http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 04:26:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockbuster online now $14.99 for 3 w/ 2 free in-store!  (Read 1818 times)
lokiju
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2004, 05:07:26 PM »

I can't believe they have once again lowered their prices, this time to $14.99 for 3 web rentals, plus the 2-3 free coupons you get for in-store with no late fees...Netflix must be pissed as they just lowered theirs to $17 something to keep up with Blockbuster not too long ago....

I changed from Netflix and have never looked back.

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 08:32:47 PM »

Competition is good.  Netflix will lower their prices and everyone that gets their movies online will win.  Even with the free rentals that would not be enough to get me into a video store nowadays.  With the higher overhead, I wonder how long Blockbuster will be able to maintain this level of price slashing?
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 11:23:48 PM »

Quote from: "mori"
Competition is good.  Netflix will lower their prices and everyone that gets their movies online will win.  Even with the free rentals that would not be enough to get me into a video store nowadays.  With the higher overhead, I wonder how long Blockbuster will be able to maintain this level of price slashing?

Agreed on the competition.  It's already saving me $5 a month at least.  I can't figure out why you'd skip out on free rentals via walking into a store though?  I believe Blockbuster makes enough off of each dvd in the long run to not have to worry about pricing...there's no way Netflix will be able to outlast them financially.

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 11:52:33 PM »

Quote from: "lokiju"

...there's no way Netflix will be able to outlast them financially.

I'm not so sure about that. Until Blockbuster online can prove they can match Netflix's lightning fast ship times (for most), they still aren't the winner here. Not even at $3/mo cheaper. The bottom line is #ofRentals/fee = cost per rental. Right now, Netflix is very low in cost per rental because of great speed.

Walmart Online has been $15/mo for a while, and aren't good at all due to very slow ship times.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 01:14:52 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

...there's no way Netflix will be able to outlast them financially.

I'm not so sure about that. Until Blockbuster online can prove they can match Netflix's lightning fast ship times (for most), they still aren't the winner here. Not even at $3/mo cheaper. The bottom line is #ofRentals/fee = cost per rental. Right now, Netflix is very low in cost per rental because of great speed.

Walmart Online has been $15/mo for a while, and aren't good at all due to very slow ship times.

Well, to be fair, you are comparing a company (albeit one of the largest) that only has a small percentage of income from dvds whereas Blockbuster is dvds, and therefore has a bigger stake in this.  They will open more shipping locations in no time.  They have only been operating the online venture for what, 6 months?

mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2004, 01:21:57 AM »

Quote from: "mori"

Agreed on the competition.  It's already saving me $5 a month at least.  I can't figure out why you'd skip out on free rentals via walking into a store though?  I believe Blockbuster makes enough off of each dvd in the long run to not have to worry about pricing...there's no way Netflix will be able to outlast them financially.

Because I would have to drive to their location, get out of my car, deal with the "people", stand in line, etc.
I am enquiring in the OO forum thread about who may have the deepest pockets.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2004, 03:34:50 AM »

I don't know why Blockbuster doesn't just do a monthly fee but with their local stores. Cut out the seperate rental fee per movie with lates fees all together.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2004, 03:44:52 AM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
I don't know why Blockbuster doesn't just do a monthly fee but with their local stores. Cut out the seperate rental fee per movie with lates fees all together.

Many BB locations did this via something I think they called the monthly freedom pass (they have it for games now too), where your credit card was charged like $25 a month for unlimited store rentals, but participation varied store to store.

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2004, 03:25:36 PM »

I think they are going to do this for everybody after the first of the year. I just got a month of rentals for 14.99. I have watched 10 movies in the last 4 days so far.  :lol: They are making the adjustments they need to make to remain competative. Often big companies are slow to do this. To their dismay. I usually go to family video instead of blockbuster for other reasons. They do rent movies and games for a week for 2.50 and you can rent a game for a night for a buck. Which allows you to check them out for basically nothing. They also have a bigger and more diverse game selection than blockbuster does. The biggest reason tho, is you can buy any movie they have on the shelf for 10 bucks even new ones once they have been out for a month or so. They come in the original boxes unlike blockbuster who uses their own boxes which aren't nearly as good. They haven't dealt with any of this.

lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 02:06:17 AM »

I just saw this on BB's website:

"In 2005, BLOCKBUSTER Online will gain inventory support from our network of more than 4,500 BLOCKBUSTER stores nationwide."

So shipping will be super duper fast.    biggrin

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2004, 02:22:34 AM »

Gamefly needs more competition, though.  Blockbuster can jump in here as well, and I'm surprised they haven't yet.  Ah well, I'm not buying any games (other than getting my X-Box fixed, spending my Xmas Gift Card, and getting FFTA, and getting TotalGaming.net) at all in 2005.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2004, 03:35:38 AM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
Gamefly needs more competition, though.  Blockbuster can jump in here as well, and I'm surprised they haven't yet.  Ah well, I'm not buying any games (other than getting my X-Box fixed, spending my Xmas Gift Card, and getting FFTA, and getting TotalGaming.net) at all in 2005.

Yeah, one of Blocbuster's big mistakes was that they always alienated gamers from movie buffs in all their deals and such.  Now at least they offer an unlimited gaming deal in-store, much like their freedom pass.

mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2004, 04:12:06 AM »

"In 2005, BLOCKBUSTER Online will gain inventory support from our network of more than 4,500 BLOCKBUSTER stores nationwide."

What else are they going to do since most people don't wan't to walk into their store when they can get their movies delivered to their door.  If Blockbuster keeps up this price slashing they will have to close many B/M stores inorder to keep competitive. Then they lose their competitive advantage.  I see this whole thing equalizing out and people will chose what works best for them and we will have at least 2 major players in the market.  I just feel that Walmart and Target are waiting in the wings to take down the one that survives.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2004, 04:38:30 AM »

I will say for BB what I said about Microsoft and it's Xbox when it first came out: If they are rich enough, and really push to achieve a goal, then it will be accomplished.  BB will not lose to Netflix.  They already have a huge user base for in-store customers.  Once they catch wind of the online options, BB's home delivery numbers with soar.  Netlfix has survived by being relatively unique.  And while Walmart and Target have tons of money as well, I am not sure they could take Blockbuster, if only because BB survives by selling/renting DVDs, while Walmart simply gains a profit from it.  Guess only time will tell.

Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 06:23:37 AM »

Blockbuster's service and treatment of the customer is trash.  I doubt their online "service" will be any better.  From what I have read, their turnaround times are generally slower than Netflix, which seems to set the standard for good service for rent-by-mail.

The instore coupons are somewhat tempting since I do have a BB within walking distance of my place, but if I were to sign up for something I'd rather pay for the company with the best service, and that seems to be Netflix.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2004, 05:46:01 PM »

(cut and pasted from OO):
See, service in movie rentals is last on my list.  I want the best deal overall, and believe I get more bang for the buck at BB.  I actually like Netflix better as a company, but that doesn't change the fact that BB has the best deal for my needs.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2004, 07:07:59 PM »

I read over at the Anandtech Deals forum, if you enter the promotional code 'COOPER' when you sign up for Blockbuster's 2 week trial, it gets extended to a full month free. It's worth a shot.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2004, 12:13:47 AM »

Ok the speed will be there but what about the selection. Another advantage that Netflix has is it offers basically everything. If its been put on DVD you can pretty much get it from them. Your average BB store doesn't have near the inventory.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2004, 12:17:35 AM »

I will say for BB what I said about Microsoft and it's Xbox when it first came out: If they are rich enough, and really push to achieve a goal, then it will be accomplished.  BB will not lose to Netflix.  They already have a huge user base for in-store customers.  Once they catch wind of the online options, BB's home delivery numbers with soar.  Netlfix has survived by being relatively unique.  And while Walmart and Target have tons of money as well, I am not sure they could take Blockbuster, if only because BB survives by selling/renting DVDs, while Walmart simply gains a profit from it.  Guess only time will tell.

Using that logic then a company like Amazon shouldn't have been able to compete against all the long time brick and mortor stores, but they do very well now. Netflix has more than a chance to keep going. IMO BB has waited too long to start changing(like most of the brick and mortor stores have done when it comes to the internet).

I will say that I wouldn't be surprised to see someone buy up Netflix though.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2004, 01:03:05 AM »

As I stated above, each company meets individual needs.  I enjoy top shelf movie rental material, and don't need obscure titles.  With that in mind (plus price, whimsical needs, games, etc), I am happy with BB so far.  I have no love for them.  If they drop the ball this year I am gone.

lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2004, 01:03:55 AM »

Using that logic then a company like Amazon shouldn't have been able to compete against all the long time brick and mortor stores, but they do very well now. Netflix has more than a chance to keep going. IMO BB has waited too long to start changing(like most of the brick and mortor stores have done when it comes to the internet).

I will say that I wouldn't be surprised to see someone buy up Netflix though.

Underdog stories are wonderful, but not typical.   :wink:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: