http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 12:00:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bye Bye Saturday delivery  (Read 830 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2010, 08:42:50 PM »

The USPS has officially submitted a plan to end Saturday delivery.. I guess it has to be approved but I cannot see any reason why they wouldn't. So it looks like mail delivery on Saturday is going to go the way of the evening newspaper

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:44:48 PM »

That sucks, but I've been overseas for a few years anyway and my post office already closes on Saturday.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 08:45:31 PM »

Can we kick this into effect this week so no one gets their iPad until next Monday?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:46:45 PM »

I read another article that said to do this is essentially the beginning of the end of the USPS. Once people can't rely on Saturday delivery, they will start using other businesses more often or using more e-mail etc., which will further diminish revenues, leading to even fewer delivery days and eventually nothing. It was an interesting argument.

Ah, here it is: http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/03/21/greene.mail.five.days/index.html
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:48:47 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »

Yeah people will start shipping their letters via UPS...oh wait they don't deliver on Saturday....they will use FedEX - what is their minimum charge to come to my house to pick up letter? 

While I don't know if this will help I don't think removing Saturday delivery will cause people to go to somebody else.

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 09:26:10 PM »

The only things we get from USPS are bills and spam and a couple of catalogs that we can live without for a weekend.

If it will save money, I'm all for it.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 09:37:07 PM »

A government program is broke?  Shocking.

I'm amused at USPS' current push for flat rate shipping boxes.  Unless you're shipping Osmium on a regular basis, or really hate taking the time to weigh for proper postage, the flat rate boxes are a bad deal.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:41:47 PM by Laner » Logged
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »

They've been floating that for twenty years. It requires an act of congress to eliminate Saturday delivery, so we'll see when, or if they get around to it.
One of the reasons the PO's debtload is so high is because we are prefunding the retirement system. It's the only part of the government who has to do that. It's yet another hidden tax.

Imagine the Navy having to pay for all those guys in service, and having to operate under the assumption that they will all be lifers.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 09:53:05 PM »

Quote from: Laner on March 29, 2010, 09:37:07 PM

A government program is broke?  Shocking.

1.  The post office is not tax-payer funded, and hasn't been since the 80s.  First class mail is declining in volume because of the internet, so their revenues are decreasing commensurately, but they are even more efficient with delivery.
2.  They have an "affordable universal service" obligation which prevents them from just, y'know, raising their rates to cover their costs - that's so that people in tiny-ass rural towns still get mail and aren't dropped (like the airlines).  I suppose you may not value the ability to reliably send mail to anywhere in the country, but I guarantee you that's not the case for many Americans.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 10:25:13 PM »

It will weaken their competitiveness against UPS for parcel delivery by a little bit. Right now, USPS Priority Mail is cheaper for most destinations and less likely to arrive damaged than UPS Ground...and Saturday delivery almost always gives them the edge in speed. Losing Saturday delivery negates the USPS speed advantage for orders placed during the latter half of a week.

I guess Express Mail will still be delivered 7 days a week, so they still have the advantage over 2nd Day and Next Day Air.

Apart from parcels, I will miss Saturday delivery only for Netflix disks.

Quote from: Laner on March 29, 2010, 09:37:07 PM

I'm amused at USPS' current push for flat rate shipping boxes.  Unless you're shipping Osmium on a regular basis, or really hate taking the time to weigh for proper postage, the flat rate boxes are a bad deal.

The small FRB costs the same as or less than regular priority mail in most cases, although it's more expensive than First Class Parcel rates and only a little faster. The medium and large FRBs are indeed usually more expensive than non-flat rate boxes.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 10:32:56 PM »

the large FRB saved me though when I had to mail a 35 plus lb package to Monkeyfinger. I had that box jammed to the gills with a 360 and tons of extra stuff. If I had sent it first class or another method it would've cost me about $5 more than the FRB. So there are some advantages and disadvantages.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
KC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 10:49:51 PM »

Oh no, what about my Netflix deliveries!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 11:27:54 PM »

Quote from: KC on March 29, 2010, 10:49:51 PM

This was the only thought I had about it. That and my pay stub from work won't show up until the following monday now.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 12:05:37 AM »

Oh damn I didn't think about netflix. That blows but otherwise I don't see it mattering. I get something useful in the mail about once a month.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on March 29, 2010, 10:25:13 PM

As a customer, you wouldn't miss it, but as a business, you'd prefer it, correct? A lot of people can't make it to the PO by five, so often times, they'll have it redelivered on Saturday. And, as you mentioned, quicker delivery, which makes your business look better to your customer.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 12:10:22 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on March 29, 2010, 10:32:56 PM

the large FRB saved me though when I had to mail a 35 plus lb package to Monkeyfinger. I had that box jammed to the gills with a 360 and tons of extra stuff. If I had sent it first class or another method it would've cost me about $5 more than the FRB. So there are some advantages and disadvantages.

I can testify to that! Tebunker has some mad Sokoban skills, there wasn't a stitch in the way of spare space in that thing.  nod

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 12:13:34 AM »

Quote from: KC on March 29, 2010, 10:49:51 PM

An interesting article about how this change could be disastrous for Netflix.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 03:30:53 AM »

Quote from: Default on March 30, 2010, 07:59:57 PM

Quote from: Ironrod on March 29, 2010, 10:25:13 PM

As a customer, you wouldn't miss it, but as a business, you'd prefer it, correct? A lot of people can't make it to the PO by five, so often times, they'll have it redelivered on Saturday. And, as you mentioned, quicker delivery, which makes your business look better to your customer.

Exactly. Saturday package delivery is a competitive advantage that they should not give up. Nobody seems to care much about getting their junk mail and bills six days, though.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 04:58:38 AM »

i'm an avid letter writer - i send mail to friends and strangers from all over the world. writing paper notes to people and getting creative with the envelope and postcard whitespace, and including small presents is way better than email. not getting these on Saturday would be a bummer frown 

and don't many of us order items from the likes of amazon, newegg, gogamer/goozex/etc and trade games on here or other forums? getting stuff on saturday is fun.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 06:45:36 AM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on April 01, 2010, 04:58:38 AM

i send mail to friends and strangers from all over the world

Nice idea!  I think I'll try that.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print