http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 03:52:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bye Bye Net Neutrality  (Read 317 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2014, 10:55:37 AM »

Surprised this wasn't posted yet, but yesterday a DC Appeals Court struck down parts of the FCC Net Neutrality

Quote from: The Verge
A federal appeals court has struck down important segments of the FCC's Open Internet rules, determining that the agency doesn't have the power to require internet service providers to treat all traffic equally. The DC circuit court has ruled on Verizon v. FCC, a challenge to the net neutrality rules put in place in 2010, vacating the FCC's anti-discrimination and anti-blocking policies, though it preserved disclosure requirements that Verizon opposed in other words, carriers can make some traffic run faster or block other services, but they have to tell subscribers.

While all the major carriers have come out and stated nothing will change I can imagine they are finding ways to monetize this and it will affect consumers negatively

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 04:09:02 PM »

I was rather disappointed about this but I don't know enough of the subtle points to know if I should be really upset or if this is just an anomaly.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 15, 2014, 10:55:37 AM

While all the major carriers have come out and stated nothing will change I can imagine they are finding ways to monetize this and it will affect consumers negatively

AT&T came out with their announcement of 'toll-free data' before the ruling came down.  Basically, content providers can pay AT&T so that consumers can view/download their content where it doesn't count against the consumers' data package limits.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »

another win for the corporations.  great

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »

I think the hope is that the FCC will re-classify online connections to common carrier. Which would give them a much stronger leg to dictate terms. The problem is the FCC chairman was a lobbyist for cable & wireless. Which isn't to say he won't do something but more than likely will not. We really need an FCC that has the guts to go all in but I just don't see that happening.

Now if you will excuse me I have to go bleach my brain after reading a comment on GigaOm from an idiot that thinks neutrality is a bad thing.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:09:16 AM »

Yeah this sucks. Apparently in Canada,  Rogers cable is coming out with their own streaming service. They could make Netflix count against your bandwith limit but not the amount that you use through their own streaming service. Internet providers should not also be the content providers.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 03:27:27 PM »

Internet providers should not also be the content providers.

There should at least be internal firewalls that prevent them from being in the same business unit.  Just imagine if Time Warner hadn't spun off their cable unit. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: