http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 06:38:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockbuster false advertising  (Read 2056 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2005, 01:03:03 AM »

We stopped in at Blockbuster the other day since they advertise "no late fees" now. Figured it might be nice instead of having to rush back to town. When i asked about thier no late fees the clerk told us that movies are $4.89 for 2 days and there is a $1.89 fee per day not returned. If I keep it a week then Im charged full rpice but I can keep it a year if i want but if i return it its that $1.89 a day thing. WTF is that shit...No late fee yet theres a due date and they charge you per day if its not back?>??? Sounds like the same old shit to me and outright lies to boot. This should be illegal. We walked out after a samll rant from the mrs.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 01:36:36 AM »

Didn't Blockbuster get sued for this shit? Charging people a late fee that was greater than the cost of the dvd itself.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 01:42:09 AM »

I know I stopped renting there alltogether for the exact same reason.  I LOVE movies, and they lost my business over something like a 2 dollar late fee because some clerk didn't check my movie in until 6 minutes past the due time.  Rediculous....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 02:05:12 AM »

You have to read the fine print.  Whomever told you that you incur a late charge is actually wrong.  Here is how it works:

2-day rental: actually due within 9 days (rental + 7 days)
1-week rental: actually due within 15 days (rental + 7 days)

If you do not return it within that time you will outright buy what you rented for the standard Blockbuster price minus the fee you paid to rent it.  They, from what I understand, send the box (and instructions if it is a game) to you.  You can then return the movie/game, but you incur a 10% restocking fee.  So, you're credited the extra back minus 10%.

Personally I like the new deal, you just have to understand the limits of the rental window.  Hell, I would have never finished Stranger had it been under the old 5-day New Game Rental thing...I beat it a couple of days before it needed to go back at the upper end of the rental window.

By the way, here is the fine print.  I read that before I rented my first "non-late fee" item so I understood what was going on.

Also by the way, I expect this whole plan to not last past June.  I have noticed a lot of even new movies/games out of stock because everyone is holding them after their "normal return window" (2 days/1 week).  Either BB has to increase the units of each item in the store or they're going to see profits drop quite a bit even without late fees.  Just my opinion though.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 03:55:14 AM »

i hate BlockBuster for these reasons.  when they announced this "no late fee" garbage i immediately read the fine print and saw what it said.  i was telling my wife can you imagine someone who returns a movie after the 7 days because they went out of town or had an emergency or whatever and thought they wouldn't get charged?
also, this deal they had last year about the movie club being $15 or whatever a month.  the fine print in that states you automatically get recharged every month if you don't drop the deal before it expires.  of course they never told you that either when signing up for it.  i can imagine there were alot fo pissed off people who were charged additional months and didnt realize it until too late.
BB has false or atleast deceiving advertising more than anyone i know.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 09:07:05 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

Also by the way, I expect this whole plan to not last past June.  I have noticed a lot of even new movies/games out of stock because everyone is holding them after their "normal return window" (2 days/1 week).  Either BB has to increase the units of each item in the store or they're going to see profits drop quite a bit even without late fees.  Just my opinion though.

Yeah, exactly.  Between this new schtick (which is falsely advertised in my opinion) and the program they were running where you just paid 15 dollars a month (for the first month...30 after) for all the movies you want, they never have any of the movies in that I want.  I know that I signed up for that pay by the month deal and I would go a couple weeks without returning a couple movies because they didn't have the ones I wanted to exchange for...which means they didn't have those back in stock like they normally would have.  

They are both pretty ill-concieved plans to stop the bleeding ulcer that is the Netflix market.  When I can go to the same Blockbuster 5 times and not find one of the three movies I'm interested in renting, you know there's a problem in the system.  Or maybe they could just order a few less copies of "Harold and Kumar go to the shithouse" and a few more of "Shaun of the Dead".

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 10:15:03 AM »

That's why Netflix gets my business.

I've still got my Blockbuster card, but I don't think it's seen the light of day in a few years.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 09:41:01 PM »

There's a video store in my area that loans new movies for $2.50 a night, and older movies for either $2 a week, or $1 a week, depending on the age.

They get my business.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 10:06:20 PM »

The wife and I here in KC have started renting from the local grocery store Hy-Vee.  The movies are 2.99 for two night rental.  They always have the copies of the new releases available.

It's perfect for us.  We don't ever rent any old movies at all.

I am done with blockbuster completely.  Between Hy-Vee and TW OnDemand I have no use for them.

Regards,
Pig
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 11:18:47 PM »

I don't really have a problem with it.  I don't watch nearly enough movies to make Netflix cost-effective, so the video store works fine for me.  It is just basically an extension to how long they let you hold onto the movie, but at least they don't nickel and dime you anymore over it.

Quote from: "Daehawk"
When i asked about thier no late fees the clerk told us that movies are $4.89 for 2 days and there is a $1.89 fee per day not returned.

That 1.89 per day it's late is bullshit.  Someone is trying to rip you off Daehawk, or else they don't really know what they're talking about.  You don't get charged when it's not back on time.  I know this because I've now turned in two seperate movies at the far end of the due date.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 10:15:18 PM »

FWIW, if you try to cancel your account with NetFlix, it'll ask you if you'll reconsider for $15.99 a month/3 out at a time.  Of course, this only lasts for six months, but there ya go...
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 02:45:33 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"
FWIW, if you try to cancel your account with NetFlix, it'll ask you if you'll reconsider for $15.99 a month/3 out at a time.  Of course, this only lasts for six months, but there ya go...

Hmmm, I just tried and it didn't give me any options.  When did you last try this?

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 02:46:36 AM »

By the way, BB just revamped their web page design, making it harder to send an email to customer service.  On top of that, the phone number seems to have disappeared from their site completely...

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 03:59:23 AM »

Quote from: "lokiju"
By the way, BB just revamped their web page design, making it harder to send an email to customer service.  On top of that, the phone number seems to have disappeared from their site completely...

Yep, tough one to find isn't it? biggrin

Took two clicks...one for the Customer Service at the bottom, enter in "phone number" (in Keyword) in the search space and hit "Search"

As for e-mail contact...well, you just hit the "Contact Us" tab on the Customer Service page.  Doesn't seem that hard to me.

I just don't want misinformation to be said, that's all.  I honestly don't care if you pick Netflix, Blockbuster or some other company.  I would defend all of them.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 04:13:34 AM »

Hmmm, I just tried and it didn't give me any options.  When did you last try this?

Today smile
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 12:37:50 PM »

Today smile

Guess they are truly out to get me, heh. I never got that option.  :oops:

lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 12:40:50 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

Yep, tough one to find isn't it? biggrin

Took two clicks...one for the Customer Service at the bottom, enter in "phone number" (in Keyword) in the search space and hit "Search"

As for e-mail contact...well, you just hit the "Contact Us" tab on the Customer Service page.  Doesn't seem that hard to me.

I just don't want misinformation to be said, that's all.  I honestly don't care if you pick Netflix, Blockbuster or some other company.  I would defend all of them.

Two clicks plus keyword searching.  I too found it, but was appalled that they made it much harder to locate.  Most people will have a terrible time I am quite sure, especially considering it used to be right at the main contact area.  No keyword searching necessary, no digging around to get it.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 06:21:08 PM »

Well check this out.  New Jersey is sueing over the "No late fees" claim, saying it's fradulent.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/18/news/midcaps/blockbuster_suit/index.htm?cnn=yes
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 07:34:51 PM »

funny that they still stick to thier claim that "no late fees" is true when they charge you for restocking.  excuse me for a second, but isn't that what the clerks do at a video store anyways?  is there a reason that after a set number of days, the movie has suddenly gotten more expensive to put back on the shelf?  i smell bs.  

with this and the claim that we recently did not return a movie, i think the time has come to stop doing business there.  nevermind the reason engineno9 stated.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
GargoyleBoy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 08:52:32 PM »

Actually, the State of New Jersey is having serious issues with Blockbuster now, about this.

Thing is, Daehawk may shop at a franchise Blockbuster, which (although they may be showing the "no more late fees sign") may not be required to actually follow the policy.  If that's the case, they're definately guilty of false advertising.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2005, 12:54:00 AM »

I know this is a simplistic view but....if the cost of an item goes up the longer you keep it, isn't that a defacto late fee?

Ok, no?  Well then how is it a good thing that you are charged full price for the movie if it is late?

Man BB is sneaky and evil.

/signed, another fan of Netflix
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2005, 01:39:37 AM »

Well, I have noticed pros and cons to both.  If you cancel Netflix, even on the 1st day of your new month, you're done at that moment, and you don't get your money back.  At least BB gives you until the end of your billed cycle (hell they gave me until the end of my FREE cycle, the one they gave me for being disorganized), and gives you a month after that to get all movies back to them before being charged.  Netflix gives you a week...even though you might have paid for the entire month.  So no company is beyond greed, or lack of good policy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: