http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:12:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blackberry OS 5.0 is out for Storm users (maybe others?)  (Read 578 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2009, 02:20:42 AM »

Hey all, just wanted to let other BB and/or Storm users that the Official (for Verizon) Storm OS 5.0 is out now on BlackBerry Desktop Manager.  Apparently there's no OTA for this, so you'll have to use a computer.  Downloading now!
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 12:00:42 AM »

Been running it all day.  This thing finally feels really solid now.  Very happy.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 12:04:22 AM »

Quote from: GuidoTKP on October 27, 2009, 12:00:42 AM

Been running it all day.  This thing finally feels really solid now.  Very happy.

Yeah me too, I'm really enjoying how zippy and responsive the phone is with this OS.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 02:24:12 PM »

Nice im installing it now

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 03:05:02 PM »

Thanks for the heads up!

Hmm, wonder why my Desktop Software doesn't have the update.

Edit: Nvm. I'm on an enterprise server through work. Have to wait for those lazy IT guys!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:16:21 PM by Jag » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 03:24:33 PM »

And tomorrow is the release of the Storm2.  No more clicky screen.

The Storm 2 features a 3.25-inch capacitive touchscreen display (480x360 pixels resolution), which provides electronic feedback instead of the "clickable" screen found on the previous model. The screen on the original BlackBerry Storm was at the centre of many customer complaints, and RIM seems to have listened to feedback and also incorporated multi-touch support on the Storm 2.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 03:29:42 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 27, 2009, 03:24:33 PM

The Storm 2 features a 3.25-inch capacitive touchscreen display (480x360 pixels resolution), which provides electronic feedback instead of the "clickable" screen found on the previous model. The screen on the original BlackBerry Storm was at the centre of many customer complaints, and RIM seems to have listened to feedback and also incorporated multi-touch support on the Storm 2.

Would have been nice if there was some incentive for us Storm 1 users to upgrade.  Like financial incentive.  But we get nothing, so screw them!  I want to see what this Motorola Droid is all about.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 27, 2009, 03:24:33 PM

SurePress is still there. Just improved. This is no iPhone.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-storm2-review

he BlackBerry Storm2's enhanced SurePress technology addresses the issues of the BlackBerry Storm's original SurePress design:
Consistent Pressure - Because the screen is now sitting on four evenly spaced ‘buttons' (for lack of a better word), the amount of pressure required to create a click is consistent regardless of where you press.
Multi-press capabilities - The improved SurePress hardware allows you to click on more than one part of the screen at a time. Taking advantage of this, RIM has allowed the software to now register two inputs on the keyboard. This is extremely beneficial when typing on the full qwerty keyboard in landscape. When typing letters across the keyboard from each (you are alternating between your left and right thumbs), you can now execute these letters more quickly as you can press the next letter without waiting for the screen to finish rebounding from the previous letter. It's more like typing on a physical full qwerty smartphone.
Smoother Rebound - Clicking in and out on the BlackBerry Storm2's display is simply much smoother now, thanks again to the four electric button design. Use it side by side with the Storm and you'll immediately feel the difference.
Face Detection feature! - Last, but certainly not least, the BlackBerry Storm2 features a proximity sensor that powers down the display when the phone is next to your ear on a call. Earlier hardware/software versions we have seen of the Storm2 never possessed this feature, but this review unit certainly does. Simply start talking with the BlackBerry Storm2 against your ear and the screen powers down - no more ear typing! As soon as you pull the phone away from your ear the screen powers on and you can enable calling features (mute, speakerphone, etc.). Finally!!
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 06:59:40 PM »

With the OS update, I am loving my Storm alot more now. But still gonna check out the droid smile
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 02:41:16 PM »

Yeah, 5.0 makes a huge difference.  Going from a Curve to the Storm, the inaccurate typing on the landscape keyboard drove me nuts.  After the update, it's much more responsive and much more accurate.

I'd decided to move to the Droid but now I think I might stick with the Storm for a bit longer.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 03:20:55 PM »

Yeah I love this new update, it makes it like I have a new phone.  I'm annoyed that verizon is not offering any early upgrade deals to people who bought a Storm 1 when it came out last year.  I would like to get a new phone, but I'm not eligible for upgrade until next fall.  Phone contracts are stupid!  icon_mad
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »

If it weren't for phone contracts, phone prices would be higher.  You can always pay full retail for a phone.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 04:13:23 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 30, 2009, 04:08:00 PM

If it weren't for phone contracts, phone prices would be higher.  You can always pay full retail for a phone.

Well I could, but then I'd be crazy!  I just want to re-up for 2 years and gimmie a new phone!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 04:25:50 PM »

And the cell phone companies don't want to take a loss.  They sold that phone to you below cost under the assumption that they'd make that money + profit off your two-year contract.  If they let you upgrade before your contract is up, they lose money.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 04:45:24 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 30, 2009, 04:25:50 PM

And the cell phone companies don't want to take a loss.  They sold that phone to you below cost under the assumption that they'd make that money + profit off your two-year contract.  If they let you upgrade before your contract is up, they lose money.

Yeah I know.  Didn't ATT offer some kind of promo though when the 3GS came out for people who just bought a new iPhone the year before?  Why were they able to do that but Verizon is not?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: