http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 01:15:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bryan Singer to return to direct X-Men:First Class  (Read 7142 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 07, 2011, 12:26:49 AM

Quote from: Crawley on June 06, 2011, 11:49:18 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on June 06, 2011, 09:48:23 PM

Quote from: Crawley on June 06, 2011, 06:33:57 PM

So the movie kinda lost me there.

Havoc was just silly. The kid was some tough guy but can't be watched when doing his thing? Dumb. I can understand being a bit wary of hurting others but afraid of being watched?

I fear the first line might explain your opinion.  If you don't understand what's going on, it's hard to like something.  Havok wasn't afraid of being watched, he was only afraid of hurting people.  How you picked up on that I'm not even sure.  He can't control his power at all, that's how he ended up in prison.

I didn't mean lost in I didn't know what was going on. I meant I lost interest with how the film was going about building Xavier and Magento's friendship.

But I did not get that Havoc was afraid of hurting people. That whole scene where he kept asking the other mutants not to watch indicated to me he was self-consious of using his powers in front of them. He did say "I can't do it while you watch" or something along those lines. Not "I don't want to hurt anyone."

what he said was 'I can't do it here' when they were indoors.  He has reluctance to use his powers for fear of hurting others, nothing else.  I knew what you meant with the lost comment, I was just teasing that it might have had both meanings since you missed the nuances of the Havok scene.

In my opinion the only scene required to explain how they ended up being such good buds was the scene where he taps into Magneto's positive memory.  In addition to that we got several other scenes including him saving Erik at the sub.  I liked that they let it go more organically and didn't feel the need for long exposition/dialogue spelling it out to us.

I think Charles was a bit more put off that she was naked, but I don't think that's how she took it at all.

For once seems like me and Hark are both on the exact same page!

Oh yeah - and I loved Magneto's line to Mystique "would you cover up a tiger?" or whatever it was - in stark contrast to Charles' reaction to seeing her without a robe.

I do agree with Crawley that a couple more scenes of conflict and/or friendship development with the core 3 characters would have been nice, but keep in mind the movie was 2+ hours long.  I saw one bad review bitching about how long it was.  That's the tough thing with making an ensemble movie that's also a prequel movie that's based on such a longtime mythology of bazillion comics - figuring out what to include and what to cut and how to balance it for fanboys vs. newbies.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2011, 10:00:58 PM »

Saw this last night... good stuff.

Beast looked like some sort of reject from the 96 Island of Dr. Moreau, and the hairdo on Mystique made her head look friggin' ginormous, Betty Draper has the acting talent of a can of corn, and I'm not sold on anything about Jennifer Lawrence but her rack... but it was a good movie.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2011, 11:37:40 PM »

I agree with all your crit's except for J Lawrence.  I thought she did very well at more than showing a rack slywink  Seemed appropriately emotional.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2011, 12:28:03 AM »

Quote from: kratz on June 07, 2011, 10:00:58 PM

Beast looked like some sort of reject from the 96 Island of Dr. Moreau, and the hairdo on Mystique made her head look friggin' ginormous, Betty Draper has the acting talent of a can of corn, and I'm not sold on anything about Jennifer Lawrence but her rack... but it was a good movie.

Lawrence already has an Academy Award nomination.  I'm not sure what you're missing.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2011, 01:40:09 AM »

I know she does, but that in and of itself doesn't mean anything...

I read Winter's Bone, saw the movie... she didn't do the role justice, in my opinion, though some of the problem lay with the people making the movie, for sure.  She's just a little wooden, in my opinion... you can tell she's reciting a script a lot of the time (not always - she has moments, which I think made the bad moments more noticeable).  Nowhere near as bad as January Jones, though.  It might just be lack of experience, and she'll turn out to be great.  She's not objectionable, at any rate.

We'll see... I liked the Hunger Games books, so we'll see how she does with that - she's totally not who I pictured in the role though.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2011, 06:51:20 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on June 08, 2011, 12:28:03 AM

Lawrence already has an Academy Award nomination.  I'm not sure what you're missing.

Halle Berry has an actual Academy Award and I'm not sold on anything about her but her looks.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2011, 01:51:20 PM »

Quote from: Biyobi on June 08, 2011, 06:51:20 AM

Halle Berry has an actual Academy Award and I'm not sold on anything about her but her looks.

She made it through Catwoman without bursting into laughter every few minutes.  That's gotta be worth SOMETHING, right?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2011, 02:29:02 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 08, 2011, 01:51:20 PM

Quote from: Biyobi on June 08, 2011, 06:51:20 AM

She made it through Catwoman without bursting into laughter every few minutes.  That's gotta be worth SOMETHING, right?

that's outweighed by her not walking out the door the moment she saw the script.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »

Well, Berry gave a great performance in Monster's Ball that very few people saw (it's a painfully depressing movie for the most part, and most of its notoriety was for one nude scene, rather than the acting work Berry and the late Heath Ledger did in it), and that's what she got her Oscar for. Unless it's a lifetime achievement award, Oscars honor you for ONE performance, not for doing amazing work every time out. It's not like they sprinkle magical Oscar pixie dust on someone and you're guaranteed amazing performances and good script choices the rest of that person's career.

I think Halle and her agent have atrocious taste in scripts, generally speaking, but all sort of actors/actresses get an Oscar award or nomination and then proceed to get rich doing all kinds of dumb junk and we forget what they were capable of with a strong script. God knows why Oscar winner Adrien Brody keeps doing so much trash, for example. Maybe his distinctive visage was really only fitting for The Pianist and nobody else knows how to use him.

I think Jeremy Renner's Supporting Actor-nominated performance in The Town cemented that he's talented and The Hurt Locker wasn't a one-shot deal, but who knows what playing Hawkeye will do for/against his career in the Avengers film next summer.

As far as Lawrence goes, as with the no-doubt gorgeous Rebecca Romijn, it just seems strange to me to get this attractive actress and largely bury her beneath blue scales and CGI, playing a character that is often not herself because she's impersonating someone else. It reminds me of Wilem Dafoe being stuck with a fixed metal Green Goblin mask in Spider-Man -- no, he's not gorgeous but he's got a distinctive face that could've BEEN the Green Goblin's with just a little makeup. Why bury that memorable face and essentially boil him down to his voice?

Lawrence's Oscar nomination was for playing a range of emotions in Winter's Bone, and clearly X-Men: First Class doesn't make very good use of her acting talents, nice rack or no.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:29:29 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2011, 06:31:52 PM »

The only thing I remember from Monsters Ball is her tits. 

Ok, I guess that counts for something.

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2011, 08:06:58 PM »

You have to remember sometimes the timing throws you off.  Often some movies are filmed far in advance of when they are actually released.  Or an actor/actress accepts a role far in advance of if/when they win an Oscar, plus they don't actually know when they are making the movie it's going to be Oscar-caliber, etc.  Or other times they deliberately take something that's as opposite as possible to what they just did.  So it's plausible they just take the jobs as they come along, and to us the timing seems weird because they just win an Oscar and next thing we see them in is Catwoman-esque.

In any case, I'd have to agree I wasn't too impressed with Lawrence, particularly since she's going to be playing my beloved Katniss.  But I'm still willing to give her a chance - certainly she looks completely different in the photos I've seen, so hopefully she's one of those "transformational" actresses.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2011, 08:52:05 PM »

You have to remember sometimes the timing throws you off.  Often some movies are filmed far in advance of when they are actually released.

Trust me, that wasn't the case with this one. They fast tracked it, and IIRC they hadn't started shooting until Fall 2010.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2011, 08:34:09 AM »

on the plus side, it looks like they're still planning on doing proper X-Men films.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2011, 11:00:09 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 11, 2011, 08:34:09 AM

on the plus side, it looks like they're still planning on doing proper X-Men films.

It sounds to me like Fox’s official take on their X-Men franchise is that X-Men Origins never happened. After The Last Stand disappointed

i thought Wolverine was better than Last Stand

but i say balls to those,they had their shot,give First Class 2(Second Class?) a go

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2011, 12:20:08 PM »

Nah, I'd much rather have an Xmen 4 and Wolverine 2 than those.

I went to see it a few weeks ago, and really liked it, but the only two characters I connected with were Magneto and Prof X which were brilliant. The rest of the cast was pretty bland. Or rather, the characters felt pretty bland.

Also, the ending was pretty lousy in my opinion as well, in regards to
Spoiler for Hiden:
the battleship commanders choose to do or rather "The humans"...weak sauce

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2011, 07:38:14 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 11, 2011, 12:20:08 PM

Nah, I'd much rather have an Xmen 4 and Wolverine 2 than those.

I went to see it a few weeks ago, and really liked it, but the only two characters I connected with were Magneto and Prof X which were brilliant. The rest of the cast was pretty bland. Or rather, the characters felt pretty bland.

Also, the ending was pretty lousy in my opinion as well, in regards to
Spoiler for Hiden:
the battleship commanders choose to do or rather "The humans"...weak sauce

regarding your spoilers, that's one of the more realistic parts of the movie.  People suck.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2011, 07:50:41 PM »

Yeah, no.

I'd go see X4 before I see First Class.  Heck, even their statement concerning the Deadpool movie that Wolverine never happened gives me hope that they might have realized their mistakes. They could probably make both camps happy and alternate with yearly releases since the modern X series should have different actors than 60's x.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2011, 10:08:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 11, 2011, 07:50:41 PM

Yeah, no.

I'd go see X4 before I see First Class.  Heck, even their statement concerning the Deadpool movie that Wolverine never happened gives me hope that they might have realized their mistakes. They could probably make both camps happy and alternate with yearly releases since the modern X series should have different actors than 60's x.

CK,i was pretty much the only one agreeing with you that the trailer for First Class looked meh..and i went to see the film and Loved,it..so just go and see it you ****  Tongue

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2011, 06:45:40 PM »

thought i would stick this here,seems Brett Ratner and Michael Vaughn are having a little war of words...from experiences with both films,i am Vaughns side,whether it made less money or not icon_biggrin

http://www.syfy.co.uk/news/2011/06/brett-ratner-speaks-out-against-x-men-first-class-director-matthew-vaughns-criticism-x-

Vaughn was originally supposed to direct X-Men: The Last Stand, but bowed out because he was worried that the production schedule was too tight for him to deliver the film properly. Brett Ratner took over and, even though The Last Stand was a huge financial success (the biggest of all the X-Men movies, actually), critics and fans tore it apart

According to The Playlist, Vaughn agreed with the consensus on The Last Stand, telling a British newspaper in 2007, "I was trying to make a career as a director, and I didn't want to be the guy accused of making a bad 'X-Men' movie. As it happens, I could have made something a hundred times better than the film that was eventually made. It sounds arrogant, but I could have done something with far more emotion and heart."

Flash forward to the present and Vaughn, flush with the critical acclaim for X-Men: First Class, is still talking trash about The Last Stand: "I storyboarded the whole bloody film, did the script. My 'X3' would have been 40 minutes longer. They didn't let the emotions and the drama play in that film. It became wall-to-wall noise and drama. I would have let it breathe and added far more dramatic elements to it."

It seems that Ratner has had enough. Over the weekend he tweeted a link to a breakdown of the opening weekend box office gross for all five X-Men movies, with The Last Stand firmly on top with nearly $103 million and X-Men: First Class—which earned an estimated $56 million this past weekend—fighting for last place with the original X-Men.

Just for good measure, Ratner—who never calls out Vaughn by name in any of his tweets—also linked to a chart of all the Marvel movies, which has The Last Stand with the sixth-highest gross of all two dozen titles so far (First Class is number 19, but obviously we have yet to know its final earnings)

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2011, 08:45:15 PM »

Hollywood equates success with profit, audiences equate success with a well made film (at least discerning moviegoers over the age of 12 do), so both camps can claim to have won this little fight.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2011, 08:58:22 PM »

Hey, Matthew Vaughn won. According to vast internet rumors, he banged January Jones while on the set of 'First Class'. The child she's now expecting is widely believed to be his. January Jones hasn't revealed the father's identity. Matthew Vaugh, FYI, is married to 90s supermodel Claudia Schiffer.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2011, 08:39:18 PM »

Fantastic movie.

Ratners sales success is based on the success of X2. First Class's less than stellar sales is a combination of failure of both Last Stand and Wolverine to deliver a compelling movie experience, and some pretty bad hype. I'd also point out the glut of superhero movies in theatres right now.

There may also be a few people who wanted to see more wolverine.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:43:24 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2011, 09:02:07 PM »

Not to mention those who wanted to see X-Men: First Class and not X-Men: Hodgepodge O'Mutants Creek.

Because I can,
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2011, 09:50:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 07, 2011, 09:02:07 PM

Not to mention those who wanted to see X-Men: First Class and not X-Men: Hodgepodge O'Mutants Creek.

Did you just whip out a dawson's creek reference?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2011, 10:03:02 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on July 07, 2011, 09:50:32 PM

Yes, I whipped out the Dawson and smacked Mister Matthew "I don't have the balls to attempt the classic X-Men" Vaughn across the forehead with it.

AND HE LIKED IT.

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2011, 10:59:26 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 07, 2011, 08:39:18 PM

Fantastic movie.

Ratners sales success is based on the success of X2. First Class's less than stellar sales is a combination of failure of both Last Stand and Wolverine to deliver a compelling movie experience, and some pretty bad hype. I'd also point out the glut of superhero movies in theatres right now.

As much as I loved the movie, I have to go back to my original comments when I first heard about the idea.  Why do a prequel when there are countless new stories to be told with these characters?  If they didn't like that key characters had been killed off, they could do a "reboot" a la Star Trek and more or less ignore the previous movies.  Comic books do it themselves all the time, so rebooting the movie franchise would be just as acceptable.

Also don't forget that the original X-Men movies nabbed two major sci-fi icons (Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan) in lead roles, plus up-and-coming stars (at the time) like Halle Berry and Hugh Jackman (who as the series progressed became huge stars).  First Class had none of that going for it, as good as the cast was, in terms of star power it was like a B-tier movie.  When the most recognizable name is Kevin Bacon...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2011, 08:34:28 AM »

Have you seen this movie yet??

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2011, 01:00:29 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 08, 2011, 08:34:28 AM

Have you seen this movie yet??

Irrelevant.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2011, 03:21:47 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on July 07, 2011, 09:50:32 PM

Twice already. The second time was more obvious, because it wasn't funny the first time, so he thought "Why not a second time?".

Kinda like Punisher movies.

Also, first class is a better movie. It may not be as compelling as a summer blockbuster, but it gives you a whole lot of Xmen canon

Spoiler for examples:
Emma Frost
Moira Taggert
Banshee
Havok
Raven (Mystique)
Prof. X's friendship / conflict with Magneto
Prof. X's spinal injury

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2011, 03:58:56 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 08, 2011, 03:21:47 PM

Also, first class is a better movie. It may not be as compelling as a summer blockbuster, but it gives you a whole lot of Xmen canon

Spoiler for examples:
Emma Frost
Moira Taggert
Banshee
Havok
Raven (Mystique)
Prof. X's friendship / conflict with Magneto
Prof. X's spinal injury

about those:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Emma Frost doesn't show up until Uncanny X-Men #129, which would put her well outside the 60's.

Cyclops was on the team well before Havok. 

Mystique wouldn't have been a child for Xavier to find (she stated in her sole series that she wasn't born last century)

I dub that BS canon.  sorry, the original X-Men were Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Beast and Angel, not this shit.  Argument over.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »

It's funny how you think anything is canon in comics.  icon_lol

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2011, 04:31:32 PM »

I'm with Ceekay on this.  While enjoyable, the movie screws with the history of the x-men to the point of absurdity.  It's a nice one shot, but it's not the x-men from the comics.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: July 08, 2011, 04:45:45 PM »

LOL. First of all, canon wasn't the word I was looking for... (sorry for that).

Iceman was in the first Xmen movie as a young adult and Kelsey Grammar had a bit role as Hank. Good luck clinging to what Stan and Company put down on paper 50 years ago - clearly this is a reboot, and was approved by Marvel.

You didn't answer the question, CeeKay. Have you seen the movie?

Pardon me? Your voice is muffled with all that talk coming outta yer ass. slywink

Edited to stir the pot.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 05:43:34 PM by Purge » Logged

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2011, 04:50:01 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 08, 2011, 04:31:32 PM

I'm with Ceekay on this.  While enjoyable, the movie screws with the history of the x-men to the point of absurdity.  It's a nice one shot, but it's not the x-men from the comics.

NONE of the movies were. Nor were any of the cartoons. The idea behind First Class was that it connected to the previous series of X-Men movies moreso than the comics. In fact, I felt it was more true to the comics than the rest of the X-Men movies were.

CeeKay=ComicBookGuy

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2011, 04:53:43 PM »

I haven't, and like ibdoomed said that's irrelevant. I know I wouldn't like getting my balls slammed in a car door, but I don't feel the need to subject myself to that to prove to myself I wouldn't like it.

I have no plans to see it period. It won't even get a Netflix rental from me that would cost next to nothing. If they come out with a real X-Men First Class movie then I'll see it, but this isn't that.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »

Whoops, I guess I didn't read all of Ceekay's replies.  When I said I was with him, I meant on the timeline of the x-men.  I actually really enjoyed First Class.  His stubborn refusal to see a good movie because it doesn't fit into his world view on the x-men is rather goofy (sorry CK, I'm just callin' 'em likes i sees 'em).

And I fully understand the other films weren't really faithful, but First Class is drastically different from the comics...much more so than the other films.  Pointing out how it differs from the comics doesn't necessarily mean I hated it, though.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 05:08:36 PM by hepcat » Logged

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2011, 05:18:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 08, 2011, 04:53:43 PM

I haven't, and like ibdoomed said that's irrelevant. I know I wouldn't like getting my balls slammed in a car door, but I don't feel the need to subject myself to that to prove to myself I wouldn't like it.

I have no plans to see it period. It won't even get a Netflix rental from me that would cost next to nothing. If they come out with a real X-Men First Class movie then I'll see it, but this isn't that.

Ceekay, what the hell, man?!

(PR drives to OH and kidnaps Ceekay.. straps him to a movie theater chair and forces him to see both 'Thor' and 'X-Men: First Class')

You're missing two top notch comic book flicks!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2011, 11:20:10 PM »

I'd have to agree that you're missing out on a good movie if you focus solely on what's in the comics.  And this is coming from someone who's been reading the X-Men for 30+ years.  I still remember exactly the first issue I ever picked up, #108 (from 1977 holy cow), I must have read that thing a hundred times.  That group of X-Men will always be the classic X-Men in my mind.

But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate things in a different format.  I just remind myself a live action film is never going to quite be the same as what I envision from reading the comic book, I'm just hoping for some solid entertainment.  And leave it at that.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2011, 06:53:12 AM »

C'mon CK,that can't be the reason you are avoiding this film...if i can see and enjoy Return of the King even with that ending then you can see and enjoy this!! icon_biggrin

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2011, 09:51:03 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 08, 2011, 04:53:43 PM

you seem remarkably close minded and stubborn about this.  Ridiculously so.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: