http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 08:35:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Day For Shifty (and other NHL deadline deals)  (Read 3108 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2007, 10:00:51 PM »

My team was silent, as usual, but there was plenty to talk about!

I like what the Isles, Canucks, Pens and Flyers did.

Any thoughts?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 10:08:30 PM »

I'm happy to see the Isles kept Blake.  There was talk of shopping him around, and honestly, he's been their most valuable player for the past 2 or 3 seasons.  It would have been a travesty had he been traded away.

Now they need to lock him up with a decent contract.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:09:38 PM »

Don, you an Isles fan?  Enjoy Smyth... Lowe just traded the heart and soul of the Oilers for a bag of pucks.   crybaby
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 10:15:15 PM »

Yep.  Grew up about 20 minutes away from the Coliseum as part of a family of Islander fans.

Did I miss something?  What is this deal you are referring to?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 10:18:32 PM »

SELL BABY.  SELL!!!!

FIRST OVERALL PICK HERE WE COME.

GO KINGS GO.

gellar
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 10:19:04 PM »

The Islanders traded for Ryan Smyth from the Oilers.  After getting Richard Zednik yesterday, I'm impressed with what Garth Snow did.

Devil, is David Hale any good as a defensive D-man?  The Flames traded for him, and plan on putting him in the lineup immediately.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 10:21:16 PM »

Hot damn.

I'm going to have to tune in to the pregame show tonight.

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 10:28:01 PM »

Bruins shipped Brad Boyes to St. Louis for Dennis Wideman. Not a blockbuster trade by any means, but I really liked Boyes and I think Chiarelli sold him when his price was at his lowest. He was the fourth highest scoring rookie last year, behind a couple guys named Crosby and Ovechkin. He's had a pretty poor second year, but was just starting to turn it around with four goals in four games.... so we traded him, oy.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 11:21:28 PM »

Easy picks by Vancouver, though they needed some bigger scoring than they'll ever get from Sopel or Smolinski.

Also - Ryan Smyth!!!! WTF  eek
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 12:51:02 AM »

Quote from: CSL on February 27, 2007, 11:21:28 PM

Easy picks by Vancouver, though they needed some bigger scoring than they'll ever get from Sopel or Smolinski.

Yeah, being a local Vancouverite I'm quite happy with the trade, the fact we didn't give up too much is a real plus. In regards to scoring...hell we just need to get our current offence scoring; most of whom have put up good numbers in other seasons.

At 1st I was shocked about the Smith trade, although it really just looks like a rental. I wouldn't be suprised to see him back on the Oilers next season. Since he's one of my favorites, I'll be real choked if he's not back somewhere in the NW next year. Come to think of it the the Canucks would be a perfect home for him. icon_razz

And Bertuzzi to Detroit....no comment. stirthepot
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 12:54:17 AM »

Detroit picked up Calder and Bertuzzi.  Honestly, I'm not sure what to think.  I have no idea what Calder can do, and Bertuzzi is a huge question mark with his back, but fortunately what we give up is conditionally tied to our playoff performance and his ability to play.  Aside from that, he brings the big, gritty, power forward we need, but I'm not sure how I feel about taking on the guy who almost killed someone on ice.  icon_confused

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 01:00:00 AM »

Quote from: ScubaV on February 28, 2007, 12:54:17 AM

Detroit picked up Calder and Bertuzzi.  Honestly, I'm not sure what to think.  I have no idea what Calder can do, and Bertuzzi is a huge question mark with his back, but fortunately what we give up is conditionally tied to our playoff performance and his ability to play.  Aside from that, he brings the big, gritty, power forward we need, but I'm not sure how I feel about taking on the guy who almost killed someone on ice.  icon_confused

Heh, heh. I'm must glad he's there and not here.  icon_twisted
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 03:11:16 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 28, 2007, 12:51:02 AM

Quote from: CSL on February 27, 2007, 11:21:28 PM

Yeah, being a local Vancouverite I'm quite happy with the trade, the fact we didn't give up too much is a real plus. In regards to scoring...hell we just need to get our current offence scoring; most of whom have put up good numbers in other seasons.

At 1st I was shocked about the Smith trade, although it really just looks like a rental. I wouldn't be suprised to see him back on the Oilers next season. Since he's one of my favorites, I'll be real choked if he's not back somewhere in the NW next year. Come to think of it the the Canucks would be a perfect home for him. icon_razz

And Bertuzzi to Detroit....no comment. stirthepot

If he does re-sign with the Oil next year, I'll admit that Kevin Lowe is a genius - but I don't think it's going to happen.  Once again the Oilers let a skill player slip through their fingers because of some misguided conception that they have to keep salaries low on behalf of small market teams.  Only player they've ever committed big money to is Pronger.   mad  I just can't understand what the hell Lowe is thinking in the players we got back in return.  We give up an all star, and get 2 prospects and a first round pick in a weak draft year.  The story here in town is that Lowe only shopped around for half a day, and according to a poll by TSN, 20 GMs in the league didn't realize Smyth was on the table and would have made offers.  WTF!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 03:15:28 AM »

Pr0 -

Hale is like wallpaper. I don't even think you'll notice him. Maybe that's what you need though.

I think Lou just moved him out so we could bring Matvichuk back to the team at some point when the playoffs start because the salary cap 'goes away' in the playoffs.

Just thought I'd ask who the best goalie in the NHL is while I'm here?  Tongue

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 03:38:46 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 28, 2007, 01:00:00 AM

Quote from: ScubaV on February 28, 2007, 12:54:17 AM

Heh, heh. I'm must glad he's there and not here.  icon_twisted
Quiet you!

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 03:57:34 AM »

I'm calling it now:  Ryan Smyth - LA King next year.  Unless someone wants to outbid maybe $5 mil per for the guy, I can guarantee the Kings will gun hard after him.

He'd look damn fine on a line with Kopitar and O'Sullivan.

gellar
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 04:27:55 AM »

Quote from: Devil on February 28, 2007, 03:15:28 AM

Pr0 -

Hale is like wallpaper. I don't even think you'll notice him. Maybe that's what you need though.

I think Lou just moved him out so we could bring Matvichuk back to the team at some point when the playoffs start because the salary cap 'goes away' in the playoffs.

Yeah.  The Flames need another steady blueliner.  Their D has been rather porous this year, and Miikka isn't looking quite as good as a result.  Thank goodness the Flames are #5 in scoring in the NHL right now (though #9 in goals against isn't too shabby!).

Best goalie in the NHL right now?  Probably Brodeur, followed by Kipper and Luongo.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 05:03:32 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on February 28, 2007, 04:27:55 AM

Pr0 -

Yeah.  The Flames need another steady blueliner.  Their D has been rather porous this year, and Miikka isn't looking quite as good as a result.  Thank goodness the Flames are #5 in scoring in the NHL right now (though #9 in goals against isn't too shabby!).

Best goalie in the NHL right now?  Probably Brodeur, followed by Kipper and Luongo.

And somewhere, way at the bottom of that list, perhaps under it... is Dan Cloutier.

gellar
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 06:12:27 AM »

Quote from: gellar on February 28, 2007, 05:03:32 AM

Pr0 -

And somewhere, way at the bottom of that list, perhaps under it... is Dan Cloutier.

gellar

You're welcome.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 06:46:34 AM »

Quote from: CSL on February 28, 2007, 06:12:27 AM

Quote from: gellar on February 28, 2007, 05:03:32 AM

Pr0 -

gellar

You're welcome.

Enjoy the draft picks we gave you!  I HOPE THEY ALL HAVE SYPHILIS.

gellar
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 01:27:14 PM »

Big day indeed!  I heard about the trade on my way home from work yesterday.  I was on pins and needles yesterday.  I was so nervous that Blake would have been traded.  I was like "oh my god what the hell is Snow thinking?  Does Milbury have a gun to his head?"  Thank God they didn't trade him!  Blake to me represents what the Islanders are all about.  So, what did Blake do in last nights game against Philly?  How about a natural hat trick in the first period!!!  The Isles played with so much emotion in the 1st period last night.  It was fun to watch.

For the first time since the early 80's I'm actually starting to believe in the Islanders again.  Who would have ever thought they would be where they are today after the circus that was the last off season.  I don't think they have a chance to win the cup this year by any stretch but they are on the right road.  I think with a few more moves they could be serious contenders.  And I'm really impressed with Ted Nolan and his coaching style.  He's no Al Arbour, but he's the best since then.

So we sit now in 7th place with a big home and home coming up next week against the Manhattan Smurfs.  Those two games will make/break their playoff hopes.  Isles/Smurfs games are packed with emotion.

Devil - if the Isles hold on and squeak in we could be looking at an Isles/Devils first round.  Bring it on baby.  headbang

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 04:30:04 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 28, 2007, 03:57:34 AM

I'm calling it now:  Ryan Smyth - LA King next year.  Unless someone wants to outbid maybe $5 mil per for the guy, I can guarantee the Kings will gun hard after him.

gellar

Smytty was asking for 5.5 mill a year, for 5 years.  The reason Lowe didn't pony up is because while he might be worth it now, he probably won't be at 36 years old.  We offered him 5 a year for 5 years, and he declined.  In free agency, I see no reason why his agent Meehan won't ask at least 5.5 mill a year again.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 04:37:07 PM »

I hate all you non sabres... No one ever mentiones the leading point getters this season but  me...

a pox on you all

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 04:49:02 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on February 28, 2007, 04:37:07 PM

I hate all you non sabres... No one ever mentiones the leading point getters this season but  me...

a pox on you all

Well, drowngrading your backup goaltender from Marty Biron to Ty Conklin speaks for itself.  We didn't want to poke too much fun at that insane deal.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007, 05:58:15 PM »

gellar

Yup I've thought of that too, I've also wondered if Colorado might be a possibility. I just don't know the situation in Colorado well enough, but hey it would keep Smytty in the NW.  thumbsup
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:53:21 PM by kronovan » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 06:05:24 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on February 28, 2007, 04:30:04 PM

gellar

Smytty was asking for 5.5 mill a year, for 5 years.  The reason Lowe didn't pony up is because while he might be worth it now, he probably won't be at 36 years old.  We offered him 5 a year for 5 years, and he declined.  In free agency, I see no reason why his agent Meehan won't ask at least 5.5 mill a year again.

I don't think I'd be too upset if we offered him that kind of money.

gellar
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 06:26:55 PM »

I think Smyth will remain an Islander next year.  You don't go out and trade away two young prospects and a first round draft pick for someone who will play 19 games and possibly a round of playoffs.  That would be stupid.  Although, Milbury is still a part of the Islander organization so anything could happen.

I'm hoping there is some way they can dump the dead weight that is Alexi Yashin.  Then signing Smyth won't be a problem.

XM Channel 76
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 06:38:24 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on February 28, 2007, 06:26:55 PM

I think Smyth will remain an Islander next year.  You don't go out and trade away two young prospects and a first round draft pick for someone who will play 19 games and possibly a round of playoffs.  That would be stupid.  Although, Milbury is still a part of the Islander organization so anything could happen.

I'm hoping there is some way they can dump the dead weight that is Alexi Yashin.  Then signing Smyth won't be a problem.

Ahem.  It's the Islanders.  Need I remind you of:

A) You're aforementioned Yashin contract pariah.  You're stuck with that one.
and...
B) REPEATING THE SAME THING with DiPietro.  Brilliant!

Nothing is guaranteed on the Isle.  Other than comedy, that is.

gellar
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 07:41:15 PM »

Well, the Pens were fairly active, but not sure I like the moves completely.  We are a weak face off team,but gave away Moore who was our best Faceoff man at 51% and improving.  Roberts, in his prime was great... now...can he keep up with the Kid?  My biggest dissapointment is that we didn't get a solid D-man to shore up our blue line.  Brent Sopel would have been a good fit and we missed out on him...he went very cheap.  With our current defense I don't think we will go very far, and so then we gave away Noah Welch, a good defensive prospect for nothing.  The Carcillo-Laraque trade was a good move tho.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 07:51:19 PM »

Sopel is relatively worthless.  He had a good first half of the year and kinda went downhill when he came back from injury.  He does have a nice shot from the point, but that's about it.

Laraque was a damn fine addition.  The most intimidating man in the league is now there to protect your pretty boys Malkin and Crosby.  Well done.

gellar
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 08:00:13 PM »

Sopel is better than Nasredine, Melichar and Scuderi easily.  And he is a right handed shot if I recall correctly.

Do you really think having Laraque will change how teams play against Crosby and Malkin tho?  And pretty boys?? Seems to me they both stand up for themselves, I know Brendan Witt was second guessing his hit on Malkin earlier this year.

Pretty boy would be Markus Naslund when he first broke into the league in Pittsburgh, he got challenged by an opponent and he litterally ran away, took a lot of heat for that in the locker room which in my opinion was a big reason he needed a change of scenery to be able to develop into the player he is today.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2007, 08:04:03 PM »

Yeah it's a bit of a joke from me, they're certainly tough players.  And ABSOLUTELY teams will play them differently.  Teams will now know that if they so much as hit one of those guys, they've signed up their toughest guy to get his ass handed to him by Laraque.  End. Of. Story.

gellar
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2007, 08:10:49 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 28, 2007, 08:04:03 PM

Yeah it's a bit of a joke from me, they're certainly tough players.  And ABSOLUTELY teams will play them differently.  Teams will now know that if they so much as hit one of those guys, they've signed up their toughest guy to get his ass handed to him by Laraque.  End. Of. Story.

gellar

But how does that change it.  If Hatcher decides to knock a few of Crosby's teeth out again, big whoop if Laraque goes after him or one of Philly's other tough guys... now if Laraque would go out and do the same to Gagne then sure, but that isn't how it works.  I really hope it does change the way teams play us, but honestly I just don't see it happening.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2007, 08:14:29 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on February 28, 2007, 08:10:49 PM

Quote from: gellar on February 28, 2007, 08:04:03 PM

gellar

But how does that change it.  If Hatcher decides to knock a few of Crosby's teeth out again, big whoop if Laraque goes after him or one of Philly's other tough guys... now if Laraque would go out and do the same to Gagne then sure, but that isn't how it works.  I really hope it does change the way teams play us, but honestly I just don't see it happening.

Certainly teams with legitimate guys who can hold their own against Laraque (really not that many - Boogard is the only one I can think of, Chara as well I guess) won't think twice.  Other teams will take the run knowing they will get pounded.  Some teams, MANY teams would turtle.  There's a difference between having to throwdown against a guy you have a chance against vs having to throwdown knowing you're going to get killed.  It's all a give and take.  Laraque in the lineup will prevent more runs than not-Laraque in the lineup.

gellar
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2007, 09:00:16 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 28, 2007, 06:38:24 PM

and...

gellar

With DiPietro I don't mind because he is actually a very, very good goaltender - a franchise goaltender if you will.  As long as he remembers to stay in net and not go on an offensive rush with the forward line.

Uh, the comedy thing I do agree with - before the season.  But, it is obvious that something is working here and I have been pleasantly surprised with Snow's work as a GM and Nolan as a coach so the "comedy stuff" is old news my friend and hardly applies right now.

Who do you like???  Please don't say the Smurfs.  I want to keep GT free and clear of any Smurf fans.  icon_wink

XM Channel 76
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2007, 09:27:36 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on February 28, 2007, 09:00:16 PM

Quote from: gellar on February 28, 2007, 06:38:24 PM

and...

gellar

With DiPietro I don't mind because he is actually a very, very good goaltender - a franchise goaltender if you will.

Name 5 franchise goaltenders not named Brodeur who were good enough to maintain "franchise" level for over 5 years.  I'll wait.

gellar
DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2007, 10:11:58 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 27, 2007, 10:18:32 PM

SELL BABY.  SELL!!!!

GO KINGS GO.

gellar

If we hadn't picked up Burke we'd already have locked the number one pick. I feel a little sorry for letting Matty go especially when we kept some road apples (I'm looking at you Blake, Miller and Garon) but overall I think we got more than should have from our trades.

docD
DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2007, 10:17:58 PM »

gellar

I think a Kopitar, Smyth, Frolov would be better. O'Sullivan hasn't proved he's ready to play on the first line yet.

docD
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2007, 10:21:44 PM »

What would really be funny is if the Islanders don't even make the playoffs. While they should with their new additions, they're only sitting 1 point from being out of contention.

Edit: I also need to add that Ryan Smyth looks like a cartoon.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 10:29:19 PM by Koz » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2007, 10:37:47 PM »

Quote from: DocD on February 28, 2007, 10:11:58 PM

Quote from: gellar on February 27, 2007, 10:18:32 PM

SELL BABY.  SELL!!!!

GO KINGS GO.

gellar

If we hadn't picked up Burke we'd already have locked the number one pick. I feel a little sorry for letting Matty go especially when we kept some road apples (I'm looking at you Blake, Miller and Garon) but overall I think we got more than should have from our trades.

docD

Agreed.  Part of me was hoping they'd play Fukufuji all year.  I do think Miller is underrated this year though.  He was terrible the past few years, but this year I'd call him our 2nd best D-man behind Lubo.

gellar
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: