http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 08:39:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cameras  (Read 346 times)
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2011, 06:16:26 AM »

Looking at a new digital camera, anyone have any suggestions? I don't need a Dslr, just a solid camera that takes nice photos. I've narrowed it down to the Sony Nex3, Panasonic Lumix G2 or Lumix FZ35 (though i'm really leaning towards the Sony). I don't care about zooming as much as picture quality and ease of use. Seriously, I need something a monkey can operate.

I like the idea of the touchscreen on the G2, but worry about buying alot of function I'll never get into. The AF tracking seems useful however.

Are the midrange Canon's any good?

Geezer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 02:24:41 PM »

I use a Canon 7D DSLR, but I have a NEX-5 that I use as a travel camera, and it's never let me down.  It's tiny, user friendly once you learn the menus, and, if you ever want to get more ambitious with your photography, there are several NEX-specific and, via adapter, a wide range of Sony Alpha lenses that you can use with it.

Autofocus is fast and accurate.  This was the only camera I took on a 3 week European vacation last year, and it never, ever let me down.  Here are a couple of sample shots from that trip:

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 10:22:58 PM »

The nicest in between DSLR and point and shoot camera I've seen recently is the Canon Gx series (G10, G11, G12)... you can do as much or as little as you want, they aren't as bulky as the Lumix style, and take great pictures.

I have a Canon S3 IS that is similar feature wise to the Lumix, and it takes great pictures, but I wish I had something a hair less bulky, but with all the nice manual modes.

From what I've read (and it's been a while), it's pretty hard to beat Canon for this type of camera.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 03:07:35 AM »

I've been looking for a decent p&s camera too and so far, from the reviews I read, the Canon PowerShot S95 seems to be a good pick. It's a p&s with a nice set of manual controls.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 06:49:02 PM »

I got my wife the NEX-5 (basically same as the 3) for our anniversary last summer and she absolutely ADORES it. She's always wanted to get into photography more, but I was always afraid she was going to spend a fortune on a big fancy camera and never learn how to use it. She's taken hundreds and hundreds of photos with it, both in the automatic modes and playing around with manual settings some. Picture quality is great. In particular, the macro function is astounding. She has pictures of flowers she's taken from inches away filling up her 24" monitor and they look marvelous. I've taken a number of photos with it as well and also enjoy using it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 01:33:42 AM »

I hate to thread-jack and wasn't sure if it warranted a whole new thread (if so, I'll create a new one), but for the DSLR users here, what kind of camera bag are you currently using? I have a Nikon D7000 currently with the kit lens, but looking to expand my lens collection, obviously. Of course what kind of gear I'm regularly going to carrying around along with how many lenses also will determine what kind of bag is appropriate.

Right now I actually have the InCase sling bag which seems to suit me well for the time being. I'm partial to sling and messenger bags (not really into backpacks), so I did look at ones from Lowepro (Slingshots), Kata (3N1) and Domke. Timbuk2 recently came out with their "Snoop" messenger style camera bag as well. If I really had money I'd spring for a Billingham  slywink
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:35:24 AM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 01:58:29 AM »

you know theres a really nice dslr photography thread over at OO but I dont recall seeing a thread like that here.  Perhaps Ill start one and see if theres interest.

BTW as mentioned Canon has some very nice p&s cameras that can be as easy or as advanced as you want them to be.  I highly recommend checking them out.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 02:03:53 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on February 07, 2011, 01:58:29 AM

you know theres a really nice dslr photography thread over at OO but I dont recall seeing a thread like that here.  Perhaps Ill start one and see if theres interest.

I thought there was a thread like that here as well. It's probably on another forum I visit. I'd love to participate in a photography thread (DSLR and otherwise) where we have photo assignments (taking images per certain categories/subject matter) to rate and critique each other's shots, feedback/reviews on gear and sharing techniques & tricks.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: