http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 03:39:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blu-Ray Vs. HD-DVD  (Read 1116 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2004, 01:51:29 PM »

So I guess we're going Blu-Ray, eh? smile

A couple of weeks ago, you might have heard about Sony buying MGM. In the digital format wars, MGM was the Golden Prize that the main powerhouses of Sony and Warner Bros. were at war over. Sony won to the tune of $5 Billion (pinkie finger to lip) after Warner pulled out. Since the creation of DVD by Warren Liebfarb and Warner Bros., there has been a competition in which format would be universally accepted. There are two factions, one led by Warner and one led by Sony. After DVD became the new gold standard, the question became: "What will the standard become on the next-gen DVD format"? It now appears that Blu-Ray will be the gold standard, all because Sony bought MGM. Why, you might ask, is one studio the de facto reason why a tech standard will be adopted?

Try MGM's library of over 4,000 movies. This is akin to someone taking control of the Library of Alexandria. Whomever controls the heart of knowledge wields an awful lot of power and influence. It's good that Blu-Ray is as powerful as it is, but what Sony nicely leaves out of their press release is that all current test of this techonology render current DVD players completely obsolete and yes, that includes that nifty 18x DVD burner you just installed in your PC. If you haven't bought a DVD player yet (and you're in the stone age now, for the record) then don't bother unless you can get one for less than $100 because that's what it will be worth in the next two years.

Welcome to the future, kids. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 02:34:15 PM »

My nifty 16X DVD Burner was only $90 though smile

I think it would be fitting if you posted a bit of info on blu ray for those of us who have only read tid bits here and there.

Is the time frame really 2 years?  Wow.  The discs will be cheap right?  Made of some type of paper?

Go Gunners...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 02:54:15 PM »

That's what the ballpark is, though it remains to be seen. Bear in mind that Sony has been working on this for at least two years already, so I'd imagine the first-gen Blu-Ray players will be available in a two year window. I'll dig up some more links and post them.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 02:59:10 PM »

Home Theater Forum has quite a few good things going in it, you just have to wade through quite a bit of stuff.

Blu-Ray.Com might also be a good place to start. slywink

Here's a good comparison as well.

Happy reading! smile

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 03:05:46 PM »

Thanks man! smile

Go Gunners...
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 03:07:47 PM »

Yes, Sony now owns about 40% of the movies ever made.  Does that mean Blu-Ray will be the defacto platform?  Maybe not.  We could very well end up with another VHS vs. Beta (or DVD vs. Divx) situation here...possibly with Sony losing out in the end.

Chances are both formats will come out and the consumers will be the deciding factor of which one goes on.  Whoever loses gets to sulk in the corner until the next go-around.

Just because Sony owns 40% of movies doesn't mean they will dictate what consumers choose to buy.  The younger movie buying crowd isn't going to care as much for MGM's catalog movies from decades ago (MGM's biggest grab for the younger crowd would be the Bond movies, but they are all already available on DVD), so Sony's influence may not be as great as many people think it is.

It will be interesting to watch.  I would not be surprised to see an introduction within 2 years, but I don't see any mass proliferation of the medium for a while after that.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 03:14:27 PM »

DivX is small and all, but damn it is picky and processor dependent.  I have a settop box that plays DivX and the pixelation on some movies (probably dependent on how they are encoded or how shite the source is) is terrible.  

I don't think we'll see DivX go away like Betamax though.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 03:39:49 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
It will be interesting to watch.  I would not be surprised to see an introduction within 2 years, but I don't see any mass proliferation of the medium for a while after that.

Oh no doubt. Hell, DVD players hit in '96-'97 and I didn't get one myself until early 2000 and I'm one of the most ardent followers of the format you'll ever find. Control of the MGM library may not be the end all-be all of ownership, but it gives Sony a big frickin' stick to start swinging when they want to start "updating" all the Bond movies and Rocky movies in 5 years with another 20-30GBs of special features per disc. An example on Blu-Ray versus Current Tech, Lucas himself has mentioned that now was really the best time to get Star Wars out on disc even though he wanted to wait. Translation: He saw the future coming quickly, and they wanted to get the OT out on disc in this generation for some extra cash.

I mean really, one frickin' disc of extras for the ENTIRE original trilogy? That's an insult on par with the one disc we got for the Indiana Jones series. While lore has it on certain movies that there are vaults somewhere with tons of extra footage and miscellaneous things, those six movies REALLY LIVE UP to the myth. For example, Barbara Streisand whipping Harrison Ford on the set of Temple of Doom while Carrie Fisher tries to defend him as a practical joke - where is it? All the cut test footage of the cut scenes from the OT that we only get stills of in the DVD set? Where is it?

The new format will live up to the hype I think (in addition to the volumes of extra storage, the quality of both audio and video dwarfs current tech) but when we start converting over to it, Hollywood damn well better go that extra mile. smile

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 03:56:23 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
DivX is small and all, but damn it is picky and processor dependent.  I have a settop box that plays DivX and the pixelation on some movies (probably dependent on how they are encoded or how shite the source is) is terrible.  

I don't think we'll see DivX go away like Betamax though.

You're talking about something totally different.  When DVD players first came out there was something called Divx discs where you purchased a movie for cheap (like $3.99 or something) and the disc would no longer be able to be used after a certain number of times watched.

Divx thought people would only want to watch a movie a certain number of times and would pay the cheaper price than owning the DVD movie you can watch over and over again.  Circuit City was the big backer of Divx...the others went for the selling of the more expensive DVD movies that you buy today.

You're talking about the Divx codec, which is the same in name only to what I was trying to compare biggrin

Xbox Live: AgtFox
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 04:14:58 PM »

I think it was Divx, Circuit City, and Paramount were the main backers of the form. God, did that go over like a lead balloon. smile There was an ad for Circuit City where this guy would proclaim the wonders of Divx, and people on the internet tracked him down. Turned out he was a former weather man for some station in the Carolinas I think it was. Anyway, that was a case of VHS vs. Beta all over again, but the superior format won out.

With HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray, it's another format war that the consumers DO NOT WANT. But tell that to the Powers That Be. smile

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 05:19:48 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Try MGM's library of over 4,000 movies. This is akin to someone taking control of the Library of Alexandria. Whomever controls the heart of knowledge wields an awful lot of power and influence.

I feel like you're describing Civilization strategy all of a sudden. I can't imagine why... biggrin

And personally, I'll be happy with my DVD burner for a while. Sure, 50GB on a disc will be nice, but I'll stay with my 5GB burner until I need to adjust.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: