http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 10:26:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call me Schleprock...now with updates  (Read 3924 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2008, 08:43:10 PM »

Just another day in the life of Hepcat:

So I take my car in for it's 3000 mile oil change yesterday.  I go to a neighborhood Jiffy Lube that I've used for the past 6 years.  I have them change the oil, put in a new cabin air filter and refill the wiper fluid (which they forgot to do).   Then I go to the Y and straight home.  A total of about 4 miles.  Later that night, I go over to a friend's house for a movie night.  It's about an 11 mile drive.  On the way home via the expressway, my oil light goes on and my car starts making this knocking sound.  I can't pull over immediately as I'm in the middle of a Chicago highway with tons of construction and no shoulder to speak of.  After about 5 miles of construction, I get to a place where I can pull over...at which point my car immediately dies.  I look under my car and lo and behold, there's a trail of oil. 

I call Geico roadside assistance and they send a tow truck to get me and drop my car off at a local garage that geico uses.  Then I get a ride home from guy and hit the sack.  At 9am I ride my bike to the garage and set up an diagnostic appointment to verify what I fear to the be the case:  blown engine.  In the meantime, the Jiffy Lube that screwed me has opened so I call to tell them what's happened.  They immediately tell me, "We're sending our head mechanice right now.  Don't let anyone touch it until he verifies the problem!"  That's no issue as the back up at the garage is pretty extreme and they've told me they won't be able to look at my auto for at least 2 to 3 hours. 

The mechanic arrives.  I've already called Zarathud (another lawyer from OO that I game with) and woke his sorry ass up to ask for legal advice.  He gives me the best bit of wisdom that can be had in this situation:  document EVERYTHING.  So I whip out my cell phone and record an audio file with the mechanic's name.  I then ask what he's doing through every step of his inspection.  He informs me (which I recorded) that my car has no oil left (Thanks, I didn't know that  Roll Eyes ) and that it appears the oil plug was loose.  He then tells me that he believes the engine is shot.  I make him repeat all this into my phone.  I then call the assistant manager at Jiffy Lube that I've been dealing with and he tells me that they're going to tow my car to their mechanic for a more thorough inspection, but that it won't be open until tomorrow.  I call Geico (I have mechanical breakdown insurance, but I consider this to be Jiffy Lube's fault entirely so I haven't officially made a claim) and give them all this info, including the name of the assistant manager, his phone number, the name of the auto shop it's being taken to and their phone number).  Then I call back the assistant manager at Jiffy Lube and ask about a rental.  He says he'll check with his manager and about 15 minutes later he calls back to tell me that I can pick up a rental car at Hertz rental agency next to them first thing Monday morning.

So now I'm sitting here, fuming.  I keep imagining all the ways they're going to try to wriggle out of being responsible for this.  However, considering that the problem occurred the same day I had the oil change and in less than 30 miles after getting it done, I honestly feel that it's THEIR fault. 

icon_mad

Now I have to take a day off work to get the rental car and then head over to their mechanics to watch over their shoulder to make sure they don't try to screw me over.  Geico is supposed to have a claims adjuster call me in the morning to go over what my rights in this matter with the Jiffy Lube and my insurance policy.  I don't want to have Geico pay for it as it will only increase my insurance payments (I believe), although if worse comes to worse, I imagine that with the document trail I've assembled (including my original receipt from Jiffy Lube) should give Geico all they need to pursue this matter in court if Jiffy Lube tries to find an out by claiming...well, I don't know WHAT they could claim, to be honest.  They messed up, plain and simple. 

I'm also worried that even if they own up to it, they'll try to replace my Toyota Matrix engine with only 40,000 miles on it with some used piece of crap that they took from a junker with 100,000 miles or more on it.

Sorry, just had to vent.  It's not been a good day.   icon_frown

update 8:30am, May 19th - Jiffy Lube is getting my rental car but while talking to the assistant manager handling this I was told I would have to pay for it but that they would reimburse me.  I was told this would all be in writing.  A bit of a surprise, but I guess I can understand due to them wanting to make sure I'm not trying to pull one over on them.  As long as I have it in writing that I'll be reimbursed, I won't make a big stink on this matter.

I also called the auto shop where they towed it and spoke to the head technician.  He was extremely nice, which caught me off guard.  I explained that he was just to give it an inspection as I needed the dealer to do any repairs because of the existing warranty terms (voided if a non-Toyota dealer replaces the part due to the powertrain warranty remaining on the vehicle).  He told me he would see if that was actually the case as he expressed some doubts that that was true.  I've had some issues with the dealer being less than truthful in past work on my car, so I said to go ahead and check with Toyota for me on this matter.  The shop my car is at has a pretty high satisfaction rating on review sites.

update 12:50pm, May 19th - Picked up my rental car.  Had the manager put it down in writing that I was to be reimbursed for it.  Then I stopped by the auto shop where my car was towed.  They hadn't looked at it yet, so no news there.  A Geico claims adjuster called and told me I was doing everything in the right order and that if JL didn't own up to this, Geico would cover it under my mechanical breakdown policy and then go after JL themselves with their much larger team of lawyers (my team of lawyers is primarily engaged with my many sexual harrasment suits as well as performing impromptu versions of A Streetcar Named Desire whenever I snap my fingers).  He did mention that JL usually covers the cost in situations like this and that he saw no way they could reasonably avoid responsibility for it.

update 8:30am, May 20th - The rest of the survivors have eaten Stan.  I fear I'm next as I know these thighs of mine are MAGNIFICENT!

...wait, sorry...wrong log.  Where were we?  Oh yes.  Manager of JL has turned me over to his insurance agency after my demands that the repairs be done by my dealership.  This will take longer, but I think it's the best course of action in that it will allow me to keep my warranties intact.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:58:36 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:54:48 PM »

Man that blows, and not just your engine.   icon_razz

Just trying to cheer you up.  Update as the story unfolds if you don't mind.  I hate auto shops.  I can't remember that last time all my fluids were checked/filled without me pointing out they weren't before I left. 

morlac00 on PSN
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 08:57:30 PM »

Quote from: morlac on May 18, 2008, 08:54:48 PM

Man that blows, and not just your engine.   icon_razz

Just trying to cheer you up.  Update as the story unfolds if you don't mind.  I hate auto shops.  I can't remember that last time all my fluids were checked/filled without me pointing out they weren't before I left. 

icon_lol  poor zarathud and seppe from the OO boards have had to deal with my phone calls bitching about this problem today.  I really need to buy them a beer or ten after having let me bend their ears on this matter. 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 09:09:29 PM »

The only thing you may have done wrong is get your insurance company involved before you cleared up Jiffy Lubes liability in this.  It may not be an issue but it gives Geico wriggle room if Jiffy refuses to pay for it.  I had this happen to a friend thru an Uncle Eds oil shop and between the insurance company and Uncle Ed's it took 6 months to clear up the liability issues as both parties claimed the other was liable for the claim.  In the end the insurance company did pay and then sued Uncle Eds to recover the costs.  Documentation was essential in the matter so definately document everything you can.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 09:22:11 PM »

Regarding Geico's involvement, that may be an issue.  However, I've had nothing but good experiences with them so I'm hoping this doesn't break that streak of good luck.  Plus, my "private lawyer"  slywink said it was a good idea in that Geico would be better prepared to take them to court for the repair charges if JL doesn't pay up.

As a humorous side note, I just called the dealership where I bought the car and told them the story.  The mechanic laughed and told me that Jiffy Lube is one of their biggest clients because they do this kind of crap pretty often.  He said he's never heard of a customer NOT getting Jiffy Lube to pay in cases exactly like mine (problem occurs same day as oil change).  He also told me to insist that I have Toyota do the repair as having the garage to which Jiffy Lube towed it for the estimate will completely void my warranty (it's got 40,000 miles on it and the warranty is for 60,000/5 years on the power train).  Plus he warned me that they will most likely try to put some crap engine in it that I have no known history for.  Unfortunately, JL is closed for the day, but it's gonna be my first phone call in the morning, by god!

I'm also more worried now about JL's honesty as the mechanic from JL that looked at it this morning told me he'd been there for 6 years and had never seen this happen before.  Either his outlet is squeaky clean and the others in the area are the toyota guy was referring to, or he's just fibbing.  If it's the latter, it means they're probably looking to screw me.   icon_frown
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 01:09:33 PM by hepcat » Logged

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 09:23:17 PM »

I had this happen to me in College, only that the plug didn't fall out, it was just put on loosely and eventually came off a couple of weeks later and the engine locked on the way home. Sucks because I couldn't go back to Jiffy Lube with a complaint because it had been so long and would've been hard to prove.

Hopefully they take care of you completely.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 12:12:46 AM »

My dad taught me that, if I don't do it myself, I have to always check the oil after a change.
I don't always do it, though.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 05:05:49 AM »

Good luck.  I hope everything works out.  It sounds like you are covering all of your bases.

I have never taken my car to a Jiffy Lube and would never, ever do so.  So many horror stories from that place.  I wouldn't trust them to put gas in my car without somehow fucking it up.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 01:08:39 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on May 19, 2008, 05:05:49 AM

Good luck.  I hope everything works out.  It sounds like you are covering all of your bases.

I have never taken my car to a Jiffy Lube and would never, ever do so.  So many horror stories from that place.  I wouldn't trust them to put gas in my car without somehow fucking it up.

I have now learned that lesson the hard way.  icon_frown  From now on I'll go to the dealership or to my mechanic. 

Hemlock Bones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 02:12:54 PM »

Even when they do screw the plug in tight, it's mis-threaded and not only leaks but has now messed up the oil pan threads.  Only the dealership changes my car's oil.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 02:20:21 PM »

Hi highly recommend buying a Fumoto Valve.  These things are amazing.  They hardly stick out more than the regular oil cap, and instead of a messy and accident prone unscrewing and rescrewing for an oil change all you do is lift and rotate a little lever.  Double sealed ball valve keeps it leak-free, and its simplicity keeps it idiot-proof.

One of the best $20 I ever spent.
Hemlock Bones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 02:23:59 PM »

Thanks for that, that's great!  thumbsup
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 03:08:13 PM »

Don't think that because you take it to a dealer you're getting any better service. It's not like they have one of their mechanics doing the oil change - the person doing the oil change is basically the same person doing the oil change at Jiffy Lube.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 03:40:02 PM »

That's great wonderpug! I think I'll get one of those.

About a year and a half ago, my lady called me up and said "the check engine light is on," so I said "check the oil." I then had to walk her, step by step, through the process.
There was none. Apparently Wal-Mart had stripped the plug and put in something else altogether. She took it to her regular mechanic and they fixed it, but man what a scare. It had been weeks, too.
As I said, I need to listen to my dad and CHECK AFTER EACH CHANGE.

Best of luck, hepcat.

PSN ID: EduardoX
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 05:58:47 PM »

thanks for all the words of support and wisdom.  i'm in a waiting stage right now until i get word from the garage JL towed my car to.  However, I did stop and get Age of Conan on my way home so I'm loading that up now.  That should help with the suspense...   icon_lol

SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 06:25:14 PM »

There will come, a reckoning.  ninja2

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 09:52:20 PM »

Okay, the manager at Jiffy Lube just called to say that they're replacing the engine and covering all the costs.  However, during the course of our discussion, he told me two things that make me a little concerned:

1) They're doing this out of pocket so he doesn't have to go through his insurance company.

2) They're going to replace it with a used engine with the same or less mileage (I had 40,000 on mine). 

I was under the impression they'd replace it with a new engine this whole time.  I'm just a bit concerned.  Any thoughts from anyone who's been in this situation before?

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 09:56:23 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 19, 2008, 09:52:20 PM

Okay, the manager at Jiffy Lube just called to say that they're replacing the engine and covering all the costs.  However, during the course of our discussion, he told me two things that make me a little concerned:

1) They're doing this out of pocket so he doesn't have to go through his insurance company.

2) They're going to replace it with a used engine with the same or less mileage (I had 40,000 on mine). 

I was under the impression they'd replace it with a new engine this whole time.  I'm just a bit concerned.  Any thoughts from anyone who's been in this situation before?

I'd call my insurance company and get their take on this.  Though it's not unheard of for someone to do this, it's in your best interests to make sure that what they're doing is legit.  And, I would also insist that it be done by the dealership instead.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 10:01:11 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 19, 2008, 09:56:23 PM

I'd call my insurance company and get their take on this.  Though it's not unheard of for someone to do this, it's in your best interests to make sure that what they're doing is legit.  And, I would also insist that it be done by the dealership instead.

icon_lol  i'm on the phone with geico as i write this.  I just don't know what my rights in this type of situation encompass.  It sounds like the general manager who i've been dealing with is dead set on not using my dealership, although i haven't pushed the matter as I just found out about 20 minutes ago that they were going to cover it.  he assures me that this is standard procedure in this situation and that they will put it in writing that if anything happens with that engine, they'll handle it.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 10:04:58 PM »

We once had the oil changed in our Elantra at a Jiffy Lube and they over-tightened the lock-plug where the oil drains from the car and while driving to Pittsburgh leaking oil did about $500 worth of damage under the car.  My wife first complained to the local manager and made minimal progress, and so she escalated things right up to corporate.  They covered all repairs, at our Hyundai dealer, with brand new parts (anyone else doing the repairs would have voided our 100,000 mile warranty).  If you aren't happy with the solution proposed by the local manager, perhaps going higher is the answer.  It worked for us.  Although you haven't met my wife.  I continue to be amazed at what she has been able to accomplish when she is wronged by someone.  

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 10:16:22 PM »

Yeah, the guy at Geico told me that I should insist that they restore my warranty since i have 40,000 miles and it's not quite 3 years old, while the warranty is for 60,000 or 5 years.  The manager at JL was pretty adamant that they wanted to do this through their mechanic and outside the insurance company. 

okay, while i was writing this, the JL manager called and I asked him about the warranty concerns.  he told me he'd put it in writing that they would match the remainder of the warranty from Toyota on my engine and that they'd make sure the engine was a 2005 or newer with less than 40,000 miles on it.  I'll of course have another mechanic give it a thorough going over after they do the work to make sure it's good, though.  without starting a huge war over this that might drag on for a while, i think this is a fair settlement at this point.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:28:21 PM by hepcat » Logged

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 10:54:43 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 19, 2008, 10:16:22 PM

Yeah, the guy at Geico told me that I should insist that they restore my warranty since i have 40,000 miles and it's not quite 3 years old, while the warranty is for 60,000 or 5 years.  The manager at JL was pretty adamant that they wanted to do this through their mechanic and outside the insurance company. 

okay, while i was writing this, the JL manager called and I asked him about the warranty concerns.  he told me he'd put it in writing that they would match the remainder of the warranty from Toyota on my engine and that they'd make sure the engine was a 2005 or newer with less than 40,000 miles on it.  I'll of course have another mechanic give it a thorough going over after they do the work to make sure it's good, though.  without starting a huge war over this that might drag on for a while, i think this is a fair settlement at this point.

Apparently you aren't intimidating enough.  icon_wink  Once my wife went to corporate for restitution, at first they suggested that we pay for the repairs out of our own pocket and then Jiffy Lube would reimburse us for the cost of repairs.  Let's just say that my wife expressed her disappointment at this proposed solution in a not-so-subtle way, and in less than 24 hours a check arrived at our door, from Jiffy Lube, covering the full amount of repairs.  I wasn't present for her conversation over the phone, but it must have been pretty damn persuasive.    ninja 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 11:00:01 PM »

after speaking to a friend, i realized one issue that crops up with them covering the warranty:  it will probably only apply to that one mechanic when it comes to repairs.  what if i move before that 20,000 mile coverage is up?  tomorrow morning i'm going to call and just tell them point blank that i want a written warranty in my hands detailing the terms and extending to work done by any mechanic local to where I'm at or it's going to have to go through my dealership.  i have a feeling he'll balk at that so i guess i should prepare myself for a battle now.   icon_cry

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 11:22:59 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 19, 2008, 11:00:01 PM

after speaking to a friend, i realized one issue that crops up with them covering the warranty:  it will probably only apply to that one mechanic when it comes to repairs.  what if i move before that 20,000 mile coverage is up?  tomorrow morning i'm going to call and just tell them point blank that i want a written warranty in my hands detailing the terms and extending to work done by any mechanic local to where I'm at or it's going to have to go through my dealership.  i have a feeling he'll balk at that so i guess i should prepare myself for a battle now.   icon_cry

If their mistakes could lead to voiding your dealer warranty, then they should have no say in the matter.  Toyota does the work or you continue to fight.  That was our problem and Jiffy Lube understood our position and "made it right."  They F'd up.  Now they have to fix it, and that shouldn't involve voiding any already-existing warranties.  Check with your dealer, and if any work done by anyone but a Toyota-sanctioned mechanic voids the warranty then prepare for a battle with Jiffy Lube.  They made right by us.  There is no reason you should settle for any less.  They've already set the precedent. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 11:38:04 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 19, 2008, 11:22:59 PM

They've already set the precedent. 

true enough.  the manager even said on the phone earlier, in these exact words, "one of our guys screwed up and we're taking responsibility".  i just need to confront him tomorrow morning and let him know that my rights as the injured party are the ones that should be primarily catered to in this matter.

in addition to the problem with mechanic locations i mentioned earlier, this would effectively void the toyota powertrain warranty, which also covers the transmission.   

oy, i just need to tell him up front tomorrow morning that it's the dealership or i go to corporate, i guess.   
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:42:57 PM by hepcat » Logged

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 11:48:36 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 19, 2008, 11:38:04 PM

oy, i just need to tell him up front tomorrow morning that it's the dealership or i go to corporate, i guess.   

Exactly.  Their only goal right now should be to remedy the situation without forcing you to sacrifice any existing warranties.  First speak with your dealer to find out if you are at risk of voiding any existing warranties.  If so, it's dealership or bust.  If they balk at your request, politely thank them for all of their help but explain that you have concerns about your warranty and feel that escalating the matter to a corporate level may earn you more satisfactory results.  That way they do not have to play the role of middle-man between you and those with authority, and you can get the results you are ultimately shooting for.  You shouldn't have to settle for anything.  They should repair your car as necessary to preserve existing warranties.  You accept nothing less for your hair.  I see no reason why you should with your car.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 11:56:12 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 19, 2008, 11:48:36 PM

Quote from: hepcat on May 19, 2008, 11:38:04 PM

Exactly.  Their only goal right now should be to remedy the situation without forcing you to sacrifice any existing warranties.  First speak with your dealer to find out if you are at risk of voiding any existing warranties.  If so, it's dealership or bust.  If they balk at your request, politely thank them for all of their help but explain that you have concerns about your warranty and feel that escalating the matter to a corporate level may earn you more satisfactory results.  That way they do not have to play the role of middle-man between you and those with authority, and you can get the results you are ultimately shooting for.  You shouldn't have to settle for anything.  They should repair your car as necessary to preserve existing warranties.  You accept nothing less for your hair.  I see no reason why you should with your car.

you're readin' my mind, boyo.  i just got off the phone with my dealership and he also pointed out that it would void my emissions warranty, which covers the catalytic converter. 

time to put my foot down, i guess. 

JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 12:09:14 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 19, 2008, 03:08:13 PM

Don't think that because you take it to a dealer you're getting any better service. It's not like they have one of their mechanics doing the oil change - the person doing the oil change is basically the same person doing the oil change at Jiffy Lube.
That's the truth 'cause my brother-in-law runs his own station and knows guys who move from Jiffy Lube to dealer repair shops to his shop and back: it always pays to be careful in the first few hours of taking into to ANY auto repair. In other words, don't have work done  the day(s)before going on vacation or long drives.

Anyhow, the idea that Jiffy Lube is worse than the other dozens of franchise and local places isn't necessarily true.

Good luck. Everyone fears auto repair nightmares like this.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 01:39:44 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 19, 2008, 11:56:12 PM

you're readin' my mind, boyo.  i just got off the phone with my dealership and he also pointed out that it would void my emissions warranty, which covers the catalytic converter. 

time to put my foot down, i guess. 

When I mentioned your situation to my wife last night she immediately went into a tirade.  "Those motherfuckers messed up my car and tried to pull one over on me, you tell hepcat not to let them dictate the terms.  GO STRAIGHT TO CORPORATE!  YOU TELL HIM!  He better not let them screw him!  Those motherfuckers!  YOU TELL HIM!  I want Balboa!  I want Balboa!  You hear that, Old Man?  You tell Balboa to come here!  Nobody can beat me!  You tell him what I said!  And he's NEXT!  I'm gonna kill him!  Nobody can stop me!  You tell Balboa that!  I'M COMING AFTER HIM!  YOU TELL HIM!"   icon_eek

I'm glad her anger has subsided over the years.   ninja
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:59:44 PM by PeteRock » Logged

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 01:52:37 PM »

Thanks to the constant questioning of my manhood by the alpha male known as Peterock, I did put my foot down.  Surprisingly, the manager I'm dealing with is turning out to be a pretty reasonable guy when pressed.  He said he understood my situation and that he would now turn this over to his insurance agency and that they would be contacting me with further info on how to proceed.  This will end up taking longer than if I'd gone directly through the manager (who apparently owns a chain of Jiffy Lubes and has the scratch to do this kind of thing...although not enough to pay for the labor charges from a dealership, I guess), but in the end I think I'll be safer and happier with the job.

Hemlock Bones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 02:28:10 PM »

Absolutely true, but when they screw up and the dealership fixes it you don't have warranty issues.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 02:37:51 PM »

Quote from: Hemlock Bones on May 20, 2008, 02:28:10 PM

Absolutely true, but when they screw up and the dealership fixes it you don't have warranty issues.

yeah, from now on i'm getting all my oil changes and maintenance work done at the dealership.  i'm just really annoyed at the stress this is causing me right now.

LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »

While you are correct, my philosophy is that a single pont of contact is a single point of failure.  While my car is under warranty, I get all work done at the dealership I bought the car from.  That way they get all blame for anything that goes wrong.  To me this worth an extra hundie a year or whatever I am getting jacked by them.  Their treatment of me goes a long way to determine if I get another car with them.  Though, if given the choice, I drive a car forever, so I'm really not great for repeat business.  (I've been driving my escort for eleven years/135,000 miles)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 03:21:30 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 19, 2008, 10:04:58 PM

We once had the oil changed in our Elantra at a Jiffy Lube and they over-tightened the lock-plug where the oil drains from the car and while driving to Pittsburgh leaking oil did about $500 worth of damage under the car.  My wife first complained to the local manager and made minimal progress, and so she escalated things right up to corporate.  They covered all repairs, at our Hyundai dealer, with brand new parts (anyone else doing the repairs would have voided our 100,000 mile warranty).  If you aren't happy with the solution proposed by the local manager, perhaps going higher is the answer.  It worked for us.  Although you haven't met my wife.  I continue to be amazed at what she has been able to accomplish when she is wronged by someone.  

God help you if you ever cheat on her. Tongue

I get my oil changes at my dealership; if there's a fuckup it's on THEIR books. As to the engine replacement, I'd talk to your dealership and ensure they have signed off on it. Get it in writing.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2008, 03:25:09 PM »

What a shittastic turn of events, hep. I'm sorry to hear about your car trouble. I always find car trouble to be very sincerely annoying. It looks that you're being very well counseled by your friends, as well as Geico's lawyers, so that's a great start. Don't let that incompetent JL get away with it! You make sure you get them to replace your car.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on May 20, 2008, 03:25:09 PM

You make sure you get them to replace your car.

unfortunately the JL manager did not take me seriously when i presented him with my hand drawn sketch of the replacement car I initially wanted.  he felt that "jet powered hover car with laser headlights" was just too much to ask, I guess.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 03:37:23 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 20, 2008, 02:37:51 PM

yeah, from now on i'm getting all my oil changes and maintenance work done at the dealership.  i'm just really annoyed at the stress this is causing me right now.

I've got nothing for you if you're an apartment dweller like me and have no garage, but if you're outsourcing your oil changes because you don't know how to do them, you should know they're incredibly incredibly easy to do--particularly if you install that Fumoto Valve I linked to above.  Less expensive than having it done for you, you'll know it's being done right, and it can be done quicker than it takes to drive to Jiffy Lube and back.

If you have enough ground clearance to install the Fumoto Valve with a nipple (no giggling) you can hook a tube to it and drain it straight into a jug, no drain pan necessary.  The only mess you have to worry about is when you remove the filter.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 03:45:25 PM »

thanks wonderpug, but i'm one of those loser apartment people.   icon_frown  i may actually have my dealer put in that plug you're talking about, though.  it would certainly make my monitoring their work easier, if nothing else.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 03:53:45 PM »

Remind me to turn the plug under wonderpug's car a quarter turn. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 04:46:28 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 20, 2008, 03:53:45 PM

Remind me to turn the plug under wonderpug's car a quarter turn. Tongue

you know that does worry me ... its a great idea, but what if someone did turn the thing to screw with you...hmmm.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: