http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 05:06:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boycott Amazon.com: Purveyor of Pedophile Literature  (Read 3146 times)
Mr. Fed
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2010, 09:48:11 PM »

Randazza is right.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2010, 02:28:09 PM »

The books seems like a valid reason for a Judge to authorize surveillance, or search warrants. Of course, more legal minded people probably have more say on that.

If they find good evidence from those legal searches, then bring him in and charge him with something that will stick and take him off the streets for a longer period.

Arresting this sick moron on obscenity really does nothing at all besides make some short sighted police official seem like the good guy for a few days.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2010, 02:36:55 PM »

There's a link in the comments that indicates the pedophile handbook has been put back on the shelves with this link.

I peed a little.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2010, 03:54:05 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 21, 2010, 02:28:09 PM

The books seems like a valid reason for a Judge to authorize surveillance, or search warrants. .

The book is probable cause to believe that a specific location contains evidence of a specific crime?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2010, 04:13:46 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on December 21, 2010, 03:54:05 PM

Quote from: Turtle on December 21, 2010, 02:28:09 PM

The books seems like a valid reason for a Judge to authorize surveillance, or search warrants. .

The book is probable cause to believe that a specific location contains evidence of a specific crime?

Turtle pointed out that you'd chime in. slywink

I think the point is that the behaviour of publishing a book on pedophilia *may* be just cause to have his name/location registered, and since it isn't listed as fiction to then also call him in front of a judge and tried based on his own supplied evidence.

The police should be investigating any contact he's had with children etc, and watching for any further contact.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2010, 04:33:48 PM »

I'm pretty sure that in most locales, this:

Quote from: Purge on December 21, 2010, 04:13:46 PM

have his name/location registered

would have to come after this:

call him in front of a judge and tried

assuming that he gets convicted of an appropriate crime that would put him on such a registry.

Currently, I'm pretty sure that his legal standing is Innocent But Really Creepy.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2010, 04:40:37 PM »

Quote from: Shinjin on December 21, 2010, 04:33:48 PM

I'm pretty sure that in most locales, this:

Quote from: Purge on December 21, 2010, 04:13:46 PM

have his name/location registered

would have to come after this:

call him in front of a judge and tried

assuming that he gets convicted of an appropriate crime that would put him on such a registry.

Currently, I'm pretty sure that his legal standing is Innocent But Really Creepy.

Registry doesn't require conviction. It's generally heard in front of a different panel. (at least here it is).

I know someone who's gone through a horrid family law nightmare, and his ex has him lined up to get on the child abuse registry for uttering threats (unfounded).

The person can defend themselves against the claim- but since just a simple threat (hearsay) can get you on it, I imagine the publication of said material is pretty damned hard to argue against.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2010, 06:38:43 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 21, 2010, 02:36:55 PM

There's a link in the comments that indicates the pedophile handbook has been put back on the shelves with this link.

I peed a little.

LOL icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2010, 06:48:11 PM »

Once this scumbag is cleaned up we should create some sort of registry of people we just think seem creepy, and the cops should put them under surveillance.  Maybe put all mexicans on there too, just to be safe. You know, for kids.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2010, 07:13:24 PM »

Quote from: kratz on December 21, 2010, 06:48:11 PM

Once this scumbag is cleaned up we should create some sort of registry of people we just think seem creepy, and the cops should put them under surveillance.  Maybe put all mexicans on there too, just to be safe. You know, for kids.

I am so fucked.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »

Don't forget the Germans, Indians, Asians, Africans, Samoans, and anyone from the south, west, mid-west, and Canada.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2010, 08:51:43 PM »

Once this scumbag is cleaned up we should create some sort of registry of people we just think seem creepy, and the cops should put them under surveillance.  Maybe put all mexicans on there too, just to be safe. You know, for kids.

Ethic diversity != ethNic diversity.

Also, police officers are civil servants. Do you not think they should be protecting children from child molesters?

When someone wearing a hoodie walks into a 7-11 and hangs around away from clerks and mirrors, is it wrong for the staff to then focus their attention on what is clearly questionable behaviour?

Note I did not say tackle, punch, subdue, or otherwise stuff in a burlap sack and throw in the river 'cuz you know, perhaps I wasn't being clear. It might of been because of all these damned u's that appear in my words, or my distinctive Canadian typing accent, eh.

* Purge removes his tongue from its firm planting in cheek.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2010, 09:01:48 PM »

Do you think that the cops aren't already paying attention to this guy?

We can't arrest people in this country because of what we think they *might* do.  If we start with this cocksucker, where does that put us?  What does that say about us as a society?  It's easy to say 'it says we don't cotton to pederasts!', but that's already the case...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:03:24 PM by kratz » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2010, 09:04:10 PM »

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2010, 09:04:41 PM »

Quote from: kratz on December 21, 2010, 09:01:48 PM

Do you think that the cops aren't already paying attention to this guy?

We can't arrest people in this country because of what we think they *might* do.  If we start with this [little] cocksucker, where does it end?

I didn't say arrest. That being said, why would this not be grounds for a search warrant. By his own admission (as seen through the action of writing a book on the subject) he has a sexual interest in children. Perhaps a psych evaluation? My comments are not fueled by hatred; clearly the man needs help since he's fallen off the social boat. If you have a fox in the hen-house, you don't need to kill it, but you certainly need to make sure it cannot continue to do harm.

Knowing that this is a guide for how NOT to get yourself in trouble, it won't work and he'll be vindicated. Or he will have fucked up somewhere, and then they get to nail this guy fair and square. Be that as it may, I don't agree with Florida Cook County actions.

Also, you missed a word above. I have added it for you in the quoted text for completeness.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:08:06 PM by Purge » Logged

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2010, 09:10:26 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 20, 2010, 07:38:04 PM

thumbsdown

Do you think everyone who writes about how to perform illegal acts should be arrested, too?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2010, 09:16:26 PM »

You quote fast... I had elaborated.

Why WOULD this be grounds for a search warrant?  Having a sexual interest in children isn't against the law (as fucked up as it may be).  Acting on it is... if we have reason to believe that he is acting on it, or attempting to act on it, then we can get search warrants, arrest warrants, etc.

We don't get to pick and choose the circumstances under which we want to allow free speech.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2010, 10:15:09 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 21, 2010, 09:04:41 PM

That being said, why would this not be grounds for a search warrant. By his own admission (as seen through the action of writing a book on the subject) he has a sexual interest in children.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Practically speaking, a search warrant must* establish probable cause that the specified location has specified evidence of a specified crime.  If I stand up in public and say "gosh, I sure like to rob banks," absent evidence of a particular bank robbery to which I can be tied, there is not probable cause to believe that my house has specified evidence of a bank robbery.    

"Based on this book, he's in favor of molesting kids, and therefore we think he might have abused a kid at some point, we don't know where or when or who and maybe there's some sort of evidence of it in his house?" is not probable cause.

Edit:  A better example:  people who write essays on the internet saying that piracy should be legal do not create probable cause to search their homes.

*That's the rule of law.  However, at least in state court, it's childishly easy to get a search warrant based on any crock of bullshit, because many state judges are third-rate hacks, cravens afraid of offending the cops and DA, or empty-headed rah-rah-law-and-order-rights-are-for-the-ACLU types.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2010, 10:18:59 PM »

Imagine this: Every time someone posts about smoking a joint, the cops trace down their IP address (and check other recent traffic of theirs in case the suspect has further advocated drug use elsewhere) and force the person to go through a full drug test.

If anyone here thinks the above sounds fucked up, but still supports arresting or investigating the author of the book in question, you're a fucking hypocrite.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2010, 10:25:04 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 21, 2010, 10:18:59 PM

Imagine this: Every time someone posts about smoking a joint, the cops trace down their IP address (and check other recent traffic of theirs in case the suspect has further advocated drug use elsewhere) and force the person to go through a full drug test.

If anyone here thinks the above sounds fucked up, but still supports arresting or investigating the author of the book in question, you're a fucking hypocrite.

BUT BUT BUT CHILLLLDDRUUUUUUUUUNNNNN!

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2010, 10:29:24 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 21, 2010, 10:18:59 PM

They're not NECESSARILY hypocrites.  They might just be retarded.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2010, 10:31:08 PM »

You're all on crack!

Have fun with the drug testing  icon_twisted Tongue

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2010, 03:47:52 AM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on December 21, 2010, 10:15:09 PM

Quote from: Purge on December 21, 2010, 09:04:41 PM

That being said, why would this not be grounds for a search warrant. By his own admission (as seen through the action of writing a book on the subject) he has a sexual interest in children.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Practically speaking, a search warrant must* establish probable cause that the specified location has specified evidence of a specified crime.  If I stand up in public and say "gosh, I sure like to rob banks," absent evidence of a particular bank robbery to which I can be tied, there is not probable cause to believe that my house has specified evidence of a bank robbery.   

"Based on this book, he's in favor of molesting kids, and therefore we think he might have abused a kid at some point, we don't know where or when or who and maybe there's some sort of evidence of it in his house?" is not probable cause.

Edit:  A better example:  people who write essays on the internet saying that piracy should be legal do not create probable cause to search their homes.

*That's the rule of law.  However, at least in state court, it's childishly easy to get a search warrant based on any crock of bullshit, because many state judges are third-rate hacks, cravens afraid of offending the cops and DA, or empty-headed rah-rah-law-and-order-rights-are-for-the-ACLU types.

He didn't just say in a bar somewhere to someone "I'm a pedophile." He placed a body of work into public domain for the express use to circumvent law, and stood to profit from it. The activity therein is illegal in nature. I'm all for free speech, but there is *probable cause* to think that this guy, in his home, has some sort of reference material to write this book. Also, he clearly has that interest.

Barring no action can be taken (which just makes him laugh out of the OTHER side of his mouth), perhaps someone should buy the book, go through all the outlined loopholes, and CLOSE THEM.

But that would only make sense.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2010, 03:48:21 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 21, 2010, 10:31:08 PM

You're all on crack!

Have fun with the drug testing  icon_twisted Tongue

I admit to being "on crack" - but that's because I'm sitting.

Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2010, 04:55:04 AM »

Quote from: Purge on December 22, 2010, 03:47:52 AM

He didn't just say in a bar somewhere to someone "I'm a pedophile." He placed a body of work into public domain for the express use to circumvent law, and stood to profit from it. The activity therein is illegal in nature. I'm all for free speech, but there is *probable cause* to think that this guy, in his home, has some sort of reference material to write this book. Also, he clearly has that interest.

OK. 

Exactly what crime is there probable cause to believe he has committed?

Exactly what evidence of that offense do you expect to find in his house?  Exactly what kind of "reference material" do you expect to find, and exactly how is it evidence of a crime?

And I assume that means that if someone writes a web post about how to grow marijuana, or how to use torrents to download pirated movies or songs, that's probable cause to search their home?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: