http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 08:14:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: One or the other:
Boss you love and pretty ok salary - 30 (73.2%)
Boss you hate and double the salary - 11 (26.8%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boss Satisfaction vs. Salary Satisfaction  (Read 1117 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2011, 05:59:34 PM »

So a, uh, friend of mine saw an internal job posting he'd probably be a shoe-in for but from personal experience he knows the boss is a huge pain in the ass to work with.  This is not an uncommon opinion.

Said friend just found out the new job would likely be double his current salary (no significant job title change).

This friend is torn.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »

I put boss you love and ok salary, but I think it's very situational. How much time does your "friend" spend at "his" job? Having a bad time at work can really spread to your home life in the form of stress, long hours, not wanting to get up in the morning, etc. If your friend can still like "his" job but just has a kind of annoying boss, that money can buy a lot of happiness. I mean, double salary is a big positive life change. Especially if your "friend" has "kids".

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 06:25:09 PM »

Wait...are we talking about you?  I have to know before I answer. slywink

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »

I have a very comfortable income but loath my boss.  I'm looking for another job...
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 06:49:32 PM »

Having a boss you love means that you have a job you'll love, or at least tolerate. If a place where you spend a large chunk of your life makes you happy or at least content, why trade that for money? Now, if the guy really, really needs the money, maybe. But if he's at least mildly comfortable, why walk into a bad situation on purpose?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »

Hate is subjective. Moolah isn't. Compromise yourself, er theirself, and start brown-nosing now.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 07:40:57 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on March 15, 2011, 06:43:18 PM

I have a very comfortable income but loath my boss.  I'm looking for another job...

I am in a similar situation.  I just received a sizable pay raise and make pretty good money, but it hasn't helped me be any happier at work on a daily basis.  I am looking for another job.

I read an article one time that basically said researchers had found that once you are above a certain pay scale (so you can pay all of your bills comfortably and such), if you are unhappy with your job getting more money doesn't actually improve happiness significantly.  Over the last couple years I would say I have found that to be pretty true for both myself and others around me.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 08:54:38 PM »

Eh...good bosses come and go but the extra money always helps (at least in my pay bracket).  I can't say I wouldn't prefer a nice and competent boss but the fact is I would be moving on pretty quickly with a crappy boss and my new job would be based on the foundation of the much higher salary/benefits.  If I was in six figures then maybe it would make a difference the other way but there's a huge difference going from 20k to 40k vs 80k to 160k smile
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 09:02:47 PM »

If you can get the job, your next step is a promotion to taking that guy's job. If you can't stand em, get em fired.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 01:44:37 PM »

Its really hard to answer such a general question like this.  As mentioned earlier, this is highly situational.  Still, unless the boss I didnt like was actively jeopardizing my employment, Id probably take the money and live with it.  Especially at double the salary.  Ive always looked at a job as a job, not a social event.  While you dont have to like the people you work with ( though it certainly helps ), you do have to be able to do your job in the given environment. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »

it would suck to take a job with a boss you like and OK pay only to have said boss be fired/transferred a month or so down the road.  when I was in Bawlmore I had the chance to take a job with a person who I utterly despised but good pay, but stuck with the job I had and liked, and ended up unemployed a few months later.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:29:15 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 02:44:29 PM »

Thanks for all the input so far.

Regarding some of the specifics: good boss is well entrenched and wouldn't be disappearing any time soon.  The rest of the team associated with current good boss is all mostly awesome as well.

New boss would be more of a 1 on 1 relationship, no real other team.  Also there would not be any hope of bad boss leaving any time soon, nor of taking the place of bad boss ever.

As Teggy predicted (HE'S SOME KIND OF WIZARD) this hypothetical friend does indeed have a new kid in the mix which makes the prospect of more money extremely appealing.  This bad boss really does polarly oppose wonderfriend's moral code in almost every way possible, though.  Wonderfriend is also a full time student while maintaining a full time job and a new baby, so the current low-stress pleasant work environment is a huge blessing.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 16, 2011, 02:44:29 PM

As Teggy predicted (HE'S SOME KIND OF WIZARD) this hypothetical friend does indeed have a new kid in the mix which makes the prospect of more money extremely appealing.  This bad boss really does polarly oppose wonderfriend's moral code in almost every way possible, though.  Wonderfriend is also a full time student while maintaining a full time job and a new baby, so the current low-stress pleasant work environment is a huge blessing.

One important point would be to figure out how bad boss would react in situations where wonderfulfriend needs to leave early or take unexpected leave from work because of the baby or because of school. I know my boss was a little critical of the fact that I had to leave for baby doctor visits or unexpected baby sickness. Until I straightened him out and let him know that I still got my work done and our clients were still very happy with my work  nod.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 04:23:23 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug link=topic=43759.msg774579#msg774579
  Wonderfriend is also a full time student while maintaining a full time job and a new baby, so the current low-stress pleasant work environment is a huge blessing.

Really? What is Wonderfriend studying?

Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »

Bosses are like in-laws......you don't get to pick them.....but you have to learn to live with them.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 06:40:16 AM »

I went with "boss you hate and double the salary".  Accidents happen, you know. Sometimes they need a little help along the way, but they do happen.  ninja

Or, you can drop some LSD into his morning coffee and have you and his other unhappy subordinates act out a re-telling of "A Christmas Carol".  If he doesn't transition into the Ebenezer Scrooge turnaround, you can resort to the accident advice previously noted.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 07:16:58 PM »

Quote from: Biyobi on March 17, 2011, 06:40:16 AM

I went with "boss you hate and double the salary".  Accidents happen, you know. Sometimes they need a little help along the way, but they do happen.  ninja

Or, you can drop some LSD into his morning coffee and have you and his other unhappy subordinates act out a re-telling of "A Christmas Carol".  If he doesn't transition into the Ebenezer Scrooge turnaround, you can resort to the accident advice previously noted.

Or report him for drug abuse.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 12:08:59 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 16, 2011, 02:44:29 PM

Thanks for all the input so far.

Regarding some of the specifics: good boss is well entrenched and wouldn't be disappearing any time soon.  The rest of the team associated with current good boss is all mostly awesome as well.

New boss would be more of a 1 on 1 relationship, no real other team.  Also there would not be any hope of bad boss leaving any time soon, nor of taking the place of bad boss ever.

I think with the details you provided I'd stick with my vote of going with good boss and less pay.  Honestly having a good boss is worth more $ than you can imagine, if only for a healthier and happier day to day life.  I've had a mix of bosses in my time, but only one of them really stands out as a really good boss, and that was definitely (not a coincidence) the best job I've had.  For me, the most important things in a job are the work itself, the co-workers, salary and boss, not necessarily in that priority order.  I've learned never to underestimate any one of those factors.  In one job, I had the most challenging/interesting work with a good salary, but the people were like a bunch of robots and the boss was kind of scary.  I absolutely hated that job.  My current job the salary is great, the people in the core group are great, but the work is slow and boring, boss is lame, so it's essentially a tossup.  I'd probably leave for more interesting work if I could guarantee somehow a better boss and/or co-workers.

I know times are tough and double the salary really can sound enticing, but factoring in the last 2 sentences above from pug make it seem like a no-brainer.  Too many things can go wrong (boss could piss him off, boss could force him to work more, boss could try to get him fired, etc etc), or (perhaps worse) he might just grow unhappy and depressed every day - either way over the longer term he and his family and baby will all suffer because of it. 
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 05:11:41 PM »

I would say after what I'm kinda going through right now, don't give up happiness for money.   Left a job I was really happy in for more money.  I thought I would be happy where I went.  A few years later , I am miserable and would gladly go back to the job making less money just to be happy about going to work again.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 01:03:54 AM »

To reiterate a couple of points in this thread and maybe add a few of my own.

1)  It really depends on whether or not the money is life changing.  If it is, you certainly have to take it.  Sure you work 40-50 hours a week, but that leaves over 100 where you aren't working.  Double the money may have a significant impact on you and your families lives both in the short term and the long term.  One of the most underestimated things in life is having a nest-egg of 'fuck off' money in the bank.  I try to keep 8-12 months of living expenses liquid so if something at work makes me want to say FUCK YOU, I can do so without any stress at all.  It's greatly contributed to the quality of my work life.  Making 2x the money makes generating that nest-egg much easier to obtain.  Secondly, a large amount of savings opens up opportunities to make life even better in the future.  Whether that's the house of your dreams, the ability to invest in something with a high risk/reward, or maybe even starting your business or doing something you love... those sorts of things greatly increase your quality of life.  Gotta do it.  I'll genuinely never understand the people who say that doing something they love is more important than making huge amounts of money.  Bullshit on that.  You work 40-50 hours a week.  Work, no matter WHAT it is generally sucks balls.  Might as well do whatever it takes in those 8 hours a day to enjoy the 8 hours of night and 48 hours of weekend you get to yourself as much as possible.  As a good friend of mine says 'If I'm getting paid a lot of money, I can put up with a LOT of bullshit.  If I'm getting paid nothing, I can put up with nothing.'

2)  I never make a future work decision based upon how much I love my current boss.  Bosses change.  I know you stated that his position is pretty secure, but there is nothing stopping HIM from taking the bigger/better offer someday and that leaves you with less money and potentially a just as shitty boss.  I speak from experience on that one.  My very first job out of college, I passed up a transfer which paid more and had a better long-term career trajectory (from sales operations into finance) because I enjoyed working for my boss and felt I was learning a lot from the guy.  Four months later, he's gone and I'm stuck with the old job AND a new boss I didn't get on with.  Thankfully for me I was close enough with the CEO to broker a transfer into another job, but it could've been disastrous if not.

3)  Lastly, 2x is a pretty big multiple.  If you are actually able to double what you make given your experience and qualifications, you can bet your management (and their management) knows it and has some concerns that either a) you're apathetic about career advancement, b) you are biding your time for another opportunity, or c) you are waiting for an opportunity outside of the company.  None of these thoughts bodes well for your future career in your current position.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 06:56:59 PM »

Epilogue

I ended up going with the invisible poll option #3: boss you love and more money

Not as much money as that new position, but it is more and I get a shinier job title and I won't be doing anything differently than I did before.  Basically the conversations about investigating the new position led to 'well how could we keep you here' conversations, and a promotion is where it ended up. 

That other position turned out to be more annoying a role than I thought it would be, and the 'bad' boss continued to do aggravating things these past weeks, so really this outcome is just perfect.

I do appreciate all the opinions shared in the thread!  It was very helpful to hear thoughts from both sides.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 10:17:47 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 13, 2011, 06:56:59 PM

Epilogue

I ended up going with the invisible poll option #3: boss you love and more money

Not as much money as that new position, but it is more and I get a shinier job title and I won't be doing anything differently than I did before.  Basically the conversations about investigating the new position led to 'well how could we keep you here' conversations, and a promotion is where it ended up. 

That other position turned out to be more annoying a role than I thought it would be, and the 'bad' boss continued to do aggravating things these past weeks, so really this outcome is just perfect.

I do appreciate all the opinions shared in the thread!  It was very helpful to hear thoughts from both sides.

Congrats Pug!!!  That was definitely the option I was hoping for for you!!!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 02:36:07 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 13, 2011, 06:56:59 PM

Epilogue

Congrats! - didn't know why I didn't think of the "play one off the other" option.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: