http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 02:47:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking bad as good/bad as usual!  (Read 8569 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: November 20, 2013, 04:32:44 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 19, 2013, 11:01:41 PM

I agree with the article, it was weird seeing him not being Walter White.

It will be a while before I can go back and watch Malcolm in the Middle. 

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: November 20, 2013, 06:56:32 AM »

A couple of weeks after Breaking Bad ended we saw Cranston play LBJ in a play called All the Way. I can confirm that the man was entirely convincing and is an amazing actor. It was among the top 3 plays that I've ever seen.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 20, 2013, 07:20:55 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on November 20, 2013, 06:56:32 AM

A couple of weeks after Breaking Bad ended we saw Cranston play LBJ in a play called All the Way. I can confirm that the man was entirely convincing and is an amazing actor. It was among the top 3 plays that I've ever seen.

oh, I don't think he can't do anything else.  It is just weird seeing him as other characters right now.  Even his cameo on How I Met Your Mother was odd.  He owned Walter White so completely it will take time to see him play something else and not expect a goatee and hat smile

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: November 20, 2013, 08:43:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 20, 2013, 07:20:55 AM

Quote from: Ironrod on November 20, 2013, 06:56:32 AM

oh, I don't think he can't do anything else.  It is just weird seeing him as other characters right now.  Even his cameo on How I Met Your Mother was odd.  He owned Walter White so completely it will take time to see him play something else and not expect a goatee and hat smile

He inhabited the role of LBJ so successfully that I quickly forgot that I was watching Bryan Cranston playing a role. That illusion broke only once, when "LBJ" showed a flash of anger that was 100% pure Heisenberg.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 13, 2014, 12:22:17 PM »

Spoils

Season 5 was easily the best season of the show's run. Can't imagine having had to wait a week between episodes.

I'm not a BB nuthugger as I think the first two seasons were pretty mediocre. However, when Gus came on the scene things really started picking up.

Season five took it to a whole new level of tension and depth.  Thought it was just about perfect.

Final episode was excellent and did what it needed to do.

Also, I'm going to say that this show has some of the best directing ever seen on tv.  I would occasionally get annoyed by some of the kooky camera work, but when I settled in and just watched, i realized that it would eventually lead somewhere.

Edit: there were also brave choices in the writing.  Having Gomie killed off screen was very potent...and the show consistently had people die who didn't 'deserve' it.  They did a good job in just a few scenes showing the weight and impact of Hank being killed.

I'd give the overall series a 4/5.  

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:25:14 PM by ATB » Logged
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 13, 2014, 02:09:03 PM »

The episode where
Spoiler for Hiden:
Hank dies
had the most tension of any episode of any show I've ever seen. I agree that things really picked up in Season 3 but from then on every season was incredible; it really makes a difference when the writers know the arc of the show in advance.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 13, 2014, 02:16:59 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 13, 2014, 12:22:17 PM

Spoils

Season 5 was easily the best season of the show's run. Can't imagine having had to wait a week between episodes.

I'm not a BB nuthugger as I think the first two seasons were pretty mediocre. However, when Gus came on the scene things really started picking up.

More spoilsies

Did you know that the Gus character wasn't even part of the original plan?  Tuco was supposed to be the main bad guy for a longer stretch, but the actor had to leave the show because of a conflict with other stuff he was filming.  They invented Gus to be a bad guy as opposite to Tuco's personality as possible, and they liked him so much they kept the character going.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 13, 2014, 02:22:06 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 13, 2014, 02:16:59 PM

Spoils

More spoilsies

Did you know that the Gus character wasn't even part of the original plan?  Tuco was supposed to be the main bad guy for a longer stretch, but the actor had to leave the show because of a conflict with other stuff he was filming.  They invented Gus to be a bad guy as opposite to Tuco's personality as possible, and they liked him so much they kept the character going.

Jesse was supposed to die the first season as well.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: August 13, 2014, 07:06:56 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 13, 2014, 02:16:59 PM

Spoils

More spoilsies

Amazing, but it was for the best.  Tuco was the early crazy guy that you deal with, but you know you can never trust him.  Gus was this business man who you went in thinking you could handle in a conflict, only to reveal how much you under estimated him.  Best bad guy in a long time.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 13, 2014, 08:09:37 PM »

I agree that the first two seasons are a little clunky and formulaic.  I would say that it's the one-two punch of Gus and Saul that not only turned the show around but also opened things up, giving them new avenues to explore.

I'm glad to see these comments here, too, because I made this same statement the other day with three people in various states of watching the series (one was almost done, one about half way through, and the last was thinking about starting).  I mentioned the awkward first couple of seasons as a way of warning the guy not to give up on it (I would have, if people hadn't been raving so hard), but the other two guys looked at me like I'd said something blasphemous.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 13, 2014, 09:18:02 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 13, 2014, 08:09:37 PM

I agree that the first two seasons are a little clunky and formulaic.  I would say that it's the one-two punch of Gus and Saul that not only turned the show around but also opened things up, giving them new avenues to explore.

I'm glad to see these comments here, too, because I made this same statement the other day with three people in various states of watching the series (one was almost done, one about half way through, and the last was thinking about starting).  I mentioned the awkward first couple of seasons as a way of warning the guy not to give up on it (I would have, if people hadn't been raving so hard), but the other two guys looked at me like I'd said something blasphemous.

Saul was critical writing and plot device. Every time regular joe's walt and jesse needed something that a real person would have no idea how to do, it was explained away that Saul had contacts.   Plausible and an easy out for when the writers could have hit a dead end.

But this is also is why I kind of didn't buy that saul was in 'witness protection' at the end.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 18, 2014, 04:40:51 PM »

He can't be in witness protection if they're making a new show where he continues doing business as Saul Goodman, right?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 18, 2014, 05:03:19 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 18, 2014, 04:40:51 PM

He can't be in witness protection if they're making a new show where he continues doing business as Saul Goodman, right?

Was curious, actually, about how they were going to do that...if perhaps the show focuses around Saul BEFORE he meets WW. That would be pretty interesting actually. Show how he connected with Gus and Mike but only as call backs to BB, not main plot points.

Could be an interesting show but I'm not sure it can support the weight of a whole series...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 18, 2014, 06:18:20 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 18, 2014, 05:03:19 PM

Was curious, actually, about how they were going to do that...if perhaps the show focuses around Saul BEFORE he meets WW. That would be pretty interesting actually. Show how he connected with Gus and Mike but only as call backs to BB, not main plot points.

Pretty sure that's the entire premise of "Better Call Saul".  From the Wiki page:

Set in 2002, it focuses on the life of small-time lawyer Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk) six years before his appearance on Breaking Bad, though events during and after the original series will also be explored.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2014, 07:25:12 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 18, 2014, 06:18:20 PM

Set in 2002, it focuses on the life of small-time lawyer Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk) six years before his appearance on Breaking Bad, though events during and after the original series will also be explored.

I should be a fugging screen writer!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: