http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 09:11:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How was Blade: Trinity?  (Voting closed: December 08, 2004, 02:47:43 PM)
Great - A wonderful end to the series - 4 (25%)
Ok - A good flick to watch while downing a bag of popcorn - 5 (31.3%)
Pretty Bad - Proof that the 3rd time isn't the charm - 3 (18.8%)
Awful - I left to go catch the end of Christmas with the Kranks instead - 2 (12.5%)
Confused - Where the hell was Carrie-Anne Moss? - 2 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blade Trinity - How is it?  (Read 2111 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2004, 02:47:43 PM »

I noticed that Blade Trinity started today and thought we could use the wonderful poll ability to see what people think.

So how do you rate the movie?

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 03:35:12 PM »

I haven't seen it, but it's not fairing well at RottenTomatoes.
JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 05:01:07 PM »

I'll let ya know when I see it. Chalk this one up on my "things to do this weekend" list.
Sunderer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 05:10:57 PM »

CNN no likey.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/08/review.blade.trinity.ap/index.html

"At this moment, you mean everything."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 05:24:38 PM »

It is so hard to decide from professional reviewers about movies like this.    If you look at action films on rottentomatoes you will see that the vast majority are not reviewed well.  

That isn't to say that reviewers are wrong about Blade 3 but it is hard to get a feeling except from actual people rather than professional types.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 06:37:02 PM »

Sometimes movies that get panned by the critics are either a) still really entertaining or b) do bonzo gonzo at the box office.  Just look at Christmas with the Kranks.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 06:37:45 PM »

Oh, and as for Blade Trinity, I'll either see it tonight or sometime this weekend.  That, and Ocean's Twelve.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 02:41:50 PM »

Well did anyone vetnure out to see it?

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 03:46:38 PM »

Regardless of what CNN says I'll be there this weekend, popcorn in hand - brain set to the off position.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 04:28:08 PM »

I really liked the first one.  I thought the second laid it on too thick and never finished it.  I'm not optimistic about the third.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 04:53:25 PM »

Saw it.  Really liked it.  Definitely not on the level of the second, and not too far from the first.  It is the "worst" of the 3, but that's not saying it's a bad film at all.  The audience I was in was in stiches after some of Ryan Reynolds's lines, the action was all well done, and two words: vampire dogs.

Mike

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2004, 04:25:25 AM »

Wow what a stinker!  I loved the second one and I really liked the first but the third....it is just so bad.

I wasn't expecting a great plot but the story was so pointless that I could never care at all about any of it. Even taking that into account is still pushed reason.  Apparently Blade and Co. can't find Drake but Drake has no problem finding the Nightstalkers.  Why?  Just better staffing?   The weird "vampire final solution" was a total of what....5 minutes of the movie?  Why even have it in there?  It didn't make any sense with their resurecting Drake, who was suposed to be the important villian.

I also don't think Blade works well as a buddy flick.  I can suspend my disbelief whe Blade gets the crap beaten out of him because he is part vampire, but the scene where Hannibal gets kicked around by Triple H just doesn't work.  He is suposed to be human so the ass kicking he gets would be enough to kill him.  

It was just so bad that I can't even think of what else to talk about.  

1. The weird light sword thing.  Part "Ba' leth" (From Worf on Star Trek) and part lightsaber - yet all dumb.

2. The camera gun.  Not only in cell phones anymore!  

3. The virus/thingy being a bug attacking blood cells.  What CGI genius came up with that?  

4. Abigale and her product placement....I mean desire to use an Ipod!  Good think it never gets caught on something.  

5. The sterotypical computer geek who make weapons.

6. The FBI/police simply giving up pursuit of Blade for the entire middle part of the movie.  

And those are just the ones that really stick in my mind as things that I simply couldn't suspend my disbelief about.  

Before I hear all about not taking the movie seriously, it being a popcorn flick, etc.  let me just say I am more than willing to do that!  Some of my favorite movies are real stinkers.  I love Blade 2, The Fifth Element, Hudson Hawk!!,  and Cradle 2 The Grave to name a few movies that really required a lot of supension of disbelief.  I can do that.  Blade Trinity just pushed it too far.  

On the plus side I saw the trailer for Constantine. That looks like it could be quite good.

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2004, 07:41:54 PM »

Ehh, you ARE being too hard on it  :wink:

Not as good as '2' but it was still a fun movie.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2004, 07:52:18 PM »

I'm seeing it today. Here's to hoping it's as enjoyable as most seem to be saying.

Note that I don't care about reviewers, as nine out of ten of them are so jaded I find their opinions near impossible to relate to.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2004, 08:24:34 PM »

Lame. Ryan Reynolds is my hero, though. The movie is no where near as cool as the second one was, and downright frustrating at other times. But every time Reynolds is on screen I was laughing. That delivery, the lines, everything was priceless.

But everyone else looked... bored. Snipes was just going through the motions, Kristofferson was a big ditto, and Biel (while hot), looked like she was just rockin' out on her iPod the whole time. And who the hell goes into a fight when you can't hear anything BUT music?

Oh, and why do all the vampires suddenly have fangs out all the time? They never did that in the second one, and I don't think they did that in the first one too. But there is Parker Posey trying her damndest to look like she's menacing while talking around these fangs that are bigger than her head. While I applaud her trying to break out of indie flicks, I can't say casting her as a villain was a smart move. She's a great actress, but menacing? Hell no.

I will point to the fights as being royally kick ass. Blade going through the bodyguards trying to get to Drake at the end was awesome, as was him cutting a swath through the rest of the vampires.

I would also like to take a moment to request that Hollywood stop treating Dracula as a Eurotrash reject. They had a moment in the novelty shop where Drake looks disgusted at the vampire legacy being boiled down to lunch boxes, but then he turns around and kills both workers. I would have thought he'd just turn and leave, sickened by the whole thing. But when you first see him... cool. smile They should have left him as the monster, and Posey as the human side of the vampire nation.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2004, 08:58:23 PM »

I'll never be able to get past Ryan Reynolds as that whiny little snot from "Fifteen"
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2004, 05:08:52 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
I'll never be able to get past Ryan Reynolds as that whiny little snot from "Fifteen"

He was fun.  By far the most fun in the whole movie.

Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2004, 07:09:19 PM »

I liked it.  While there was a little "tired" to whole feel of the movie, I didn't think that it besmirched the whole effort.  I don't agree with the ipod bashing.  Yeah, you can't here.  Real combat veterans wouldn't do it.  Well, since we are kung-fu fighting vampires, realism should win out, right? smile

I thought Parker Posey was a disaster at first but once you get your mind around it, it kind of makes sense that maybe the vampire sheik wouldn't appeal to humans.  Triple-H i think ruined any chance at Rock-like stardom, though.  Whether it was the role as written or the actor, that part didn't add anything to the film.

I think that this Drake was a great attempt at a fresh take on the old legend.  "Samurai Draco" disdaining what his people had become was certain new to me.  The actor playing the role though had absolutely zero screen impact.  While he was having the dialogue with Blade on the roof, I was thinking, "wow, someone else could really make this dialog powerful, rather than forgettable."   John Doe does not impress. slywink
[Edit: Oops left out a paragraph or two:)]

Ryan Reynolds was great, although teh funnie did get a little thick near the end.  I think he could end up being a new Bruce Willis-esque snarky action hero.

Jessica Beil is hot hot hot, although I think that the klingon/jedi/krull device was just that.

I think all 3 blades are different and good in their own way.  Which I guess is my way of saying I don't really know where to rank this one amongst the whole trilogy. smile  I enjoyed this one, though, for what its worth.

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: