http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 05:39:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 8... sorta  (Read 1347 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2006, 01:35:27 PM »

No not a new TV season.  Apparently Joss Whedon is penning a series for Dark Horse comics that will continue the storyline after the final televised season.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon is writing a new six-issue Buffy mini-series for Dark Horse Comics.  The first volume is due out in October.   A Dark Horse spokesperson has confirmed to ICv2 that the new series chronicles events that happened to Buffy and her friends after the conclusion of their televised adventures and will function as a "Season 8" to the highly popular cult hit TV series that ran for seven seasons (see "Buffy Returns").

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/8719.html

This is good news... kinda/sorta.  I know I'm not the only Buffy fan around here.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 02:44:46 PM »

Good news.  I really like Whedon's work on X-Men but didn't think as much for his *other* Buffy spin off comic "Fray".  Plus, I hope he's actually writing it vice the "story by" credit he got on Serenity.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 02:52:59 PM »

How about a season six for Angel? Because that's what fans are really wanting. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 03:03:43 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
How about a season six for Angel? Because that's what fans are really wanting. biggrin

I'm working my way through Season Two of Angel for the first time.  We just finished Disc 4 and
Spoiler for Hiden:
he just slept with Darla and it looks like he's gone evil *again*.
 So far I liked Season One a lot better.  Season Two seems to have done away with the comraderie and banter between the team.  It actually seems to have done away with the team itself.  Boreanaz is a fine actor but the character is very somber by nature which makes for some pretty grim viewing when it's just all Angel all the time.  While Darla is smoking hot I really miss Doyle and Wesley and the silly back-and-forth between the cast.

I hope this doesn't carry through for the next three seasons or I'll have to start on Prozac.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 03:52:55 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
So far I liked Season One a lot better.  Season Two seems to have done away with the comraderie and banter between the team.  It actually seems to have done away with the team itself.  Boreanaz is a fine actor but the character is very somber by nature which makes for some pretty grim viewing when it's just all Angel all the time.  While Darla is smoking hot I really miss Doyle and Wesley and the silly back-and-forth between the cast.

Man, I thought Angel S1 was by far  the weakest of the series, though still very enjoyable.  Loved S2 and beyond.  Starting with S3, it becomes much more of an ensemble than even Buffy and while there is still plenty of silly back and forth, the character stakes are raised in such a way that it does become rather dark tonally.  But never morbidly so like Buffy Season Six.  What I love about the Angel ensemble is that it grows very organically. Characters start to pop up in regular guest appearances and ultimately end of being full fledged regulars.  

In the mean time, based on your comments, I think you might really enjoy the radical change of pace the three episode Season 2 finale arc takes.  I loved it but it's probably one of the most controversial parts of the series.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 04:25:12 PM »

Angel really only gets better and better, and ends while it's peaking, unlike Buffy.  

I'm a Buffy fan from the first day it aired and that ending left a bitter taste, I mean was THAT the best they could come up with?!?  So even though I'm not into the comic book thing, I might pick those up just to get the REAL ending.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 04:38:24 PM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
I'm a Buffy fan from the first day it aired and that ending left a bitter taste, I mean was THAT the best they could come up with?!?  So even though I'm not into the comic book thing, I might pick those up just to get the REAL ending.

Count me among the few who thought that Buffy S7 was great, including the final episode.  I do agree with most regarding S6 though- didn't care much for it outside of a few standout episodes.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 04:44:58 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
In the mean time, based on your comments, I think you might really enjoy the radical change of pace the three episode Season 2 finale arc takes.  I loved it but it's probably one of the most controversial parts of the series.

I wouldn't say it was controversial but it's definitely different than the rest of Season 2. Season 2 goes very, almost brutally, dark but then wraps up with three engaging, hilarious, and romantic episodes and ends with a great single line. smile

"I feel a song coming on." "I thought you might."

Season 3 though will absolutely kick your ass with sheer greatness because that's when they really start up the trend of ending every episode with a mind-blowing cliffhanger. It also introduces some serious heavy-hitting villains that are extremely funny but never let you forget how powerful and menacing they are.

All hail Skip. biggrin

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 04:47:05 PM »

Yeah Season 6 was a downer.  I didn't like the Big Bad(dies) at all and most of the episodes were pretty forgettable except for the musical of course.  I didn't mind Season 7 much but I hated what they did to Anya and Xander.

Glad to hear Angel stays solid throughout.  I think the thing I liked about Buffy and Season One of Angel was the good mix of humor and darkness.  I'm missing the humor in Season Two of Angel.  But I'll stick with it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 04:59:33 PM »

I didn't mind Season 7 much but I hated what they did to Anya and Xander.

I hate, hate, *hated* what they did to Xander in S6 so I thought that was one of the biggest improvements in S7.  He actually had a steady job, was good at what he did, and was able to make an honest contribution to the group.  

Ah, Xander, the focal point of my single favorite episode of Buffy ever (though not necessarilly the best)- "The Zeppo".
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 05:33:42 PM »

My problem with Buffy was only limited to the last episode.  I didn't particularly like the Riley season, but I still watched and enjoyed the show.  But that was a lame, imo, way to go out after all those years and storylines.  There had to be a better finale lurking in Whedon's mind, there was too much talent behind the show to settle for that ending.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 05:58:08 PM »

I didn't mind Season 7 much but I hated what they did to Anya and Xander.

I hate, hate, *hated* what they did to Xander in S6 so I thought that was one of the biggest improvements in S7.  He actually had a steady job, was good at what he did, and was able to make an honest contribution to the group.  

Ah, Xander, the focal point of my single favorite episode of Buffy ever (though not necessarilly the best)- "The Zeppo".

I was actually thinking of
Spoiler for Hiden:
Xander getting his eye getting gouged out.  That and killing off Anya in the last episode and Xander's flip "That's my girl" reaction to it.

But The Zeppo was pretty cool.

I really would have liked to have them end it after Season Five and maybe done some episodes as one-offs or a miniseries afterward.  Glory was a great baddie and I thought what happened to Buffy would have made a nice ending - "She saved the world a lot."
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 06:04:12 PM »

I'm glad that stories can continue on in other mediums as long as more stories are able to be told.  The Whedonverse has been pretty lucky with comics in that regard.

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
How about a season six for Angel? Because that's what fans are really wanting.

There was a couple recent comic series that continues after the Angel finale.   The latest one has Angel returning to L.A. that supposedly answers some questions, but I missed it  frown so I'll have to get it in trade.

Count me among the few who thought that Buffy S7 was great, including the final episode. I do agree with most regarding S6 though- didn't care much for it outside of a few standout episodes.

I actually liked S6 better than S7.  I think the two things that brought S7 down for me were
Spoiler for Hiden:
1) the potential Slayers.  Maybe it was their bad acting, I don't know.  I just found the storyline had a bland feeling to it.  2) The Buffy/Spike - Willow/Kennedy relationships felt forced.  Possibly just the chemistry between the two actors, but every scene between those two made me roll my eyes.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 06:15:15 PM »

I was actually thinking of
Spoiler for Hiden:
Xander getting his eye getting gouged out.  That and killing off Anya in the last episode and Xander's flip "That's my girl" reaction to it.

I was fine with both of those:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I" liked" Xander losing his eye because it was a nice way to up the stakes without killing him off.

Re: Anya.  I felt the same way about this that I did with the similar event in "Serenity"- I understand what Whedon was going for and why he did it and, for me, it had the desired effect. I loved Anya as a character but the moment wouldn't work for me if I didn't.  And I found the idea of Anya being the one to die pretty affecting because she had just given up immortality and didn't even really have a happy ending either so it made her character arc seem kind of "incomplete" in a good way.  The cliche would have been to have Giles be the one to die since he had sort of fulfilled his purpose.  I kind of agree about the "that's my girl line" but I chalk that up to trying to do so much in an hour- I believe that they originall planned a two hour finale but it didn't work out for some reason.

Quote from: "Nth Power"
I actually liked S6 better than S7. I think the two things that brought S7 down for me were

Agreed on both and they were my chief complaints about S7.  However, I liked and loved almost all of the rest of the season and my list of complaints with S6 was much longer.  And I loved DB Woodside's character in S7 so much that it actually made me retroactively like his character on 24.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 06:40:44 PM »

I will pick up the Dark Horse comics and I hope he puts a better spin on the Buffy series

S6 and S7 aren't my favorite Buffy season.  With Season 4 being my all time favorite.  Anyway, I found the series finale to be rather poor

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just didn't like the way JW cheapened the Slayer powers.  While he has multiple Slayers I just thought the whole "Potentials" things was stupid.  

Also, I hated what they did with Spike

Oh and Drusilla has to be the BEST Buffyverse villian

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 07:21:24 PM »

since we're all pretty much spoiling everything for everyone who has never seen the show (and I pity thee) I may as well throw in some other comments re: Buffy:

Spoiler for Hiden:
My issues with the final season were primarily that there was far too much talk and jack crap worth of action. Buffy spends so much time cheerleading the potentials and then barely takes out the Uber-Vamp, yet all of the Slayers are able to smite Uber-Vamps by the bushel at the end. This is a major cop-out because Buffy, a full Slayer with tons of experience, barely survived just one. A team of Full Slayers with no experience suddenly takes out the armies of Mordor, ahem, Hell with no major deaths or wounds at all?!?!

Also, Nathan Fillion's anti-Slayer character was awesome... for the 3.1 episodes he was on. The idea of a male Slayer that is essentially the anti-Slayer borders on mind-blowing if you've been a fan from the beginning, yet despite the massive damage he causes, he's sort of brushed off by the end. Had he been the Big Bad throughout the season with the big reveal of The First towards the end it would have been much more powerful. Instead they went the other way and revealed the Big Bad right off the bat, then his Minion 3/4 of the way through.

Also, Angel actually gets better as the show progresses. Season 4 is great but Season 5 is spectacular. "The Girl In Question" is one of the funniest hours of television I've seen, but it relys on your devotion to the entire run of both series to really drive home the funny.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 06:50:54 PM »

Season 4, the non-stop continuing arc roller-coaster, was my favorite season of Angel. I appreciated season 5, but a lot of it was somehow... bittersweet? It's a shame they all got rushed at the end. I think the series ended perfectly, however.

Buffy on UPN was certainly different. Season 6 might as well have been titled Buffy the Happiness Slayer. Season 7 started out so well, but then just floundered after the mid-season three parter, listlessly bounding about for something to do until the last five episodes, which were good, but could have been great if the rest of the season hadn't set up so many cool little things that they couldn't all be paid off in the end.

Though I liked that they had Xander and Andrew end up together. That was clearly the whole point of the season.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 02:30:46 PM »

arise!

anyone else reading this series?  season 8 is coming to an end this fall with issue 40, and it's been an interesting ride.  they've pulled out a lot of the big guns (easy to do since it's a comic) but the story has taken a WTF? turn the last few issues.

the supposed big bad turns out to be

Spoiler for Hiden:
Angel.  not Angelus, just regular Angel, who did all of this to prepare Buffy for something.

I may have to go back and re-read the series to see if I missed anything, but I did not see that coming.  maybe it was more due to the fact that

Spoiler for Hiden:
IDW has been publishing Angel comics so I figured Dark Horse wouldn't have rights to use him.

that I may have ignored any clues hinting at it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 04:21:28 PM »

I canceled my sub to all my comics including Buffy and Angel as a sacrifice to the new car. The Buffy comic had nothing on the show from a dialogue standpoint sadly, same goes for Angel. I don't think they ever took advantage of the medium like they could have either. When Angel was in Hell, they obviously did some things that would be expensive for TV, but after that it was all downhill and mostly lame to me.

I think the older Buffy comics were better, sadly.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 05:40:46 PM »

I'm reading it, it was very engaging at first when Joss was writing it, but then it seemed like they went through a very big lull where it just dragged and ignored the main plotline.  Now that they are getting back to the main story it's really gone kind of wonky.  I haven't read this month's issue completely yet, so I'm, not looking at the spoilers.  I can't say I'd recommend thisto anyone....yet, going to see how they finish it out first.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 07:08:37 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 10, 2010, 05:40:46 PM

I'm reading it, it was very engaging at first when Joss was writing it, but then it seemed like they went through a very big lull where it just dragged and ignored the main plotline. 

yeah, they needed to place the one off's a bit better.

I was just looking at the Dark Horse website and it looks like there's going to be a break coming up, kinda annoying that there's no Buffy schedule for release until the fall.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 03:10:59 AM »

well, just finished reading the final story arc, and damn, Joss went off the deep end for the last 6 or 7 issues.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Buffy and Angel flying around like Superman- ugh.

they have sex and create an new world while doing so....   oooookkkkkkkaaaaaayyyyyyy.......

Spike shows up.  cool!  wait, in a spaceship?  hunh?  piloted by space bugs?  WTF?

RIP Rupert  crybaby

no magic left in the world? damn, poor Willow.

the last issue sets up season 9, and in the afterword they say it should be more grounded than 8.  I think they just let the idea that they could pull off whatever they wanted with the new format that they tried to throw in everything and tie everything together that happened before.

Either that or someone got into George Lucas's special stash.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: