http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 03:02:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way for newbie guitar player to progress?  (Read 378 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2012, 10:53:15 PM »

My 9 year old son has been learning guitar now for about 5 months. I initially found some youtube videos where he learned basic cords. We then bought Rocksmith and he plays that regularly and he is damn good at it.

The problem is we have come to a point where we don't know how to progress as he is bored with Rocksmith and just strumming basic cords over and over.

So for those out there, what are some suggestions on how to progress? I was thinking of looking into buying a cord book with some songs he would like to learn. But is that too much? Not sure where to go from here.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 12:50:44 AM »

The best online resource I've found is the beginner and intermediate lessons (with video) by Justin Sandercoe: www.justinguitar.com

All of the lessons are free.  For whatever reason, his delivery style works with me, and I've progressed faster from his lessons than from anywhere else.  Plus, if you can get your hands on his beginner songbook for your son, that thing is great.  100 or so songs, with easy to follow along chords and tabs.  He has a ton of resources on his site, with the intermediate stuff being too advanced for me.  I'm still working on the beginner lessons.

Unlike other online lessons, I don't get bored with his.  He does have some videos of chord walk throughs for a decent amount of songs.  This stuff may be too easy for him...for me it's been really helpful. 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 03:54:29 AM »

What Roguetad said, plus finding favorite songs on ultimate-guitar.com and learning them in conjunction.  If possible, have your son practice daily with a mix of Justin lessons and "fun" practice of favorite songs.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 07:13:03 PM »

Get him lessons with an actual teacher.  Online lessons are great, but getting that immediate feedback from someone who knows what they're doing is invaluable.
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »

Definitely get him with a good teacher. I've played for over 20 years and wish I had started with one when I was younger.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 04:27:05 AM »

Also, windows media player has a half-speed option. Rightclick on the play button. Makes learning riffs much easier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: