http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 02:52:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bye Bye CompUSA  (Read 1261 times)
DarkEL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2007, 03:51:14 AM »

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9831235-1.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Crave

The embattled electronics retail chain was dealt its final blow Friday when it was sold to Specialty Equity, an affiliate of private equity firm Gordon Brothers Group. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed, but the immediate result is that Specialty Equity will close all 103 CompUSA stores in the United States, according to a press release issued late Friday.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 04:48:01 AM »

Yeah its long since time.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 06:13:51 AM »

What's funny is their corporate HQ is here in Dallas. Directly across the Tollroad in front of them is a CompUSA that was open since before I was in high school. That was one of the first ones they closed earlier this year.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 06:53:59 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 08, 2007, 06:13:51 AM

What's funny is their corporate HQ is here in Dallas. Directly across the Tollroad in front of them is a CompUSA that was open since before I was in high school. That was one of the first ones they closed earlier this year.

*BZZZZTTT!!!* Care to try again?  icon_wink

The one that existed before we were in high school, and I do believe was the first CompUSA ever, was on Marsh Ln. just north of Belt Line. I have fond memories of driving up there just after getting my license and having to search through poorly organized shelves to see if any games caught my eye. I seem to recall the shelves being plain old bookcases filled with software, but that could be faulty wiring. Still miss that place.  icon_cry

Won't miss CompUSA as an entity, though. Haven't had much use for them since Best Buy opened up.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 07:33:49 AM »

Ding!

It used to be called Softwarehouse.  It was located in a tucked away strip mall on Marsh Ln just north of Beltline (I believe a jewelery place is there now).  I used to go there as well.  You'd have to find your product and then take it to the warehouse window where they'd retrieve it for you.  When it initially became CompUSA they started putting all of the product out on the shelves...although you're right that it wasn't much more organized at first.

But CompUSA was always the very *last* place I'd go to buy anything computer related.  And even then it was only when I needed a cable in a pinch or to peruse the discounted games.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 01:37:40 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on December 08, 2007, 07:33:49 AM

But CompUSA was always the very *last* place I'd go to buy anything computer related.  And even then it was only when I needed a cable in a pinch or to peruse the discounted games.

Agreed. No product, no organization, no employees.

About time CompUSSR closed for good. They just couldn't compete with the likes of Best Buy or Newegg.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 01:58:31 PM »

I have mixed feelings about Compusa...so...uh. Adios.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 02:49:25 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on December 08, 2007, 06:53:59 AM

The one that existed before we were in high school, and I do believe was the first CompUSA ever, was on Marsh Ln. just north of Belt Line. I have fond memories of driving up there just after getting my license and having to search through poorly organized shelves to see if any games caught my eye. I seem to recall the shelves being plain old bookcases filled with software, but that could be faulty wiring. Still miss that place.  icon_cry

Won't miss CompUSA as an entity, though. Haven't had much use for them since Best Buy opened up.

Key word has been bolded. slywink Note I did not use the word the. I recall us going up there in that Honda Accord of yours to look for Dark Forces, I believe, only to not be able to make it up certain hills on the Tollroad. As such, we looped around, went to my house where we picked up the Grey Ghost then headed back up and snagged it. Ran smoothly on your computer. Not so much on that 486 POS I had. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 04:45:52 PM »

That's too bad for a college friend of mine. Her dad was a VP in CompUSA. Not sure if he was still there since I haven't talked to her in ages.

But yeah, CompUSA pretty much sucked every time I walked into any of their stores.
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 05:37:49 PM »

A long time ago I used to love going there.  You could find great stuff in their dump bins, and they had really great sales.

Well, they got rid of the dump bins and the great sales... so they got rid of any reason for me to even go there.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 06:28:28 PM »

about the only reason I used to go to CompUSA was to visit some friends that worked there- they never had anything worth buying that I couldn't get cheaper elsewhere.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 08:03:50 PM »

Heh, I worked at that store for 2 1/2 years running the Software and Accessories departments. There were some good times, but I was quite happy when I finally left for good.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 01:27:59 AM »

Quote from: godhugh on December 08, 2007, 08:03:50 PM

Heh, I worked at that store for 2 1/2 years running the Software and Accessories departments. There were some good times, but I was quite happy when I finally left for good.
Don't you work on an oil derrick now? How'd you make the switch?

PSN ID: EduardoX
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 03:38:22 AM »

Been trying to get a hold of my buddy...He was already in a pretty bad situation and now that the store is shutting down, he is going to lose his job.  Sadly, he hasn't even picked up his phone in the last couple of days.  I am really worried about his wellbeing right now.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 06:13:09 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on December 09, 2007, 01:27:59 AM

Quote from: godhugh on December 08, 2007, 08:03:50 PM

Don't you work on an oil derrick now? How'd you make the switch?

icon_confused

Nope, I don't work on an oil derrick. I work in the IT industry.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 03:49:20 AM »

So does this mean that there is going to be some sweet clearance deals in the next few weeks? I feel bad because folks are going to lose their jobs. It's not their fault upper management sucked, but at least we as consumers can reap the benefits from the company's dying husk.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 04:00:18 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 08, 2007, 02:49:25 PM

Key word has been bolded. slywink Note I did not use the word the. I recall us going up there in that Honda Accord of yours to look for Dark Forces, I believe, only to not be able to make it up certain hills on the Tollroad. As such, we looped around, went to my house where we picked up the Grey Ghost then headed back up and snagged it. Ran smoothly on your computer. Not so much on that 486 POS I had. smile

Your memory is incorrect. The store that was there prior to us being at HP was Computer City, a different chain that was purchased by CompUSA several years back. Computer City stuck around until at least 1997, because I bought my copy of Mac OS 8 (for $88.88) at that store in July 1997.  When CompUSA bought Computer City, they rebranded all of the stores.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 04:01:47 AM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on December 10, 2007, 04:00:18 AM

Your memory is incorrect. The store that was there prior to us being at HP was Computer City, a different chain that was purchased by CompUSA several years back. Computer City stuck around until at least 1997, because I bought my copy of Mac OS 8 (for $88.88) at that store in July 1997.  When CompUSA bought Computer City, they rebranded all of the stores.

Didn't we have half this conversation at dinner tonight?  Tongue

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 04:11:18 AM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on December 10, 2007, 04:01:47 AM

Quote from: Fireball1244 on December 10, 2007, 04:00:18 AM

Didn't we have half this conversation at dinner tonight?  Tongue

Yes, we did. But I wanted to be right online, too. :-)

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 01:39:20 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 10, 2007, 03:49:20 AM

So does this mean that there is going to be some sweet clearance deals in the next few weeks? I feel bad because folks are going to lose their jobs. It's not their fault upper management sucked, but at least we as consumers can reap the benefits from the company's dying husk.

Doesn't matter to me if they do or not - they closed down all the ones anywhere nearby in Arizona months ago.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 04:50:10 PM »

Eh, good riddance to them. Just goes to show you that when you charge MORE for things that are easily purchased elsewhere, you will eventually go out of business.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 10:42:57 PM »

They used to use software as a loss leader, but since I only purchased software from them, seems that strategy didn't work too well  icon_twisted

They were essentially a company still stuck in the early 90s who never figured out how to make the transition to today's marketplace.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 02:56:51 AM »

Well, thanks to CompUSA I was able to find a copy of Rock Band this last weekend when it was sold out everywhere else.  Of course my guitar broke right away, but they can't be blamed for that.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: