http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 04:20:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bye Bye G4TV!  (Read 2175 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 13, 2006, 01:21:16 PM »

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10889

Looks like there will be some changes to G4.  Will it survive the merger?  Only time will tell:

E! and Style chief Ted Harbert has been given the newly created title of CEO, Comcast Entertainment Group. He will continue to report to Comcast Programming Group President Jeff Shell. G4 President Neal Tiles, who joined the network in September 2005, will now report to Mr. Harbert.

G4's executive staff will move into E!'s Los Angeles offices. Sources said layoffs among the G4 staff are likely, though Mr. Harbert said it's too soon to tell.

"When there is consolidation, if we find there's overlap in administrative and support positions, we'll have tough calls to make," he said. "But we haven't looked at that yet."

Mr. Harbert said he has not yet decided whether G4's Santa Monica production facilities will move as well. "They're shooting shows in very expensive space, but we're already maxed out at this building," he said. "I don't know what the answer is, but nothing will happen for a while."

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 01:23:12 PM »

Meh.  Ever since G4 turned into the "All Star Trek, All the time" channel, I completely lost interest in them. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 01:25:11 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 13, 2006, 01:23:12 PM

Meh.  Ever since G4 turned into the "All Star Trek, All the time" channel, I completely lost interest in them. 

I switched from Qwest to Cox for TV and lost G4 in the transition.  (yea, I'm gonna pay extra for that.  uh, no)  Haven't really felt the impact personally.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 01:27:41 PM »

I thought G4TV had been dead for a while now, as far as it being a gaming channel?  I actually sorta liked G4TV.com -- but once that was cancelled I thought it was Spike TV Jr? 

I am still watching it for Arrested Development, but beyond that I wouldn't know what is on it.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 02:49:29 PM »

Please keep Olivia Munn.  Please keep Olivia Munn.  Please keep Olivia Munn.  Please keep Olivia Munn.  Please keep Olivia Munn. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 03:07:52 PM »

Quote from: gellar on October 13, 2006, 02:49:29 PM

Please keep Olivia Munn.  Please keep Olivia Munn.  Please keep Olivia Munn.  Please keep Olivia Munn.  Please keep Olivia Munn. 

Is she the chick on AotS?  If so, I completely agree.  Uber-hotness.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 03:12:36 PM »

I hate G4.  They killed off most of the shows I like and they tend to review games with the humor and wit that appeals to teens... that is when Star Trek or the Man SHow isnt on.  I dont have G4 anymore and the only shows I really miss are the ones they cancelled anyway.

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 03:31:58 PM »

As soon as it went from Tech-TV to G4 it was gone...it has no purpose, no actual style, it is just a mishmash of random shows....I mean I like girls on trampolines but once you get past 18, the Man Show is pretty hard to watch....
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 03:55:03 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 13, 2006, 03:07:52 PM

Quote from: gellar on October 13, 2006, 02:49:29 PM

Is she the chick on AotS?  If so, I completely agree.  Uber-hotness.

Indeed.

gellar
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 05:01:14 PM »

Good riddance to G4. I was pretty sad about the whole destruction of TechTV for awhile. But then I found twit.tv and dl.tv and I'm back in geek heaven. Just like old times.

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 05:08:02 PM »

Quote from: Old Negus on October 13, 2006, 05:01:14 PM

Good riddance to G4. I was pretty sad about the whole destruction of TechTV for awhile. But then I found twit.tv and dl.tv and I'm back in geek heaven. Just like old times.

thumbsup thumbsup

Best video podcasts out there... well except for the Suicide Girls ones, but for geeks, yah.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 05:13:04 PM »

Bah, they will not be missed in my house. Bring back the old school ZDTV/Tech TV and then I will care again. This G4 is the pits.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 07:07:52 PM »

I started watching less of G4 when they merged with TechTV and stopped watching altogether when they started airing Fastlane.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 12:20:55 PM »

Oh yes, Olivia Munn! Pure hotness!
When I was watching her on attack of the show the first few times she was fully covered up, and then out of nowhere one episode she came in wearing skin tight jeans and a tank top that showed off her perfect abs.  drool

I tried googling for an image of her but all of them are showing up as so small they just don't do her justice.. these are the best ones I could find.. anyone else?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 12:23:41 PM by corruptrelic » Logged

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 03:13:39 PM »

Allow me... Not sure if Myspace allows hotlinking:

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 05:22:42 PM »

This is a bad site with very annoying ads (I want to break that mosquito's buzzer), but if you really want them: Olivia Munn pictures

As for G4TV, I'm not too sad to see it go.  Recently 90% of their air-time has been spent on crappy reruns of shows I don't want to see and I hardly ever watch their original programming, so no big loss other than Ms Munn. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 12:11:53 AM »

April 22nd G4 will be no more.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 02:12:23 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 12, 2013, 12:11:53 AM

April 22nd G4 will be no more.

where am i going to watch my Star Trek The Next Generation reruns now??????????????????????????????
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 04:44:32 AM »

Well that's just sad the way it petered out. I wonder if a tech/video game channel could survive if given the chance. You'd think that there are enough people out there who want the content given the size of the industry, but maybe tv isn't the right delivery method.

I remember when G4 first went on the air because I was between work and grad school and had come down with mono. I was crashed on the couch and was perfectly happy to watch odd skits done in Asheron's Call and video game cutscenes all day when I wasn't napping.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 01:43:17 PM »

The problem is that the dream of cable is all of these specialty channels catering to individual niches, but the dream of cable companies is to make money from those niches and expand into a real channel, and that, of course, kills them.

If there wasn't greed, the niche channels could just generate a respectable amount for a much longer time, but someone in a suit sees that respectable amount and wants it to be a not-respectable amount.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 09:17:14 PM »

Good Riddance. That channel was on a slow death watch. By the end, it wasn't offering anything worthwhile.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 05:26:28 AM »

so, apparently G4 got a stay of execution (did anyone even notice?) and won't be re-branded.

This isn't the first eleventh-hour shift for Esquire, which announced in mid-April that it would be pushing back its April 22 launch date. At that time, the execs noted that doing so would enable the network to bow with five original series, including holdover American Ninja Warrior, as opposed to just two offerings. Esquire's other launch series will be underground, after-hours cooking competition series Knife Fight, Anthony Bourdain's celebrity-fronted travel series The Getaway, Ryan Seacrest-produced lifestyle series How I Rock It, and American Field Trip, featuring blogger/photojournalist Matt Hranek. Joining the originals will be off-net repeats of on-brand shows including Psych, Burn Notice, Party Down, Parks and Recreation and Late Night With Jimmy Fallon. There are many more unscripted entries in development, too, as general manager Adam Stotsky and his team inch closer to their long-term plan to be 100 percent dependent on originals.

G4 is expected to remain as is for the foreseeable future, though it's highly unlikely the company will invest in more original programming. Stotsky will remain in charge of that network as well as Esquire, which will remain his primary focus with regard to time, energy and resources.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: