http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 03:09:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BSG - Should I keep watching?  (Read 1198 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2007, 06:56:42 PM »

I'm running out of space on my DVR and I have around ten or so episodes of BSG piled up that I haven't watched. The show, which I've always had something of a love/hate relationship with, pretty much jumped the shark for me when I watched the episodes where Xena is torturing Baltar and then decides to fall in love with him. It is one of the dumbest moments in TV history, as far as I'm concerned. I haven't really felt the desire to watch the show since.

Does the show get any better? Will I be missing anything really good if I dump them? I like the setup of the series enough, it's just that half the time I feel the writers are  flipping the bird at the viewers by throwing in some really juvenile stuff.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 07:07:18 PM »

lol, wait until the uproar over the season finale comes out.

Its out now on bittorrent, and if you thought a show jumped the shark in spectacular fashion before, oh boy.

I think BSG's crew think the best way to make a show is have a good starting 3-4 episodes, then make 10+ of fluff bullshit, then make the finale just a complete clusterspank of plotline chaos and red herrings...just so the viewers are so pissed/annoying/confused, they have to watch the beginning of the next season.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 07:19:36 PM »

I think BSG's crew think the best way to make a show is have a good starting 3-4 episodes, then make 10+ of fluff bullshit, then make the finale just a complete clusterspank of plotline chaos and red herrings...

Yeah, the pacing of episodes is probably the biggest issue I have with the show. Look at Season 2. They spend seven episodes resolving the frst season cliffhanger (the whole Kobol planet stuff), then they have a bunch of questionable mid-season shows, then by the end of the season they skip ahead a year with no warning. I don't see why they couldn't have dropped a few of those shows, found New Caprica toward the end of the season and then spend a few episodes showing the Colonials setting up lives on the planet before the Cylons find them.

They're trying way too hard to be different.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 07:20:30 PM »

I'm beginning to think you should quit while you're ahead myself, and I'm a pretty big BSG supporter.

At the risk of pissing off jblank - I just can't believe how a show can go from so unbelievably great to mediocre in such a short period of time.  If I didn't drool so lamely over Grace Park, I probably would be done with it.  But alas, I am a drooling fool.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 07:24:29 PM »

Actually, I've all but stopped watching BSG.  Shame as the show had "it" for awhile there.  Somewhere they totally lost it. 

Btw, Dresden has been a nice find.  Enjoying that show quite abit

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 07:26:55 PM »

Are there any hot asians in dresden, Soulchilde?

Also... was Crossroads Part I on last night?  I missed it if it was.  When/where does it re-air during the week again?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:32:38 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 07:43:11 PM »

I've been watching the Dresden Files and enjoy it. It's not a great show by any means, but the guys who play Bob and Harry do a good job. LD, I believe there was an episode a few weeks ago that featured a hot Asian chick running an insurance scam.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 08:03:57 PM »

Yes, keep watching BSG.  In my humble opinion, of course.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 08:42:57 PM »

Now I'm happy to not watch the show. Oh, how it would have saved me many moons of pain had I not watched Alias. Admittedly, the first two seasons kicked major ass but from there it took such a sharp nosedive into suck that I actually felt pissed off for watching the past two years. It takes a lot to make me that angry.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 09:03:31 PM »

Dresden took a serious turn for the worse due to a poorly written epside, then rebounded a lot with an episode that shows that some of the writers were actually reading Jim Butcher's books.

Now, it's been bouncing between mediocre and okay.

I don't like how every episode of Woman of the Week for Dresden, it's getting pretty old despite how much eye candy is being shown.  It's like they're not sure if they want to be a well written supernatural mystery detective show, or yet another mediocre scifi/fantasy excuse to show up women in tight outfits.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:10:24 PM by Turtle » Logged
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 09:34:59 PM »

I'm getting so tired of Days of our Battlestar. I'd like a space fight to happen at some point. Can only take so many random camera shots of space and then just go back inside. For being a show set in space, I'm seeing a lack of fucking space, it's like just random moments in the show "Look we're still in space!" and back inside to whoever is now hating who of the week.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:45:21 PM by SkyLander » Logged

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 10:12:21 PM »

Yeah, that's the main reason BSG didnt' really grab me after the first season or so.  I was really expecting more desparate space battles, and a whole hell of a lot less 'guess who the cylon is now!' crap.

Days of our Battlestar...  not a bad description.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 10:41:03 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 19, 2007, 07:20:30 PM

I'm beginning to think you should quit while you're ahead myself, and I'm a pretty big BSG supporter.

Agreed, this series has gotten gay beyond belief.

BTW when does the season finale air?  I am thinking of cutting my losses and bailing after this season.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 10:47:52 PM »

Next week is the finale....it *looks* to be good.

I say keep watching until next sesason begins-- if they can't take it beyond mediocre after the hiatus, then I fear it is doomed--

Boy it was honestly one of the BEST shows on, and now it is floundering, much like Lost...
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 11:38:58 PM »

If they stuck with "The frakking Cylons could be on us the next day" and were fighting them off all the time it would of been great but they got into the whole human cylon prophecy and intership relations. I mean yeah those can be interesting, but don't make the entire show about that. I'm sure everyone was interested with the mini series and the 1st season because of the fighting and the suspense. Now they are saying "Oh who are the 5 cylons?" and I'm sure is just going "Why do I care who the 5 cylons are?"

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 11:57:36 PM »

Ever since they left New Caprica it's gone downhill.  The last few weeks have been pretty boring and I don't feel a whole lot of motivation to watch it. 

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 12:13:43 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 19, 2007, 07:20:30 PM

At the risk of pissing off jblank - I just can't believe how a show can go from so unbelievably great to mediocre in such a short period of time.  If I didn't drool so lamely over Grace Park, I probably would be done with it.  But alas, I am a drooling fool.

Why would that piss me off? I've been a huge critic of this season, which they should be ashamed of. It is definitely mediocre now.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 12:15:16 AM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 01:44:49 AM »

We have the entire second half of season 3 DVRd.  We'd been putting off watching it because they don't take up much room, and we were watching other things.  We finally sat down to watch it tonight.  All through the first episode, I was trying to remind myself what was going on, and why I should care about it.  We started the next one, and realized that the DVR had missed the first episode of the second half of this season.  I'm pretty sure at this point, I don't care enough about the series to go find the missing episode and then watch the rest.

I definitely agree that the show changed focus away from the human/cylon conflict and has gone way too far into the politics and relationship melodrama, and I don't want to watch that.  I want to watch big space battles.

When did the show jump the shark?  Big, fat Lee.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 02:01:58 AM »

So I guess our new term for jumping the shark is when a character gets fat?

Anyway, now I like character oriented shows, which is why I liked a lot of the episodes that didn't involve combat, and did involve a lot of relationship stuff.  But this is also a scifi space show, and they really went on too long without a decent conflict.

All the drive just went out of the show, and some characters were just left floundering (Starbuck for example).  Well now Starbuck is dead and the Cylons are back.  Let's see if the season finale can get things back on track.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: