http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 06:10:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broadband access: FIOS vs. Cable?  (Read 691 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:50:33 PM »

So about 2 months ago 2 redshirts from Verizon are going door to door and tell me my street is getting FIOS (fiber optic) put in, and ask me if I want to make an appt to get it installed.  I say sure, but as we're doing it he realizes there's some physical wiring that still has to take place first.  He gets an appt for that setup (supposedly) and tells me to call back in a couple weeks to set up my installation appt.  Sounds great.  I wait about a month and finally get a chance to call in.  Of course the person I talk to has no idea what I'm talking about, and finally tells me they'll "look into it" and get back to me in a couple days.  Of course I hear nothing back, and busy with work, another few weeks passes.  I call again yesterday and they have no record of the 2nd conversation and all they show is my phone number isn't ready for FIOS.  The lady checks back and forth, keeps second guessing everything I tell her (specifically about the guy telling me the rest of the street was already wired and some people had it), and finally ends up with: you guessed it, someone will get back to me in a couple days.

So I check out the cable modem speeds and prices, and its very close.  I've just about had it with Verizon's lameness, but I'm still a bit leery to jump to cable (presently I'm using Verizon DSL).  I think the local provider is Time Warner/Road Runner.  If anyone has any thoughts on it, I'd be interested.  I'm thinking I'll give Verizon a few more days to give me some kind of answer.  If I hear nothing, I'll start pursuing the cable option.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:53:43 PM »

I have had cable internet, currently have DSL because that is what is available at my new home.  I do know at least in my area that Verizon is having a hard time getting enough techs contracted and trained to do FIOS installs so they are lagging behind, but from the people I have talked to that have it, they love it.

Cable internet is solid, never had issues with mine, although it was expensive as comcast kept raising my rates.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 11:58:03 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 17, 2008, 11:53:43 PM

I have had cable internet, currently have DSL because that is what is available at my new home.  I do know at least in my area that Verizon is having a hard time getting enough techs contracted and trained to do FIOS installs so they are lagging behind, but from the people I have talked to that have it, they love it.

Cable internet is solid, never had issues with mine, although it was expensive as comcast kept raising my rates.

If you complain a little, and reference competition, you can usually get your rates lowered back to the introductory special rates.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 12:00:28 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on April 17, 2008, 11:58:03 PM

Quote from: Arkon on April 17, 2008, 11:53:43 PM

If you complain a little, and reference competition, you can usually get your rates lowered back to the introductory special rates.

Well it is a moot point now because comcast only has basic cable available where I live, no digital or cable internet.  So I have the bundle from Verizon that is phone, DSL and Direct TV.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 12:05:56 AM »

FIOS burns down someones house  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 12:18:07 AM »

Don't let them cut the copper!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 03:32:53 AM »

Never had DSL or fiber. Used to have ISDN in the old days. Ive had Charter cable since it was just a 1 way system with cable down at 1 meg and dial up upstream. I currently have 10meg down and 1meg up for $34 a month and I own my modem from them.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Trey
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 06:04:46 AM »

We just switched from analog cable w/ internet to FiOS this week. We're getting about 20x d/l and u/l speeds and 5 trillion more channels and crisp digital picture. Screw Comcast.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: