http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 01:26:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blackberry Users??? In Mobile Heaven Now  (Read 3188 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »

Hey all,

I'm an avid Blackberry user.  The Blackberry is 100% at the top of my list of all time favorite technological devices.  I started off with an 8700 model, which after a while stop working properly.  Sprint replaced it with a Blackberry 8830 (World Edition), which I've had for the past year or so and really loved.  Recently however, it stopped charging properly and Sprint now tells me that that isn't' covered by the insurance that I pay monthly for ($3 stock anyone...). 

Anyway, I also moved from one firm to another and my new employer will buy me a new phone and pay the monthly bill as long as I switch to Verizon (very happy to leave Sprint).  So, my question is which device should I go with?

My only Blackberry options are the Blackberry 8830 which I had before and loved, or the Blackberry Storm, which I'm automatically drawn to being the technophile that I am.  However, I know the early Storm reviews were lackluster and there were many reports of glitches and other issues.  I have also been told that a lot of the early issues have already been ironed out with OS and firmware upgrades. 

Right now I'm leaning toward the Storm, but I'm still open to the 8830. 

Anyone have any thoughts?

Chris
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:25:56 PM by Eco-Logic » Logged

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 05:26:18 PM »

Depends on what you use it for.  I had the option of upgrading my Blackberry to either the 8830 or the Storm this year.  I use my blackberry for business purposes; reading and responding to e-mails.

I chose the Storm, primarily because the choice was a Storm with Verizon, or a 8830 with AT&T.  In DC, Verizon has a huge advantage, because the DC metro underground system is wired for Verizon...so I can get reception while sitting in the metro.

I also got it because it's shiny and pretty.  And, because I'm stupid.

For what I use it for, it's simply not as good as the 8830; which I fully knew going in.  While I've gotten pretty decent at using the touch screen for typing, it's still not as fast or as accurate as the blackberry keyboard.  I find that if I have to bang out a decent sized e-mail to a partner or client, I'll just wait until I get home, whereas with my old blackberry, I'd just type it out on the blackberry.

Also, no trackball on the Storm is a really stupid move.  It would make internet browsing a hell of a lot easier.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 05:30:28 PM »

Humm, good info Eightball.  I emailed quiet a bit on my 8830 as well.  With that said, I primarily intend on responding with short responses at my new firm.  I don't intend on emailing clients, as we're not supposed to give out our email address.  So emails I will respond to will be from my colleagues and can be shorter and more to the point.

Is browsing decent on the storm?  I do use it for browsing quiet a bit, for personal use on the weekends and after work hours.  I found browsing to be really easy on the 8830.

Chris

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Tazman
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 05:47:13 PM »

I have the storm also, and I love it.  However, I did not have a blackberry before (or any type of smartphone), so I cannot compare how much faster typing I am, though I agree with Eightball, if there is a long e-mail, I woud rather do it from my computer (I had a buddy who had a blackberry try the typing on my storm and said he was slower, which tends to be a common theme you see on the crackberry.com forums).  I usually reply to clients with short e-mails.  I have found browsing very easy and decent so far and do a bit of surfing the web when not at home.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 05:48:18 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on March 04, 2009, 05:30:28 PM

Humm, good info Eightball.  I emailed quiet a bit on my 8830 as well.  With that said, I primarily intend on responding with short responses at my new firm.  I don't intend on emailing clients, as we're not supposed to give out our email address.  So emails I will respond to will be from my colleagues and can be shorter and more to the point.

Is browsing decent on the storm?  I do use it for browsing quiet a bit, for personal use on the weekends and after work hours.  I found browsing to be really easy on the 8830.

Chris

Well, yes and no.  It's fast...but that's because it's 3G.  Without a trackball, it's tough to select links...for some damned reason (and perhaps this is me just not understanding the Storm better), but when you click a link, half the time it just zooms in the page for you.

As for e-mailing, it will take you awhile to get used to even sending out short e-mails  slywink
Tazman
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 05:52:48 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on March 04, 2009, 05:48:18 PM

Well, yes and no.  It's fast...but that's because it's 3G.  Without a trackball, it's tough to select links...for some damned reason (and perhaps this is me just not understanding the Storm better), but when you click a link, half the time it just zooms in the page for you.

As for e-mailing, it will take you awhile to get used to even sending out short e-mails  slywink

Yes the zooming in the page when you think you are clicking on a link can get frustrating; however, I have found that if you make sure the link lights up before pressing, the zooming usually does not happen.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 05:56:21 PM »

While I'm not necessarily shopping for a specific Blackberry, I am curious about what they cost for all of the functionality.  I have never owned a personal cell phone as both my previous company and my current company both supplied me with a business/personal phone and they've covered all expenses (unlimited calls, texting, etc).  I have never had a cell phone bill as I can use my phone for any application, whether it be for business or personal use.

But, perhaps it's the marketing, or it may have something to do with the additional responsibilities associated with now running a division and the importance of having access to the internet, email, etc, while on the road, but I'm certainly interested in purchasing my own Blackberry (the company won't purchase one on my behalf - you get what they give you, which is a basic no-nonsense T-Mobile phone).  However, I haven't the slightest idea what monthly fees are like, especially since cell phone companies charge a basic monthly rate for calls, but then you have to factor in texting, internet access, applications, email, etc.

What does a normal monthly bill look like with all of the bells and whistles associated with a Blackberry?  My company will pay $40 a month toward a personal cell phone used for professional use, but that's it.  So right now I have a pretty good deal with not having to pay a dime toward my cell phone.  I'm just curious what something like the Storm, including all functionality (email, internet, etc), would cost me per month, and if the $40 offered by my company would even make a dent in monthly fees.  

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 05:58:51 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 04, 2009, 05:56:21 PM

While I'm not necessarily shopping for a specific Blackberry, I am curious about what they cost for all of the functionality.  I have never owned a personal cell phone as both my previous company and my current company both supplied me with a business/personal phone and they've covered all expenses (unlimited calls, texting, etc).  I have never had a cell phone bill as I can use my phone for any application, whether it be for business or personal use.  

Well, my firm pays for unlimited data on Blackberrys (a "perk" which means our e-leash is tight around our necks); but I think the basic phone package for our firm for a BB through Verizon runs about 30 a month alone.  If I remember right, unlimited data may be around a hundred a month, but I'm sure others can give you a much better read on it.

However, if you plan on staying in touch by e-mail...well...the thing is nearly a must-have.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »

Typically, a blackberry data package costs between $30 and $40 per month.

I pay way less at Sprint because I threatened to leave.  

Chris

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 06:05:44 PM »

So inevitably it could still cost me $50 to $70 a month on top of what my company puts toward the bill.  I'm just not sure I'm that interested in the convenience of having a Blackberry to add yet another monthly bill to our list.  And if it means giving up other things in order to allow for work to take up even more of my personal time, perhaps sticking with standard company issue is preferable. 

Tazman
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 06:29:24 PM »

For Verizon, the unlimited data plan for BIS is $30, and if using BES (which is using your company's server to sync e-mail, contacts, etc.) it is $45.  This is in addition to whatever plan you pick for phone calls and text messaging.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 06:38:25 PM »

Yeah, that $40 would barely cover the lowest voice package for most carriers.

T-Mobile would give you 600 day, unlimited night/weekend, no mobile to mobile.  Blackbery service would run you at least $30 a month to get work e-mails. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 06:44:25 PM »

So I'd be paying to work more than I already do.  Nevermind.  But I certainly appreciate the information. 

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 07:01:17 PM »

Those prices are pretty normal for any data + voice plan. I do about 30 dollars for the iPhone package which runs me total at about 80ish a month.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 11:51:25 PM »

I've been a blackberry user for about 4 years now; mostly because the company I work for develops software for it. In that time I had 2 different models. What I've learned is that the quality and ease of use of keypad is the most important thing. My 1st model was the 7130g with it's truly craptastic keypad and the 2nd is the curve with a much better keypad. If you're going to be doing lots of emailing and texting, my recommendation is choose whatever model has the superior keypad. Unless of course you willing to fork out the $100 for one of those folding, portable keyboards.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 03:08:21 AM »

Quote from: Tazman on March 04, 2009, 05:52:48 PM

Quote from: Eightball on March 04, 2009, 05:48:18 PM

Yes the zooming in the page when you think you are clicking on a link can get frustrating; however, I have found that if you make sure the link lights up before pressing, the zooming usually does not happen.

I've had the storm since weekend before Christmas.   I run into this problem with zooming vs. selecting all the time.   What I'm hoping for is an update to the software where it enables the "cursor" mode as the default mode for the browser.   The cursor is much better for selecting input zones but it switches out of that mode between each page you surf.   

The blackberry browser by default acts like a mobile browser but you can set it up such that websites think it's firefox or IE and give you "full pages".  It's not as slick as the safari browser on the ipod touch.   

Last I checked, there wasn't an opera mini for the berry yet.  That could also be a solution in the hopefully not-so-distant future.

And there is still the issue of no flash support on the berry nor the touch compared to windows mobile.

- shaggy

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 06:05:17 PM »

I just thought I would update this thread.

I ended up going with ATT and the Blackberry Bold and so far am completely impressed by the Bold. 

Thanks for all the info.

Chris

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 06:26:57 PM »

So, I'm a huge fan of Soundtrack music and listen to a channel on Shoutcast often called Radio Rivendell.  I just now found out I can stream it for free from my blackberry using Flycast!  That is the coolest thing of all time!  I am so incredibly stoked that I Found that out.

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 01:40:25 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on April 07, 2009, 06:05:17 PM

I ended up going with ATT and the Blackberry Bold and so far am completely impressed by the Bold. 

Thanks for all the info.

Chris

I'm on verizon so I have the curve but I love the bold UI so I installed that.

If I had responded early enough, I would have suggested talking to verizon and trying out the storm, you can usually return it for no hassles in the first 30-90 days depending on your plan and whatnot. But since you got the bold, good for you.

As for pricing, I'm doing the family thing with two others (wife and sis-in-law) with 1400 minutes (I'm the only one with a BES crackberry) and our bill is ~$110/mo.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 02:04:10 AM »

I actually had some time to try out a Storm and found it to be pretty cool, but I'm much faster with a regular keyboard.

The Bold seemed like a perfect fit.

$110 / month is great. 

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 04:00:27 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on April 07, 2009, 06:05:17 PM

Thanks for all the info.

Chris

Yeah...I referred to the 8830 above; that's the last one I had.  Our options were the Bold or the Storm, and the Bold is really impressive.

Good choice.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 07:34:12 PM »

I'm thinking about getting a Blackberry for my next phone.  I don't need it for work, but I'd like to have robust access to my gmail and decent web-checking capability.  I know nothing about smartphones or whatever.  I'm one of the few that still use a separate PDA.

With a Blackberry, would you just access gmail via the web browser or would you use a mail client?  Can the mail client do gmail using IMAP?

Does the Blackberry have a decent todo/task organizer, and/or can you install third-party apps to it?

Does it sync with your PC and have it's own desktop program (like Palm), or do you have to sync it to Outlook or whatever?

I think my days of keeping a separate PDA are numbered, so I'm trying to prepare myself.  I don't think I want an iPhone and I guess Windows Mobile Smartphones are kind of aging.  Maybe I should take a closer look at the new Palm Pre thingy.  I want to stay with Verizon Wireless, though.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 07:48:24 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on April 09, 2009, 07:34:12 PM

I'm thinking about getting a Blackberry for my next phone.  I don't need it for work, but I'd like to have robust access to my gmail and decent web-checking capability.  I know nothing about smartphones or whatever.  I'm one of the few that still use a separate PDA.

With a Blackberry, would you just access gmail via the web browser or would you use a mail client?  Can the mail client do gmail using IMAP?

Does the Blackberry have a decent todo/task organizer, and/or can you install third-party apps to it?

Does it sync with your PC and have it's own desktop program (like Palm), or do you have to sync it to Outlook or whatever?

I think my days of keeping a separate PDA are numbered, so I'm trying to prepare myself.  I don't think I want an iPhone and I guess Windows Mobile Smartphones are kind of aging.  Maybe I should take a closer look at the new Palm Pre thingy.  I want to stay with Verizon Wireless, though.

There is a gmail client for the blackberry, I use that, it's either imap or something else but it's not like pop3.

I've never used the tasks.

There is blackberry software but I don't think it has it's own palm-like calendar and whatnot, you're expected to use another client like outlook/lotus. Most of us never use the blackberry software since everything sync's wireless with a BES.

All the windows mobile phones I've played with have been a lot slower than any of my blackberry's. I had an HTC touch for 6 months and hated it, when I hang up, I want to hang up NOW, not in 2-5 seconds. That may not sound like much time but when you have to wait for it to click off before you can speak to someone in the room with you... I was always holding up my finger to mime "hang on before you speak, we have to wait for this godawful phone to disconnect the call".

EDIT: I forgot to mention that windows mobile phones are monumentally cheaper for monthly data. I think the difference is like $15/mo versus $35 or something.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 07:50:10 PM by ibdoomed » Logged
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 08:01:14 PM »

Just got a Storm on total impulse yesterday through work. Saw an IT dude testing one out. He said it was $100 for 2 at BJs and they are great on our work network. He went out bought them for me and our CFO. So on a total impulse I got the Blackberry Storm for $50, work pays the monthly bills and I love it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: