http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 08:14:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books Read 2012 Edition  (Read 7969 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2012, 04:16:23 AM »

The Knock at the Door: A Mother's Survival of the Armenian Genocide by Margaret Ahnert

This is the tale of one woman's childhood in Armenia, her survival of the genocide visited upon her people by the Turks, her survival, and immigration to America.  The story is told to her daughter, the author, who intersperses the stories with her visits to her in the Armenian retirement home.

I enjoyed getting to read the story and see not only what the woman went through, but also how those stories had an impact on her daughter and extended family.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2012, 06:23:53 PM »

Finished
The Rook: A Novel by Daniel O'Malley and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Blurb:

"The body you are wearing used to be mine." So begins the letter Myfanwy Thomas is holding when she awakes in a London park surrounded by bodies all wearing latex gloves. With no recollection of who she is, Myfanwy must follow the instructions her former self left behind to discover her identity and track down the agents who want to destroy her.

She soon learns that she is a Rook, a high-ranking member of a secret organization called the Chequy that battles the many supernatural forces at work in Britain. She also discovers that she possesses a rare, potentially deadly supernatural ability of her own.

In her quest to uncover which member of the Chequy betrayed her and why, Myfanwy encounters a person with four bodies, an aristocratic woman who can enter her dreams, a secret training facility where children are transformed into deadly fighters, and a conspiracy more vast than she ever could have imagined.

Filled with characters both fascinating and fantastical, THE ROOK is a richly inventive, suspenseful, and often wry thriller that marks an ambitious debut from a promising young writer.

Sent from my Acer Iconia A500 using Tapatalk

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 03:47:05 AM »

Might as well add an entry now and again.  Maybe it will get me to read more.

I've read:
The Hunger Games
Catching Fire

love the premise of the series, but I really feel the young adult approach treatment.  I got both via amazon prime rental and read through each within a few days of downloading them.  The ending to the second one is so sharp and sudden you could easily see it setting up the third book a mile away.  It's also a bit hard to empathize with the main character when she's portrayed as such a whiny girl in one scene and then a badass warrior in the next. 

KC

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2012, 11:55:13 AM »

I've read the three Hunger Games books. It's hard to believe that they are intended for the teen audience. Although the romance scenes are rated PG, the action scenes should be rated R.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 01:21:05 AM »

Finished feast for crows.  It got really good after the first 500 pages.

Definitely thr weakest book of the series so far.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2012, 10:31:09 PM »

I am reading the Song and Ice Books and I started wondering about some of the other large, epic type stories and started wondering about Herman Wouks WW2 books, Winds of Change and War and Remembrance.

Has anyone read those books books and if so, what did you think? They aren't something I would normally read but I do enjoy history and the idea of following a group of people through a historical period like that does interest me.

Any other "like" suggestions would be welcome.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 02:54:02 AM »

Finished Catching Fire.  I like the series but am occasionally put off by the writing.  Really enjoying the series though.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2012, 12:14:42 PM »

ok heres a helluva deal.   I just picked up the Hunger Games trilogy for $4.05 in epub format.  Yeah   thats not a typo.  Kobo books ( heres the link Kobo Link  )  is having a sale with a special code that gives you 80% off on all Hunger game e-books, including the full trilogy.  The code is :   HungerGamesDeal2

I just finished my purchase and the code works.  If you havent read this yet and can use book in e-pub format, then this is pretty hard to pass up.  You can also use the code on the individual books if youve already purchased one or two of them, and save on whats left of the trilogy.

just found out that you need to alter the promo code (hungergamesdeal, hungergamesdeal2, hungergamesdeal3) for 3 separate transactions, if you want the individual books.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:26:35 PM by rshetts2 » Logged

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2012, 06:53:59 PM »

George, Nicholas and Wilhelm: Three Royal Cousins and the Road to World War I

Oddly, Amazon doesn't list a Kindle version for the US, despite the fact that I checked out said version from my local library.

Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany, Emperor Nicholas II of Russia, and King George V of Great Britain, all grandchildren of Queen Victoria, heads of state leading into WWI.  And yet, despite their roles, none of them suited for the leadership roles in which they were thrust.

The book takes a look at the rulers from a very personal level, showing off their personalities and character, which was to have a huge impact on the world at large.  Wilhelm, with his inferiority complex to the British, Nicholas with his cloistered reticence, and George, the last to come to rule, with his complete lack of focus.

Growing up in the royal families, it is made clear time and again that they had nothing in their upbringings to make a direct connection to their countries and people, no ability to determine matters of import from trivialities. Each man wants to be the autocrat, yet are trapped by the men around them, fed what others want them to see, badgered or ignored when their presence is inconvenient.

It truly is a sad treatise on the world of the late 19th century that these men, with their lack of connection to reality, were the ones that allowed millions to be driven to their death through their lack of leadership and disconnect from reality.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2012, 03:02:59 PM »

Finished Tooth and Nail.  Some of the worst writing I've ever seen.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 30, 2012, 03:02:59 PM

Finished Tooth and Nail.  Some of the worst writing I've ever seen.

Who is the author?

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2012, 01:43:03 AM »

Craig dilouie
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2012, 03:17:29 PM »

Neuromancer by William Gibson

My first time reading it.  This is the granddaddy of cyberpunk novels, and I find myself wishing that I'd gotten a hold of it when I was in junior high.  This truly is an excellent read, but of course, it's been ripped off by everyone and their dog over the last 28 years. 

The book still holds up, to my mind at least.  I enjoyed it and look forward to exploring the genre along kind of a historical vein, reading stuff in a general order of release.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2012, 02:08:09 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 02, 2012, 03:17:29 PM

My first time reading it.  This is the granddaddy of cyberpunk novels, and I find myself wishing that I'd gotten a hold of it when I was in junior high.  This truly is an excellent read, but of course, it's been ripped off by everyone and their dog over the last 28 years. 

The book still holds up, to my mind at least.  I enjoyed it and look forward to exploring the genre along kind of a historical vein, reading stuff in a general order of release.

Ive been thinking about picking this up too.  Just may!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »

Finshed Cannery Row.  Steinbeck was a genius.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2012, 12:35:58 AM »

Quote from: ATB on April 01, 2012, 01:43:03 AM

Craig dilouie

Craig is a nice guy but I have not read his books. I have a copy of Infection around here somewhere.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2012, 11:14:33 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 03, 2012, 02:08:56 PM

Finshed Cannery Row.  Steinbeck was a genius.

Great book.  They also did a movie ( loosely ) based on it that is a bit of a hidden gem.  It stars Nick Nolte and Debra Winger and its quite entertaining. The supporting cast it fantastic and the music in the movie is excellent as well.  Dr John is just awesome on the piano.   If you havent seen it, its worth a shot.

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2012, 03:40:12 AM »

Just finished reading The Art Of Racing In The Rain by Garth Stein.

LOVED IT.

Dog, cars, set in my own back yard, how could I not love it. Though I didn't shed any tears, those of you more sappy types better watch out.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2012, 05:00:25 AM »

Quote from: ATB on April 03, 2012, 02:08:09 PM

My first time reading it.  This is the granddaddy of cyberpunk novels, and I find myself wishing that I'd gotten a hold of it when I was in junior high.  This truly is an excellent read, but of course, it's been ripped off by everyone and their dog over the last 28 years.  

The book still holds up, to my mind at least.  I enjoyed it and look forward to exploring the genre along kind of a historical vein, reading stuff in a general order of release.

Ive been thinking about picking this up too.  Just may!
odd to think that it's been  at least half as long since I first read it and it was already pretty heavily borrowed from then.  I may have to go dig out my copy somewhere and then reread the sequel.  

I finished up the last of the hunger games and while the trilogy is fun reading, she really has a bad habit to end chapters with an overly provocative sentence.  not cliffhangers necessarily, but it just smacks of bad writing when so many chapters end this way.  I am not so fond of her that I'll blindly consider other books she writes, not like I have with other writers (scalzi, gaiman, for instance)

I also finished Patient Zero and was somewhat let down by the ending, but that's more due to how I went into the book than anything else.  when taken as a zombie apocalypse novel, it fails to deliver.  but when I saw that there were other books with the same characters and read the blurbs it goes great as part of a modern take on something like Hellboy mixed with NCIS.  would make a good series and seems to be tagged for an eventual movie adaption.

I went off the beaten path and picked up a book from a complete unknown in the self-pub/small pub section of amazon.  Wool by Hugh Howey.  it's basically a post apoc, but unlike Fallout like environments, the outside will kill you.  you can read almost the entire first story by sampling the omnibus edition.  I did and bought the rest right afterwards.  

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2012, 04:12:58 PM »

Just blew through a re-read of Patient Zero in a couple of days, now flying through Dragon Factory, planning to revisit The King of Plagues, and then I'll be ready to read the recently released Assassin's Code (all from Jonathan Maberry).   drool

It's been a while since I went back to Joe Ledger's beginnings, and man is it a fun ride.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2012, 06:41:03 PM »

My first time reading it.  This is the granddaddy of cyberpunk novels, and I find myself wishing that I'd gotten a hold of it when I was in junior high.  This truly is an excellent read, but of course, it's been ripped off by everyone and their dog over the last 28 years.

Don't feel too bad, Gibson lives in my home town and I still haven't completed Neuromancer. Perhaps even more embarassing; I met him once at a local bookstore (the awesome Granville Mall Books, sadly now closed) signing in the late 80's and didn't know who he was. Hey I was there to buy computer programming books, not to get someone's John Henry.  Tongue  At 1 point I was litteraly the only person in the room and when I took a pause from browsing he asked if I wanted a book signed. Of course not having a clue who he was I said "no, not really; who are you?" When he explained he was the author of Neruomancer I recognized the book. Since there was no longer anyone around we talked for about 20 minutes and he was genuinely interested in my adventures in computer programming; mostly PROLOG at the time. I bought the Waite Groups' C Programming book that night and he singed it with the words "You really should be reading Neuromancer."  slywink

Sadly I no longer have the programming book. I've started Neuromancer a few times and I've even gotten quite far into it, but never finished. I've completed many of his other novels including The Sprawl and Bridge trilogies, The Difference Engine and Pattern Recognition - just not Neuromancer. I think my reason for not completing it is subconscious; always having it to read reminds me of meeting Gibson.

Anyhow, enough of tripping down memory lane. Some good fantasy novels I've read recently:

Dragon Age: Asunder by David Gaider (mini review in the General Gaming forum)
The Last Wish: Introducing The Witcher by Andpzej Sapkowski
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:40:07 PM by kronovan » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2012, 07:00:22 PM »

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

I watched Blade Runner back in 2005 (Theatrical version) and just didn't care for it.  So I decided, after Neuromancer, I'd read the source material.  Didn't care for that either.  Was kinda bored with it for most of the time.  I thought if the story had followed Phil Resch through his journey, it would have been a much better story.

Meh. 

I thought about adding a different version to Netflix and giving it another pass, but based on the comments in the other thread, I believe I'm done with trying to figure out why it's so special to everyone else.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2012, 01:30:44 AM »

I finished The Book Thief and Lions of Al Rassan by Kay and thought both were really outstanding.

Now onto the next Joe Ledger, which I already can't put down.

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2012, 03:27:34 PM »

Proximity: A Novel of the Navy's Elite Bomb Squad by Stephen Phillips

It entertained me enough to finish it, even though I doubt I learned much from it that I hadn't seen in documentaries or an episode or two of The Unit.

The one mystery of whodunit is patently telegraphed at one point in the book, the female characters have no depth, and the denouement is quick and unsatisfying. 

Given that it's written by a former Navy EOD tech and is his first novel, I'm not really surprised, I guess.  I didn't consider it a waste of time to read the book, but it wasn't one that I'll ever want to revisit.  Unless this is well in your wheelhouse of interests, you can skip it. 

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2012, 04:39:53 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on May 03, 2012, 01:30:44 AM

Now onto the next Joe Ledger, which I already can't put down.

Still reading through the preceding stories to refresh my memory.  But about to be done with The Dragon Factory and then on to The King of Plagues.  I'm reading as fast as I can so that I can read the copy of Assassin's Code sitting right here in my living room beckoning to me.   drool

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2012, 03:47:01 PM »

Im about 1/3rd of the way through Assassins Code.  Its a very good read so far.  I would not be surprised to see Ledger hit the big screen in the not to distant future as it seems these books have become quite popular.

edited to add:  According to the author blurb on Amazon, Sony pictures has optioned the Ledger series for development in to a TV series.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 03:50:01 PM by rshetts2 » Logged

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2012, 10:13:16 PM »

Books Read:

The Stranger by Albert Camus

In Progress:

A Confederacy of Dunces
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »

Land with No Sun: A Year in Vietnam With the 173rd Airborne by Command Sergeant Major Ted G. Arthurs

The book seemed to be written in a serial style, as the author jumps around in the timeline and explains some of the same events and items repeatedly, but that's not why I read these books.

It was an interesting look into the hell that was fighting in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam during the height of the conflict and a fitting tribute to those men that fought there.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2012, 10:28:28 PM »

Blackout by Mira Grant.  Excellent conclusion to the Newsflesh trilogy.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2012, 11:26:16 PM »

Red Cell - by Mark Henshaw

Good, realistic political/spy thriller
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2012, 01:46:15 AM »

Woah forgot Blackout came out this month.  I know what I'm reading next smile

I finished and loved Assassin's Code, now I'm reading Rules of Prey

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2012, 01:48:29 AM »

Oh yeah, I also blew through Mark Lawrence's Prince of Thorns. It was a quick fun read, brutal though.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2012, 06:15:50 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on May 23, 2012, 01:46:15 AM

Woah forgot Blackout came out this month.  I know what I'm reading next smile

I finished and loved Assassin's Code, now I'm reading Rules of Prey

I read a number of stories from the Sandford "Prey" series but eventually lost interest.  I don't think murder suspense/mystery is quite my thing.  That isn't to say they aren't compelling reads, just outside of my circle of interest.  Hopefully you get more mileage out of them.  There's certainly no shortage of options in the series.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2012, 01:07:23 PM »

Finished James Rollins' Sandstorm earlier this month. Currently working through A Map of Bones, the 2nd book in the the Sigma series.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2012, 04:12:50 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 24, 2012, 01:07:23 PM

Finished James Rollins' Sandstorm earlier this month. Currently working through A Map of Bones, the 2nd book in the the Sigma series.

My wife and I are fans of this series.  While it can sometimes be similar to Dan Brown's religious scavenger hunt yarns, it has a lot more guns, and better writing.  And better characters.  And better pacing.  Yeah, it's just better.

Finished The Dragon Factory for a 2nd time, now working through The King of Plagues before finally jumping into Assassin's Code. 

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2012, 08:30:28 PM »

Just getting into Blackout, really digging it so far.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2012, 12:57:54 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 28, 2012, 04:12:50 PM

Quote from: rickfc on May 24, 2012, 01:07:23 PM

My wife and I are fans of this series.  While it can sometimes be similar to Dan Brown's religious scavenger hunt yarns, it has a lot more guns, and better writing.  And better characters.  And better pacing.  Yeah, it's just better.

Finished The Dragon Factory for a 2nd time, now working through The King of Plagues before finally jumping into Assassin's Code. 

I'm about halfway through Black Order now. I can't seem to put it down...
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2012, 07:00:11 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 31, 2012, 12:57:54 PM

It's been a while since a new one was released, but I recall really enjoying what I read up to and includin the most recent entry.  My wife is a huge Seichan fan and loves whenever she's featured in a story.  There were a few in which she was noticeably absent, but when she gets involved she's a fun character to follow and wonder about. 

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2012, 07:12:16 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 31, 2012, 07:00:11 PM

Quote from: rickfc on May 31, 2012, 12:57:54 PM

It's been a while since a new one was released, but I recall really enjoying what I read up to and includin the most recent entry.  My wife is a huge Seichan fan and loves whenever she's featured in a story.  There were a few in which she was noticeably absent, but when she gets involved she's a fun character to follow and wonder about. 

Yeah, she was a good character in Map of Bones. Her involvement has been pretty nil so far in Black Order, but I think that's about to change.

Did you know that there's a new Sigma Series entry coming out in June? It's called Bloodline.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 31, 2012, 07:12:16 PM

Did you know that there's a new Sigma Series entry coming out in June? It's called Bloodline.

Yep.  Been waiting for it since The Devil Colony.  Looking forward to it, and as I'll be about ready for something new after finishing Assassin's Code by Jonathan Maberry it'll be perfect timing.  I'm already on the library reserve list.   icon_cool

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: