http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2015, 03:30:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My favorite cat in the world is dead  (Read 440 times)
Drazzil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2014, 02:08:57 AM »

Princess was my favorite cat in the world. I had her for 11 years but I suspect that she was actually much older. She died this afternoon about 3:30. She was very ill with kidney problems and was skin and bones, although lately I thought she was getting better and gaining weight. I had scheduled a needle biopsy of her kidneys to figure out what was wrong with her but that would have run me $600 so I was hoping she would gain weight and get better on her own (as she appeared to be doing)

This afternoon I got up and I found her in the closet, stretched out and rigid. I thought she was dead but she showed signs of life. I knew she was choking to death on vomit but didn't think to try to clear her airways because it sounded like her breathing was erratic and she had already gotten most of it in her lungs. I drove her to the vet but it was closed. I was in the process of driving her to the second vet but she died en route.

I would post a picture but I think right now it would be too painful.

RIP Princess. My little girl.

Edit for: I feel guilty as shit now for not having the $600 procedure done, and also for not thinking to clear her airways.
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 03:21:06 AM »

I'm very sorry for your loss.  I had a favorite cat pass away some years ago, and it was incredibly painful. icon_frown

-Autistic Angel
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 05:15:40 AM »

Sorry Drazzy.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:01:30 AM »

I'm really sorry for your loss. It's never fun. Do not blame yourself for what you did/didn't do, that will eat you alive for nothing. You took the best course of action you saw fit at the time. My wife and I beat ourselves up for awhile after one of our dogs had to be put down at age 6. We spent thousands apon thousands of dollars trying different things for months and months of time hoping for the best. It didn't work out, but we learned to realize that we tried our very best. While our best didn't give us the results we wanted, a difference was made. Once again, I'm very sorry for your loss.
Kvothe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 05:49:57 PM »

Very sorry Drazz, cats are so cool and I'm incredibly attached to mine (we have 3, but 2 have been with me for 10 years and one since sept).
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 03:41:17 PM »

Sorry, Drazzil. From our various threads here over the years (including mine on my late 16 year old cat Molly in 2010), many of us here have been in your shoes and empathize.

In Molly's case I was haunted by declining a $1,000+ thyroid irradiation procedure back around maybe 2002 in favor of lifetime thyroid medication. Probably when she had her congestive heart failure that summer, if I'd taken care of the thyroid condition back then, we could've better treated her. I ended up spending over a grand on her emergency vet care in her final months and I beat myself up a long time about whether I shouldn't have had her euthanized before she reached the critical stage (her blood circulation basically shut down while I was at work on a Friday), why didn't I go for the irradiation treatment almost a decade earlier etc.

When it was clear the emergency vet could do nothing more, I made the final decision at an emergency vet about 4 a.m. (Sept. 11, 2010), and probably never cried that much as an adult in my life.

I did find it was really only fellow cat and dog owners who would listen to me and share their own experiences, and that helped me a lot then. All I can really say is, don't beat yourself up about it.

I went to a cat adoption event at a Petco a couple months later, but just found my heart wasn't in it. Finally around August 2011 I felt ready, and my mom - who cares for my cat when I'm on the occasional biz trip - tagged along with me to a cat shelter one time and then an Animal Welfare League. And JJ the tuxedo cat won the audition as really the only cat who seemed to bond with me.  Now JJ is almost too bonded to me for his own good, but he's quite wonderful.  icon_smile I still have a couple photos of Molly around, and she's never quite far from my thoughts.

Every pet owner's different though. Some friends who lost a pet were so devastated, they just didn't want to own one again. Others wanted to run out and adopt another pet the next week. And some like me felt they needed some time and space to grieve, before they felt they had it in their heart to adopt another pet. imho, all of those are valid responses to losing a beloved pet, and I'd never pass judgement on anyone's decision in that regard. You'll know what's right for you.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn (Early Access)
-Titan Quest Gold (blast from the past)
-Darkest Dungeons
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 03:14:11 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 31, 2014, 03:41:17 PM

Every pet owner's different though. Some friends who lost a pet were so devastated, they just didn't want to own one again. Others wanted to run out and adopt another pet the next week.

My wife and I are already grappling with this. Our cat's still in good health but he's 16.5 years old, so we're steeling ourselves.

I just do the math. If Iggy dies tomorrow and we get another cat the next day, we will be 74 years old if it also lives 16 years. If he lives a little longer and we wait the usual mourning period, we might be dealing with another elderly cat when we're 76 or older. I don't think I want that burden if I'm so unfortunate as to live that long, and I don't want the restrictions on our tentative retirement plans in the interim. Basically, I feel like 58 is too old to commit to another cat.

My wife, OTOH, doesn't like the thought of potentially living another 20 years without a cat.

We are sympathetic to each other's viewpoints and I won't know how this turns out until after Iggy dies. I suspect that either a cat will choose us, or one won't. Or maybe we'll just get a fucking gerbil.  icon_biggrin

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Drazzil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 08:36:08 AM »

Still have four, but none could compare to Princess.

Edit for: Go to the shelter and adopt an older cat.

Cats, like cars seem to depreciate quite quickly once they are no longer brand new, you would be doing an adult cat a favor, or you could see if you could make provisions for the cat if something should happen to you guys.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:44:27 AM by Drazzil » Logged
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »

Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that! I lost a pet this past year and still cry sometimes.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 11:57:33 PM »

Quote from: Drazzil on January 01, 2015, 08:36:08 AM

Still have four, but none could compare to Princess.

Edit for: Go to the shelter and adopt an older cat.

Cats, like cars seem to depreciate quite quickly once they are no longer brand new, you would be doing an adult cat a favor, or you could see if you could make provisions for the cat if something should happen to you guys.

That option has been floated. We're both reluctant to miss out on the fun of kittenhood and the early bonding, but making a shorter commitment has some advantages.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: