http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:45:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call me Schleprock...now with updates  (Read 4099 times)
Freezer-TPF-
Gaming Trend Senior Member

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 05:00:54 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 20, 2008, 01:52:37 PM

Thanks to the constant questioning of my manhood by the alpha male known as Peterock, I did put my foot down.  Surprisingly, the manager I'm dealing with is turning out to be a pretty reasonable guy when pressed.  He said he understood my situation and that he would now turn this over to his insurance agency and that they would be contacting me with further info on how to proceed.  This will end up taking longer than if I'd gone directly through the manager (who apparently owns a chain of Jiffy Lubes and has the scratch to do this kind of thing...although not enough to pay for the labor charges from a dealership, I guess), but in the end I think I'll be safer and happier with the job.

PeteRock is 100% correct here and you are smart to take his advice.  Taking the extra hassle now to get this fixed exactly the way you want and where you want (i.e. by the dealer), is worth not having to deal with further issues down the road and not regretting that you resolved it the quick way instead of the best way.  Stay politely persistent until you get exactly what you want, no compromises, and for Zeus's sake do not let their "mechanics" do the repair.  If the JL manager balks at all, go over his head to corporate.

In short, right now you are in the position of power, so now is the time to get it resolved exactly the way you want.  Once you give in or compromise, your mojo is severely diminished.

Good luck.  We're all counting on you.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 05:14:11 PM »

Now I'm just waiting for JL's insurance company to contact me.  Then I'll explain what needs to happen to get this fixed.  I've already spoken to the dealership and he's assured me that he's had this go down more than once, so at least he's had experience with this exact situation before.  I just hope the insurance company doesn't try to give me the run around now.

update:  i just called the JL manager to see if i could get the insurance information to pass along to my insurance company and he said he couldn't give it to me.  He said they'd call me and that it was now out of his hands.  i told him that i found it a bit odd that he couldn't give me any contact info for the insurance company, but he just shrugged it off.  he told me that they'd contact me within 24 hours after he made the claim, which was at about 9:30/10:00 this morning. 

I'm getting worried that this guy is blowing me off now.   icon_frown
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 07:11:09 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 08:06:12 PM »

If they don't contact you tomorrow morning, escalate.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 08:41:13 PM »

I called Geico to seek some advice and they said it's not uncommon for him to not want to give that info out under these circumstances.  Everything from this point forward should go through the insurance agent, according to them.  I'll wait until tomorrow and then I'll do two things if i don't hear anything from anyone:

1) call corporate and file a claim.  I already called to see what this entailed.  Since this is a franchise and not a corporate owned depot, they basically will just alert the general manager.  that's the best they say they can do.

2) call geico and start a claim.  according to them, the first step they'd take would be to get the manager of that store on the phone along with his insurance agency.

this is just so damn annoying.  i'm paying for this rental car with no idea if this is even being taken care of now that i've passed on the JL manager's offer to have it fixed at his mechanic of choice.  i have it in writing that they'll reimburse me for the rental, but god knows if he'll live up to that. 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 08:46:49 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 20, 2008, 08:41:13 PM

i have it in writing that they'll reimburse me for the rental, but god knows if he'll live up to that. 

If he doesn't, that's when you either:

• Take him to court
  • Call your local news

The threat of you going to the local news should get him to pay up pretty quick.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2008, 08:53:50 PM »

let's just hope i'm overreacting (wouldn't be the first time) and that he did file a claim and that his insurance company will call me within 24 hours of when he did so.  if i could just see some progress after demanding that the repairs be done at my dealership, i'd feel a lot better.  as it stands, i feel like i'm getting ulcers over this already.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 09:07:03 PM »

My wife made a suggestion.  She said that messing around with the local Jiffy Lube manager isn't going to get you very far.  She suggested that you call this location:

Jiffy LubeŽ Customer Service
P.O. Box 4458
Houston, TX 77210-4458
(800) 344-6933

And ask for the complaints department "because you have one."  That was exactly what she did, and even though she had to explain her situation a number of times, if someone wasn't able to provide the help she felt was rightfully hers, she'd ask for a supervisor.  She continued to escalate until the situation was resolved.  In your case, because the insurance company is apparently handling the claim, it might be beneficial to speak to someone in corporate to find out if what the manager has told you is true, if he is stalling, or if they can remedy the situation.  She usually begins this process by being nice, but nice only goes so far.  She is the cooler.  You are the bouncer.  You will not know when it is time to not be nice.  She will let you know.  Now is the time to not be nice.

As Freezer has said, don't allow them to dictate the terms.  In my wife's case, she got an estimate from the dealer for repairs, she faxed that estimate to a corporate representative, and she demanded that a check be overnighted in order to cover the repairs because we were about to leave for Pittsburgh for a trip in a few days and needed repairs handled immediately.  A certified check from Jiffy Lube showed up the next day.  But she had to have the estimate in-hand in order to get the ball rolling.  Perhaps there is a limit to the cost of repairs payable by check, and you may be stuck with going through their insurance, but it can't hurt to do your part to find out.  It may be stressful now, but it will be worth it in the long run.  Many firms make it difficult so that inevitably you lose interest and eventually settle for a half-asssed solution.  Don't settle.  You shouldn't have to.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2008, 09:17:07 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 20, 2008, 03:32:01 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on May 20, 2008, 03:25:09 PM

You make sure you get them to replace your car.

unfortunately the JL manager did not take me seriously when i presented him with my hand drawn sketch of the replacement car I initially wanted.  he felt that "jet powered hover car with laser headlights" was just too much to ask, I guess.
Perhaps if you throw some cash to PeteRock's wife she can become the lead in your negotiations. NEVER GIVE UP THE DREAM!!
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2008, 09:28:43 PM »

Quote from: Biyobi on May 20, 2008, 09:17:07 PM

Perhaps if you throw some cash to PeteRock's wife she can become the lead in your negotiations. NEVER GIVE UP THE DREAM!!

I'm not sure that I'd want to be in debt to to someone with such temper...

Add that to the fact that she has to compete with her husband for bathroom time and beauty products, and she's likely to explode at any minute.  biggrin
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 20, 2008, 09:07:03 PM

And ask for the complaints department "because you have one."  That was exactly what she did, and even though she had to explain her situation a number of times, if someone wasn't able to provide the help she felt was rightfully hers, she'd ask for a supervisor.  She continued to escalate until the situation was resolved.  In your case, because the insurance company is apparently handling the claim, it might be beneficial to speak to someone in corporate to find out if what the manager has told you is true,

i called them about an hour ago and was told it was a franchise, so the best they could do was file a complaint with the district manager that a claim was being made against that franchise owner.  that was right before I called Geico.  I'm giving the JL manager's insurance company until tomorrow morning before i file a complaint with Jiffy Lube corporate and then go to Geico to file a claim through them.  According to Geico, they'll then get hold of the franchise owner (who is also the JL manager) then start a three way conversation with him and his insurance company. 

hopefully the insurance company on his end will call me by tomorrow at 11am though.  that's the cut off point i've set.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2008, 10:14:57 PM »

After all of this has been resolved just unload the car on Craig's List. Let somebody else deal with a rebuilt/mystery engine.  ninja

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2008, 11:27:07 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on May 20, 2008, 10:14:57 PM

After all of this has been resolved just unload the car on Craig's List. Let somebody else deal with a rebuilt/mystery engine.  ninja

well, i'll be going through my dealership for the repairs so the warranty will still be valid for another 20,000 miles.  then my geico mechanical breakdown insurance covers me until 100,000, so i think it'll be okay.   icon_wink

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 02:58:43 PM »

Update:  The insurance agent from Indiana Insurance (Jiffy Lube's insurance agent) called to discuss the claim with me.  During the course of the conversation I gave her a detailed breakdown of the case and then told her I had audio recordings of their head mechanic stating that car's oil plug was loose and that's why the oil drained out.  I then told her that I had the receipt for the oil change dated that very day, documented confirmation from Geico that I used their roadside assistance to tow my car that same day as the oil change, and verbal confirmation from the manager that his guys were at fault (I don't have an actual recording of this admission of guilt but I tacked it onto the ending of my statement about the mechanic being recorded so it kind of IMPLIED that I had a recording without me actually SAYING I had a recording...the manager knows he said this and perhaps that confusion will make him think twice about lying).  She then laughed and told me, "Boy, you're really on top of this aren't you?".  I told her, "It's going to cost around 5 grand for repairs.  I'd take the rest of the week off and live in the guy's yard if it helped me get treated fairly in this situation."

The next step is her confirming my story with Jiffy Lube then sending out one of their inspectors to the auto shop where it's currently residing to go over the car.  I told her all work must be done by the dealership and that there was to be no compromise on that.  She agreed that that was the best course of action.  She also said that she believes they insure my dealership, which would make things convenient.   icon_wink

I have a claim number, I have a contact at the insurance agency, and I have confirmation that steps are being taken.  My only concern at this point is that the mechanic they had go over my car did something to hide any culpability on Jiffy Lube's part.  However, since I have a recording of the Jiffy Lube mechanic stating that the problem was a loose oil plug, I'm hoping that any such attempt would bear no fruit for them. 

of course, when thinking about this whole incident, the manager has actually been true to his word whenever he's given it.  perhaps I've come across one of those rare business owners who are actually honest???

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 03:09:30 PM »

Quote from: hepcat
of course, when thinking about this whole incident, the manager has actually been true to his word whenever he's given it.  perhaps I've come across one of those rare business owners who are actually honest???

Are you kidding? Do not delude yourself, hep. You must continue to stay on top of it all. Be...hard, like a rock.

I wonder if the Jiffy Lube will actually try to track down who worked on your car... 'cause that guy's gonna get canned after costing them 5 grand in engine-replacement work.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 03:13:51 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on May 21, 2008, 03:09:30 PM

Are you kidding? Do not delude yourself, hep. You must continue to stay on top of it all. Be...hard, like a rock.

I wonder if the Jiffy Lube will actually try to track down who worked on your car... 'cause that guy's gonna get canned after costing them 5 grand in engine-replacement work.

When I stopped in to get the rental car on Monday the guy who was working on my car was still there.  He was just glaring at me from the garage as I went through the paperwork. 

And trust me, I'm going to keep badgering this insurance agent until I get my car fixed.  She has no idea how much of her life is going to be devoted to answering my calls during this whole thing.  I would think my situation was a pretty open and shut case since the problem occurred on the very same day the oil was changed, and I have evidence from their client that it was their fault, but I trust insurance inspectors even less than mechanics these days. 

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2008, 04:07:18 PM »

Are you kidding? Do not delude yourself, hep. You must continue to stay on top of it all. Be...hard, like Mrs. PeteRock.

Fixed that for you.   

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2008, 04:19:50 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 21, 2008, 04:07:18 PM

Are you kidding? Do not delude yourself, hep. You must continue to stay on top of it all. Be...hard, like Mrs. PeteRock.

Fixed that for you.   

I tried using quotes from Rocky I and II but Holly the Insurance Agent didn't respond when I addressed her as "Apollo".  I then tried calling her "Adrian" but that just seemed to confuse her more.  Eventually I gave up and just went back to referring to her as "Sugartits"...which is where the conversation seemed to fall apart.

Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2008, 04:49:22 PM »

I told her, "It's going to cost around 5 grand for repairs.  I'd take the rest of the week off and live in the guy's yard if it helped me get treated fairly in this situation."

Good work.  Holly has no doubt flagged you with the coveted "CRAZY - DO NOT PROVOKE!" status, which is exactly where you want to be.

Stay on top of it, but sounds good so far.

Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2008, 11:09:39 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 21, 2008, 03:13:51 PM

When I stopped in to get the rental car on Monday the guy who was working on my car was still there.  He was just glaring at me from the garage as I went through the paperwork. 

See? Now fuck that...it's time to go Chicago on his ass...
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2008, 11:15:44 PM »

Quote from: Z-Corn on May 21, 2008, 11:09:39 PM

See? Now fuck that...it's time to go Chicago on his ass...

I fail to see how that will help matters.   icon_confused

Unless hepcat is looking for a date to take his mind off of things.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2008, 11:41:09 PM »

Jails are a lot different in Chicago.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2008, 03:08:42 PM »

Victory!  I just called the insurance agent that contacted me yesterday and she told me that the JL manager admitted it was their fault (although having an audio recording of their head mechanic telling me this the day the car blew up might have prompted him to do so  icon_wink).  She then told me that they're accepting the claim and that the insurance agency is just getting an estimate for the work before signing off on it.  They'll then contact my dealership to get it towed and then call Hertz to pay for my rental car. 

I may be able to finally sleep tonight!

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 22, 2008, 03:08:42 PM

Victory!  I just called the insurance agent that contacted me yesterday and she told me that the JL manager admitted it was their fault (although having an audio recording of their head mechanic telling me this the day the car blew up might have prompted him to do so  icon_wink).  She then told me that they're accepting the claim and that the insurance agency is just getting an estimate for the work before signing off on it.  They'll then contact my dealership to get it towed and then call Hertz to pay for my rental car. 

Congrats!

off to Jiffy Lube for an oil change!  biggrin
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2008, 04:36:39 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 22, 2008, 03:08:42 PM

Awesome news!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2008, 07:18:55 PM »

latest news:  they towed my car to the dealership and the insurance agent has agreed to put a brand new engine into it.  the insurance company has been very helpful with every facet of this operation, even contacting Hertz and taking the billing off my credit card for the rental car.  i've been told to expect my car back sometime early next week...although i'm not holding my breath.  replacing an engine isn't something you do quickly, i'd imagine.

also, considering that the insurance company has been so willing and ready to meet my every demand, I've decided to see how far i can go with this.  to that end I have asked them to have the body shop at my dealership paint a diorama on the side of my car depicting a topless amazon fighting a sabretooth tiger while members of White Snake look on from a mountain top in the background.  i've also asked for the words "Bitch Magnet" to be written on the hood in bright red lettering.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2008, 07:53:57 PM »

Congrats, you'll now have CeeKay humping your car while parked.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2008, 08:03:57 PM »

(PR enters the thread and sings:)

Here I go again on my own,
going down the only road I've ever known
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone
Butttt I madeee up my minddd
I ain't wastin' no more time

So... Heeerreee I go aggainnnnn!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 08:08:18 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2008, 02:02:33 PM »

Update:  I got my beloved Matrix back Friday afternoon.  The dealership put in a whole new engine.  They also put in a new battery while they were at it since mine was supposedly not holding a charge very well.  Total cost out of pocket:  120 dollars.  The rest was covered by the insurance agency. 

I do have to say though, I get the distinct feeling that my dealership took the insurance company for every penny they could get.  The service manager at the dealership seemed to almost take pride in the number of things he got them to pay for.   icon_confused

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2008, 03:33:37 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 16, 2008, 02:02:33 PM

Update:  I got my beloved Matrix back Friday afternoon.  The dealership put in a whole new engine.  They also put in a new battery while they were at it since mine was supposedly not holding a charge very well.  Total cost out of pocket:  120 dollars.  The rest was covered by the insurance agency. 

I do have to say though, I get the distinct feeling that my dealership took the insurance company for every penny they could get.  The service manager at the dealership seemed to almost take pride in the number of things he got them to pay for.   icon_confused

Congrats!! Way to stick to your guns and get what you deserved out of the deal.  Now to break in that new engine!!  (oh and don't take it back to JL ever!!...or atleast until you need another new engine)

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2008, 05:17:04 PM »

thanks for the kind words.  I attribute my success in this endeavor almost solely to Peterock's constant chidings that his wife was more of a man than i was...

...err...you know what i mean.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: