http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:05:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a new Fridge  (Read 432 times)
Crusis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2013, 12:59:38 PM »

It's time to replace the old fridge. My wife and I have been looking at the french door with the freezer on the bottom style but there are so many! Anyone have nice things to say about LG, Samsung, or Frigidaire or any other brand for that matter. We are leaning toward Samsung due to reviews but does anyone have one and can offer thoughts?

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 01:07:54 PM »

just make sure to ask for a Proper demonstration

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 01:13:06 PM »

We've had good fortune with Kenmore products from sears.

The greatest feature on ours is the water dispenser is programmable- meaning that you can set it to the amount of water you want to dispense, hit the button and walk away. This is very handy and has become a staple feature for any fridge we buy in the future.

Many fridges now have 'space saver' ice makers in the freezer with the ice cubes stored on the door.  This has never bothered me, but I have a friend who hates the fact that when he opens the fridge, the ice cubes are the first things exposed to outside temps and can re-freeze into a giant mass...again not a problem as the ice dispenser itself does a good job of...dispensing.

You can always try to check consumer reports, web reviews etc.

Also, buy the biggest one that will fit in the space.  IF you're planning on expanding your family especially...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 03:07:31 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 13, 2013, 01:07:54 PM

hey, that was the first thing that popped into my mind.  we think alike!!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 13, 2013, 03:07:31 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 13, 2013, 01:07:54 PM

hey, that was the first thing that popped into my mind.  we think alike!!!!

I don't know if that's good or bad  icon_confused  icon_twisted  Tongue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 03:16:09 PM »

We have a Kenmore Elite side-by-side fridge and love it.  Tons of room and good lighting.  I would buy it again 10 x over.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 04:19:03 PM »

Since we are also looking for a fridge we settled on:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-RF4287-Refrigerator-Integrated-Stainless/dp/B003M5L284/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363191471&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+fridge

The first review really kind of says what I've found out about looking for appliances in general. We decided on that for the extra drawer fridge thinger.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on March 13, 2013, 04:19:03 PM

Since we are also looking for a fridge we settled on:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-RF4287-Refrigerator-Integrated-Stainless/dp/B003M5L284/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363191471&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+fridge

The first review really kind of says what I've found out about looking for appliances in general. We decided on that for the extra drawer fridge thinger.

We are looking at this model at Best Buy. This one is on sale at just about every retailer so it must be time to make room for a new model. I'm fine with saving $800 and getting the old model. Beats the hell out of our 12 year old Kenmore which was a fine fridge but it's racked up some repair bills in the last few years. The 'in cart' price is $2420 or something like that.

TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »

I bought a Samsung a few years ago now. French door with freezer on the bottom style. I opted not to get to in door ice/water dispenser as I tend to have a ton of things in the doors of my fridge and I hated to lose half that space.  The ice maker in the freezer works very well and I would recommend the Samsung based on my experience.  I agree with the "buy as large as you can fit" method. You can never have too much fridge space when you have kids.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 08:14:56 PM »

I have a GE Profile that came with the house.  It functions rather well.  It's a french door style with no bottom drawer, which is preferred for me since I have very little in the freezer.

My only complaint is the water filter seems to need to be changed a lot more often than I figure it should... but that may be a factor of how much water we consume more than anything else.  It still seems quite frequent though.
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 08:51:13 PM »

Luckily my kids are grown but I do want a hooooge fridge for those Costco trips.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 09:48:40 PM »

When we replaced our 20-year-old basic fridge with a new basic fridge a couple of years ago, we paid a little more to get an Energy Star model. It made a huge difference in the electric bill -- at least $20/month. Very pleased with the new one. I don't know what brand it is, but it's black.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 04:16:22 AM »

I think this is the LG I bought at Best Buy.  It was a scratch and dent(big dent) at the top of the door so it was $899.  Anyway someone made a mistake and they delivered a brand new one straight from the warehouse; was NCAA basketball championship weekend, we were the last delivery.  The guys took one look said "we aint taking that back"; i tipped them $40 for being fast and putting my old fridge in the garage as we were giving it away.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+23.6+Cu.+Ft.+Counter-Depth+Side-by-Side+Refrigerator+-+Stainless-Steel/4775088.p?id=1218525521302&skuId=4775088
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »

Quote from: drifter on March 14, 2013, 04:16:22 AM

I think this is the LG I bought at Best Buy.  It was a scratch and dent(big dent) at the top of the door so it was $899.  Anyway someone made a mistake and they delivered a brand new one straight from the warehouse; was NCAA basketball championship weekend, we were the last delivery.  The guys took one look said "we aint taking that back"; i tipped them $40 for being fast and putting my old fridge in the garage as we were giving it away.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+23.6+Cu.+Ft.+Counter-Depth+Side-by-Side+Refrigerator+-+Stainless-Steel/4775088.p?id=1218525521302&skuId=4775088

What a great deal! So what do you think of LG quality? We recently purchased an LG front load washer and it's been pretty fantastic. I've read that LG's quality isn't as good as Samsung but they are making gains. We also bought an LG TV late last year. Come to think of it my kids new Nexus 4 phone is made by LG. They are invading my home -  icon_lol.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 01:35:53 PM »

We're starting a complete remodel of our kitchen and a big-ass fridge was right up there on my wife's priority list. Ended up picking a KitchenAid French Door freezer on the bottom unit. Won't have it in the house for several months so we'll see!

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 06:19:37 PM »

I love LG products.  I compared LG front loading washer dryer to Kenmoore.  The hinges and handles on the LG were stainless steel while the kenmoore were plastic and already cracking from people looking at it in the show room floor.  The fridge is great, I have an LG 50" plasma and LG surround sound system in my media room.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: