http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 02:30:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bryan Singer to return to direct X-Men:First Class  (Read 7595 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 02, 2011, 04:14:22 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 02, 2011, 04:04:57 PM

whatever happened to X-Men Origins:Deadpool anyway?

it's in development.  hopefully they decide to jettison the abomination they made him in Wolverine and go with the traditional comic book version.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2011, 11:50:07 PM »

The Communist trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUMzFFDebIU&feature=player_embedded

I think there's some new stuff in there, not really feeling the need to compare it to the other one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2011, 03:11:43 AM »

the latest trailer.  still not feeling it, but I tossed it in my Netflix queue.

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2011, 10:09:10 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 28, 2011, 03:11:43 AM

the latest trailer.  still not feeling it, but I tossed it in my Netflix queue.

Yeah, I'm not sold on it...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »

I am more into it than the time i saw the first trailer,but something does still feel a little 'off'...however with me planning on going seeing Thor this coming Tuesday and Captain America later on i guess i could squeeze in an X-Men film inbetween,i have been a fan of all the other Xmen films so why not(yes even Xmen 3 and Wolverine)

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2011, 03:29:11 PM »

not sure if this has been said but this film is not available in 3D

i think the last non 3D film i saw was Sherlock Holmes

i am fine with it not being 3D though,i am going seeing it next Wednesday all being well

oh and there are rumours that this will be the first of a new trilogy
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a311362/x-men-first-class-actress-hints-at-trilogy.html

and this is from the wiki page
X-Men: First Class 2

Fox envisions X-Men: First Class as the first film of a new trilogy. Donner compared the franchise plans to be similar to the darker, more mature content of the Harry Potter film series. While speaking about the sequels, director Matthew Vaughn said, "First Class is similar to Batman Begins, where you have the fun of introducing the characters and getting to know them, but that takes time. But with the second one you can just get on with it and have a rollicking good time. Thatís the main difference between Begins and The Dark Knight." Vaughn has mentioned only one new character would appear in a sequel due to Xavier being in a wheelchair and the film needing someone to battle Magneto directly.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:32:20 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2011, 04:32:59 PM »

Getting very good early reviews...I'm looking forward to next week!
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2011, 04:44:06 PM »

Quote from: Jiffy on May 27, 2011, 04:32:59 PM

Getting very good early reviews...I'm looking forward to next week!

Wow..I may have to change this from blu ray to theater...
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2011, 02:25:45 AM »

The wife and I are going on vacation next, but still plan on taking time to see this... on our anniversary no less....
Gonna be in Universal as well, so I wonder if they have anything planned with Islands of Adventure...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2011, 05:15:53 AM »

what, no impressions?  it must suck!  Tongue

anyways, worst X-Men opening ever? (when previous openings are adjusted for inflation)

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2011, 09:04:21 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 06, 2011, 05:15:53 AM

what, no impressions?  it must suck!  Tongue

anyways, worst X-Men opening ever? (when previous openings are adjusted for inflation)

X-Men: First Class squeaked by with a passable estimated $56 million on approximately 6,900 screens at 3,641 locations, and it's looking more like the fanboy fantasia it sounded like when first announced than something that will advance the franchise. Sure, the first X-Men movie opened to $54.5 million, but $56 million in 2011 is far less impressive than $54.5 million in 2000.

it's probably not that bad really with the state of finances these days

and it still has 87% on RT with 186 reviews

yes i am trying to support the movie Tongue

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2011, 01:41:55 PM »

Due to the GT update, MO has had X-Men First Class wiped from his mind and must now see it again to provide impressions.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 06, 2011, 01:41:55 PM

Due to the GT update, MO has had X-Men First Class wiped from his mind and must now see it again to provide impressions.

LOL,has that gone as well...oh well,here's my new review

i liked it thumbsup

icon_biggrin

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2011, 01:58:27 PM »

Saw it yesterday and I enjoyed it...for the most part.

Pros:

- Fassbender continues to steal any film he's in.
- McAvoy puts up a good fight in the battle for scene stealing that he wages with Fassbender.
- Even though Banshee wasn't the Irishman he should've been, I thought the kid who played him did a great job.  His delivery was very natural and really sold his character.
- Bacon.
- Magneto tearing apart the ship towards the beginning of the film.
- The story, while not Dark Knight good, was at least Batman Begins good.  
- The cameos.

Cons:

- How is January Jones getting roles outside Mad Men?  There's a huge number of actresses out there who could fill a bra just as easily and maybe come across as something other than a sofa cushion.  Seriously, she's good for one thing and one thing only:  being a soulless Mrs. Draper...a part which requires her to simply pout and act like a child.  The ONLY thing she's apparently capable of.
- The rest of the young mutants besides Banshee were forgettable.
- Bacon's Backup Boys:  i think they had maybe 3 lines between them the entire film.  Talk about two dimensional.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 06, 2011, 01:58:27 PM

- How is January Jones getting roles outside Mad Men?  There's a huge number of actresses out there who could fill a bra just as easily and maybe come across as something other than a sofa cushion.  Seriously, she's good for one thing and one thing only:  being a soulless Mrs. Draper...a part which requires her to simply pout and act like a child.  The ONLY thing she's apparently capable of.

I'm not even sure she's good at that.  She's awfully nice to take in, but as soon as she tries to act, the whole illusion falls like a deck of cards.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2011, 03:06:21 PM »

Watched it on Friday night and thought it was excellent. I loved the cast all around: James Mcavoy, Matthew Fassbender, January Jones, and Kevin Bacon. All great in their roles! Mcavoy and Fassbender, in particular, have a good chemistry as Professor X and Magneto. Matthew Vaughn ('Kick-Ass') did a great job all around with the direction. Loved the..ahem.. cameo by a certain someone (won't ruin it). Just a good flick all around. I hope it revives the 'X-Men' franchise.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2011, 05:57:28 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 06, 2011, 03:06:21 PM

Watched it on Friday night and thought it was excellent. I loved the cast all around: James Mcavoy, Matthew Fassbender, January Jones, and Kevin Bacon. All great in their roles! Mcavoy and Fassbender, in particular, have a good chemistry as Professor X and Magneto. Matthew Vaughn ('Kick-Ass') did a great job all around with the direction. Loved the..ahem.. cameo by a certain someone (won't ruin it). Just a good flick all around. I hope it revives the 'X-Men' franchise.

I have to agree.  Now as some of you may or may not know, I generally abhor prequels in any of my entertainment (games, movies, books, etc), just a personal preference.  But this one definitely is the exception for me.  As PR says, it's just a good flick all around.  Now of course I am really partial to James McAvoy, every time they do a close up on his beautiful blue eyes in any movie, I just kind of melt.  He's like this generation's Hugh Grant but cuter and much more versatile as an actor.  But that's beside the point!  As others have mentioned, Fassbender is an awesome find - I could see him being the next James Bond, or doing well in that kind of role at least.  The chemistry between the 2 of them is excellent, almost too good in some ways it almost feels... um, well you know.  Kevin Bacon was also fantastic, nice to see him doing something different and interesting, and also nice to see someone using the Sebastian Shaw comic book character well.

The only cons were as others mentioned, the rest of the supporting cast was decidedly supporting, not given much interesting to do at all.  January Jones was almost like a robot, kind of disappointing for the White Queen that is all over the comic books today.  The young Mystique was probably the only standout (Jennifer Lawrence, who's also going to play Katniss in Hunger Games, hooray!), but even she was kind of sideline-ish.  I did like the way they told her story and had it lead into her joining Magneto (also wondering if the implication is that she eventually has a baby with Azeal guy to have Nightcrawler).  In fact the whole movie was interesting in that it was written as both a reboot and a prequel; for the most part it seemed like it was consistent with what would later be in the movies. 

It opened to $56 million, but most places are calling that poor relative to the other movies.  I'm hoping word of mouth might carry it a bit longer as I'd enjoy at least one more sequel with this cast and director.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2011, 06:28:59 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 06, 2011, 05:57:28 PM

As others have mentioned, Fassbender is an awesome find - I could see him being the next James Bond, or doing well in that kind of role at least. 

I wouldn't exactly call him a "find".  Fassbender's been around for a while.  He's been in a lot of stuff over the last few years.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2011, 06:30:36 PM »

My wife and I decided on a whim to catch a screening Saturday night on our way home from a friend's BBQ.  We both greatly enjoyed the film, and while I agree with many of the prior assessments, I also disagree with a few points.  First, the positives.  They nailed the period quite well without it seeming cheesy or forced.  They handled the time period setting with subtlety and I think that is what made it work so well.  I am also a big fan of McAvoy, but in my opinion Fassbender completely stole the film.  He was a force throughout the story and his emotional range along with the strength with which he communicated anger, loss, heartbreak, determination, and dedication all combined to make his performance stand out for me above all others.  He was mesmerizing in every scene, his emotions and statements had tremendous impact, his poise and confidence made his rise to leadership completely believable, and despite knowing what he would become you still couldn't help but buy into his worldview and feel some level of sympathy given the experiences that molded him.  For me Fassbender made the film and I cannot wait to see where he goes next.

McAvoy was fantastic, but going into the film I mentioned to my wife that I've read about reviewers saying that he was McAvoy playing Patrick Stewart playing Professor X, and she certainly noticed that, but I certainly do not mean such a comparison in a negative light.  As Stewart was the quintessential Professor X from the moment he appeared on screen, it would be too jarring for McAvoy to do too much new with the character, so his respect and recognition for Stewart's portrayal showed and he truly did the character (and his predecessor) justice.  I greatly enjoyed his performance and completely bought into that I was watching a young Professor X evolve to the man who established the Xavier School for the Gifted.  The fact that he channeled Stewart's performance only further solidified his portrayal of a young Xavier.  

Now, the negatives.  Kevin Bacon, at least for me, was not at all believable as any sort of super villain.  I did not find him intimidating, convincing, or strong enough to communicate leadership.  His interactions with the Russians were almost comical as I didn't find him to be menacing, convincing, or persuasive.  That isn't to say that he was "bad" in the film, but merely "okay."  When we walked into the reactor room near the end of the film I almost chuckled at this thin, aged, shadow of a star trying to walk menacingly and confidently into the room.  The Bacon strut seemed more amusing than confident and almost a caricature of his past self.    

I also found some of the supporting cast to be not so supportive.  Some were kept so far in the background that they were terribly forgettable, such as the character Riptide.  He did not have one single line in the entire film.  He made a few tornadoes but mostly just stood in the background making pouty lips as if he were practicing for a photo shoot in between attacks.  He was more an anonymous henchman ala the 1960's Batman series than a formidable character.  I did notice that his IMDb credits consist almost entirely of Spanish titles so perhaps they didn't want him to have any lines in the film, but it just stood out a little too much as being odd.  Emma Frost and Angel were also fairly minor.  Beast and Mystique certainly stood out, but the rest were a bit too minor, including Moira.  

Overall we both loved the film and would rank it just after X2 as our favorite X-Men film, but comparisons to The Dark Knight are a bit much as I don't think they are anywhere near the same level, but I would put First Class along with films like Ironman, Batman Begins, and X2.  Definitely worth the price of admission.

And like others have said, don't bother staying for the end credits.  There isn't anything.  Our entire audience stayed and more than a few voiced their irritation in a number of colorful and amusing ways.  

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2011, 06:33:57 PM »

I didn't care for this one. For a film that revolved around the relationship between Xavier and Magneto I thought it did a pretty poor job at handling it. Conversations between the two characters lasted no more than 30 seconds. They really didn't have enough dialogue between them to set up their relationship. It was like one character would say something meaningful, the other would have a short response. Cut. Next scene. You basically had to buy their friendship at face value with all the quick chummy scenes and because they kept reminding each other they were friends. Would rather have had some scenes with actual dialogue that clearly showed these two could really be friends instead of being explicitly told or shown.

So the movie kinda lost me there.

The Mystique character was pointless as she only became a factor for one scene near the end. If the movie explored the differences in how Xavier and Magneto see the world with Mystique being caught in the middle that probably would have worked better for me. Again that choice came down to a split second scene at the end. I did dig the relationship between Mystique and Beast though and wish they focused more on that.

I also thought the other mutants were pretty damn boring. I haven't read X-Men in a number of years so was not familiar with Havoc, Banshee, Darwin, or Angel but each of those mutants seemed pretty lame. The Angel one in particular looked dumb while flying (not buying those wing can hold her) and the strange mismatch of flaming venom power. Banshee also looked totally dumb flying by sound - didn't buy that working either. Havoc was just silly. The kid was some tough guy but can't be watched when doing his thing? Dumb. I can understand being a bit wary of hurting others but afraid of being watched?

It wasn't awful but I was disappointed in it as it seemed like the short changed the characters.

Two final gripes. One they gotta stop shooting that scene where the commanding officer says to his men "it's been a pleasure serving with you" "no sir the pleasure was all mine." Ugh. The other gripe is that this was the first film I saw where they didn't swap out the 3D lens. The entire film was dark with a lot of muted colors. Details were particularly hard to see during the night scenes. Basically imagine turning the gamma correction down on your monitor and playing Doom 3. So I won't be going back to the theater I saw it in and hope other theaters don't carry on this trend or else everything just going to be DVD rentals.  disgust
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2011, 06:41:07 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on June 06, 2011, 06:33:57 PM

I didn't care for this one. For a film that revolved around the relationship between Xavier and Magneto I thought it did a pretty poor job at handling it. Conversations between the two characters lasted no more than 30 seconds. They really didn't have enough dialogue between them to set up their relationship. It was like one character would say something meaningful, the other would have a short response. Cut. Next scene. You basically had to buy their friendship at face value with all the quick chummy scenes and because they kept reminding each other they were friends. Would rather have had some scenes with actual dialogue that clearly showed these two could really be friends instead of being explicitly told or shown.

I didn't get that same opinion, I guess.  I thought they established their friendship quite well.  Being verbose isn't the only way to handle character interaction.  As a matter of fact, I feel it's oftentimes a crutch employed when a writer feel the audience isn't bright enough to understand something.  

and while i agree with you on most of the side mutants, i thought banshee was actually the best of the lot.  i thought his sonic powers would translate badly to a film, but the makers of the film did a splendid job imho.

sucks about the projection problem.  the movie is shot in glorious 2D and it suffered none of the problems I find with dark and out of focus shots in 3D films whatsoever.  It was a nice change of pace to watch a film that wasn't converted to 3D after the fact.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 06:46:31 PM by hepcat » Logged

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2011, 06:52:47 PM »

The Mystique character was pointless as she only became a factor for one scene near the end. If the movie explored the differences in how Xavier and Magneto see the world with Mystique being caught in the middle that probably would have worked better for me. Again that choice came down to a split second scene at the end. I did dig the relationship between Mystique and Beast though and wish they focused more on that.

Kind of interesting to hear your take as it almost felt like we watched different movies.  Like PeteRock, I felt like Fassbender practically stole the movie outright, but I absolutely loved the McAVoy/Fassbender dynamic.  I don't think they needed dialog, a lot of it was all in their performances.  The eye contact, the looks they gave each other, some of it was downright intimate, particularly when Xavier helps him with his powers.  In my audience someone even started to make kissing sounds during one of their final scenes together lol.  As much as I enjoyed their relationship, in some parts I felt were actually too intimate for two straight men, but that may just be my limited view as a gay man.

And with Mystique, to me it seemed they did exactly what you said they didn't - used her as the vehicle to define the differences between the two.  They set her "conflict" with Xavier up from almost her first/second scene - he just never "got" the whole "us vs. them" mentality that she had, even as a child.  The need to hide who you truly are vs. taking pride in it, the understanding that just being different can make you an outcast.  There was so much gay/Gaga subtext in this movie (I almost thought Born This Way was going to start playing in one scene), and maybe that's something you didn't identify with, or identify as part of the core conflict.  Magneto sees and accepts her for who she truly is, and often enough, that alone is enough.  Xavier, for all his innate "goodness," is really an extreme idealist, and perhaps too arrogant for his own good, so much so he never sees what is really behind Mystique's deepest longings, even though he's a mind reader he still doesn't fully understand.  That's always been his tragic flaw, what he doesn't or refuses to see out of arrogance(?) or a blind spot, and I think McAvoy did a great job playing it.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2011, 06:54:14 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 06, 2011, 06:52:47 PM

The eye contact, the looks they gave each other, some of it was downright intimate, particularly when Xavier helps him with his powers.  In my audience someone even started to make kissing sounds during one of their final scenes together lol.  As much as I enjoyed their relationship, in some parts I felt were actually too intimate for two straight men, but that may just be my limited view as a gay man.

I now think I saw a different film than both you AND crawley. 

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2011, 06:54:40 PM »

'X-Men: First Class'! The Pete Rock-Crawley extended edition coming to theaters June 2013. Featuring a 37-minute bonding scene between Professor X and Magneto and full-background characterization. Plus, a complete villain overhaul, now starring impossing WWF Superstar John Cena as Sebastian Shaw and Academy-Award Winner Meryl Streep (at her current age) in full-faced pancake makeup as Emma Frost, the White Queen! Now running at 3hrs and 57 minutes.. don't miss it! Summer 2013!!!  icon_razz
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2011, 06:57:24 PM »

I don't think a complete villain overhaul is in order.  But there has to be some area between "no lines, pretend you're a wheel barrow for the entire film" and "here's a 47 minute section of the film detailing Riptide's first time with a chocolate bar" that could've been used.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2011, 07:13:09 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 06, 2011, 06:54:40 PM

'X-Men: First Class'! The Pete Rock-Crawley extended edition coming to theaters June 2013. Featuring a 37-minute bonding scene between Professor X and Magneto and full-background characterization. Plus, a complete villain overhaul, now starring impossing WWF Superstar John Cena as Sebastian Shaw and Academy-Award Winner Meryl Streep (at her current age) in full-faced pancake makeup as Emma Frost, the White Queen! Now running at 3hrs and 57 minutes.. don't miss it! Summer 2013!!!  icon_razz

I sometimes fail to gather how you are able to form such skewed conclusions born from over trivializations of what I consider to be valid gripes.  Kevin Bacon is simply a poor imposing figure, but identifying such a shortcoming does not automatically imply a preference for WWE superstars or musical actresses.  Nor has a villain overhaul even been suggested.  Most are probably taken directly from the comics, but their translation to screen was poorly handled.  That doesn't suggest a complete overhaul but merely better real-world implementation.

Yet if anyone applies a similar textual eye-roll to your feelings on torture porn's place in cinema then a much more heated tirade is likely to follow.   

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2011, 07:18:37 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 06, 2011, 07:13:09 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 06, 2011, 06:54:40 PM

I sometimes fail to gather how you are able to form such skewed conclusions born from over trivializations of what I consider to be valid gripes.  Kevin Bacon is simply a poor imposing figure, but identifying such a shortcoming does not automatically imply a preference for WWE superstars or musical actresses.  Nor has a villain overhaul even been suggested.  Most are probably taken directly from the comics, but their translation to screen was poorly handled.  That doesn't suggest a complete overhaul but merely better real-world implementation.

Yet if anyone applies a similar textual eye-roll to your feelings on torture porn's place in cinema then a much more heated tirade is likely to follow.   

Uh oh, I think someone took my parody post a bit too seriously!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2011, 07:19:28 PM »

Pete, I think you're reading more hostility into his reply than he intended.   icon_wink
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:22:15 PM by hepcat » Logged

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2011, 07:30:49 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 06, 2011, 07:19:28 PM

Pete, I think you're reading more hostility into his reply than he intended.   icon_wink

Parody typically involves ridicule and mockery based upon trivialization.  It seemed out of place and unfitting.  Film impressions are based upon opinion and often shared on the forums to provide members a chance to make educated decisions on whether to view a film or simply to discuss a film's merits or shortcomings.  What motivation is there if thoughts are trivialized? 

You don't have to take such posts too seriously to still find irritation in them.  My irritation can be in part due to other posters, not necessarily PR_GMR specifically, but sometimes being contrary or trivial simply to do so gets a little stale. 

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2011, 07:35:12 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 06, 2011, 07:30:49 PM

Quote from: hepcat on June 06, 2011, 07:19:28 PM

Parody typically involves ridicule and mockery based upon trivialization.  It seemed out of place and unfitting.  Film impressions are based upon opinion and often shared on the forums to provide members a chance to make educated decisions on whether to view a film or simply to discuss a film's merits or shortcomings.  What motivation is there if thoughts are trivialized?  

You don't have to take such posts too seriously to still find irritation in them.  My irritation can be in part due to other posters, not necessarily PR_GMR specifically, but sometimes being contrary or trivial simply to do so gets a little stale.  

Good Lord, Pete, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed today? Your sense of humor just called. You left it behind at a bus station and it needs a ride back home.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2011, 07:36:48 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember you being this thin skinned.   icon_confused

edit:  PR, poking him in light of his recent posts may not be considered the best avenue to take at this point.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:38:24 PM by hepcat » Logged

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 06, 2011, 07:36:48 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember you being this thin skinned.   icon_confused

edit:  PR, poking him in light of his recent posts may not be considered the best avenue to take at this point.

I ain't poking him no more. I know he's just overreacting. Don't worry about it, Pete.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2011, 07:50:29 PM »

Hep, are you sure you didn't accidentally watch Paranormal Entity again?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2011, 07:52:03 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 06, 2011, 07:50:29 PM

Hep, are you sure you didn't accidentally watch Paranormal Entity again?

heh, yeah...NOT one of my finer moments.   icon_redface

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2011, 09:48:23 PM »

Havoc was just silly. The kid was some tough guy but can't be watched when doing his thing? Dumb. I can understand being a bit wary of hurting others but afraid of being watched?

I fear the first line might explain your opinion.  If you don't understand what's going on, it's hard to like something.  Havok wasn't afraid of being watched, he was only afraid of hurting people.  How you picked up on that I'm not even sure.  He can't control his power at all, that's how he ended up in prison.

I quite liked that they didn't feel the requirement that every mutant that appeared onscreen had to be explained. 

Nightcrawler's dad was awesome how he was, and I hope they keep the family relation.

Quote from: rittchard on June 06, 2011, 06:52:47 PM

As much as I enjoyed their relationship, in some parts I felt were actually too intimate for two straight men, but that may just be my limited view as a gay man.

Not too intimate for two people in their situation.  You also have to realize that Charles was inside Erik's head and experienced his deepest most emotional moments.  That is a pretty extreme form of bonding. 

Prof X was a bit of a groovy pickup artist, no? slywink

Regarding Kevin Bacon, I liked the way that whole thing was portrayed.  To me it seemed obvious that their version of Shaw lacked actual leadership skills, but the fact that he was so powerful overshadowed that and allowed him to be a leader.  It's a bit like a case study in what happens when the less charismatic guy gets the biggest power.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 06, 2011, 09:48:23 PM

Not too intimate for two people in their situation.  You also have to realize that Charles was inside Erik's head and experienced his deepest most emotional moments.  That is a pretty extreme form of bonding. 

Prof X was a bit of a groovy pickup artist, no? slywink

Regarding Kevin Bacon, I liked the way that whole thing was portrayed.  To me it seemed obvious that their version of Shaw lacked actual leadership skills, but the fact that he was so powerful overshadowed that and allowed him to be a leader.  It's a bit like a case study in what happens when the less charismatic guy gets the biggest power.

That's a good point (first one) - doesn't get much more intimate than that I suppose!  I think they did a great job in that key scene.

Also liked Charles using the same pickup lines, that was really cute...

And on Shaw, that's really the way I saw him portrayed in the comics as well, except there he was drawn as being much bigger/beefier/bulkier.  But yeah, essentially he just bullied his way on sheer power to being Black King as far as I remember.  I do like the change of having him not age and his relationship with Magneto (which was not in the comics).
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2011, 11:49:18 PM »

Havoc was just silly. The kid was some tough guy but can't be watched when doing his thing? Dumb. I can understand being a bit wary of hurting others but afraid of being watched?

I fear the first line might explain your opinion.  If you don't understand what's going on, it's hard to like something.  Havok wasn't afraid of being watched, he was only afraid of hurting people.  How you picked up on that I'm not even sure.  He can't control his power at all, that's how he ended up in prison.

I didn't mean lost in I didn't know what was going on. I meant I lost interest with how the film was going about building Xavier and Magento's friendship.

But I did not get that Havoc was afraid of hurting people. That whole scene where he kept asking the other mutants not to watch indicated to me he was self-consious of using his powers in front of them. He did say "I can't do it while you watch" or something along those lines. Not "I don't want to hurt anyone."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2011, 11:54:36 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 06, 2011, 06:41:07 PM

I didn't get that same opinion, I guess.  I thought they established their friendship quite well.  Being verbose isn't the only way to handle character interaction.  As a matter of fact, I feel it's oftentimes a crutch employed when a writer feel the audience isn't bright enough to understand something.  

It doesn't have to be full on dialogue but a few key scenes that spend some time with the two characters to show that yeah the two could be real good buddies. I came away feeling I had to take that relationship at face value.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2011, 12:01:26 AM »

Quote from: rittchard
And with Mystique, to me it seemed they did exactly what you said they didn't - used her as the vehicle to define the differences between the two.  They set her "conflict" with Xavier up from almost her first/second scene - he just never "got" the whole "us vs. them" mentality that she had, even as a child.  The need to hide who you truly are vs. taking pride in it, the understanding that just being different can make you an outcast.

You're right there were a couple scenes. Magneto did comment that she should show her real form and there was the one scene were Charles freaked out a bit when she did show her form. I was hoping that struggle would play a bigger part in the film and think that would have been more interesting triangle for all three characters (Charles/Magneto/Mystique). So I guess I was just disapointed with that there was little focus there.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2011, 12:26:49 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on June 06, 2011, 11:49:18 PM

I didn't mean lost in I didn't know what was going on. I meant I lost interest with how the film was going about building Xavier and Magento's friendship.

But I did not get that Havoc was afraid of hurting people. That whole scene where he kept asking the other mutants not to watch indicated to me he was self-consious of using his powers in front of them. He did say "I can't do it while you watch" or something along those lines. Not "I don't want to hurt anyone."

what he said was 'I can't do it here' when they were indoors.  He has reluctance to use his powers for fear of hurting others, nothing else.  I knew what you meant with the lost comment, I was just teasing that it might have had both meanings since you missed the nuances of the Havok scene.

In my opinion the only scene required to explain how they ended up being such good buds was the scene where he taps into Magneto's positive memory.  In addition to that we got several other scenes including him saving Erik at the sub.  I liked that they let it go more organically and didn't feel the need for long exposition/dialogue spelling it out to us.

I think Charles was a bit more put off that she was naked, but I don't think that's how she took it at all.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: