http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 08:09:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a House. Stuck on the Final Decision. Advice?  (Read 1053 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2014, 06:55:28 AM »

I could really use all of your opinions on a home purchase that I’m about to make, as I’m currently gridlocked on the final choice. Hopefully a voice of reason here will sway me that 1% point in either direction.
I currently have two homes that just went under inspection. I'll post some pics later.

Home 1: $200,000 .25 acre lot.  2400 sq. ft, 5 bedrooms, “library”, 3 bathrooms, detached garage. Unfinished basement.

The first home is from 1860. All brick, albeit very worn. Brand new everything. A retired custom home builder purchased this dilapidated property for $30,000 and gutted it down to the studs. He added $100,000 in hard wood (floor, chair rails, crown molding), premium appliances, all brand new heating/cooling. Brand new roof. On the interior, the home is absolutely breathtaking. He did almost all of the work himself over an 18 month period, and invested $160,000 of materials into the home. (He, literally, has every receipt.) The home inspector stated that the interior workmanship and quality of the products used is some of the finest he has seen in the 10 years he has been inspecting homes. Unfortunately for him, he overimproved the inside, and is now forced to take a loss on the home. Thus he stopped adding any landscaping.

The yard is very small and it is in poor condition. The home is also about 100 feet from a train. (7 times per day) Finally, the neighborhood is referred to as a “tear-down” area. This means the 4 homes on my block are all fully restored, but they are surrounded by homes that are only a few notches up from being considered shacks. The brand new police station is two blocks away, so crime is not a concern but the community is very safe anyway. For a quick comparison, the homes on my block would average $205,000 in value. The surrounding 8 blocks average $45,000. The town as a whole is shifting slightly, from solid middle class to lower middle class. The surrounding towns are upper middle class.

Home 2: $205,000. .49 acre lot. 2500 sq ft.  4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, attached garage, partially finished basement.

The second home was built in 1998. It is built from cedar. The owner has kept it in immaculate condition.  The interior is part hard wood and part carpet. Compared to the first home, the entire interior is less premium, but well maintained. Appliances, heating and cooling are all older units (5+ years). Kitchen cabinets and space are smaller, master bedroom is smaller, etc. But the large yard and landscaping are outstanding, and the house sits at the end of a dead end street, with a massive farmer’s field bordering the back yard. The town is solidly middle class to upper middle class. The surrounding towns are upper middle class.

Basically, I’m stuck between choosing a home that is absolutely gorgeous on the interior, all brick, new everything, but is stuck in a horrible location and coupled with a small yard and unimpressive overall exterior. Versus a home that is in a better community with more land, better landscaping, better looking exterior, but lacks all of the premium interior construction of the 1st home.

Taxes and mortgage would be nearly identical.

Any advice?

Bashtor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 07:58:25 AM »

I move more than many, so take that into account with my opinion.  I am not a real estate professional in any way, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

House 1:  I always have to consider resale in a home when I look at them.  If you think you will ever have to sell the house or are concerned about value, I suggest shying away from the first home.  As nice as it may be, I don't see the value of the home going up without major changes to the surrounding community.  From the way you are describing it, I see value going down.  It doesn't matter how nice a house it is if no one will want to live in the neighborhood or around the eyesores that are near it.  In addition, dealing with a train 7 times a day next to my house would not be pleasant, but that might not bother you. 

House 2: This would be my choice.  It is a better neighborhood with more potential for resale.  The bigger yard and field behind is a pretty big plus to me, as that’s something you can’t improve in the other home (from the way I read it). You can put new appliances and flooring down to make a nicer house in this one.  It has more square footage, so some renovations could make it even better.  I know it costs money, but I'm assuming this is a long term investment for you and not a short term residence.

Much of my opinions are going off of resale.  I've been in the dilemma before and had to choose the safer resale.  If you know you will never move again (I envy you), then you can go with the house you love but I would be very careful with the first one.

Hope this helps in some way.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 11:14:39 AM »

Home 1

Master bedroom

Home 2

Master bedroom
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:27:07 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:49:06 PM »

You can't change your neighbourhood and thus should take the house with the better of the two. You can improve the interior as time comes.
Easy decision.

Case closed.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »

Get #2

I like the house itself on #1 better, but location and neighborhood is everything. I also lived a year in an apartment overlooking the tracks to Boston's Green Line above ground train, so the train thing ruled out #1 instantly for me.

This would be a tougher decision if the house on #2 was far below #1, but house #2 looks pretty fantastic too.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »

Ya #2 for sure. 

If it the only issue for #1 was the yard, I'd get that, but adding that with the possibility of taking a loss in value, not a good investment.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 03:23:40 PM »

I'm surprised that so many people,are picking house two, although it does fall under the old mantra of "location, location, location". my one added concern with house number ONE is that the appraisal was supposed to take 48-72 hours to get a response back. It has now been 12 days. Our mortgage broker said the appraiser is having a very difficult time coming up with a number.

I'm guessing that he is looking at the amount the builder put into the home (all the receipts), but can't properly marry that to the location, where it is about $80,000 above the other homes in the immediate area.

one other fact :

House 1 selling price: $200,000.
town's average home price (population 9800 people) $135,000

House 2 selling price: $205,000
Town's average home price (population 2300 people) $212,000

I think part of the problem is I'm emotionally invested in house one because I love the history behind it and the fact that one main rebuilt it as a labor of love

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 03:26:47 PM »

You are going to want to try riding both with a good harness, but only after spending time getting to know them and get a feel for their personality.  Try brushing them with their favorite brush and feeding them a sugar cube or carrot.  Observe them in their stall and see how they interact with others.  Of course, you want to get a vet to check on them and let you know if there any issues you should be aware of. 

oh, wait, you said house.  my bad.

Roman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 04:03:57 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on August 08, 2014, 03:23:40 PM

I'm surprised that so many people,are picking house two, although it does fall under the old mantra of "location, location, location". my one added concern with house number ONE is that the appraisal was supposed to take 48-72 hours to get a response back. It has now been 12 days. Our mortgage broker said the appraiser is having a very difficult time coming up with a number.

I'm guessing that he is looking at the amount the builder put into the home (all the receipts), but can't properly marry that to the location, where it is about $80,000 above the other homes in the immediate area.

one other fact :

House 1 selling price: $200,000.
town's average home price (population 9800 people) $135,000

House 2 selling price: $205,000
Town's average home price (population 2300 people) $212,000

I think part of the problem is I'm emotionally invested in house one because I love the history behind it and the fact that one main rebuilt it as a labor of love

Two things.

1. Again - you can't ever change the neighbourhood and the train will also always be there and you will never get used to the 'white noise' people will tell you it ends up being. You will always love the home but hate, hate, hate the area where it is located plain and simple.

2. Another red flag for me is the capital already invested in it - My gut instinct is that he over-improved the home for the area and you will have a tough time ever getting the investment back out SHOULD you ever decide to sell in the future.

While the other home lacks the 'character' that you love in home #1 you will have a nice home with peace and quiet to enjoy an adult beverage while planning how to mould your new home into what you would like and not worry about a train every 3hrs or so. Your planning also has room for additional equity improvements given your figures.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 04:24:23 PM »

#2 is the obvious choice.

But whether you buy 1 or 2 be sure to get a 15 year fixed rate mortgage.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »

I'd agree with everyone else, sounds like #2 is the clear choice.  100 feet away from a train track would be enough to scare me away even if it were a mansion. 

As others have said, the internals can always be upgraded/changed/adapted, but you can't change the physical location.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 04:35:51 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on August 08, 2014, 03:23:40 PM

If you love house 1 so much that our recommendations of house 2 don't feel right, there's a chance you do love house 1 enough to overlook its downsides.  You're the only one who can know for sure.  Really think long and hard before you go with it, though.  It's super easy to get emotionally attached to a house and not see clearly.

I had some similar struggles when I got my own house last year. There were some I came across that were "just perfect, if only ____ was different," but as much as we wanted them, the ____ really wasn't something we could be happy with in the long run.

One more thought for you, are you sure you don't want to go with house #3, which you have yet to see?  Can you wait a bit longer to find a structure you love as much as #1 placed on a location you like as much as #2?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 05:16:23 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on August 08, 2014, 04:32:14 PM

I'd agree with everyone else, sounds like #2 is the clear choice.  100 feet away from a train track would be enough to scare me away even if it were a mansion. 

As others have said, the internals can always be upgraded/changed/adapted, but you can't change the physical location.
Trust me, stay away from any house near the tracks.  The constant vibration from the trains is something you should avoid. 

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 05:35:01 PM »

1. Again - you can't ever change the neighbourhood and the train will also always be there and you will never get used to the 'white noise' people will tell you it ends up being. You will always love the home but hate, hate, hate the area where it is located plain and simple

It's interesting that you bring this up, because people keep telling me that "you get used to the train, and soon you don't even notice it..."  except for one of my friends, who said he would absolutely, positively never live by a train again.

The home is brick with triple layered glass, so the train sound was definitely muted when I was in the home as one passed by. it could absolutely be heard at a level that was noticeable and distracting.

but every one keeps saying give it a few weeks, and it's just background noise.
Bashtor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 06:12:04 PM »

After seeing the pictures, I would go with number 2 even more so.  It seems like a really nice home that has easy improvement potential.  Take out the carpet and replace it with hardwood, change some light fixtures and you would probably love it just as much if not more than the other house.  The other house will never have a half acre and will always have the train (it would never become "white noise" for me, but that's me). 

You hit it on the head with the appraisor.  He probably can't make the numbers match the asking price, even with the upgrades, due to the location. 

House one looks nice and if you are sold on it, you have to live with it not anyone here.  Go with what you love, but just be sure to think it through completely and not go off of the fact that you love the home alone. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 06:17:18 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on August 08, 2014, 05:35:01 PM

but every one keeps saying give it a few weeks, and it's just background noise.

My year next to the Green Line was hell (it came by more than 7 times a day.)  We did get used to it some, but was still very disruptive and annoying.  The worst part wasn't even the loud clackety clack, but the anticipation of the loud clackety clack.  Our brains started anticipating when it was time for another train, and it was like waiting for the other shoe to drop.  An ungodly loud shoe that shakes the building.

But on the other side, one time we visited friends that live in a lovely house in Winthrop, a lovely seaside community that also happens to be about 100 feet  below the approach path for Boston's international airport.  Idyllic peaceful beachside community for a few minutesRAOOOARGH GIANT AIRPLANE OMGZ.  We wanted to get the hell out of there after the first plane but everyone who lived there swears they no longer noticed the planes at all.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 06:44:12 PM »

I can see why you like the first house, the second one looks like any of a thousand other houses you can buy.  Having said that I think the second is a better choice in the long run unless that train track gets abandoned in the near future.  Also what about heating and cooling costs?  That large brick structure might cost a fair penny to keep comfortable.  If you have kids then the quality of the respective school districts could be a factor.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »

House #1 is neat, but as everyone else is saying, location is everything.  I'm really not that crazy about my house itself, but I never want to move simply because I absolutely love my neighborhood.  Makes all the difference in the world.

#2 seems like a no-brainer to me.

Out of curiosity, whereabouts do you live?  Those seem like crazy low prices for homes of that size/quality. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:38:22 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 07:52:50 PM »

For a financial investment, House #1 is not a good one. A lack of comps means the price they have right now is just a guess and subject to all kinds of swings. Of course it could go in your favor, but it's not a good investment relative to House #2. $80K over comps is insane, especially given that the house itself is $200K. It's comically risky.

HOWEVER, homes are not always strictly financial investments. If you're comfortable with the price and can afford it for the foreseeable future and you don't intend on moving... buy the house that you want to live in, so long as you're happy with the above risks.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 10:50:41 PM »

#2 looks generic new-suburban-y. ugly boxy rooms. the walls look like they have that hollow pasteboard feel to them.

as for #1, i am a fan of over-engineering in general, so i hear what you say about the 'labor of love' that went into it.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 02:57:02 PM »

Based on what you are saying about home #1 it may not even appraise for the amount they may be asking so you wont get a home loan for it.  With everything that happened in the home markets appraisals can be tough.

If you really like the first and are MEH on the second.  You may want to look some more, you are going to be there for a while and may not want to be in a home you regret.

While people always say "I can make improvements here" be honest with yourself.  Are you the kind of person that will take on a home improvement project and get it done?  Have you ever done that before? it can be a stressful gig.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 03:18:43 PM »

Quote from: drifter on August 11, 2014, 02:57:02 PM

If you really like the first and are MEH on the second.  You may want to look some more, you are going to be there for a while and may not want to be in a home you regret.

Great advice.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 03:51:17 PM »

Keeping looking was going to be my advice as well. And where do you live that $200K buys those kind of houses? I like number one better myself, for the reasons Hitbyambulance states.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:53:12 PM by Alefroth » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 03:58:03 PM »

I find it interesting that the second house looks cookie-cutter to some of you.  I don't think I've ever seen a house in California that looks like that, and there's definitely nothing like that in New Mexico.  While I do like house #1 better, I like house #2's stacked porch & balcony, and the sideways garage is neat.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 04:31:55 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 11, 2014, 03:58:03 PM

I find it interesting that the second house looks cookie-cutter to some of you.  I don't think I've ever seen a house in California that looks like that, and there's definitely nothing like that in New Mexico.  While I do like house #1 better, I like house #2's stacked porch & balcony, and the sideways garage is neat.

Agreed.  To me, there's nothing "cookie-cutter" about either of those houses.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 06:05:21 PM »

Yeah I just checked out the photos, I would have picked House #2 based on those regardless, and it definitely doesn't look "cookie cutter" to me especially at the price point.  But anyway, I went back and re-read the original post description and a few other things really reminded me why my gut reaction went to #2 immediately.  First off, this statement:

Finally, the neighborhood is referred to as a “tear-down” area. This means the 4 homes on my block are all fully restored, but they are surrounded by homes that are only a few notches up from being considered shacks.

Then add to that the lot is twice as big and the house has more square footage plus a more-finished basement, and it seems like a pretty clear choice.  Pictures look really nice, and this is coming from someone who watches way too much HGTV lol.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 04:03:54 PM »

Home 1 looks like it’s probably haunted and ghost are scary, therefore you should choose house 2.  icon_smile
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »

one thing about home 1. If it doesn't appraise as high as the seller wants, you may be able to talk them down.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 08:05:02 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 11, 2014, 04:31:55 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on August 11, 2014, 03:58:03 PM

I find it interesting that the second house looks cookie-cutter to some of you.  I don't think I've ever seen a house in California that looks like that, and there's definitely nothing like that in New Mexico.  While I do like house #1 better, I like house #2's stacked porch & balcony, and the sideways garage is neat.

Agreed.  To me, there's nothing "cookie-cutter" about either of those houses.

i'm referring to the interior, not the exterior... tho i'm not a fan of that either (second-story balcony aside).
Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 11:24:04 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on August 12, 2014, 04:03:54 PM

Home 1 looks like it’s probably haunted and ghost are scary, therefore you should choose house 2.  icon_smile

This was my first thought.

A house THAT old, with an unfinished basement?  You better believe there are ghosts of Dead Indians down there...
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 11:51:43 PM »

Any differences in schools between them? This is probably also one of the biggest issues for resale.

Any indications more house flippers will keep moving into that neighborhood?

Side note, where do you live? I want those prices for those houses... damn... probably at least $600k+ in DC suburbs.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 02:17:48 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on August 13, 2014, 11:51:43 PM

Side note, where do you live? I want those prices for those houses... damn... probably at least $600k+ in DC suburbs.

Yeah, I was going to say - that price/sqft makes me want to cry.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2014, 03:10:21 AM »

In San Antonio Texas 3268 sq feet for 214,000 in a community that has 3 pools and an elementary school inside it.  That's $65/ sq foot for a brand new home.  4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, garage, media room (pre-wired) and a balcony.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2014, 07:25:19 PM »

Quote from: drifter on August 17, 2014, 03:10:21 AM

In San Antonio Texas 3268 sq feet for 214,000 in a community that has 3 pools and an elementary school inside it.  That's $65/ sq foot for a brand new home.  4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, garage, media room (pre-wired) and a balcony.

This is why I need to retire out of the area...
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 04:38:11 PM »

I don't have any advice, I just want to say how envious I am that you can buy a home like that for $200k. I have an apartment in Silicon Valley (Sunnyvale) and as someone who is hoping to buy in the next 2-3 years (that's when my wife and I plan to start contributing to the overpopulation of the planet), it's looking hopeless unless I am willing to put up with a crazy commute, buy something in a shitty neighborhood, or accept charity from family. And I'm not OK with any of those options.

So congrats!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2014, 04:40:25 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on August 17, 2014, 07:25:19 PM

This is why I need to retire out of the area...

Texas is #4 on the lowest cost of living, Tennessee takes the top spot.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2014, 05:30:05 PM »

well?

What house did you end up with?

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 08:04:47 PM »

Quote from: Roman on September 17, 2014, 05:30:05 PM

well?

What house did you end up with?

Well, as well?
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2014, 08:16:34 PM »

maybe he can't hear our posts from all the train noise................

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 10:30:04 PM »

Quote from: Roman on September 18, 2014, 08:16:34 PM

maybe he can't hear our posts from all the train noise................

Lol.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: