http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 05:05:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bob Hoskins has Parkinsons/Retires from Acting  (Read 829 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »

This is sad news,i always enjoyed Bob Hoskins,although not seen him in enough good things of late

http://news.sky.com/story/970319/bob-hoskins-retires-from-acting-over-illness

I think my favourite film he is in(and i am guessing maybe other people's favourites as well)was Who Framed Roger Rabbit,The Long Good Friday and Mona Lisa are worth mentioning as well

Bob Hoskins is to retire from acting after revealing he has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

The 69-year-old British star's films include the underworld classic The Long Good Friday and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, a mix of live action and animation.

Hoskins' agent announced he was withdrawing from acting after a "wonderful career" and would be spending time with his family.

A statement issued on his behalf said: "Bob Hoskins wishes to announce that he will be retiring from acting, following his diagnosis of Parkinson's disease last autumn.

"He wishes to thank all the great and brilliant people he has worked with over the years, and all of his fans who have supported him during a wonderful career.

"Bob is now looking forward to his retirement with his family, and would greatly appreciate that his privacy be respected at this time."

Hoskins' parts over the years have ranged from gritty gangster films to comedy roles.

He was seen earlier this year playing one of the seven dwarves in Snow White & The Huntsman, which starred Kristen Stewart and Charlize Theron.

I guess that means he is out of the long awaited Roger Rabbit sequel(if it ever gets made)

Smee in Spielberg's Hook

I remember hearing the story of Brian De Palma was to cast Bob in The Untouchables as Al Capone after Robert DeNiro could not be cast,but when Robert DeNiro changed his mind,Brian De Palma sent Bob Hoskins $10,000,Bob Hoskins was amazed and gave the money to charity(EDIT:Okay looking on IMDB it says $200,000...oh well,i heard $10k,LOL)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:47:15 PM »

This is one of those 'oh he's still alive?' moments.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:24:15 PM »

Hoskin's is an actor's actor.  Sorry to hear about this.  I've always enjoyed his work.  He's one of those rare character actors that could bounce between hero and villain with believability.  icon_frown

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 08:46:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 08, 2012, 07:47:15 PM

This is one of those 'oh he's still alive?' moments.

as the quote said(which i didn't know)he was in Snow White and the Huntsman which was released a month or two ago,it looks like that is going to be his last film

Favourite Quote:from 1988
"My life has taken off - my life, my career - everything. I can honestly say I've never been happier. I'm walking around thinking any minute now, 25 tons of horse-shit is going to fall on my head."

I also forgot he was in Super Mario Bros icon_mad
The worst thing I ever did? Super Mario Bros. (1993). It was a f**kin' nightmare. The whole experience was a nightmare. It had a husband-and-wife team directing, whose arrogance had been mistaken for talent. After so many weeks, their own agent told them to get off the set! F**kin' nightmare. F**kin' idiots.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 08:59:55 PM »

Game Informer had an article on the debacle that was Super Mario Bros.  Hoskins actually suffered a head wound at some point after a drunk costar smacked him with a prop.  

You gotta love this quote from imdb found in the bio for the female director Hoskin's referring to in the quote above:

Jankel then made her move to Hollywood, where she co-directed D.O.A, a thriller, starring Meg Ryan & Dennis Quaid which was praised for its "quirky, quicksilver style", and earned "two thumbs up" from film critics Siskel and Ebert and Super Mario Brothers, a fantasy, starring Bob Hoskins & Dennis Hopper, was hailed as "Hilarious and Exciting - a cross between Indiana Jones, Blade Runner & Star Wars."
   icon_lol
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:02:13 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:17:03 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 08, 2012, 08:59:55 PM

Game Informer had an article on the debacle that was Super Mario Bros.  Hoskins actually suffered a head wound at some point after a drunk costar smacked him with a prop.  

it would have made me feel better if you said that was before he signed to do the movie  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 04:58:15 PM »

I guess I'm the only person here who saw "Snow White and the Huntsman" this summer. Remember? I said I liked it better than Prometheus. Still do. Not saying it's a better movie, it just didn't piss me off.  icon_razz

Hoskins was fine in it as one of the dwarves. If that's his finale performance, it was a solid one imho. A sequel was OK'd and apparently is going forward in spite of the director's Stewart canoodling.

Outside of that though, yeah, my reaction was like with Peter O'Toole's recent "retirement announcement."

"That guy's still alive? He's still making movies? What?"  saywhat

Sometimes I'm not sure why these folks make a big announcement and then say "please respect my right to privacy." I mean, if the world already thinks you're retired and/or dead, why not just lay low and fade away quietly if you don't want people making a fuss about it anyway?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 05:01:15 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 06:17:29 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 09, 2012, 04:58:15 PM

Sometimes I'm not sure why these folks make a big announcement and then say "please respect my right to privacy." I mean, if the world already thinks you're retired and/or dead, why not just lay low and fade away quietly if you don't want people making a fuss about it anyway?

WTF?   icon_confused

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 06:08:50 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 08, 2012, 08:24:15 PM

Hoskin's is an actor's actor.  Sorry to hear about this.  I've always enjoyed his work.  He's one of those rare character actors that could bounce between hero and villain with believability.  icon_frown

One of my absolute favorite Hoskins performances was his role in Unleashed.  Superb.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: