http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 09:30:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calculus  (Read 586 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2014, 09:26:16 AM »

Posting this here because 1) I have an hour to waste to waste until the start of the Tour de France, and more importantly, 2) I believe most here are quite educated and could possibly provide advice in this area.

I am working on a second AA degree, because my first one is useless. I am currently in a community college and have a couple of quarters left for a business transfer degree (goal is accounting). My problem is that calculus is kicking my ass. I am 26 years out of high school, where I found math really easy but haven't used it much in that time. About 3 years ago I took College Algebra online and got an A. I got that grade because the class was homework based but the book came with a CD where every homework problem was displayed in detailed. The tests I didn't do great, but the homework made up for it. I learned nothing and while I can do basic algebra, my skills are weak.

So fast froward to this year where I have to take Business Calculus. I was taking it last quarter with a full load of classes. I was finding that every night all my time was taken trying to learn calculus and left me little time for my other classes. So I dropped it. I decided to take only Business Calculus this summer so I could put all my time towards it. This time I felt way behind the rest of the class. Everyone seemed to understand what was going on while I was just lost even though I was doing 5-6 hours of homework a night. So I dropped it again. I think I could have powered through it, but getting an A is extremely important.

Between Kahn Academy and Wolfram I am slowly getting there, but I figured I need to start from scratch. What route should I take? Do I retake College Algebra? Will that teach me how to use a graphing calculator that everyone else in my class seems to be quite familiar with? Should I take pre-calculus? GPA is extremely important so I can transfer to a good university for the accounting degree. I have time to drag this out if need be, but would rather not. What is the best route to go to take business calc with an A without killing myself over stress?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:28:01 AM by Lee » Logged
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 10:41:54 AM »

What exactly did college algebra go over? Did it introduce you to integrals, derivatives, etc or no? If not, you might want to consider pre-calc - there is a reason Algebra 2 and Pre-Calc are two separate classes.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 12:11:15 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on July 05, 2014, 10:41:54 AM

What exactly did college algebra go over? Did it introduce you to integrals, derivatives, etc or no? If not, you might want to consider pre-calc - there is a reason Algebra 2 and Pre-Calc are two separate classes.

That's part of the problem, I don't really remember what it covered. I mean we did lots of graphs (by hand), factoring, quadratic equation calculations, etc. I really don't remember much of it. I can factor basic equations, I know the difference between various graph types, but I am really limited. What I am unsure of is how much algebra do really I really need to know for calculus? Is it just the basics, or does it refer to it heavily? The business calc class starts off with a couple of days of algebra review but it seems to rely heavily on a graphing calculator which I have never used. I talked to both professors and I get a "you should know this stuff already, if not get a tutor" answer.

Last quarter the kids in my my class that were in the calc class I dropped spent the quarter stressing over it, a few didn't think they were going to pass. The two guys I talked to this quarter were both on their second attempt to pass the class. Heck I even talked to my schools tutoring sections and they even said calculus was generally their weakest area.  I think I am psyching myself out over it at this point.

Edit: and pre calc isn't required. My required classes are college algebra and business calc (or regular calculus). I am more than willing to take pre calc if it's helpful, I just can't seem to get a straight answer from the professors on what I should take.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 12:14:08 PM by Lee » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 08:20:06 PM »

I have a double business degree from a 4-year university in Business Programming and General Business.  Not once did I have to take a calculus class nor have I ever been presented with a working problem where it was required.

I took statistics, business math, accounting, finance, and way too much economics.  But calculus was never required.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 09:20:34 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 05, 2014, 08:20:06 PM

I have a double business degree from a 4-year university in Business Programming and General Business.  Not once did I have to take a calculus class nor have I ever been presented with a working problem where it was required.

I took statistics, business math, accounting, finance, and way too much economics.  But calculus was never required.

That's interesting, you have a programming degree and didn't need calculus? I figured that would be a math heavy degree.

This transfer degree I am getting is a core group of classes that WA universities agreed upon. Any state U will accept it for entry into their business departments. I am not sure why business calc is required, it seems way above anything I would need for accounting, marketing, or anything else.

Everything has been mostly easy so far, except this. I am really stressed out over and feel like a loser for giving up. I decided I have to do this though, I have to get through this and get at least an AA degree. I just turned down a job offer too. icon_neutral
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 12:38:06 AM »

Programming has some math heavy elements depending on what you do, but a lot of it is for example linear algebra more than calc itself.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 03:03:07 AM »

Most of the heavy math lifting for programmers ended up in the CS department, which is under the engineering college.  There's plenty of math to go around between the two semesters of Math Analysis and Stats, but after that, it's all business applications in Accounting, Finance, Programming. 

Regardless, I tool calculus in HS and my first year of college when I decided I wanted to be an astronomy major, which is really just a physics degree.  To me, derivatives were easy.  When it got to integrals, I got lost, and never found my way back in.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 04:51:51 PM »

All this talk bout learnin makes me tired.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 09:16:04 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on July 06, 2014, 04:51:51 PM

Ha, try doing it again, school is far more draining at my age than most of the jobs I have had over the years. Plus I don't even get the social element like I would if I was still 20. It's weird being around 20 year olds all day (and not being their supervisor), although everyone has been really cool to me. Just sucks when you are talking to a girl and then you remember you are twice her age! icon_frown I don't envy these kids though, a lot of them are working full time and going to school full time. I can't even imagine doing that.

I am intrigued by your degree Isgrimnur, I had never heard of it. I love computers, but I ruled out CS because of the math. I wonder if I should look more in that area? Although I do quite like accounting, I just don't know how far I am going with it since certification will take quite awhile (if I go that route).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:17:50 PM by Lee » Logged
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 04:05:17 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 06, 2014, 09:16:04 PM

Ha, try doing it again, school is far more draining at my age than most of the jobs I have had over the years. Plus I don't even get the social element like I would if I was still 20. It's weird being around 20 year olds all day (and not being their supervisor), although everyone has been really cool to me. Just sucks when you are talking to a girl and then you remember you are twice her age! icon_frown I don't envy these kids though, a lot of them are working full time and going to school full time. I can't even imagine doing that.

I am intrigued by your degree Isgrimnur, I had never heard of it. I love computers, but I ruled out CS because of the math. I wonder if I should look more in that area? Although I do quite like accounting, I just don't know how far I am going with it since certification will take quite awhile (if I go that route).

Cool perspective. Keep up the good work! Just hands off the 20 yr old girls! Um, or not.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on July 07, 2014, 04:05:17 PM

Cool perspective. Keep up the good work! Just hands off the 20 yr old girls! Um, or not.
I believe such an act will grant you access to a "special Hell". 

I bombed out on calc twice after realizing that while everyone in the class got to derivatives and was "oh, that makes sense", I only understood it late after a second attempt.  Then we got to the integrals and I knew it was time to bail.   

Oddly enough, I never had an issue with geometry and trig.  mind is just wired that way. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 05:18:45 PM »

The actual term for it is Management Information Systems and all the classes were labeled Information Systems and Quantitative Sciences (ISQS).  It's easier to say Business Programming in the general conversational sense.

From my limited experience of job searching in 2007 that finally got me my first career-related job, the business job fair was heavy with companies looking for accounting and finance majors, outnumbering everyone else.  Regardless of the economic status, money has to be moved and tracked.

After that, there were enough people looking for business programmers that I was able to net 4 interviews, two on-site interviews, and one job offer that I accepted.  Companies looking for Marketing and Management majors were mainly looking for people to be salespeople, like Enterprise Rent-a-car.

As a MIS major, you won't be programming games or robots or any of the cool stuff that they like to do news reports and make movies about, but I've been working directly or indirectly for financial institutions for the past 6.5 years.  My first project was for a bank that went under after 1.5 years of work in 2009, a week before we went to pilot.  At the end of the day, I still got paid, and I learned a lot.  There was another project in the pipe, I was transferred over, and kept working.

I don't have to know all the financial and accounting equations and rules to do my job effectively, I just have to know how to implement what other people ask me for.  While my department will always be a cost sink, it's my job to help others become more efficient so they can drive revenue.  At the end of the day, if the powers that be know and respect what I do and I keep my internal customers happy, I'm assured of a nice, cushy office well away from the teen teller line and the mass of humanity that are our customers.

stessier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 04:12:07 PM »

I have a MS in chemical engineering and had to take a ton of calculus.  From your description, it sounds like the calculator is the main stumbling block.  Do you still have access to the course material?  Can you just practice that information and using the calculator?

If that's not really the issue, can you explain more what type of information the class covers?  Does it start with the limit definition of a derivative?  Does it start with Reimann Sums to define what integrals are, or is that already assumed?  Do you know how far it goes?  Partial fractions?  Partial derivatives? Differential equations?  If you could link to a syllabus, that would help to.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 12:49:13 AM »

It's a combination of not remembering everything about algebra and the calculator I think are my problems. I panicked a bit each day when the instructor was going over everything from the day before and everyone else seemed to get it but me. And the repeated "you should know this".

I have been playing with the calculator and learning how to use it (thanks youtube), but for algebra I think I just need a good refresher. I am working on getting through algebra on Kahn Academy so maybe that will be enough.

I dropped the class both times when we got into limits. I get the idea, but then I would get home and do the homework and I didn't feel like I even began to understand it enough to get through the homework. I don't think its the professors fault, so I wonder if there is some class I should take before this one, such as pre-calculus maybe?

Seems like a of kids struggle through this class. I need to give up the idea of getting an A on everything and just get through it.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 02:19:38 AM »

I used to tutor the kids working nights at my call center job when they were having algebra issues.  I'd certainly be willing to offer any assistance I can in that arena.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 02:44:07 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 10, 2014, 02:19:38 AM

I used to tutor the kids working nights at my call center job when they were having algebra issues.  I'd certainly be willing to offer any assistance I can in that arena.

Thanks Isgrmnur, might take you up on that. Probably won't be until next year when I try again. Going to get all the other classes knocked out first.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 04:16:20 AM »

smile You know where to find me.

stessier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 03:10:17 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 10, 2014, 12:49:13 AM

It's a combination of not remembering everything about algebra and the calculator I think are my problems. I panicked a bit each day when the instructor was going over everything from the day before and everyone else seemed to get it but me. And the repeated "you should know this".

Yeah, "you should know this" is not a helpful comment from anyone.  smile  I went through it before graphing calculators were allowed.  I had to do everything on graph paper.  It might be helpful to do that a few times on some simple functions just to understand what the calculator is doing. 

I have been playing with the calculator and learning how to use it (thanks youtube), but for algebra I think I just need a good refresher. I am working on getting through algebra on Kahn Academy so maybe that will be enough.

I dropped the class both times when we got into limits. I get the idea, but then I would get home and do the homework and I didn't feel like I even began to understand it enough to get through the homework. I don't think its the professors fault, so I wonder if there is some class I should take before this one, such as pre-calculus maybe?

Seems like a of kids struggle through this class. I need to give up the idea of getting an A on everything and just get through it.

I've never tutored anyone, but feel free to ask questions here or through PM.  I check OO more often, so if it's time sensitive and you still have your login over there, it would be better to PM me there. 

Limits are where a ton of people struggle, so you're not alone.  Once it clicks, assuming it does, things get a lot easier.  smile
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »

Prior to taking Calculus:
Work through Practical Algebra and its follow-up, Geometry and Trigonometry for Calculus, by Selby. Those two are simply amazing books that will get you completely up to speed, with a deeper understanding than you thought possible.

Then during taking Calculus:
Make use of those resources:
http://www.calculus-help.com/tutorials/ -- this will take you though approximately 2/3 of the class with amazingly simple and understandable explanations of the concepts. You should also buy his Humongous Book of Calculus Problems -- it was immensely helpful for me in Calc I and II.
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu -- Paul's Online Math Notes. Also an indispensable aid for all my Calc classes (I, II and Multivariable).

You'll thank me later.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 05:17:31 PM »

Thanks everyone.

I got that algebra book you referenced this weekend Ravenii. We'll see how it goes.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 06:07:37 AM »

Apparently my only math is counting the beverages I've consumed in a night as I do not remember posting in the thread... eek
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: