http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:50:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best music download site  (Read 1373 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2005, 05:31:58 AM »

I think someone has had a thread such as this before, but i can't seem to find it.
So i was looking for advice on what sites everyone uses to download songs?  Is everyone around $.99 a song?  I'm assuming you can burn cd's as well, correct?  I'm looking to make some cd's not transfer to an mp3 player or anything.  Can you preview a sites selection as well?
What's everyone using?

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 06:08:46 AM »

personally, i really like the iTunes service from Apple.  you can download individual songs for $0.99, and you can usually save a little on full albums...most are $9.99 even if they have more than ten songs, but some are more.  they also have 30-second clips of every song available for purchase, and they're the same quality as what you buy (no low-quality samples).  i've been using iTunes to preview a lot of albums before i buy them in the store...being able to hear high-quality 30-second clips of every track on an album is very nice.  to top it all off, the selection is pretty impressive...there are obviously going to be things they don't have, but Apple has done a very good job of getting labels to participate.  i've only gotten a few songs from them, but the quality has always been very good.  it is worth noting that iTunes does use Apple's proprietary AAC format for purchased music, but the iTunes software can burn those (as well as other formats) straight to disc.  if you need mp3s instead of AAC for some reason, you can always burn the AAC files to an audio CD, then rip them back into mp3 format.

aside from the music store features, i've been using the iTunes software to organize my music collection for more than six months now, and organizing a large library of music couldn't be easier.  the ripping features also work well if you want to load up some of your own CDs, and burning audio CDs is quick and easy...create a playlist, click 'Burn,' and you're all set in just a few minutes.  the iTunes software is a free download and is great for playing back music even if you don't buy from them.  i highly recommend checking it out Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 03:01:29 PM »

I like to use the Walmart.com music downloads.  They come in .wmv with the the restrictions of 10 cd burns and use on only 2 other computers.  They songs are only .88 each with albums being 9.44 each.  The selection is pretty good as well although not as big as iTunes, so I use walmart to buy some of my music and iTunes to buy the rest.  Avoid Sony Connect at all costs.  The software is buggy and the format will only play on Sony products.

I usually don't buy full albums.  With Deepdiscountcd.com, I can get the full album for roughly the same price as the full download.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 06:09:26 PM »

Quote from: "dangerballs"
Avoid Sony Connect at all costs.  The software is buggy and the format will only play on Sony products.

i loaded up the Sony Connect software to take advantage of a few free downloads that i had received...i'll agree that it does indeed suck.  their proprietary format will only play with the Sony Connect player or a Sony device, although you can burn the tracks to an audio CD then re-rip them in whatever format you choose.  it's definitely not the best service available though.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 07:20:51 PM »

how about napster?  also, i remember before when it was all free, some songs you downloaded were terrible in quality or either were not even the songs that the title said they were.  is this still the case?  if i'm paying for a song, i'd want to be sure it's cd quality before i pay for it.  how does that work now?

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 08:42:27 PM »

Napster is now like any other download store: it's songs are encoded professionally at a set bitrate, so the quality is consistent. I belive they use 128 kbps for their Windows Media Audio files. They also offer streams of various bitrates.

Playing the same songs off of iTunes (128 kbps AAC) and Napster (128 kbps WMA), I couldn't really tell the difference between the two. I use iTunes because it's got the best interface for the store, and it's been my media player software for years. I've not found any other program where building playlists is as easy as in iTunes. They also tend to have most of what I want, which isn't always true for the WMA stores.

The MSN Music store is pretty much the exact same as iTunes or Napster in terms of quality/DRM, and has a very good selection as well. It's built into Windows Media Player 10, so if anyone's not going to be using iTunes I think they should check out MSN as well as Napster and maybe MusicMatch (which uses 160 kbps WMA files).

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 03:18:31 AM »

ok i checked out napster but i see it costs $9.95 a month plus the .99 or whatever a song.  does everyone require a monthly fee or is this just napster?  if this is the case, i'll be passing.  i'm disappointed i would have to pay a monthly fee and a fee for each song.
any that don't require a monthly fee?

warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 03:30:13 AM »

Quote from: "Xmann"

iTunes
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 04:20:13 AM »

Quote from: "warning"

iTunes

not only is iTunes completely free (until you buy something), but they also do not require any personal info for registration to the iTunes Store until you're actually making a purchase.  you can download the software and browse to your hearts content without giving up an info (with the possible exception of an e-mail address...i can't remember anymore).  even if you don't buy anything from iTunes, it's still a great music player and even has quite a few good internet radio stations built in Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 07:13:05 AM »

ok i checked out napster but i see it costs $9.95 a month plus the .99 or whatever a song.  does everyone require a monthly fee or is this just napster?  if this is the case, i'll be passing.  i'm disappointed i would have to pay a monthly fee and a fee for each song.

Napster only costs $9.95 a month for their all-you-can-download plan, which lets you download many of their songs without a per-track cost and play them on your computer. However, these songs cannot be synced to a portable player or burned to a CD. Microsoft's Janus technology will make the syncing possible in the near future, but only through Windows Media Player 10 (and for $14.95 or $19.95, I'm not sure which, to Napster).

You can use Napster just like the iTunes store, browse, pick and buy for 99ยข without a subscription fee.

The problem with Napster's hybrid approach is that some songs are subscription only, others are download only, so you end up with a hodgepodge of songs which may not have similar usage rights. If you're going to offer the two models, I think that you should be sure that all songs are availlable under both. Napster wasn't willing to stand up to the labels and push that, I guess.

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 11:56:53 AM »

I'm an itunes fan. Best music store ever.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2005, 01:44:05 PM »

itunes it is.  i'm not even gonna fool with napster and wondering if a song i want can be burned to a cd or what-not.
thanks for the replies  :roll:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: