face-to-face layoff. The publisher called me on a Tuesday night and told me he had to let me go. I offered to come back in to finish one last news story I was working on but he said a locksmith was already changing the door combinations. He told me not to come back until Friday so he would have a chance to explain the 2nd round of layoffs.

I came back in with the same box I had used after the 1st layoff. Everyone kind of gawked at me like I was the "walking dead." It took 6 months for me to get a full time job again (in 1991-1992), but to some extent I was burned out and underpaid, and maybe it worked out for the best.
------------------
Sorry to ramble on. I just think it helps to know others have gone through the same painful experience.

I tend to tell people that beyond the obvious (update your resume, post it at job search engines, look into unemployment insurance and what's expected of you to continue receiving unemployment [i.e., you've got to prove you're actively job hunting, in most states], etc.), try not to isolate yourself. I mean, I probably spent a week just playing NHL Hockey on my Sega Genesis after I got laid off, but probably it would've done better for me to go out and about a bit.

When my job search got frustrating, I would just go spend the day at the library, and on occasion I'd go fishing a bit, just walk around a park and try to stay positive.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 06:03:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 06:12:21 PM »

Wow, terribly sorry to hear it.  And scary it's right out of the blue.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 07:31:21 PM »

Your first layoff is always the hardest. Try not to take it personally. It's just capitalism.

Between us my wife and I have been laid off five times since 2002. I finally dropped out of the conventional workforce after the third time. We're cautiously optimistic that my wife can get a job after the economy turns around, if we can hold out that long, because she has a better education and work history than I do. It's more difficult when you're over 50, though. She's sent out dozens of applications since February without a single interview. She's a writer/editor, and publishing is still just bleeding jobs. Both of her brothers work in the media (one in TV, one in newspapers), and they are both running scared too.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 03:45:03 AM »

Well, I have had several recruiters contact me already, so that's a good sign.  While one recruiter said he had mid-level jobs that would pay less than what I was making, but there is one place that is looking promising that might mean a pay raise.  I'm staying positive, as I am happy I have been getting as many responses as I have been.  I think that some of the recruiters are surprised that I've been searching for a job already, but you got to do what you got to do.

I haven't signed up for unemployment yet, partially because I am still getting paid severance, so I'm not sure if I am eligible for unemployment.  I did get some shirts pressed so that when I get the call for the interview I can be ready.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 04:05:57 PM »

Severance pay does not disqualify you for unemployment (at least, not in Mass.; I imagine that the rules vary from state to state). And there will be a delay between your initial claim and your first check. You might want to file your claim just to get the process moving. You can always close it if a job comes through.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 04:41:16 PM »

Yeah, sign up for unemployment so that things are seamless.  They will ask you if you got severance, and you probably won't get unemployment checks until the severance runs out, but definitely get that ball rolling.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 06:53:40 PM »

Quote from: kratz on April 24, 2009, 04:41:16 PM

Yeah, sign up for unemployment so that things are seamless.  They will ask you if you got severance, and you probably won't get unemployment checks until the severance runs out, but definitely get that ball rolling.

That depends on whether the "severance" involves periodic payments -- i.e., whether he is still on the payroll. If it's a lump sum, it should not affect benefits. Believe me, I know unemployment bennies all too well (in my state, obviously).

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 07:45:40 PM »

I think it depends on the state... In colorado I got a lump sum, but they ran some sort of numbers and started my unemployment checks as if I'd been paid X number of weeks.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 12:14:50 AM »

I do tend to forget that Mass. has the most generous unemployment benefits in the US. The system is poorly set up for people who earn periodic freelance income, though. Every time my wife reports billing a client, the DUA closes her claim as if she's re-employed. She loses the next week's benefit check and has to reopen her claim. Sure does make budgeting a challenge...especially since we're never sure exactly when that freelance check is going to actually show up. 

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 03:59:37 AM »

Well, I had a phone interview today that I think went pretty well.  I have another one on Friday.  Then I have another one on Monday.  I really hope that the one that I had today went well, as that would be the ideal job placement for me out of the three, but I would take anything if I needed to.

Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 09:30:13 AM »

Quote from: Graham on May 01, 2009, 03:59:37 AM

Well, I had a phone interview today that I think went pretty well.  I have another one on Friday.  Then I have another one on Monday.  I really hope that the one that I had today went well, as that would be the ideal job placement for me out of the three, but I would take anything if I needed to.

Good luck!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 02:54:15 PM »

I hope you know that we're all crossing our fingers!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 03:02:29 PM »

Best of luck, Graham.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 08:48:07 PM »

Well, the place I interviewed with yesterday decided to go after a different applicant.  However, I do feel much better with the interview that I did this afternoon.  We'll see what happens.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 07:45:10 PM »

Good luck, Graham.  Being jobless sucks.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 08:04:58 PM »

Graham, would Ottawa, Illinois be too far of a trip for you? My company needs an IT Supervisor for the new systems we've set up in our DC. Not sure if the job necessarily equates to your current field of expertise or pay grade, but the management here is truly fantastic. I think we're the only company in Illinois actually hiring at a breakneck pace. (2 supervisors, 1 manager, 1 AGM, IT, maintenance, floor associates, etc)
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 09:37:46 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on May 04, 2009, 08:04:58 PM

Graham, would Ottawa, Illinois be too far of a trip for you? My company needs an IT Supervisor for the new systems we've set up in our DC. Not sure if the job necessarily equates to your current field of expertise or pay grade, but the management here is truly fantastic. I think we're the only company in Illinois actually hiring at a breakneck pace. (2 supervisors, 1 manager, 1 AGM, IT, maintenance, floor associates, etc)

Dante, PM me your email address.  While it would be a bit of a trek, it can't hurt to send you my resume.

I do have an interview on Wednesday for Sears Holdings.  It sounds like a good position for me, but I want to branch out a bit more anyway, so we'll see what happens.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 09:45:38 PM »

Geeze, I'm sorry to hear that Graham, that stinks!  I have a pretty small "extended" family - and three members have had similar experiences in the last several months, laid off with no warning whatsoever.  And a few others have had mandatory shut-downs, furloughs, and salary cuts, just trying to keep the various companies afloat.

Good luck, I hope it ends up working out better for you in the long run.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 01:04:51 PM »

Well, I think the interview I had yesterday went well.  The two DBAs I talked to for about a half hour.  Then their supervisor came in and what was supposed to be a half hour conversation turned into an hour and a half.  He flat out told me that he really liked me, so I think that is a good sign.  Don't know for sure, but we'll see if I get an offer.

I'll be following up with some other recruiters that called yesterday and go from there, just incase this doesn't work out.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009, 05:30:05 AM »

Well, it looks like I have an offer that I will be expecting.  It's a bit of a drive, but it's better than nothing, and it could be a lot worse of an offer. I will most likely be starting a week from Monday if nothing else comes up.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 06:57:49 AM »

Quote from: Graham on May 11, 2009, 05:30:05 AM

Well, it looks like I have an offer that I will be expecting.  It's a bit of a drive, but it's better than nothing, and it could be a lot worse of an offer. I will most likely be starting a week from Monday if nothing else comes up.

Sweet....good to hear.  Remember, you can always keep looking and if something great comes along, jump ship then.  Much better to have a job than not.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 11:52:15 AM »

Quote from: Graham on May 11, 2009, 05:30:05 AM

If you do get it and accept it just CHILL for that week and a half. No pressue no worries and the promise of a fresh start.

Keep us posted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: