http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 02:49:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bring on the cicadas!  (Read 470 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2013, 05:15:38 PM »

Brood II due for a spring emergence:

The group expected this spring, known as Brood 2, are the offspring of cicadas last seen in 1996. If they follow the same tracks as their parents, they'll emerge in Connecticut, Maryland, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.

The genetic mechanism that prompts periodical cicadas to emerge kicks in every 17 years (or every 13 years for other broods) when the ground warms up to 64F (18C).

You folks have fun.  Down in Texas, we have another couple years before brood IV shows up.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 07:50:42 PM »

Such a weird insect...  They were here in Tennessee a couple of years ago I guess.  Loud...

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:51:22 PM »

Brood II?  What is this, a low budget horror film?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 08:12:34 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on March 29, 2013, 07:50:42 PM

Such a weird insect...  They were here in Tennessee a couple of years ago I guess.  Loud...

You can look forward to Brood XXIII in two more years if you're in the west part of the state.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 09:53:03 PM »

We don't get them where I live in coastal BC, Canada but there's quite a few in the interior. There's even a species here in the Okanagan region that's supposed to be able to survive as far north as 250 miles south of the arctic circle, so the idea that they're only a warm climate bug isn't correct.
I hear they're good to eat - anyone ever try one?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 12:33:59 PM »

They're not that big a deal. Just dealing with all of their corpses gets old.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 07:18:57 PM »

I was lifeguarding at a large public pool during one of the summer brood swarms in the late '80s in Virginia.  These were the black cicadas with the red markings.  It was nasty for 2 weeks trying to vacuum and skim a large public pool.  We were constantly getting hit by them up in the lifeguard chairs.  Someone told our staff a horror story about a cicada flying into someone at another pool and injecting eggs into their shoulder.  I'm not sure if that was just an urban myth gone wild, but it scared the shit out of us.  We wore shirts and towels for those 2 weeks while up in the chairs.   

The annual cicadas in Norther Virginia are the big green/white ones.  The 13-17 year broods usually have different markings, like black and red, or black and orange, and tend to be smaller.     
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 09:58:23 PM »

Something I learned during the summer I spent in Greece as a teen - don't sleep in when the cicadas are swarming if you've had too much Ouzo the night before. The sound a swarm of the cicadas they have there is weird, load and totally headache inducing if you're hung over.  icon_mrgreen 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: