http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 03:29:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books Read in 2009  (Read 18069 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2009, 02:13:11 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on May 13, 2009, 02:10:45 AM

I just read through the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson, and if you're looking for a new fantasy series to read I highly recommend it. He's a newer author and doesn't have many books, but both this series and the standalone book Elantris are great. I was most impressed with how the series ended up tying all sorts of details from the book and the mythology of the book together.

He has a new one that just came out called Warbreaker. Another standalone.  And of course he's the author picked to finish off "The Wheel of Time".  Combined with his Young Adult series and he is one busy writer. 
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2009, 06:53:46 PM »

Finished “Map of Bones” by James Rollins

Spoiler for Hiden:
These guys have the most hi tech equipment in the world and yet their phones apparently don't use text messaging. They were constantly losing contact with team members and had to wait for cell reception to be established in order to make a call. Same with voice mail. It never ceases to amaze me how movies and books portray cell phones ringing endlessly (see Slum Dog Millionaire for a recent example) without voice mail ever picking up.

The romantic buildup between Rachel and Gray was over the top cheesy. Endless references to long glances into each other's eyes, how he would have his hand on her shoulder longer than necessary and she would lean back into his hand.  Roll Eyes

The ending was a shocker. WTF, why didn't he give his dad the magic powder that could have stopped his memory loss? Some gobblygook about living in the present?  saywhat

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2009, 07:07:58 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on May 18, 2009, 06:53:46 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
The ending was a shocker. WTF, why didn't he give his dad the magic powder that could have stopped his memory loss? Some gobblygook about living in the present?  saywhat

Spoiler for Hiden:
You should read the bullshit at the end of The Last Oracle.  It was even more WTF.  And it didn't even make sense, as the gender of the alleged "character" didn't even match.   retard

I liked Rollins' earlier works, such as Subterranian, Excavation, Deep Fathom, Amazonia, and Ice Hunt.  The Sigma stuff seems like cheap attempts to cash in on the popularity of National Treasure and Dan Brown's nonsense.  But, I like Gray and Monk, and while the stories are fairly nonsensical, I'll still probably read The Doomsday Key which comes out in June.  We're #1 on the waiting list at the library.  Still waiting on Cemetary Dance, though.     

Right now I'm reading The Chase by Clive Cussler, which stands alone from Cussler's other novels which feature the usual NUMA/Dirk Pitt storylines.  It's set in the early part of the 20th century and features a lead character named Isaac Bell who works for the Van Dorn Detective agency.  Ironically he's tall, but with blonde hair instead of black, and violet eyes instead of green, but outside of that he has many similarities with Dirk Pitt.  It's a pretty simple read and I should be finished with it in another few days.  It's fun, light fare.  Nothing groundbreaking, but it passes the time over my lunch hour nicely.

Next on my list is Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards.  I've been wanting a copy and Jaime finally came across one this weekend.  Once I finish The Chase I'll get back to reading up on my pool game and incorporating concepts and drills into my usual routine.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2009, 07:30:18 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 20, 2009, 03:57:09 AM

Assassin's Apprentice

A much different book than the title suggests.  It was free for the Kindle app for my iPhone.  It was an excellent read and kept me reading past my bedtime on several nights.  It's certainly not as bloodthirsty as the title suggests.  It certainly was a good enough read to sell me the second book through the same method for $6.39, 20% off the paperback price.

I have finished up the trilogy, all via iPhone Kindle app reading.  The others are Royal Assassin and Assassin's Quest.  An excellent series that I would highly recommend to fantasy readers.  I have moved on to her next trilogy with Ship of Magic, which is based in the same world, same time, but different geographic area and characters.  It's started slowly, but I'm starting to get into it a bit.  Although I may decide to stop by the library for the next two books rather than drop ~$13 on the next two in the series.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2009, 07:33:58 PM »

Liveship Traders is slow to start off but by the third book I enjoyed it as much as the first trilogy. 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2009, 07:36:30 PM »

Good to know.  Thanks for the info. 

iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2009, 07:42:57 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 18, 2009, 07:33:58 PM

Liveship Traders is slow to start off but by the third book I enjoyed it as much as the first trilogy. 

I'm having trouble getting into it as well -- I'll press ahead (not that it's bad, just not a compelling read so far).  I read all the assassin apprentice books first (all 6 of them) so I might be a tad burned out on the world.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »

I went the chronological route, since the Tawny Man stuff is set and written after Liveship.  I seriously thought about skipping Liveship completely, but finally decided that Farseer was good enough that she got some goodwill before I went digging for the prize at the bottom of the box in going straight back to Fitz.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2009, 07:55:20 PM »

Just finished "The Borderlands of Science" by Michael Shermer

He starts by explaining the different categories of research between Science, Pseudo-Science and Borderlands Science. As the research progresses (or doesn't) it can move to another category. The Borderlands category is for things being researched that could go either way. The important distinction is how things are being researched and by whom. Examples include:

Normal Science
Evolution
Bing Bang Cosmology
Plate tectonics
Punctuated Equilibrium

Pseudo Science
Creationism
Holocaust Revisionism
Astrology
Big Foot

Borderlands Science
Superstring theory
SETI
Hypnosis
Theories of consciousness

One of the more interesting chapters was called "Blood, Sweat, and Fears: Racial Differences and What They Really Mean".
Is it nature or nurture that makes someone a better athlete? Starting with Jimmy The Greek's infamous remarks about blacks being "bred that way" to Al Campanis telling Ted Koppel that blacks don't compete in swimming because "they don't have buoyancy".

Hindsight bias: however things turn out we tend to look back to justify that particular arrangement with a set of causal explanatory variables presumably applicable to all situations.

How many people know that Jews dominated the sport of basketball from the 1920's to the 1940's? I didn't.

Before they were the Golden State Warriors and the Philadelphia Warriors they were known as the Hebrews.

Of course this dominance was all explained through the Jewish racial predisposition for basketball.  Roll Eyes

"The reason, I suspect, that basketball appeals to the Hebrew with his Oriental background," wrote Paul Gallico, sports editor of the New York Daily News and one of the premier sports writers of the 1930s, "is that the game places a premium on an alert, scheming mind, flashy trickiness, artful dodging and general smart aleckness." Writers opined that Jews had an advantage in basketball because short men have better balance and more foot speed. They were also thought to have sharper eyes, which of course cut against the stereotype that Jewish men were myopic and had to wear glasses, but who said stereotypes had to be consistent?

Out of all the hundreds of sports played around the world blacks dominate only three: basketball, American football and track & field. Whites dominate some sports while Asians dominate still others. It has to do with a combination of biological factors and cultural influences (e.g., your socio-economic circumstances). As Shermer concludes in the chapter, "Training alone won't get you to the finish line first. Neither will genetics. To be a champion you need both."

It was a good book covering other topics like the race to figure out the origins of species between Wallace and Darwin, a quantitative bio of Carl Sagan, the myth of genius, and the Beautiful People Myth (our nostalgia for native people's living in harmony with the environment).

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2009, 08:06:45 PM »

Just finished The Chase by Clive Cussler.  Easy-reading, fairly predictable, relatively cookie-cutter, typical Cussler fare.  Many similarities with the Dirk Pitt series, minus a sidekick like Giordano, but the lead character had the usual "mesmerizing eyes" and was irresistable to women.  Fun story, neat little early-1900's bank robbery crime caper with a suspenseful chase at the end, but with a number of  Roll Eyes moments.  It was fun, compelling enough to pass the time, but now I'm looking forward to a new series a friend got me into.  It's known as the "Repairman Jack" series by F. Paul Wilson and involves a lead character who fixes things, but not toilets and broken garbage disposals, instead repairing supernatural issues and problems.  Could be interesting, and the first book in the series, The Tomb, is waiting for me at Mesa Public Library.

Currently also reading through Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards, but I've been going back through particularly interesting sections to make sure what I've learned sticks with me and I fully understand the concepts, almost as if I'm studying for an exam, so it'll probably be a while before I consider it "finished".  Actually, a reference like this may never actually be "finished", instead always being there to refer to from time to time as my pool game advances. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2009, 08:29:03 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 21, 2009, 08:06:45 PM

Could be interesting, and the first book in the series, The Tomb, is waiting for me at Mesa Public Library.

FWIW, there is another series from Wilson that is sort of, uh, perpendicular to the Repairman Jack books.  Called the Adversary Cycle, The Tomb is the second in that series as well as being the first Repairman Jack book.  The first book in that series, The Keep is pretty decent.  It was quite the bestseller in the early '80s and was also made into a rather crappy film from Michael Mann. 
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2009, 08:41:01 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 21, 2009, 08:06:45 PM

Just finished The Chase by Clive Cussler.  Easy-reading, fairly predictable, relatively cookie-cutter, typical Cussler fare.  Many similarities with the Dirk Pitt series, minus a sidekick like Giordano, but the lead character had the usual "mesmerizing eyes" and was irresistable to women.  Fun story, neat little early-1900's bank robbery crime caper with a suspenseful chase at the end, but with a number of  Roll Eyes moments.  It was fun, compelling enough to pass the time, but now I'm looking forward to a new series a friend got me into.  It's known as the "Repairman Jack" series by F. Paul Wilson and involves a lead character who fixes things, but not toilets and broken garbage disposals, instead repairing supernatural issues and problems.  Could be interesting, and the first book in the series, The Tomb, is waiting for me at Mesa Public Library.

Currently also reading through Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards, but I've been going back through particularly interesting sections to make sure what I've learned sticks with me and I fully understand the concepts, almost as if I'm studying for an exam, so it'll probably be a while before I consider it "finished".  Actually, a reference like this may never actually be "finished", instead always being there to refer to from time to time as my pool game advances. 

I've read a couple of Wilson's books too. I re-read one a few years ago. I think. It was set in the 80s or so in New York. What with all the Pendergast books I read last year and then trying to remember this one, well I think I'm cornfused.

But, I'm a sucker for recurring characters (Jack Reacher, Harry Bosch, etc), so maybe I'll revisit Repairman Jack (though I think in the book I read, he wasn't known as Repairman Jack). Thanks for the reminder!

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2009, 08:49:53 PM »

The end of Robin Hobb's Assassin's Quest pissed me off so much that I will never read something else Hobb writes ever again.  What a waste.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2009, 08:51:15 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on May 21, 2009, 08:41:01 PM

...Jack Reacher...

The same friend who suggested the Repairman Jack series also mentioned the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child, so that may be next on my list once I work through Repairman Jack.  But everything will be put on hold when the library finally has my copy of Cemetery Dance.  I think we're something like 16th or so on the waiting list.  disgust  But, I can't argue with free, especially since my wife didn't even bat an eye when I told her I wanted to pick up a break/jump cue.  If that means being patient about library books then so be it.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on May 21, 2009, 08:49:53 PM

The end of Robin Hobb's Assassin's Quest pissed me off so much that I will never read something else Hobb writes ever again.  What a waste.

saywhat

I would be very interested to read your spoiler tags as to why you did not care for it.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2009, 09:09:17 PM »

Don't remember.  Don't care to.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2009, 03:43:17 AM »

Just read the first Sherlock Holmes story - A Study in Scarlet  It was amazingly contemporary, if a bit stodgy. 
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2009, 10:30:21 PM »

Just finished “The Once and Future King” by T.H. White. The classic tale of love, betrayal, magic and the attempt to break the cycle of Might Makes Right.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2009, 10:47:19 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on May 21, 2009, 08:41:01 PM

I've read a couple of Wilson's books too. I re-read one a few years ago. I think. It was set in the 80s or so in New York. What with all the Pendergast books I read last year and then trying to remember this one, well I think I'm cornfused.

But, I'm a sucker for recurring characters (Jack Reacher, Harry Bosch, etc), so maybe I'll revisit Repairman Jack (though I think in the book I read, he wasn't known as Repairman Jack). Thanks for the reminder!

Know the author but for some reason hadn't heard of this series that I recall and in poking found this is a fairly long and still ongoing series. Just what I need, yet another series where I might plow through what's out there and then wait for the next one... and wait... Song of Fire and Ice, anyone? icon_wink

From the author's official site:

Quote from: F. Paul Wilson
By the time I reached the end of The Tomb, I realized I had a series character. I didn't feel I was ready to write a series then, so I left him bleeding to death at the end. But the guy wouldn't die. The Tomb never went out of print, and through the years it amassed a huge following. So after 14 years of pleas from readers, I wrote a second Repairman Jack novel. Legacies was so much fun I had to do another, and it’s been a book a year since then.

But this is not an open-ended series. I will not run Jack into the ground. I'm figuring on ending his saga in 2011 with book fifteen.

Do these tend to hold up?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2009, 01:26:30 PM »

Read

March
"The Amulet of Samarkand" by Jonathan Stroud

May
"A Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood
"I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson
"The Postman" by David Brin

June
"World War Z" by Max Brooks
"On the Beach" by Nevil Shute
"Angels and Demons" by  Dan Brown
"Alas, Babylon" by

July
"The Chrysalids" by John Wyndham

August
"A Study in Scarlet" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

September
"Eternity Road" by Jack McDevitt
"Robinson Crusoe" by Daniel Defoe

October
"The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown
"The Life of Pi" by Yvann Martel

November

December
"Mass Effect: Revelation" by Drew Karpyshyn
"The Cellist of Sarajevo" by Steven Galloway
"I am America (and so can you)" by Stephen Colbert

Reading

"Gardens of the Moon: Malazan Empire Book 1" by Steven Erikson
"The Reality Dysfunction: Part 1" by Peter F. Hamilton

2008: 4
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 03:44:26 PM by Canuck » Logged
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2009, 01:52:55 PM »

Just finished "The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill, Alone 1932-1940" by William Manchester. This was the second and final volume of Manchester's biography of Churchill. Unfortunately Manchester had a stroke late in life and announced that he would not be able to complete the 3rd volume covering the WWII years. Anyone interested in Churchill or British history during this time should check out these two volumes.

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2009, 01:31:42 PM »

I'm enjoying the heck out of the Dresden Files books. Obviously nothing heavy, but a very satisfying escape after a stress-filled work day.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on May 27, 2009, 01:52:55 PM

Just finished "The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill, Alone 1932-1940" by William Manchester. This was the second and final volume of Manchester's biography of Churchill. Unfortunately Manchester had a stroke late in life and announced that he would not be able to complete the 3rd volume covering the WWII years. Anyone interested in Churchill or British history during this time should check out these two volumes.

I've recently gotten a couple more Churchill related books in my collection that people might be interested in.

In Search of Churchill: A Historian's Journey by Martin Gilbert - Haven't read this one yet, but looks interesting. Part of it is Gilbert discussing the people he met from whom he drew some of his information about Churchill, the other part is Gilbert's autobiography.

Winston Churchill: Soldier: The Military Life of a Gentleman at War - I did finish this book a while ago, I found it pretty good. It covers not only his active military actions, but also focuses (perhaps too much for some folks) on his career in Britain while a soldier. Churchill never saw himself as a lifetime soldier. Serving in the military was just a stepping stone to bigger things for him and this book discusses how he always stayed attentive to his long term goals.

Oh, and so I don't double post, I've recently completed:
"Washington's Spies" by Alexander Rose
"The Victorian Internet" by Tom Standage
"Porsche 356" by Dennis Jenkinson
"Mexico: Biography of Power" by Enrique Krauze

And now I'm reading:
"Jaguar: Britain's Fastest Export" by Lord Montagu of Bealieu (BIHotC)
"Battle For Hue: Tet 1968" by Keith William Nolan

OK, I forgot to mention this... to avoid duplication I'm maintaining my "Books Read in 2009" list in the Octopus Overlords forum.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:49:42 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2009, 05:05:55 AM »

Any chance of stickying this so I don:t have to go searching for it everytime I want to make an update to my list?  I think we could probably replace it with the pushup thread sticky-Im sure you lazy bastards arent using that thread any more! slywink

edit:  Yatta! (I did it!)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 09:49:40 PM by Canuck » Logged
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2009, 02:53:34 AM »

LoneStarSpur, agree wholeheartedly on Dresden. I've read the whole series to date this year and have enjoyed it immensely as an easy but rewarding read.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 25, 2009, 10:47:19 PM

From the author's official site:

Quote from: F. Paul Wilson
By the time I reached the end of The Tomb, I realized I had a series character. I didn't feel I was ready to write a series then, so I left him bleeding to death at the end. But the guy wouldn't die. The Tomb never went out of print, and through the years it amassed a huge following. So after 14 years of pleas from readers, I wrote a second Repairman Jack novel. Legacies was so much fun I had to do another, and it’s been a book a year since then.

But this is not an open-ended series. I will not run Jack into the ground. I'm figuring on ending his saga in 2011 with book fifteen.

Do these tend to hold up?

Well, I'm about finished with The Tomb and so far I really like the writing, the characters, and the general flow of the story.  The author handles the character of Jack quite well, and while you may not know anything about him in the beginning, as the story progresses you learn about Jack's first "fix-it", how he became a societal outcast, etc. 

I've really enjoyed it so far and I'm waiting for Legacies to become available at the library.

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2009, 05:23:52 AM »

Just finished The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett tonight. Took almost a month (900+ pages) and was quite enjoyable. Very epic, huge scope. Just imagining the work to write something like this is freakin me out.

Reading a short little thing called Serial by Jack Kilborn (aka J.A. Konrath) and Blake Crouch. Up next is The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly, then Cemetery Dance!

Hey PR: with the Kindle, I could download a free sample of CD and read the first 10-15 pages or so. Interesting start, for sure. I'll probably start it in a week or two.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2009, 04:44:52 PM »

Finished The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson last night.  While I saw some of the "twists" coming, overall I wasn't expecting the ending at all.  Fun read, great action, interesting characters, looking forward to the next story in the series.

I also just started reading Preacher by writer Garth Ennis and artist Steve Dillon.  A friend suggested it and provided me with every issue on CD, and so far it's not like anything I've ever read before.  Great stuff.

Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2009, 03:33:25 PM »

Just finished..........The Day of Battle by Rick Atkinson

This is his second book of a proposed three part series about the American Army involvement in WW2 Europe. This book covers Sicily and Italy. Very good, well researched book that leaves you waiting for the next one, which unfortunatly has not yet hit even hardbound yet.

4 of 5
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2009, 05:54:01 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 23, 2009, 05:07:43 AM

Just finished The Warded Man by Peter V Brett (published as The Painted Man in the UK).  Best fantasy I've read since The Name of the Wind.  Started out great and just kept getting better. 

I'm reading this right now - Loving it so far..really, really good ,and something completely new in the fantasy genre to me!

I think I'll go order the rest of the series soon since I know I'll want to read them at once when I finish gobbling this one up!

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2009, 06:02:18 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 05, 2009, 05:54:01 PM

Just finished The Warded Man by Peter V Brett (published as The Painted Man in the UK).  Best fantasy I've read since The Name of the Wind.  Started out great and just kept getting better. 

I'm reading this right now - Loving it so far..really, really good ,and something completely new in the fantasy genre to me!

I think I'll go order the rest of the series soon since I know I'll want to read them at once when I finish gobbling this one up!

Unfortunately on the first book is out right now.  The second novel, The Desert Spear, comes out in April 2010. 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2009, 11:00:15 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 05, 2009, 06:02:18 PM

Quote from: Razgon on June 05, 2009, 05:54:01 PM

Unfortunately on the first book is out right now.  The second novel, The Desert Spear, comes out in April 2010. 

hmm, strange - my book has the cover on the inside, and a date saying August 2009?

edit: Okay, checked out the mans website and wow! Check out this:

I am pleased to report that I have on my desk a signed film option contract with a major Hollywood director for The Painted Man (AKA The Warded Man) and subsequent books in the franchise.

Said director has asked to not be mentioned by name until midsummer when he is finished packaging his latest blockbuster, but rest assured, he has some serious SF movie cred. We met personally a few months ago and talked for hours about the book and how it might translate into film. I left feeling very confident that we were on the same page, and that he was genuine about his commitment to the project.
Okay, while its just an option contract, I'm pretty damn excited about this! Justfinished the book, and its a thrill ride worth every pagetrun!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:13:06 AM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2009, 05:28:46 PM »

Finished A Clash of Kings last night.  Awesome book of course.  I think I liked Game of Thrones slightly better but whatever, they're both amazing and everyone says the third book is about as good as it gets.  So can't wait.

Got a ship date for my Kindle DX - June 15th!  So my reading should pick up a bit because I plan on using that on the treadmill and probably over lunch at work as well as at home.  I went to B&N last night to find a new book to tear through before it arrives and picked up Kafka on the Shore by Murakami, because I did a search on Amazon and it appeared Murakami hadn't been Kindle-ized yet.  Unfortunately I just did a search to double-check and I was wrong. I realized that last night I had searched for "Miyazaki" instead frown :facepalm:

Also picked up a graphic novel that's supposed to be pretty good called Exit Wounds, which is about life in Tel Aviv.
Jota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2009, 09:46:05 PM »

Thought this was an interesting topic since I haven't read a book in about 4yrs.  But I came across a news report of some sort last year stating that approximately 80% of Americans don't read at least 1 book per year.  I was baffled by the statistic and decided I was going to read as my new years resolution.  So I bought the Star Wars: Legacy of the Force books through Amazon and while I was getting ready to read them a friend asked me if I liked the Lord of The Rings books.  I told her I did and she recommended The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.  As I began to read I couldn't put the books down.  So below is my list so far...

Read:
The Sword of Truth: Wizards First Rule
The Sword of Truth: Stone of Tears
The Sword of Truth: Blood of the Fold

Currently Reading:
The Sword of Truth: Temple of the Winds
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2009, 03:18:55 AM »

Just finished Michael Connelly's The Scarecrow. Enjoyable, if a little fluffy. Not a Bosch novel, but not to worry, 9 Dragons hits in October!

Currently reading Cemetery Dance by Child and Preston.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2009, 06:45:20 PM »

“The Portable Atheist” by Christopher Hitchens
A collection of historical writings by heathens, blasphemers, and other people headed for the fires of hell like Lucretius, Benedict de Spinoza, Charles Darwin, Karl Marx, Mark Twain, George Eliot, Bertrand Russell, Emma Goldman, H. L. Mencken, Albert Einstein, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, and Richard Dawkins.

Shantaram” by Gregory David Roberts
It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured.

So begins a novel I had never heard of by an author I had never heard of, something I picked up on a whim at a used book sale because the back cover description sounded vaguely interesting. I don't know the last time I flew through 936 pages. Gaming and most of my other hobbies took a back seat while I read this book for the last week. The sarcastic humor made me  icon_lol  while I was entranced with the description of the Bombay India underworld. As a former heroin addict he gives in vivid detail what it's like to take heroin and go cold turkey. Throughout the book I found myself underlining interesting passages like:

"Happiness is a myth," Karla snapped back angrily. "It was invented to make us buy things."
Madame Zhou laughed. It was a gurgling, bronchial laugh. It was the kind of laugh that hunted down funny things, and killed them stone dead.

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2009, 07:00:51 PM »

Just finished Cemetery Dance. Meh.

Looking for something else to read, but I think I'm getting sucked in by a "tween" novel. Something called The Merchant of Death. Didn't know what it was, but it was free for Kindle, so I d/l it. After a few pages, it seemed kind of juvenile, but I'm reading anyway. Entertainment is entertainment, right? It has a Harry Potter feel so far (I've only read the first HP) and is just getting intersting.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2009, 09:58:07 PM »

Finished F. Paul Wilson's Legacies Repairman Jack story and went right into Conspiracies.  I'm still really enjoying the series.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2009, 05:51:34 PM »

After finishing Brandon Sanderson's most recent novel, Warbreaker (which was excellent), I'm halfway through the first book of his Mistborn trilogy and it's pretty damn awesome as well.  Someone desperately needs to make a video game using the magic system in Mistborn. 
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2009, 11:47:03 PM »

Read in 2009:
Crucible: Spock--The Fire and the Rose
Dark Lord - The Rise of Darth Vader
Dark Forces 1 - Soldier for the Empire
Dark Forces 2 - Rebel Agent
Dark Forces 3 - Jedi Knight
I Will Teach You To Be Rich (If you haven't read this book, its good - life changing! - highly recommend it)
Allegiance
Darth Maul - Shadow Hunter
Darth Maul - Sabateur
Dark Empire 1
Dark Empire 2
Dark Empire 3
I, Jedi
Republic Commando - Hard Contact
Republic Commando - Triple Zero
Republic Commando - True Colors
Republic Commando - Order 66
Dark Nest 1 - The Joiner King