http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 02:57:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bioengineering  (Read 1200 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2009, 05:10:06 PM »

Anyone majored in Bioengineering? Working in this field? Tell me about it, if you would, as I'm interested in learning about this field. My business degree doesn't seem to be any more useful than my highschool diploma.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 08:32:03 PM »

I made glow in the dark bacteria in high school; does that count?
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 12:19:14 PM »

No, I'm pretty sure he wants more specific information than just what was developing in your Phys Ed locker.  icon_lol

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
map

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »

Do you have any science background? There is talk about a huge push to start this hybrid science/ business degree[masters level i think]. the idea being that these new grads would facilitate the transition between the lab discoveries and their implementation in the real world. Check "Science News". I think I read the article in the last two months. Here it is;
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/40906/title/Science_%2B_the_Public__AAAS_The_New_Masters_of_Science_
But again do you have any background in the Sciences?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 01:06:54 PM by map » Logged

Save America, shoot your television.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 02:03:10 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 29, 2009, 05:10:06 PM

Anyone majored in Bioengineering? Working in this field? Tell me about it, if you would, as I'm interested in learning about this field. My business degree doesn't seem to be any more useful than my highschool diploma.

Why bioengineering?  What are you looking to do?  The thing with most engineering degrees is that you'll have to go back and basically start from scratch again.  In most schools, they have dedicated engineering physics and engineering calculus, for instance, which are different than the normal physics and calculus most people take (read most bio/chem majors).  You can expect to spend another 3+ years in undergrad if you want to pursue an engineering degree.  Depending upon what you want to do, you may be able to get by with a molecular biology degree, or a biochem degree.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 03:57:16 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on August 30, 2009, 12:19:14 PM

No, I'm pretty sure he wants more specific information than just what was developing in your Phys Ed locker.  icon_lol
Hey now, I took mad scientist training in high school.     We also reanimated strips of dead muscle and made it wiggle across slides and made exploding foam!  icon_razz
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 05:08:09 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on August 29, 2009, 08:32:03 PM

You can stay out of my thread, thanks.

As for why I want to get into bioengineering, I don't have much of a science background but I've always paid attention to it and am intrigued by it, but mainly I want a field of work that will pay well and have jobs. Biotech seems to be a good way to go, no? 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 03:58:24 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 11:03:43 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 30, 2009, 05:08:09 PM

You can stay out of my thread, thanks asshole.

Classy response for a staff member.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 12:45:46 AM »

Guess it depends on how much school you want to pay for.  Am thinking not many of your undergrad classes are going to apply so you may be in for taking quite a few basic engineering/science/match prereqs
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 01:15:59 AM »

Whoa, chill, he's just joking around. Don't take it so personal.

As for your question, I'm contemplating doing a similar thing. I'm in my last year in law school, and it seems my law degree will be next to worthless. I'm thinking of going for a B.S. after.

If I do it, what I plan to do is go to community college and take as many classes as I can towards that degree, before going to an university. Save a ton of money.

But on the other hand, do I *really* need that many degrees? I feel like I'm going nowhere. But that's an issue for another thread.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 01:33:32 AM »

Quote from: dmd on August 30, 2009, 11:03:43 PM

And why has this gone 7 hours without a response from moderation? GT has always puzzled me in this department, sometimes a bit overboard, sometimes they don't even pay attention.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 01:55:39 AM »

As for why I want to get into bioengineering, I don't have much of a science background but I've always paid attention to it and am intrigued by it, but mainly I want a field of work that will pay well and have jobs. Biotech seems to be a good way to go, no?  

You don't have to go bioengineering to get into biotechnology.  Biotech companies hire a wide variety of people, including those with degrees in biology (including molecular or cellular biology), and those with backgrounds in chemistry and biochemisty.  All of the aforementioned degrees tend to be a bit easier to get through than your typical engineering programs.  However, please note that for most bio-related disciplines (even bioengineering), a bachelors degree is simply the entry degree, and most folks you'll be running up against for jobs hold masters (and many will hold PhDs).

Another option to consider is pursuing a truncated program to get the basic science classes (biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics) out of the way, without getting another bachelors, and then directly apply to a masters program.  In fact, many universities are starting to field degrees in biotechnology (see Hopkins' masters programs in biotech).  

It also depends on what you want to do in biotech; if you want to get use out of your business degree, a degree in biology plus your business degree is likely enough to get a foothold, though you'd be most valuable with a BS and an MBA (and some schools offer joint programs).  You'd be then working on the business side.  However, if you want to pursue the product/drug development side, a degree in bioengineering or biochemistry would be more helpful...though most people in drug development have at least masters degrees, and many have PhDs.  You can also pursue regulatory, and in many cases, a bachelors in science is enough (i.e., biology, cell bio, etc.) in regulatory.  Or marketing/sales, and in that case, you don't really need a science background (though it's helpful to have, and attractive from a hiring perspective).

Lots of options.  You're not just restricted to bioengineering to get into the field.  In fact, the more I think about it, you may really want to think about pharma/biotech sales...they make tons of money, you're not required to have a science degree, and you can generally find jobs.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 02:39:27 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on August 31, 2009, 01:55:39 AM

In fact, the more I think about it, you may really want to think about pharma/biotech sales...they make tons of money, you're not required to have a science degree, and you can generally find jobs.
But you have to be a hot chick Tongue.

And that's a really weird overblown response with the asshole stuff above btw.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 02:54:19 AM »

the real question is whether biotech is the place to be....i thought biotech bubbled an popped a few years back.

If you are willing to explore the pain of pursuing another degree why not something that would get you into the alternate energy field or nuclear engineering.  i would bet nuclear power makes a resurgence soon
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 03:01:50 AM »

Quote from: Jaddison on August 31, 2009, 02:54:19 AM

the real question is whether biotech is the place to be....i thought biotech bubbled an popped a few years back.

If you are willing to explore the pain of pursuing another degree why not something that would get you into the alternate energy field or nuclear engineering.  i would bet nuclear power makes a resurgence soon

Until we can totally clone a replacement body or pick and choose talents for our future babies from a list, I think biotech still has long way to go before the bubble pops.

We still haven't engineered a plant that can produce fossil fuel that eliminate the need of oil drilling.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 03:04:03 AM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 03:29:16 AM »

Quote from: Lee on August 31, 2009, 01:33:32 AM

Quote from: dmd on August 30, 2009, 11:03:43 PM

And why has this gone 7 hours without a response from moderation? GT has always puzzled me in this department, sometimes a bit overboard, sometimes they don't even pay attention.

Or maybe we have lives that involves more than just posting on forums unlike yourself maybe? 

This was the first time I sat in front of a PC or even in my house since 10:30 am.  Get over yourself.   This isn't a full time job, and we do this voluntarily.  And I find it funny that you think that this board is over moderated.  In fact, we rarely  have to step in to moderate, mainly because most people are capable to have a civilized discussion without resulting in insults. 

Staff members are to follow the same rules as everyone else.  They are not any more special than anyone else.   I just got home and saw the reported post. Btw, did you report anything, no, you didn't, so if you wanted to alert the mods, which typically gives a faster response (there are exceptions like today) that's the way to do it, rather than make that ridiculous statement.  I haven't commented on it yet because I wanted to read the rest of the thread, and that's when I saw your post.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 03:55:53 AM »

Quote from: naednek on August 31, 2009, 03:29:16 AM

Or maybe we have lives that involves more than just posting on forums unlike yourself maybe?

No reason to get personal. I assumed moderators are picked on a few things, regulars who spend a lot of time at the forum and people who are respected by the community.  Even if you were gone all day, I would think there were a few who do read the forum on a Sunday.

This was the first time I sat in front of a PC or even in my house since 10:30 am.  Get over yourself.   This isn't a full time job, and we do this voluntarily.  And I find it funny that you think that this board is over moderated.  In fact, we rarely  have to step in to moderate, mainly because most people are capable to have a civilized discussion without resulting in insults. 

Just got over myself, thank you. See above. Great Ken, you had a lot to do today.

I didn't say the board was over moderated. I did say I think there has been times where it has gone overboard. Such as on anything that was R&P was instantly locked before. Now there is an R&P forum its not moderated at all. I have seen many threads here that were far from civilized, as made proof of by Ridah and your posts in this thread.

Staff members are to follow the same rules as everyone else.  They are not any more special than anyone else.

Staff members being an ass reflects poorly on GT. They most certainly should be held to a higher standard.

I just got home and saw the reported post. Btw, did you report anything, no, you didn't, so if you wanted to alert the mods, which typically gives a faster response (there are exceptions like today) that's the way to do it, rather than make that ridiculous statement.  I haven't commented on it yet because I wanted to read the rest of the thread, and that's when I saw your post.

I gave up on GT moderation long ago, I didn't see the point in reporting it.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 04:03:01 AM »

I shouldn't have made a personal attack against another forum member because it's against the CoC, so I apologize for that. Still, I don't fancy having my threads padded with off-topic humor. If you wanted to bump my thead, Lordnine, you could have said something useful, but it doesn't make sense to me why you would believe it's your job to bump threads.

I edited my post but I'm moving on from this and getting back on subject.

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 04:09:43 AM »

The idea to get into bioengineering came from my Dad, I've been looking for jobs but I haven't been having ANY luck, so he suggested maybe I should get into engineering. From that point I just picked a field which I thought would see a lot of growth over the next decade or so. However, the math requirements are pretty daunting. I might just go with Biology and look into MBAs at a future time. I'm 25 now, the way I see it I'm willing to dedicate my 20s to figuring out what I want a career in and going to school. As long as by the time I hit 30 I'm doing something, I'll be content slywink
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 04:11:28 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 04:22:04 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 31, 2009, 04:03:01 AM

I shouldn't have made a personal attack against another forum member because it's against the CoC, so I apologize for that. Still, I don't fancy having my threads padded with off-topic humor.

Then don't post if you can't handle it. Its part of forum life.
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 04:30:26 AM »

Maybe peruse these links if you haven't already:

http://www.aimbe.org/

http://www.asabe.org/

http://www.aiche.org/sbe/index.aspx

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 01:32:52 PM »

Biotech boomed on venture capital, when the capital dried up I am fairly sure biotech went into a downturn.

Advanced mathematics shouldn't scare anyone....math is more about how much time you are willing to put into repetition to get through the classes.  Hardcore engineering disciplines will almost always be in demand.  They will also be the toughest to get through using night school...there are a few decent online programs for EE and ME and Systems Eng for respected colleges.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 02:21:10 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on August 31, 2009, 01:32:52 PM

Biotech boomed on venture capital, when the capital dried up I am fairly sure biotech went into a downturn.

Biotech is doing fine; it's past the bubble stage and well-established as a profitable venture.  Venture capital is only important for small companies who rely on it; however, there are several huge, established biotech companies by now.  See Amgen (3 billion in profit last year on 14 billion on revenue), Genentech (3 billion in profit last year, 13 billion in revenue), and Monsanto (agbiotech company).  What's interesting is that Amgen and Genentech showed profits and revenue that are similar to much larger pharma companies, but with a much smaller employee base.  Also, biotech has the patent advantage; while the patents on many brand name pharma drugs are running out...the patents on many of the big name biotech drugs are still valid for years.  Plus genericizing biotech drugs is much more difficult (and the regulatory pathway is not yet finalized) than producing generic versions of brand names.

Quote from: Ridah
I might just go with Biology and look into MBAs at a future time. I'm 25 now, the way I see it I'm willing to dedicate my 20s to figuring out what I want a career in and going to school. As long as by the time I hit 30 I'm doing something, I'll be content

Seriously, think about getting your biology degree, and at least going into sales.  And then leverage that experience and your insider position at the company into getting them to pay for an exec MBA, and moving up the sales ladder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: