http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:04:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bioware or Blizzard?  (Read 1635 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2009, 02:03:34 AM »

I'm curious if there is data out there somewhere that shows the number of employees each of these company's have.

A friend and I were discussing this today, and although we both assumed it was Blizzard, we thought we'd check.

Problem is...I don't know where to look.  Do they break it down within Activision and EA somewhere on the net to show Blizzard and Bioware specifically?

Help, GT forum.  (I'm not sure if Wiki is reliable, and that is the only place I thought of to look)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 02:05:33 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 02:11:26 AM »

I would guess that the WoW team alone is probably far larger than Bioware in it's entirety, but I could be wrong.  I can't imagine keeping up the infrastructure for an MMO that huge can be done without some massive (no pun intended) manpower.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 02:31:22 AM »

Blizzard = 4600 employees

Bioware = 500 employees

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 02:54:35 AM »

And yet Bioware seems to realease more games than Blizzard. I guess 4500 of that 4600 is all WoW.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 03:06:35 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on December 31, 2009, 02:54:35 AM

And yet Bioware seems to realease more games than Blizzard. I guess 4500 of that 4600 is all WoW.

Thats what iw as thinking. Both make great games but Blizzard hasn't really made many. If I could only have one I would pick Bioware. I think I love all their games. Plan to buy DAO soon and tomorrow Im going to put money down on Mass Effect 2. I even just replayed ME1 for the third time just to have a save for ME2 when it gets here smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 06:23:04 AM »

with WoW Blizzard could probably never make another game again (other than WoW2) and still be fine.  I'm hoping the same thing doesn't happen with Bioware and The old Republic.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 01:00:36 PM »

The difference in number of employees (assuming the Bioware # is still correct) astounds me.  

I guess I had no idea how many employees it took to maintain a fully operational MMO.  

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 01:48:48 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 31, 2009, 01:00:36 PM

The difference in number of employees (assuming the Bioware # is still correct) astounds me.  

I guess I had no idea how many employees it took to maintain a fully operational MMO.  

I don't have the energy to photoshop a horde insignia on top of the Death Star

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 02:45:48 PM »

You missed a golden opportunity, Redfive.  I left it wide open...

LD

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 03:07:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 31, 2009, 06:23:04 AM

with WoW Blizzard could probably never make another game again (other than WoW2) and still be fine.  I'm hoping the same thing doesn't happen with Bioware and The old Republic.

Without checking the actual numbers, I don't think the pace of Blizzard releases has slowed as a result of WoW. They were always this slow.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 06:18:30 PM »

I havent gamed on a pc since 2002 and i would still take blizzard over bioware.  blizzard has never stumbled...ever.  bioware has released several mediocre games  (jade empire, mass effect). blizzard is considered one of if not the best game devs there is for a reason. they innovate and enhance and then polish polish polish. i wondersometimes if bioware even has a qa dept.   
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 06:28:03 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 31, 2009, 06:18:30 PM

I havent gamed on a pc since 2002 and i would still take blizzard over bioware.  blizzard has never stumbled...ever.  bioware has released several mediocre games  (jade empire, mass effect). blizzard is considered one of if not the best game devs there is for a reason. they innovate and enhance and then polish polish polish. i wondersometimes if bioware even has a qa dept.   

Wow, I could not possibly disagree more.  Bioware is the Pixar of gaming:  they simply never miss for me.  By comparison, outside of Diablo II, there isn't a Blizzard game that I would even put in my top 50.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 06:52:30 PM »

No offense but jade empire was a steaming turd.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 07:07:25 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 31, 2009, 06:28:03 PM

Wow, I could not possibly disagree more.  Bioware is the Pixar of gaming:  they simply never miss for me.  By comparison, outside of Diablo II, there isn't a Blizzard game that I would even put in my top 50.

The way I see it, Bioware does better single-player and Blizzard better multi.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 07:16:05 PM »

Remove the "innovate" part of your sentence and I might agree with you. I have issues with both Bioware and Blizzard though, but particularly Blizzard. The more success they have, the less innovation we see in the industry. Every time they have released a major new game, other companies have rushed out to copy them, despite them not really doing anything new.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 07:36:51 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 31, 2009, 06:52:30 PM

Sez you...I thought it was fantastic.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 07:41:12 PM »

Jade Empire and Mass Effect were both excellent games IMO.

Bioware puts out games faster than Blizzard and I feel as a direct results they tend to be less polished/bug-free. On the other hand, I find Blizzard games pretty shallow beyond the cutscenes. Do you have any story choices in Diablo? Starcraft? Warcraft? Seems like it should be pretty easy to craft a polished story when there's only one path.

I love Blizzard games when they eventually come out and Bioware games. Don't make me pick!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 08:15:04 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on December 31, 2009, 07:41:12 PM

Bioware puts out games faster than Blizzard and I feel as a direct results they tend to be less polished/bug-free. On the other hand, I find Blizzard games pretty shallow beyond the cutscenes. Do you have any story choices in Diablo? Starcraft? Warcraft? Seems like it should be pretty easy to craft a polished story when there's only one path.
I love Blizzard games when they eventually come out and Bioware games. Don't make me pick!

That's an interesting point I hadn't thought of.

LD

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 08:21:54 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 31, 2009, 03:06:35 AM

Quote from: SkyLander on December 31, 2009, 02:54:35 AM

Thats what iw as thinking. Both make great games but Blizzard hasn't really made many. If I could only have one I would pick Bioware. I think I love all their games. Plan to buy DAO soon and tomorrow Im going to put money down on Mass Effect 2. I even just replayed ME1 for the third time just to have a save for ME2 when it gets here smile

Why are you putting money down on video games when you have a glass stove top to replace (that you supposedly can't afford to replace)?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 10:58:27 PM »

What concern is it of yours?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 11:19:57 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 31, 2009, 10:58:27 PM

What concern is it of yours?

true that.

But I have the $50 for a new top. And $5 aint much to put down.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 01:06:13 AM »

I'll agree that while Blizzard is incredibly good at polishing the hell out of a game, they haven't innovated since Diablo, and even that borrowed heavily from Nethack.  Basically, they've been making the same two games over and over again.  They almost did something really interesting with Warcraft 3 when it was going to be more along the lines of Sacred, and then they chickened out and went the standard RTS route. 

Bioware has always been very good at innovating.  Baldur's Gate was very new for its time, the combat system in KotoR was similar but more fluid, and like it or not (I did), Jade Empire did a really good job of putting a hands-on kung fu fighting system into an RPG.  Hell, Jade Empire was a pretty damn risky setting to do in the first place.  They've always done a great deal to push the RPG genre, which is excellent. 

For my money, I'd much rather have Bioware than Blizzard.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 02:05:12 AM »

I love me some Blizzard, but I appreciate that I can enjoy a new bioware game or two every year so I have to go with them. Plus, I gave my wife a stuffed bear that I named KOTOR.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2010, 06:20:39 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on December 31, 2009, 07:41:12 PM

That's because Blizzard doesn't make RPG's, Bioware does.  Action RPG's (Diablo) and MMORPG's (WoW) aren't what I'd consider "true" RPG's, thus the story restrictions.  Still for their genres, I'd say Blizzard takes the story cake hands down.  I wouldn't say Bioware is innovative either.  All their stories are cut and paste formulas.  I'll give them some credit on gameplay.  Overall, I'd take Blizzard easily.  Other than Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 I never replay Bioware games.  The hours I've sunk into Blizzard games, even excluding WoW, is probably order(s) of magnitude higher than the hours spent on Bioware epics.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 09:08:30 AM »

I'm sort of an "old" Blizzard fan who loved Diablo and SC, loved D2 less than Diablo, was lukewarm on Warcraft III, and didn't like WoW at all (I did buy it). It's sort of, the more massively successful Blizz has become, the less I enjoy their games (I realize I'm in a microsopic minority in that feeling  icon_smile). I don't spend much time posting links about SC2 and Diablo 3 anymore cause well, they don't need my blowhard support as much as smaller entities might.  icon_razz

I'd just keep in mind Blizzard has virtual armies working on Starcraft 2 (which is basically 3 separate games) and Diablo 3 (which at this rate, might not come out 'til the next Aught).  icon_razz There was a time when you could look forward to a new non-MMO Blizzard release every couple of years or so, and I really do miss those days but WoW pretty much blots out the sun with its success and they don't need the revenue from a new release every couple years anymore (aside from WoW expansions), so I understand it.

Bioware's bigger than it used to be but it's pretty clear it's a studio of EA (which worried me but so far EA seems very hands-off) while Blizzard is so monolithic at this point that they seem more of an equal footing partner in Activision Blizzard.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 01:38:47 PM »

I still worry for Bioware. I have this nagging EA hate in my head that some day Ill see the 2 docs leave Bioware and try to get the name, fail, and have to start a new company under a new name and their great days will be over. *Looks over at Mr Garriott*

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on January 01, 2010, 06:20:39 AM

That's because Blizzard doesn't make RPG's, Bioware does.  Action RPG's (Diablo) and MMORPG's (WoW) aren't what I'd consider "true" RPG's, thus the story restrictions.  Still for their genres, I'd say Blizzard takes the story cake hands down.  I wouldn't say Bioware is innovative either.  All their stories are cut and paste formulas.  I'll give them some credit on gameplay.  Overall, I'd take Blizzard easily.  Other than Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 I never replay Bioware games.  The hours I've sunk into Blizzard games, even excluding WoW, is probably order(s) of magnitude higher than the hours spent on Bioware epics.

Blizzard games have stories? 

warning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 04:09:34 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 01, 2010, 03:32:12 PM

Quote from: ScubaV on January 01, 2010, 06:20:39 AM

Blizzard games have stories? 

Sure they do.  Even just Warcraft III had an amazingly involved backstory that intertwined with the story of Arthas as it played out in the game.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 06:54:48 PM »

I havent gamed on a pc since 2002 and i would still take blizzard over bioware.  blizzard has never stumbled...ever.  bioware has released several mediocre games  (jade empire, mass effect). blizzard is considered one of if not the best game devs there is for a reason. they innovate and enhance and then polish polish polish. i wondersometimes if bioware even has a qa dept.  

Wow, I could not possibly disagree more.  Bioware is the Pixar of gaming:  they simply never miss for me.  By comparison, outside of Diablo II, there isn't a Blizzard game that I would even put in my top 50.
From a gaming standpoint I would agree with you. I would take Bioware over Blizzard any day of the week. The Baldur's Gate series are my favorite RPGs ever, and I enjoyed Mass Effect and Jade Empire immensely. I'm praying the rumors of a Jade Empire 2 are true. I've only dabbled in Dragon Age, but it looks fabulous. I can't call them the Pixar of gaming, however. Pixar would never have made Neverwinter Nights. Only the fan mods saved those titles from mediocrity. And that Sonic RPG on the DS......

I'm also really, really concerned about the direction EA will take Bioware. I foresee them trying to turn Bioware into a MMO house if the Knights MMO does well.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 05:29:11 AM »

I like the games of both studios equally well I would say. Each of them has had some games that did not strike a true chord with me, but if I had to choose which one I would want around over the other it would be Blizzard, hands down. They've got their shit together and it shows in their products since they began.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 05:34:31 AM »

this, minus the part about any Blizzard game being in my top 50.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 05:53:46 AM »

I like both companies as well, but if I had to choose I would pick Blizzard over Bioware. Blizzard hasn't released a poor effort yet whereas Bioware has put out some good-but-not-great games (NWN, Jade Empire, Mass Effect).
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2010, 06:03:33 AM »

Quote from: Koz on January 02, 2010, 05:53:46 AM

I like both companies as well, but if I had to choose I would pick Blizzard over Bioware. Blizzard hasn't released a poor effort yet whereas Bioware has put out some good-but-not-great games (NWN, Jade Empire, Mass Effect).

I'm the opposite.  I'd rather have a lot of releases that do new things and maybe aren't all perfect (though I definitely wouldn't put Jade and ME in the good-but-not-great category), but that frequently do something different.  Blizzard puts out a small number of games that are very good, but very much the same thing that I've played before.  I seriously doubt that Starcraft 2.1, .2, or .3 will do anything dramatically different than Starcraft 1 or Warcraft 3.

Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2010, 03:52:47 AM »

For me, Bioware by 1,000 since RPGs are my favorite genre overall.  Blizzard's games haven't really caught my interest.  For some reason, I just never tried Diablo, etc back in the day.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 05:13:06 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 31, 2009, 06:52:30 PM

Metaxritic has it at 89 based off of 84 reviews.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbx/jadeempire

Hardly turd worthy or really mediocre.

Mass Effect got a 91 which is mediocre how?

Neither one of these companies seems to miss.

morlac00 on PSN
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 05:24:42 PM »

I like both companies and they're on a very short list of companies and games that I'll buy sight-unseen (meaning on release).  CA was on that list, until they released Empire: Total Pile of Suck. 

My preference is RPGs and I loathe RTS games, so I probably lean a tad towards Bioware.  But in terms of gaming hours, nothing has occupied my time like WoW and I probably ran through Diablo half a dozen times.  I think Blizz products are probably more polished and overall better than Bioware's but that's like saying that Cohibas are better than Montecristos (for cuban cigar buffs). 

Needless to say, I hope that both continue to release some of the most awesome games ever seen on the PC. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 10:15:09 PM »

Valve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: