http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 04:31:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books Read in 2011  (Read 7775 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 02:18:47 PM »

I just finished The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I'm eager to start the next one, Shadow's Edge.

Also, The Way of Shadow's was my first Kindle Book, I think I'm spoiled smile

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »

the only book i have read up to now this year is The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo,which was a good book,but the first 50-100 pages were pretty boring and the end of the book dragged on,but still looking forward to reading books 2 and 3

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2011, 02:35:32 PM »

Just finished The Way of Kings. Fantastic read! The final 3rd of the book really pays off well as things tie together and in some ways get turned on its head. After reading this, I am going to have to get back into The Wheel of Time series because I have complete faith that Sanderson will be able to finish the series of in style.
As far as The Way of Kings and the Stormlight series in general, I sure hope I dont have a GRRM style wait for the next book to come out. I figure with his obligation to the Wheel of Time it may be a few years but I am very much looking forward to the next book in this series.

The Way of Kings    thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup     
Brandon Sanderson
pub. Aug. 2010 by TOR fantasy
1008 pages

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2011, 10:10:50 PM »

Sandman Slim by Richard Cadrey. This was a bad ass book about a hitman that escapes from hell. He wants revenge on the people that sent him there in the first place. The writing was great and there was a lot of dark cynicism from the first page. I love a book with a good anti-hero. One of the best lines was something like: "My new scar should have a power ballad written about it."

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 01:06:52 PM »

The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie - The last time I read an initial book in a fantasy series which I enjoyed this much, the name on the cover was George R.R. Martin.  The Blade Itself is an absolutely fantastic story with wonderful characters set in a rich, amazing world.  It also has some of the best - if not the best - combat scenes I've ever read.  Abercrombie really knows how to describe a fight.  I can't recommend this one highly enough, and I cannot wait to get started on the next book.  A+

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011, 04:15:27 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 08, 2011, 01:06:52 PM

The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie

Believe it or not. The books just get better. I have The Heroes - his latest - qued up to read soon.

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2011, 09:00:01 PM »

Just finished Let The Right One In by John Avjide Lindquist. I have been on this Swedish kick, I guess. I enjoyed this book, though it was pretty long, and look forward to watching the movie Let Me In tonight.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2011, 07:49:17 AM »

Welsh Fairy Tales by William Elliot Griffis (1921)

Currently free on Kindle.  The collection shows a bit of the author's footprint regarding a bit of editorializing.  The stories are short, sweet, and to the point.  You'll see several appearances of King Puck and Queen Mab, as well as a few mentions of Arthur.  None of these will give you any sort of deep treatment on the subject, but it's interesting to see what has survived into our culture today from different areas.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2011, 06:10:47 AM »

Strange Victory:Hitler's Conquest of France By Earnest May.  An analysis of the political dealings, intelligence assumptions, and events leading up to the battle of France in 1940, as well as the military campaign itself.   
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2011, 05:37:42 PM »

almost finished with The Strain by Del Toro and Hogan.   Decent, worth reading but nothing too new or special. 

just one thing: 
Spoiler for Hiden:
When your genius ex husband tells you to get out of Dodge or you will die, dont listen to your new boyfriend and for gawds sake get the fuck outta Dodge! Now!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2011, 10:02:20 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on February 18, 2011, 05:37:42 PM

almost finished with The Strain by Del Toro and Hogan.   Decent, worth reading but nothing too new or special. 

just one thing: 
Spoiler for Hiden:
When your genius ex husband tells you to get out of Dodge or you will die, dont listen to your new boyfriend and for gawds sake get the fuck outta Dodge! Now!

Spoiler for Hiden:
especially when that genius ex husband works for the CDC!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2011, 02:19:03 AM »

The Shadows of Grace (The Half-Orcs, Book 4)

A Sliver of Redemption (The Half-Orcs, Book 5)

Still pulpy, still violent, still decent.  Picture the series as an homage to the fantasy stuff we read in HS, but with more adult themes.  You've got a war god running rampant, attempting to bring about the end of the world and kill the other gods in the rather limited pantheon, more liches, political maneuvering, etc.  I felt the final battle could have been written better, but I don't regret the journey.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2011, 12:08:57 AM »

My January and February books. I try to maintain an eclectic mix of genres and subjects.

January
“Under the Dome” by Stephen King
“Dead or Alive” by Tom Clancy
“Memoirs of a Geisha” by Arthur Golden
“Cold Mountain” by Charles Frazier

February
“Cleopatra: A Life” by Stacy Schiff
“Forbidden Knowledge” by Roger Shattuck
“The Light of Other Days” by Arthur C. Clarke & Stephen Baxter
“Into the Wild” by Jon Krakauer
“Animal, Vegetable, Miracle” by Barbara Kingsolver

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2011, 04:23:31 PM »

Before They Were Hanged - Joe Abercrombie:  I was somewhat skeptical when folks said this series only gets better, but they were totally right.  What an amazing first two books, and I can't wait to start the third one this afternoon.  GRRM is my #1 favorite series, but this is very quickly becoming my #1a.

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2011, 06:46:12 PM »

I read Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis in February. They are essentially one book that was split into two due to length. The first book doesn't even end with a cliffhanger, it just ends and All Clear picks up like it's the very next chapter. It's a story about historians in the year 2060 who travel back to varying events in WWII and get trapped there. It has an interesting take on the time travel premise, but the execution, in my opinion, is very poor. The books could have lost about 300 pages combined without hurting the plot. The last third of Blackout and first quarter or so of All Clear drag on and on by having the historians trying to find a way out. By the nature of how time travel is described in the book, you know they're going to fail at each attempt (the characters know this too and say so but keep trying anyway) which limits the suspense. However the payoff in the last five or six chapters is excellent and worth slogging through the middle 300 pages just for the impact at the end.

If you're in the mood for a good time travel story that drags on a bit at 1,100 pages but puts an interesting twist on the concept I would recommend them. Keep in mind that when you sign up for Blackout you're also signing up to read All Clear immediately afterward.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2011, 06:57:42 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on January 26, 2011, 10:56:09 PM

Quote from: JayDee on January 22, 2011, 01:31:04 AM

I had to look up 2nd person to see what that even meant. Now that I know what it is I don't think I've ever read a book that was in 2nd person, other than Choose Your Own Adventure Stories. I don't even know how it would work as a full-fledged novel. Wow.

The whole book isn't written in second. I would say about 15% of it at the most. It is very well done and very seamless.

I have always enjoyed 2nd person. I took some writing classes and it was sort of shunned but I managed to work some into one of my books.

I just finished Lee Child's Running Blind which has an ingenious use of 2nd person. You basically get the perspective of the killer told in 2nd person. A few paragraphs here and there sprinkled throughout the novel. The best thing is that it is essential to the plot so that when the killer is revealed you know EXACTLY why Child chose to have the killer's view in 2nd person. At first I thought it was a neat gimmick, then realized it was much more than that. Brilliant.
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2011, 06:25:51 PM »

Just finished Faithful Place by Tana French. Loved it. Great comeback after the long-winded The Likeness. I hope her 4th book will feature the same protagonist as FP as I thought he was a great character.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2011, 02:25:16 PM »

The Last Argument of Kings - Joe Abercrombie:  A fitting end to an absolutely incredible series.  Thought it did a great job of wrapping up all the loose ends.  True to the series' tone, there were very few happy endings*, but we got to see a few flashes of sunlight through the clouds.  There were some great surprises (a certain king and certain former prisoner spring to mind), and I absolutely loved the way some of the characters were developed (especially Bayaz and Jezel).  In the end, First Law didn't quite overtake SOIAF, but has knocked everything else on my "favorite fantasy books" down a peg.  I'd highly, highly recommend it.

*I especially thought
Spoiler for Hiden:
West
deserved better.  Poor guy.  frown

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2011, 04:24:17 AM »

Just finished Prince of Thieves by Chuck Hogan. Loved this book. Haven't seen The Town yet, but saw this book at B&N a few weekends ago and picked it up. Had a hard time following all the characters at first, but the more I read it, the more I got into it.

I love the deep Boston setting of this book, much like the Lehane novels. Can't get enough of Boston, I suppose.

Hey Pete R.: Jon Maberry's next Joe Ledger book is out in a week or so. And I saw a new non-Pendergast Lincoln/Child collaboration at Target the other day.

So many books!

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2011, 04:28:37 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on March 14, 2011, 04:24:17 AM

Hey Pete R.: Jon Maberry's next Joe Ledger book is out in a week or so.

Already on the "hold" list at the library.   icon_cool  I think I'm #2 on the list and they're getting in at least three or four copies.  I'll have it right around when it's released.

What I didn't know is that there is another Repairman Jack book already out and so there are only one or two more upcoming titles to complete the series.  I have that on reserve at the library as well.  The challenge is actually finding the time to read them.   disgust

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2011, 03:12:18 PM »

Alton Brown's Gear for Your Kitchen

While I'm not exactly looking to spend a lot (or any) money upgading my kitchen at the moment, I still learned a fair bit and, when I get to that point, will likely either check it out again from the library or buy a used copy. 

Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire

While not a complete survey of the Roman empire (it leaves out Caligula almost completely), it does cover the majority of the timeline from the early city-state through the wide conquest, to the final dissolution of the Roman seat of power. 

Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2011, 10:50:20 PM »

1960...LBJ vs JFK vs Nixon: The Epic Campaign that Forged Three Presidencies
by David Pietrusza

A good book on the election of 1960 and the workings of the campaigns involved. While most of the book is about JFK and Nixon as the eventual candidates a good deal of time is spent with LBJ, HHH and Nelson Rockefeller. The book discusses the personal lives of the candidates as well as their motivations. The extra material affairs of JFK and LBJ are mentioned, as well as the infidelities of the Kennedy Clan in general.

I think this is a fairly balanced look at most of the candidates. None of them come off very well and in the end the author almost gives the feeling that had LBJ been given the chance his presidency would have been remembered for greater things than Vietnam.

3.5 of 5.........You are left wanting more, and with the book just over 400 pages I think the author could have given more.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2011, 07:02:23 PM »

101 Things You Didn't Know About Irish History (Lendable)

Better than I expected.  While it's certainly not extremely detailed, it filled the need of what I wanted, which was a broad survey of Irish history.  It starts by covering the early legends of the mystical invaders of the island, the actual archaeology and history of the first settlers, and so forth.  It goes on to cover the major topics that most people are aware of: The English governance, the potato famines, the separation of Ulster and the Troubles, and up through the Celtic Tiger revolution.  It ranges far afield to cover the religious aspects, economic strengths and weaknesses, and political manuevering on both local and international levels. 

I have no doubt that I'll be referring back to it to point me in more specific areas that piqued my interest such as the original folk tales, the religious wars, and the 20th century fight for independence.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2011, 04:27:48 PM »

Inside Delta Force

This book is the basis for the departed show, The Unit.  It was a riveting read, covering the process of selection, training, and missions that Eric Haney was part of as being one of the earliest members of Delta Force.  He covers working with all the alphabet soup agencies, private companies and trainers, missions to Central America, Africa, and the Middle East.  A lot of the history of violence in the 70s and 80s, he had a ringside seat for.

I actually came across stuff that I knew from previous reading, such as Larry Freedman, the Delta member that was later killed in Somalia while working for the CIA. 

While the author is a true patriot, he has choice words for those superiors and decision makers that he feels aren't as focused on what truly matters in the management of world affairs and proper handling of situations. 

If you're at all interested in the history of special operations and the volatile period of history that was the post-Vietnam era, I highly recommend the book. 

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »

I finished reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold last night. I thought it was a beautiful book and couldn't put it down. Recommended.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2011, 05:21:19 PM »

The Guts to Try: The Untold Story of the Iran Hostage Rescue Mission by the On-Scene Desert Commander

Written by Col. James H. Kyle (ret.) of the USAF with assistance from John Robert Eidson. Col. Kyle details his involvement as well as what he's gathered from interviews about what turned out to be the debacle that occured at Desert 1.

My reading of the history of Delta Force mentioned this book specifically, so I decided to tackle it next. It goes into the planning that he saw, long months of hard work workign on the logistics and training that went into putting this operation together. His passion for the work that they were doing comes through, as well as his pain at the failure and the loss of life.

As this operation happened when I was about to turn four, I of course have no recollection of any events as they happened. One thing that I learned about the events was that the mission had been aborted due to a lack of operational helicopters even before the accident took place that cost eight men their lives.

Col. Kyle relays not only his experiences with the operation, being at the mission site, and the return, but his time in front of the generals and Congressional committees. He finishes the book with a long, hard look at the reasons that he believes the mission failed, what errors were made, and what corrections he thinks should have come out of the mission.

All in all, this book was, to me, an excellent read. I really got a better feel for the men involved, the tactics, and what it was like to be in the middle of that situation, struggling against the odds to take care of our citizens, no matter where they might be.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2011, 12:55:06 AM »

Quote from: lildrgn on March 14, 2011, 04:24:17 AM

Hey Pete R.: Jon Maberry's next Joe Ledger book is out in a week or so. And I saw a new non-Pendergast Lincoln/Child collaboration at Target the other day.

So many books!

Sweet!  I thought it was right around the corner.

I finished Brent Week's Shadow Trilogy and am about halfway through Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, which is fantastic by the way. I'll start the new Ledger book as soon as I finish Unbroken.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2011, 03:17:54 AM »

Did you read the Harry Hole books? What did you think?

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2011, 06:44:55 PM »

I read Red Breast and liked it pretty well, but not quite as much as other books I've read lately. 

I definitely plan on reading more Harry Hole though.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2011, 12:15:48 PM »

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie - This companion story to the First Law Trilogy tells the tale of Monza Murcatto, a mercenary general out for revenge.  Abercrombie proves yet again that he is second only to Martin in the fantasy genre with an incredibly tight, detailed story that will keep you guessing right up until the end.  While the story mostly revolves around a new crop of characters, there is also lots of familiar faces and events that will be immediately familiar to those who finished the First Law series.  It's certainly not a book for those who want a bright, cheery take on life, as it's central message is one of "life's a bitch, then it gets worse, then you die".  That said, there's plenty of humor and a metric shit-ton of the ol' ultraviolence.  My only quibble is that for as incredible as Abercrombie is at writing combat, he's equally as awful when writing about sex.  The few bow-chicka-wow-wow bits are just cringe worthy, but they're thankfully few and far between.  Highly, highly recommended.

Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2011, 02:33:05 PM »

I re-read Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss last week. This week I am reading the sequel, Wise Man's Fear. At the rate I am plowing through this behemoth, I should be done over the weekend.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2011, 12:22:53 PM »

lil and Pete, have you finished "The King of Plagues" yet?  I'm 90% finished with it and will finish it at lunch today.

I loved it.  More of the same, but I actually think I like this one a little better than the first two. 

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2011, 05:32:26 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on April 15, 2011, 12:22:53 PM

lil and Pete, have you finished "The King of Plagues" yet?  I'm 90% finished with it and will finish it at lunch today.

I loved it.  More of the same, but I actually think I like this one a little better than the first two. 

I just got a notice that my reserved copy is in at the library (free books FTW - who knew?  It's like a book grocery store...for FREE).  I'm going to pick it up later today.  I can't wait to read it.  Loved Patient Zero, enjoyed The Dragon Factory well enough (especially some of the character plot twists), and can't wait for this next story in the series. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2011, 05:54:15 PM »

If you've got a smartphone or even want to do it on your computer, the Overdrive Media Console is available for libraries that have audio- and e-books available for loan.  I've got one out right now from the Dallas library.  Looks like Maricopa county is in on the act as well.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2011, 09:39:41 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 15, 2011, 05:54:15 PM

If you've got a smartphone or even want to do it on your computer, the Overdrive Media Console is available for libraries that have audio- and e-books available for loan.  I've got one out right now from the Dallas library.  Looks like Maricopa county is in on the act as well.

Great suggestion. Just installed along with Audiobooks for a ton of mostly classic books.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2011, 01:59:25 AM »

I'm glad you like it.  It always makes me feel good when I can pass along something of use.

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2011, 04:28:54 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on April 15, 2011, 12:22:53 PM

Not yet. Reading through Connelly's The Fifth Witness now and will do Maberry next!

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2011, 12:53:55 PM »

Last night I finished Maberry's "The King of Plagues".  Great book.  5 Stars!

I'm not sure what to read next.

I'm thinking about reading either Lies of Locke Lamora or  The Wiseman's Fear (I loved Name of the Wind).  Thoughts?

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2011, 03:01:03 AM »

I've been reading "The Day After Tomorrow" by Alan Folsom for what feels like forever now. The book is pretty good but it's a big one and it tends to drag in places. Also there is like 160 chapters and each is only a few pages long.

I should finish it this week.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2011, 11:38:36 PM »

I actually decided to read Stormfront, the first of the Dresden Files. About a quarter of the way through it and really dig it so far.

Posted from my HTC Evo

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: