http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 11:47:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: O'REILLY HIT WITH SEX HARASS SUIT  (Read 3054 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2850


Gamertag: St0ckBroker


View Profile
« on: October 13, 2004, 09:21:32 PM »

Wow.

I hope it isn't true.

I find it hard to believe myself.
Logged
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2850


Gamertag: St0ckBroker


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 09:22:25 PM »

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1013043mackris1.html


He is claiming extortion:

http://www.drudgereport.com/fox.htm
Logged
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 396


View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 09:22:51 PM »

Actually, he was being extorted for $60 Million.  He filed a suit against the people trying to blackmail him.
Logged

Byrns
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 78


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 09:23:27 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Wow.

I hope it isn't true.

I find it hard to believe myself.


No doubt!


What are we talking about again?

Nevermind you edited it.
Logged
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2850


Gamertag: St0ckBroker


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 09:25:29 PM »

Quote from: "Byrns"
Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Wow.

I hope it isn't true.

I find it hard to believe myself.


No doubt!


What are we talking about again?

Nevermind you edited it.

LOL, sry smile
Logged
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2850


Gamertag: St0ckBroker


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 09:31:17 PM »

nt
Logged
Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 723


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 09:38:19 PM »

http://www.sweetjesusihatebilloreilly.com/

biggrin

s
Logged

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
SuperHiro
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1199

Pants on Fire


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 09:42:48 PM »

O'Reilly really needs to work on his sex talk.

His screed about Al Franken was both frightening AND hilarious. I'm going to have a hard time taking him seriously now.
Logged

Just Hiro will do.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2850


Gamertag: St0ckBroker


View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 09:48:50 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
O'Reilly really needs to work on his sex talk.

His screed about Al Franken was both frightening AND hilarious. I'm going to have a hard time taking him seriously now.


I would hold that thought until the "tapes" come out.  Afterall, the law firm has ties to the DNC and the timing is suspect.

If its true though, I agree, he is finished.  

I find it hard to believe he talked like that to anyone though.
Logged
SuperHiro
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1199

Pants on Fire


View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 09:51:21 PM »

Why would the DNC attack O'Reilly? Hasn't he actually been ripping the administration over the war/occupation?

If the DNC needed to take someone down over there I'd aim for Hannity.
Logged

Just Hiro will do.
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 450


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 10:16:16 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
Why would the DNC attack O'Reilly? Hasn't he actually been ripping the administration over the war/occupation?

If the DNC needed to take someone down over there I'd aim for Hannity.


Nah, I would have them take on Fox's chief political correspondent and lead reporter on the Kerry beat: Carl Cameron.  Talk about the oxymoronic use of Fair & Balanced.  Cameron is the guy who's wife has done campaign work for Bush, is featured prominently in OutFoxed brown-nosing Bush and then just recently got busted for posting a fictitious story including fabricated quotes by Kerry that clearly revealed he has no ability to cover Kerry as a decent journalist, nor any right to be their chief political correspondent (it was a satirical piece that somehow "accidentally" got posted to the Fox website).  CNN and the SF Chron have both kept reporters off of their political beats for minor involvement with Dems that pales in comparison to Cameron's overt partisan cheer leading for the Bush camp.

Oh and SuperHiro is mostly right.  Bill hasn't been pimping the Bush admin lately, if anything he has had some negative things to say about them recently.  Not that it makes me like the guy any better, LOL.   Tongue
Logged

olaf
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 582


View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 11:09:00 PM »

Ouch.  I wonder when he will talk about this.

olaf
Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7848


Hard partier


View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 11:15:36 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"


Greatest. URL. Evah. biggrin

I have no love for the guy, and he's a blowhard egomaniac as everyone pretty much agrees. But that's just the funniest website name I've seen in a long, long time.  thumbsup  thumbsup
Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2850


Gamertag: St0ckBroker


View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 11:23:56 PM »

Quote
Ouch. I wonder when he will talk about this.

olaf


He has smile


Quote
Talking Points Memo
Enough is enough

Hi, I'm Bill O'Reilly... thanks for watching us tonight... we are living in treacherous times. That's the subject of this evening's Talking Points Memo.

Just about every famous person I know has been threatened and worked over by somebody. Fame makes you a target... it is something that has to be taken seriously. As I've mentioned before, I have received many threats over the years... everything from death letters to some guy running around the country offering people $25 thousand to sign affidavits accusing me of whatever.

The lawyers here at Fox News have been great in dealing with these situations... although the stuff printed on websites remain almost impossible do deal with. But there comes a time when enough's enough.... and so this morning I had to file a lawsuit against some people who are demanding $60 million, or they will "punish me and Fox News."

$60 million.

In a case like this, you have to fight, even at some risk. These people trying to extort this money from us will lob all kinds of charges, knowing that some in the press who don't like me or Fox News will gleefully pick the stuff up. But in the end the justice system will take care of this situation... I have to believe that, because I am simply not going to allow these people to extort me, or anyone else.

Obviously, I can't get into specifics as the litigation is in motion, but I do respect my audience and feel you should know exactly what's going on. This is the single most evil thing I have ever experienced... and I've seen a lot. But these people picked the wrong guy. They can throw anything they want at me, I'll take it. And in the end... we'll see who's left standing. And that's the memo.


I believe him.

[/quote]
Logged
Biyobi
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 718


View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 11:37:14 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Quote
Ouch. I wonder when he will talk about this.

olaf


He has smile


Quote
Talking Points Memo
Enough is enough

Hi, I'm Bill O'Reilly... thanks for watching us tonight... we are living in treacherous times. That's the subject of this evening's Talking Points Memo.

Just about every famous person I know has been threatened and worked over by somebody. Fame makes you a target... it is something that has to be taken seriously. As I've mentioned before, I have received many threats over the years... everything from death letters to some guy running around the country offering people $25 thousand to sign affidavits accusing me of whatever.

The lawyers here at Fox News have been great in dealing with these situations... although the stuff printed on websites remain almost impossible do deal with. But there comes a time when enough's enough.... and so this morning I had to file a lawsuit against some people who are demanding $60 million, or they will "punish me and Fox News."

$60 million.

In a case like this, you have to fight, even at some risk. These people trying to extort this money from us will lob all kinds of charges, knowing that some in the press who don't like me or Fox News will gleefully pick the stuff up. But in the end the justice system will take care of this situation... I have to believe that, because I am simply not going to allow these people to extort me, or anyone else.

Obviously, I can't get into specifics as the litigation is in motion, but I do respect my audience and feel you should know exactly what's going on. This is the single most evil thing I have ever experienced... and I've seen a lot. But these people picked the wrong guy. They can throw anything they want at me, I'll take it. And in the end... we'll see who's left standing. And that's the memo.


I believe him.


Is requesting an out of court, out of the press settlement of (from what I've seen) a legitimate sexual harrassment claim extortion?  While I find the amount absurd in the extreme, there are claims in her lawsuit that he he didn't refute.  This definitely a "need more information" type of situation.
Logged
SuperHiro
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1199

Pants on Fire


View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 01:07:46 AM »

I didn't believe Kobe, and I don't believe O'Reilly.
Logged

Just Hiro will do.
SkyLander
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1875



View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 04:53:20 AM »

I loved this quote off of fark.com

Quote

o'reilly claimed he received a massage in a cabana in Bali and the "little short brown woman" asked to see his penis and was "amazed."

that's.. just... wow.
Logged

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
draegun
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 58


View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2004, 12:40:54 PM »

As if the DNC does anything logical.  Look at their presidential candidate -- oops!  smacks of politics  :oops:
Logged
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2850


Gamertag: St0ckBroker


View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2004, 01:29:44 PM »

#1. Just 3 weeks before the attempted extortion, the woman emailed a friend at CNN that she was "surrounded by really good, fun people" and that "i'm home and i'll never leave again". Does that sound like a women suffering pervasive, perverse, sexual harassment?

#2. Morelli, his firm, and his wife are supporters of the democrats, giving democrat candidates tens of thousands of dollars in the last four years alone. Morelli is a long-time Kerry supporter, giving Kerry's campaign $2,000 as early as 1995.
http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/search.asp?NumOfThou=0&txtName=Morelli%2C+benedict&txtState=NY&txtZip=&txtEmploy=&txtCand=&txt2004=Y&txt2002=Y&txt2000=Y&Order=N
http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/search.asp?NumOfThou=0&txtName=Morelli%2C+arlene&txtState=NY&txtZip=&txtEmploy=&txtCand=&txt2004=Y&txt2002=Y&txt2000=Y&Order=N

#3. The lawsuit is timed to coincide with the Presidential election, literally an "october suprise". Considering the alleged harassment began over two years ago and the woman never complained, it boggles the mind that she would willingly subject herself to the abuse for over two years, only to finally take a stand in the final weeks of a Presidential election.

#4. Company policy requires employees who believe they have been sexually harassed to report the incident as soon as possible.

#5. The woman continued to choose to meet with O'Reilly alone outside of work despite allegedly being harassed on such occasions.

#6. The woman threatened to leave FOX if she didn't get a raise and got one. Later she left FOX for CNN, making it clear her decision was motivated by a higher salary. She then agreed to return to FOX if they matched her CNN salary. Not once did she complain of a hostile workplace. Her sole concern was money.

The irony of all this is that this greedy woman will never work in the media again. No employer will take the risk that she might try to set up a lawsuit against them as well.
Logged
Phouka
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 12


View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2004, 06:07:16 PM »

How do you force someone into phone sex?

Pooks
Logged
Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 723


View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2004, 06:10:42 PM »

Quote from: "Phouka"
How do you force someone into phone sex?

Pooks

Well you see, when you have the shear, raw sexual energy of Bill O'Reilly... er... yeah, I have no idea either.

s
Logged

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Greggy_D
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1093


View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2004, 07:37:17 PM »

This chick could have hung up the phone at any time but yet she kept listening, on multiple occasions?  BS.

As pointed out above, she kept going to dinner with the guy.  She's full of it.
Logged
Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 723


View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2004, 07:48:46 PM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"
This chick could have hung up the phone at any time but yet she kept listening, on multiple occasions?  BS.

As pointed out above, she kept going to dinner with the guy.  She's full of it.

I'd say it's one of two thing... either you're right and it's BS, or she was just making sure she had plenty of taped evidence. smile

Regardless of what I may think of the guy though, if this does end up being false accusations, well that just sucks and it's a very tough situation to be in.

s
Logged

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 450


View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2004, 07:59:37 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
Quote from: "Phouka"
How do you force someone into phone sex?

Pooks

Well you see, when you have the shear, raw sexual energy of Bill O'Reilly... er... yeah, I have no idea either.

s


Knowing a women who was on the receiving end of a series of sexually harassing calls I would say short of changing your phone number it can be difficult to stop and can also vouch that it can be quite emotionally devastating for some folks to be on the receiving end of this kind of stuff.  Especially if it's your boss who also happens to be one of the most important people in your field today.  If Bill did what is alleged he should pay the piper, but if not then that really does suck for him.  

The one interesting angle on this I have not seen pursued in this thread much is more of how much she allegedly asked Bill for to make the case go away.  It's not extortion if you ask for someone to settle out of court for an amount that they might get in court anyways, but if the $60 million figure is correct then Bill might have a case for extortion.  I can't imagine a jury giving that level of damages in a case like this, but then unlike many around here I'm no lawyer.  What I am getting at is they both could be right: Bill was sexually harassing her and she attempted to extort an unreasonable settlement out of Bill for the harassment.  Of course none of us know all the facts yet, but if she does indeed have tapes this could be incredibly damaging for Bill.
Logged

Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 723


View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2004, 08:15:27 PM »

Quote from: "Enough"
Quote from: "Sepiche"
Quote from: "Phouka"
How do you force someone into phone sex?

Pooks

Well you see, when you have the shear, raw sexual energy of Bill O'Reilly... er... yeah, I have no idea either.

s


Knowing a women who was on the receiving end of a series of sexually harassing calls I would say short of changing your phone number it can be difficult to stop and can also vouch that it can be quite emotionally devastating for some folks to be on the receiving end of this kind of stuff.  Especially if it's your boss who also happens to be one of the most important people in your field today.  If Bill did what is alleged he should pay the piper, but if not then that really does suck for him.  

The one interesting angle on this I have not seen pursued in this thread much is more of how much she allegedly asked Bill for to make the case go away.  It's not extortion if you ask for someone to settle out of court for an amount that they might get in court anyways, but if the $60 million figure is correct then Bill might have a case for extortion.  I can't imagine a jury giving that level of damages in a case like this, but then unlike many around here I'm no lawyer.  What I am getting at is they both could be right: Bill was sexually harassing her and she attempted to extort an unreasonable settlement out of Bill for the harassment.  Of course none of us know all the facts yet, but if she does indeed have tapes this could be incredibly damaging for Bill.


That's an excellent point.  I'd be inclined to guess that it being extortion or not hinges on how it was brought to his attention.  If it was an honest attempt to settle out of court as opposed to "pay me or I go public"...

That said, I'm not a lawyer myself, so perhaps an over the top amount like that might be considered extortion.

... I was curious enough I just shot off an email to a friend of mine in law school.  I'll be curious to see what he says.

s
Logged

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11755



View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2004, 08:26:08 PM »

God forbid now days if a man finds a woman attractive and says something to her. Oh my poor little ears. Theres a saying kids used to learn in kindergarten.."sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me"....wimpy women these days.
Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Anonymous Bosch
Welcome to Gaming Trend

Offline Offline

Posts: 4


View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2004, 08:44:36 PM »

If this woman's accusations aren't political, can someone explain what George W. Bush and the Republican Party had to do with her sexual harrassment?

From The Smoking Gun, on page 2 and page 3 of her complaint (emphasis added by yours truly):

Quote
11.  At all times mentioned herein, Defendant BILL O'REILLY was and is the host and "star" of "The O'Reilly Factor." "The O'Reilly Factor" is broadcast on cable television throughout the United States by the Defendants FOX. "The O'Reilly Factor" is broadcast on radio throughout the United States by Defendant WESTWOOD ONE. Defendants FOX, WESTWOOD ONE and BILL O'REILLY utilize this forum to preach the principles of the so-called "compassionate conservatism" espoused by George W. Bush and the Republican Party. The Defendants also use this forum to preach their belief in family values and to bemoan the moral decline of politicians and others in positions of power.
Logged

"Sometimes life seems like a dream, especially when I look down and see that I forgot to put on my pants."
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 119


View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2004, 11:19:56 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
#1. Just 3 weeks before the attempted extortion, the woman emailed a friend at CNN that she was "surrounded by really good, fun people" and that "i'm home and i'll never leave again". Does that sound like a women suffering pervasive, perverse, sexual harassment?

#2. Morelli, his firm, and his wife are supporters of the democrats, giving democrat candidates tens of thousands of dollars in the last four years alone. Morelli is a long-time Kerry supporter, giving Kerry's campaign $2,000 as early as 1995.
http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/search.asp?NumOfThou=0&txtName=Morelli%2C+benedict&txtState=NY&txtZip=&txtEmploy=&txtCand=&txt2004=Y&txt2002=Y&txt2000=Y&Order=N
http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/search.asp?NumOfThou=0&txtName=Morelli%2C+arlene&txtState=NY&txtZip=&txtEmploy=&txtCand=&txt2004=Y&txt2002=Y&txt2000=Y&Order=N

#3. The lawsuit is timed to coincide with the Presidential election, literally an "october suprise". Considering the alleged harassment began over two years ago and the woman never complained, it boggles the mind that she would willingly subject herself to the abuse for over two years, only to finally take a stand in the final weeks of a Presidential election.

#4. Company policy requires employees who believe they have been sexually harassed to report the incident as soon as possible.

#5. The woman continued to choose to meet with O'Reilly alone outside of work despite allegedly being harassed on such occasions.

#6. The woman threatened to leave FOX if she didn't get a raise and got one. Later she left FOX for CNN, making it clear her decision was motivated by a higher salary. She then agreed to return to FOX if they matched her CNN salary. Not once did she complain of a hostile workplace. Her sole concern was money.

The irony of all this is that this greedy woman will never work in the media again. No employer will take the risk that she might try to set up a lawsuit against them as well.



1- She has said several times that she was very happy with her work situation... you can still like your job and everyone else at the job and still absolutely despise your boss.

2- You're right... the woman should have found a good, Republican lawyer to bring this case to court. The woman is actually a Republican as well.... if you didn't know.

3- Did you read the full court document? O'Reilly repeatedly states that he would absolutely ruin any woman that ever spoke out against him. He even alluded to putting a hit out on Al Franken. Would you even consider that she might have been scared of what he would do to her?

4- See above

5- O'Reilly was her boss... the document states that she was going out to dinner with him because of this fact. And, she repeatedly asked him to not harass her. If you read the full document, you'd see that in the later dinners, she only agreed to go if O'Reilly promised not to harass her with sexual remarks.

6- If you read the document, she only agreed to come back if O'Reilly promised to stop the harassment.



Granted, this whole thing may have been made up by this woman... we won't know until we hear tapes.

The most suspiscious thing I picked up from reading the court document you didn't even mention:

Apparently, when O'Reilly contacted her at CNN offering her the job back at FOX, the document states that O'Reilly had heard her boss was fired for sexual harassment at CNN and called to initially console her...
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 79 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.022s, 2q)