http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 02:48:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best New TV Show?  (Read 3243 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2006, 12:29:45 PM »

I know that some shows still haven't rolled out yet, but most of the ones that I had any interest in have premiered (or I've missed them and don't care enough).

The only show thus far that I will be following long term is Friday Night Lights.  The writing is great, the tension levels appropriate, the acting superb and the characters are well developed.  I really enjoyed the movie (often shaking my head in disbelief) and the show is shot like mini movies each week.

Brilliant!  thumbsup
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 12:34:50 PM »

From what I've watched, probably Studio 60

However, I still haven't watched any episodes of:

Heroes
The Nine
Dexter
Friday Night Lights
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 12:42:00 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 11, 2006, 12:29:45 PM

I know that some shows still haven't rolled out yet, but most of the ones that I had any interest in have premiered (or I've missed them and don't care enough).

The only show thus far that I will be following long term is Friday Night Lights.  The writing is great, the tension levels appropriate, the acting superb and the characters are well developed.  I really enjoyed the movie (often shaking my head in disbelief) and the show is shot like mini movies each week.

Brilliant!  thumbsup

So of course:

Quote from: USAtoday.com
Between NBC's two biggest bets, Friday Night Lights had the worst start of any new drama, averaging 7.2 million viewers last week
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 01:31:33 PM »

I'm really liking Heroes and Studio 60.  I'm also pretty hooked on Vanished but I think it's going to get the axe. Friday Night Lights just seems... I dunno.  Plain?  Whitebread?  Like any one of about a dozen movies I've seen?  Not sure why it doesn't appeal but my coworker raved about the first episode.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 01:48:10 PM »

I've watched at least 2 episodes each of Heroes, Shark, The Class, Jericho and Smith and none of them have gained me as a follower. None of the others got any interest from me based on the promos. I played tennis with the mom of one of the actors on Friday Night Lights, I didn't get her son's name though so I don't know which one he is.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 01:53:28 PM »

I think probably Jericho, with Heroes coming in second, but this crop of shows this year have been underwhelming.

Edited to say that Heroes lost me, it just got boring, and that Dexter, which I hadn't seen when I wrote this post originally, is easily the best of this rather lackluster year.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 01:58:47 PM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 01:59:12 PM »

So far, I think Studio 60 is the best of the new shows, with Heroes close behind. As far as comedies go, I've only seen a little bit of The Class and Till Death, and they're ok, but nothing I'll watch regularly.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 02:40:43 PM »

Nothing I'm sold on that is new this season.  The only new one I've tuned into more than once is Heroes, and after this week I'm not sure that I'll spend the time anymore (maybe one more week).

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 03:14:20 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 11, 2006, 01:53:28 PM

I think probably Jericho, with Heroes coming in second, but this crop of shows this year have been underwhelming.

Pretty much the same for me.  I liked Smith but it just got the axe, and I got the Nine recorded but haven't watched it yet.  Studio 60 fell flat for me, as did Vanished and Standoff.  I keep on forgetting about Shark, and totally forgot about Kidnapped until I heard the news it got cancelled.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 03:33:59 PM »

I like sci fi's Eureka.  I haven't found a new network TV show that grabs me. Jericho comes as close as any I suppose.

Ye Olde Farte
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 03:47:03 PM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on October 11, 2006, 03:33:59 PM

I like sci fi's Eureka.  I haven't found a new network TV show that grabs me. Jericho comes as close as any I suppose.

Eureka was good, but the seasons over.  I recorded the season finale, but for some reason Sci-Fi was running behind with their later repeat showing at midnight so I missed the last 5-10 minutes as my DVR cut it off exactly at 1am  icon_mad

Because I can,
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 06:42:43 PM »

Runaway has been pretty decent.

Wanted to catch the newest season of Battlestar Galactica but I held off watching it because I still haven't seen 2.5.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 07:12:37 PM »

Heroes and Dexter are the only new ones that have made the cut.  The Nine has only shown the premiere which I thought was OK, so I'll give it a week or so before I decide on that one.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 05:10:43 AM »

Quote from: ATB on October 11, 2006, 12:42:00 PM

Brilliant!  thumbsup

So of course:

Between NBC's two biggest bets, Friday Night Lights had the worst start of any new drama, averaging 7.2 million viewers last week

Just FYI, Friday Night Lights has gotten a full season.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 06:12:47 AM »

30 Rock is great. Haven't watched any other new shows though.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 09:30:54 AM »

Heroes is my vote.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 10:21:48 AM »

Quote from: Lee on November 14, 2006, 06:12:47 AM

30 Rock is great.
+1  thumbsup
Loving this show so far.  Alec Baldwin is gold and Katie Bowden is hawt.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 01:28:34 PM »

Dexter is the best of the season, others aren't even close, then it drops to Jericho at #2.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 01:40:54 PM »

Quote from: GGMark on November 14, 2006, 09:30:54 AM

Heroes is my vote.

+1 Shouldn't this be a poll?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 01:45:34 PM »

dexter ftw
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 02:45:48 PM »

Nothing this season has even come close to grabbing my attention.  Thankfully I have all my shows from last season.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 04:10:23 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 14, 2006, 01:28:34 PM

Dexter is the best of the season, others aren't even close, then it drops to Jericho at #2.

others arent even close is right. the acting and depth of that show is unlike anything else on tv right now imo
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 05:03:12 PM »

Quote from: ElijahPrice on November 14, 2006, 04:10:23 PM

Quote from: jblank on November 14, 2006, 01:28:34 PM

others arent even close is right. the acting and depth of that show is unlike anything else on tv right now imo

It certainly is up with shows like Battlestar Galactica, Big Love, and The Sopranos, as far as I am concerned. That cast has amazing chemistry, and Michael C. Hall should get Emmy nominations for how good of a job he does playing Dex.

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 07:55:03 PM »

good call on BSG, and GREAT call on Big Love. those are two of the most well-done series on tv.

Michael C. Hall is amazingly talented and the way the supporting cast (save his dumbed-down sis) orbit, but dont trump, him is awesome.

i like the miami setting too.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2006, 12:10:38 AM »

Quote from: Graham on November 14, 2006, 05:10:43 AM

Quote from: ATB on October 11, 2006, 12:42:00 PM

Brilliant!  thumbsup

So of course:

Just FYI, Friday Night Lights has gotten a full season.

Right on. This is a killer show. I love Kyle Chandler's character; just enough badassness to keep those punks in line. Plus, all the hott chix on the show don't hurt. It's been nice the past two weeks seeing Lyla in various cleavage baring outfits. :icon_eek:

ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2006, 03:32:57 PM »

Heroes and Studio 60 tops my list. 30 rock is also pretty good and Ugly Betty has also captured my attention.

Following several returning shows too:

BSG
House
Bones
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2006, 07:49:11 PM »

Any of you watch that show "The Class" or something sandwiched in between "How I Met Your Mother" and "Two and a Half Men"?

Boy, does that show suck a turd.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 07:28:29 PM »

Quote from: ElijahPrice on November 14, 2006, 01:45:34 PM

dexter ftw
A year later, and Dexter still kicks all kind of ass.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2007, 07:30:13 PM »

Wtf is with the forum necromancy?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2007, 09:44:15 PM »

Burn Notice

Slick, cool, and it has Bruce Campbell in it.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2007, 09:48:27 PM »

My wife and I have been watching Chuck (NBC), Reaper(CW), Life (NBC), My Name is Earl, The Office, 30 Rock and Scrubs.  Other than the Thursday shows, all those are new and pretty good so far.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2007, 10:54:23 PM »

One of my favorite new shows (this year edition) is Big Bang Theory.  It's just so nerd-funny.

Gamertag = IkeV
unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 12:03:12 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 26, 2007, 07:30:13 PM

Sometimes I'm tempted to go to the first post EVAR... and resurrect it.  But I never do.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 01:18:47 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on November 27, 2007, 12:03:12 AM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 26, 2007, 07:30:13 PM

Sometimes I'm tempted to go to the first post EVAR... and resurrect it.  But I never do.

if you bring back the first post it will consume all other posts as Gehenna prevails.

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2007, 02:47:25 AM »

Welp, it's funny what a difference a year can make.

My wife and I anxiously tuned into the season premiere of Friday Night Lights this year and all was well until the stupidest ass writing decision I've ever seen in a show ever: have two of the main characters murder someone.  Completely out of left field and totally out of place for the show.

We haven't watched another episode since.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2007, 03:44:24 PM »

Chuck is the hands down winner for me. My enthusiasm for that show has only gone up since the start of the season.  nod Last night's finale...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Nice cliffhanger with a new intersect being built, and Chuck doomed to be 'taken care of'. I guess that's how the second half of the season would've built up to, if the writers weren't on strike.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2007, 03:47:36 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 27, 2007, 02:47:25 AM

My wife and I anxiously tuned into the season premiere of Friday Night Lights this year and all was well until the stupidest ass writing decision I've ever seen in a show ever: have two of the main characters murder someone.  Completely out of left field and totally out of place for the show.

Too bad, it's been pretty damn awesome.  I didn't care for that plot turn either but so far they've handled it far better than I could have imagined/hoped for and the rest of the show is as good or better than ever. 
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2007, 03:53:21 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 04, 2007, 03:47:36 PM

Quote from: ATB on November 27, 2007, 02:47:25 AM

Too bad, it's been pretty damn awesome.  I didn't care for that plot turn either but so far they've handled it far better than I could have imagined/hoped for and the rest of the show is as good or better than ever. 

Is it doing any better in the ratings? I just finished watching the first season on DVD (which was EXCELLENT), and I'm hoping it'll stick around awhile. Oh, and thanks for the spolier alert, ATB. This is all you needed to do:

Spoiler for Hiden:
There is no Santa Claus.

See?  Tongue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2007, 03:56:17 PM »

Ratings are generally crap however I've heard that it's doing pretty decently in it's demographics, especially for Friday night.  So there is probably a decent chance of it hanging around.

It helps that they have a lot more in the can pre-strike than almost every other show (fifteen episodes) so FNL will be showing new episodes long after most other shows have gone dark. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2007, 06:41:31 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 04, 2007, 03:56:17 PM

Ratings are generally crap however I've heard that it's doing pretty decently in it's demographics, especially for Friday night.  So there is probably a decent chance of it hanging around.

It helps that they have a lot more in the can pre-strike than almost every other show (fifteen episodes) so FNL will be showing new episodes long after most other shows have gone dark. 

Good to hear.  I enjoy the show quite a lot, though I do think Season 1 was way, way better than Season 2 so far.  Still, it's one of the two or three shows we actually watch together and I am interested in what happens every week.

gellar
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: