http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 01:57:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best shoes for working on your feet all day?  (Read 22419 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2011, 01:03:41 PM »

Picked up a part-time job that has me walking 8 hours straight (patrolling a beach condominium) can't even sit down for 10 minutes.. at my other job, I'm probably chilling in a control booth for 6 out of the 8 hours (other 2 are patrols through the dorms, conducting counts, etc.) so I'm not used to being on my feet for 8 straight hours. It sounded easy on paper but I actually did it.. damn..!

Got off of work 2 hours ago and my feet are still hurting!

If such a shoe even exists for helping you on your feet all day, I'd prefer more of a dress shoe as we wear business like attire at the site. I have a basic pair of dress shoes with the dr. scholl (sp?) inside but didn't seem to do any good.
I'm sure after doing this a couple weeks I'll start to get more used to it, but like I said I'm so used to not being on my feet an entire shift that on my first day of doing it it really kicked my ass.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 01:25:31 PM »

I stand on a cement floor at work all day.  I went to a specialty store for my shoes.  They are made by Brooks and have made a world of difference. The shoes I got were designed for people working in the postal service.  Of course they were by no means cheap, ringing up at $125 but I do not regret the purchase.  Google orthopedic shoes in your area to find stores that specialize.  I can also tell you that your feet may "get used to it" for awhile but the pounding they are taking will eventually build up and then you will feel it every day.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 01:58:39 PM »

If you can get away with it attire-wise I would highly recommend vibrams. I wear them all day every day now and I feel so much better than I used to after a long day on my feet.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 02:06:44 PM »

I good pair of merrells light hiking shoes are awesome. I've worn them for a long time. They all have vibram soles now I believe. I have a pair of Brooks running shoes and they are really good. I do recommend going to a true specialty store that actually knows something about feet. Foot Locker or whatever they usually don't know anything about what your needs are.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 03:02:48 PM »

Good shoes? yes get them but in the mean time you should massage the bottoms of your feet until they get used to the pounding. You can use a golf ball or baseball to roll your feet over. Soaking your feet in a bucket of warm water with Epsom salts will also help. Once your plantar faschia gets in shape you won't have to massage as much. Cheaper than orthotic specialty shoes.  nod
This video is annoying but you will get the idea.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 03:11:32 PM by hispanicgamer » Logged

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 03:35:04 PM »

Funny. I just started working 8-9 hours a day in retail, on my feet, etc. I bought some Dr. Scholl's soles to put in my boots that were the worst offenders, but they didn't do much other than make my shoes feel smaller.

When I wear my sneakers (x-trainers), I feel ok. Though once I get some more bucks, the plan is to make my yearly investment in some shoes, I think.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 04:08:13 PM »

Any quality, lightweight Hiking boots/shoes are the way to go IMO. If there's anything on your patrol route that could result in twisting an ankle, you need ankle high boots.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »

I recommend Ecco brand shoes
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 05:16:55 PM »

As others have said, I would highly recommend you go to a store where they'll watch you walk, etc etc. While everyone can sit here and recommend you a brand/model or anything else, they're recommending something that works for them. Your feet are unique, and what works for me or anyone else may or may not work for you.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 06:28:01 PM »

I'm diabetic and had a plantar fasciatis problem so I got sent to a podiatrist.  He told me to go Rockport or New Balance (depending on the style I need).  He also told me to go to a good shoe store that could fit me properly.  He said that the fitting is quite often messed up and it is worth it to go to an expert.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 06:50:12 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on October 06, 2011, 06:28:01 PM

I'm diabetic and had a plantar fasciatis problem so I got sent to a podiatrist.  He told me to go Rockport or New Balance (depending on the style I need).  He also told me to go to a good shoe store that could fit me properly.  He said that the fitting is quite often messed up and it is worth it to go to an expert.

Diabetics have special foot issues so fit is particularly an issue there.  That said, getting shoes (and insoles) made especially for your feet can only help.  I've heard adds about Dr. Scholls kiosk machines at some Walmarts where you stand on the machine and it looks at your feet and then recommends a particular insole.  That isn't going to work as well as going to a podiatrist or place that focuses on high end shoes, but it might be a cheaper way to improve things.   Quality shoes are the first step either way, though.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 07:38:31 PM »

I was going to say 'no shoes, duh!', but I guess I wasn't understanding the question...
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 08:49:43 PM »

If you can get used to the rolling motion (similar to Skecher's Shape-ups), I'd recommend MBT shoes.  I got mine online at footwearetc.  I believe this is the one I have, it looks like a work/dress shoe from most angles:

http://www.footwearetc.com/Mens/Shoes/_/MBT-Lofa-Black-Leather-Mens/

Most comfortable shoe I've ever worn, and apparently they've dropped the price more than half since I bought them, I think I'm gonna order another pair right now.

Features include:

•Leather or nubuck upper with elastic goring
•3D mesh lining helps keep your feet cool and dry
•Dual density midsole is made with TPU and nylon mixed with glass fibers for extra firmness and durability
•Multi-layered sole creates natural instability to emulate the feeling of walking on sand, and allows for better posture, toning properties, alleviation of back and foot pain, and increases shock absorption
•Casual rubber outsole provides good shock absorption and traction
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 10:00:07 PM »

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Men-Footwear-Shoes

There's about 20 in there that will work for you.  I own a pair of 4 year old merrell dress shoes I still wear that are great.  Would wear them at trade shows on my feet al lday.  I also own three other different pairs.  Great shoes, super comfy.  You will get more use to it but invest in some nice shoes.  8 x 5 hours will put a lot of mileage on your feet, wrap them nicely.

morlac00 on PSN
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 10:14:52 PM »

Anything by Rockport that fits the dress code.  Went from the USMC (boots/flightsuit) to wearing a suit and tie.  I had some dress shoes that were "good" but wore a hole in my ankle.  A Sikorsky tech rep I knew told me to go buy some Dressports by Rockport and those are fantastic shoes.  Rockport makes great foot wear.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 10:26:25 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Seems to be two votes in favor of Merrell and two for Rockport.
Am thinking of picking up one of these:
http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/21694M/0/Mens/Molton?dimensions=0
http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-rockport-anniello-black-p_id162736?cs=1_st_1

While neither specifically mention being designed for being on your feet all day, I'm willing to give either a try as I have to get something better than what I'm wearing now.

I may check into one of the specialty stores as well but am not looking to spend an arm and a leg on a pair of shoes for 2-3 days a week of work.

Also the vibrams sounded really good on paper but no way in hell I could pull off wearing those where I'm at! They look like giant scuba diving flippers!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
KC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 11:37:21 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on October 06, 2011, 10:26:25 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Seems to be two votes in favor of Merrell and two for Rockport.
http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/21694M/0/Mens/Molton?dimensions=0

While neither specifically mention being designed for being on your feet all day, I'm willing to give either a try as I have to get something better than what I'm wearing now.

I may check into one of the specialty stores as well but am not looking to spend an arm and a leg on a pair of shoes for 2-3 days a week of work.

Also the vibrams sounded really good on paper but no way in hell I could pull off wearing those where I'm at! They look like giant scuba diving flippers!

Don't forget Ecco!  You can find them at specialty shoe stores too.  You can also go to online stores like shoes.com or shoebuy.com and read the reviews.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 12:10:54 AM »

I'll put in another vote for Merrell...great shoes, and there a lot of different style options from dressy to casual.

I spend my work day standing around in an operating room and walking around the hospital on tile-covered concrete floors, so comfortable shoes are an absolute necessity.  I used to wear worn out shoes so that I didn't have to worry about ruining them with blood or other mess in the OR, but I quickly learned that it's worth every penny to buy dedicated, comfortable work shoes and take care of your feet.  I wear scrubs in the OR, so I can get away with sneakers, but some people don't find them comfortable to wear all day.  My last few pairs of work shoes have been Merrell trail running shoes with Vibram soles, and they're some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn...currently wearing these Merrell running shoes for 12 hours a day.  I can spend the entire day on my feet and rarely have any problems at the end of the day.  The other very popular choices around the OR are slip-ons and clogs from either Merrell of Dansko...very comfortable shoes if you need something that looks nicer.

The only downside to a good pair of Merrell or Dansko shoes is the cost, but I've found them to be very durable and worth every penny to keep my feet from aching at the end of the day.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 12:13:05 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on October 06, 2011, 10:26:25 PM

those shoes you listed run from $109 to $125.   I went to a specialty orthopedic shoe store, got sized and fitted by a certified pedorthist, who gave me several options.  I ended up paying $125 total for a great pair of shoes.   Please dont make the mistake of ordering on line, it shouldnt cost you any more than what youre looking at to get properly sized and fitted.   You tell them your working conditions and they will find the right shoes for you.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 01:48:22 AM »

Have you considered looking at your socks instead?  Where I currently work requires me standing for nearly 10 hours a day in steel toe boots.  So, not much choice in shoe comfortably, but what helped me was buying some great athletic socks from a sporting goods store.  Look for arch support and non-slip material.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 02:11:14 AM »

I have a pair of Dr Scholls shoes that I love. The gel padding is designed into the shoe rather than being a liner.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 07:21:30 AM »

Merrills are a solid choice, as surgeons wear them all day in the OR.  Or anesthesiologists, like disarm.

But if you want a comfortable business shoe, nothing beats Johnston & Murphy shoes.  Look and feel great...but they tend to be more expensive than what else has been mentioned here.  They last quite a long time, though.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 09:21:49 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on October 09, 2011, 07:21:30 AM

Merrills are a solid choice, as surgeons wear them all day in the OR.  Or anesthesiologists, like disarm.

But if you want a comfortable business shoe, nothing beats Johnston & Murphy shoes.  Look and feel great...but they tend to be more expensive than what else has been mentioned here.  They last quite a long time, though.

Agree with Merrell's... I have a pair of light hikers that are probably the best shoe I've ever owned.  They have a Vibram sole too.

I've had terrible luck with Johnston & Murphy though.  Owned two pairs and have pretty much sworn off the brand.  I've upgraded to idiot-level expensive business/dress shoes:  Allen Edmonds.  Big fan of those.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 12:56:02 PM »

Quote from: KC on October 06, 2011, 11:37:21 PM

Don't forget Ecco!  You can find them at specialty shoe stores too.  You can also go to online stores like shoes.com or shoebuy.com and read the reviews.

+1 for Ecco.  I bought a pair 2 years ago, and still wear them every day.  They're expensive ($120), but worth every penny.  Most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: