http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 12:36:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books Read 2012 Edition  (Read 7196 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2012, 02:13:57 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 08, 2012, 05:26:50 AM

Just finished up A Game of Thrones.  damn, I wish I had read this a long time ago.  such a good read and in no way spoiled by knowing how the first book ends.  it's quite a long read but it felt like it flew by in no time at all. 

I agree. I started reading them least year and am all caught up. Book 3 is my favorite. Book 4 starts slow and ends awesome. Book 5 is consistently ok, but not stupendous.  The whole series is worth reading.

PM re: wool.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2012, 05:11:27 PM »

I finished David Wong's This Book Has Spiders and I think it was my favorite book of the year so far.

I just burned through half of Tad Williams latest book The Dirty Streets of Heaven. Can't seem to put this one down.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2012, 03:37:28 PM »

I finished Heroes Die (Over world #1) by Matthew Stover and it was fantastic.  Anyone ever read this series??

I'm now half way through Blade of Tyshalle (Overworld 2) and highly recommend this series, especially if you enjoyed "Ready Player One"

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2012, 11:40:23 PM »

The Argentine Fight for the Falklands by Martin Middlebrook

This is a much deeper treatise on the actual battle history of the conflict, giving little coverage to the political maneuverings of the players involved.  Middlebrook actually traveled to Argentina and interviewed a large number of the participants on that side to flesh out the reports and puts in some good work to dispel some of the propaganda and outright reporting errors that were persistent during and after the war.

The Osprey book I read earlier was a good overview, giving me just enough to whet my appetite and send me looking for a deeper look.  I think this book is probably fairly unique in the English-speaking world in that it doesn't have a focus solely on the British side, the easier one to chronicle and document.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2012, 11:24:49 PM »

K-19 The Widowmaker The Secret Story of The Soviet Nuclear Submarine by Peter Huchthausen,  Capt. USN (Ret.)

This book, while touching a bit on the film that graces the cover, is much more a historical look not only into the setting of the film, but also the overall history of the Soviet submarine force and its disasters, as well as the environmental legacy that it's leaving behind. 

The characters of the film do not correspond directly to any real people, which is explained in Katheryn Bigelow's afterword.  But, despite Hollywood's taint, the book in an excellent read by the retired captain.  If you're interested in hearing about the history of the Cold War under the seas from the other side, including some of Captain Zatayev's own personal journals, I recommend it.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2012, 01:51:40 AM »

I finished up Drift by Rachel Maddow. Man that was a good book and surprisingly non-partisan.  The section on the nuclear stockpile was particularly scary.  The very idea that we are no longer technologically knowledgeable enough to create replacement parts for the nuclear weapons that our fathers or grandparents were able to make is especially frightening. Did nobody think it would be a good idea to write down instructions on how to do this kind of stuff before all the old guys died/retired?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2012, 08:41:21 PM »

I finished Blade of Tyshalle (Overworld, #2) http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/304123

Fantastic continuation of Cain, the most bad ass anti-hero of all time.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »

World War Z by Max Brooks

I only decided to read this after reading some of the stuff in the movie thread about the movie being made based on the book. I am not a zombie fanboy so I went in a little apprehensive. It did take several pages to finally get into the book but overall I would say I enjoyed it. The books style didn't lend itself to addictive reading but there some segments that were very, very good.

An interesting way to approach the subject and it was handled very well. You learned about the "war" as you read the individual interviews of people who had survived the war.

This isn't a book I could recommend to everyone but I do think for sci-fi fans it probably should be a guaranteed read.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2012, 02:09:49 PM »

Gave up on two books:

Mockingjay. Everyone I asked about it said quit so I'm stopping at 40% complete

Drift: Don't know who Rachael Maddow is, but she comes across as a biased pompous ass.  Quit at 52%.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2012, 04:50:01 PM »

Just got my hands on the new Pendergast installment Two Graves.  After the way the prior entry ended... drool

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2012, 06:26:05 AM »

Finished up book 2 and 3 of ASoFaI. 

man, what a ride book three was.  a completely gut wrenching moment and suddenly the story makes you know one thing.  this isn't about who you think and hope it is.  he also turns one of the characters you hated in book 1 into one you pity and root for.  a few characters, actually. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2012, 03:13:01 PM »

Red Eagles: America's Secret MiGs by Steve Davies

This book is awesome, as it sideswipes some family history for me.  This details the acquisition and exploitation of export MiG aircraft that found their way into the hands of the US military.  The unit was the 4477th Test and Evaluation Squadron based out of Tonopah Test Range in the Nevada desert, just a short skip from Groom Lake.

During the 80s, my father was attached to another unit that utilized the Tonopah airfield, the 4450th Tactical Group.  Seeing the grin on his face when I asked him if he'd ever seen the MiGs was priceless.  He gave me a one-word answer of "Yes". 

The book was made with the cooperation of the Air Force, even making the reading list of the Chief of Staff for 2011.

If you are at all interested in the history of Cold War air preparedness, I highly recommend it.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: